Simcoe Island StatisticsCopyright 2004 Pat McAvoy-Costin
Simcoe Island has a reputation of being the stormiest island in the St. Lawrence since it is open to the winds that sweep across Lake Ontario from the north.
The lighthouse was first established in 1833. According to the 1880 map of the island, the lighthouse occupied SI 1-3. There are stories that the land was purchased for $600 or donated by William BREDEN who lived on the island. BREDEN continued to live on the Island (SI 4-9) after the lighthouse was constructed and supposedly requested the government make sure “a good fence be put up.”
The tower that was erected in 1833 still stands today after 170 years of service. The tower is between 41-45 feet in height. It has a white cylindrical stone tower with a red lantern. The light is a flashing white light and it occurs every 10 seconds. It is visible for 17 nautical miles. A fog bell was added to the structure in 1874.
The light was one of the first major lights constructed on one of the Great Lakes. The Canadian government provided 750 pounds sterling ($2,918 US) for the purpose of constructing this light. Besides taking a helicopter or boat, the only way to get to the lighthouse is by taking the ferry that travels on demand between Wolfe Island and Simcoe Island. This ferry only operates on a seasonal basis. Once on Simcoe Island, there is only one main East-West main road on Simcoe Island. Taking the road from the ferry, it is about a four mile journey to the lighthouse on the western most point on the island. In 1989 the Canadian Federal Heritage Review Board designated the tower as a Federal Heritage Building and a gravel road and a helipad were built to service the light.
The land and buildings adjacent to the lighthouse are now on private property.
The land and buildings around the light are privately owned today. The lighthouse itself is still maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard.
The Islands: Lighthouses: Simcoe Island Statistics