Roman Milestone, Belgrave Gate, Leicester, in 1836.
In 1771 a Roman milestone was discovered by workers involved
in extracting gravel near the Fosse Road, by the old toll-gate at Thurmaston.
For several years after its discovery the milestone remained exposed
to the elements, until, in 1783, it was acquired by Leicester Corporation,
who had it erected as part of a lamp standard in Belgrave Gate, Leicester.
In 1844 the Leicester Literary and Philosophical Society had the milestone
removed to the Leicester Town Museum, as the stone was suffering from
damage. Today the milestone is housed in Leicester's Jury Wall, Museum.
The milestone bears an inscription, translated as: