Dulesgate (Bacup Road)


Map Ref. SD 926231


There were two mills at Friths, which is at the lower end of Dulesgate towards the Gauxholme junction. These mills are known variously as Frithswood or Frithswood Bottom, or more recently, Friths Picker Works, but can be best described as The Old Mill and The New Mill.


Old mill and chimney in foreground,

new mill and 2 chimneys beyond that.

Photo kindly sent by David Martin


Known occupiers


Old Mill
New Mill

1802 - 1813

HELLIWELL John & Thomas




HELLIWELL John jnr. & Thomas


ORMEROD Abraham & Bros.


HELLIWELL John & William


HELLIWELL William executors


HELLIWELL John & executors of William










BULCOCK John & Co.


HOLT Martin


HOLDEN William




BARKER William & CRABTREE Richard

St. Aidan's Church Mission


BARKER Luke & Sons

Still in use 2008

1935 onwards

TEMPERLEY J. H. & Son Ltd.


Illustrated history


MICHAEL HELLIWELL was a yeoman farmer and the owner of a considerable amount of land in the vicinity of Todmorden. He was a member of the HELLIWELL FAMILY of Greenhurst Hey and Houghstone farms in Stansfield. He died in 1802, leaving to his two sons John and Thomas a piece of land that included:

"a fall or descent in the river or brook running through the same common (Friths) called the Mitchelden brook and all privileges needful to the erecting & occupying any factory or factories which may be erected thereon ... They have equal right to the descent in the said brook from a stone post now put down at or near the top of Mr Edward Dearden’s mill dam up to the lower end of the Tail Gait belonging to Messrs Greenwood and Hamer’s factory and to divert it to any factory to be built by them on any part of my tenement called Friths as tenants in common."

The two brothers duly built a mill on this land at Friths, but in 1813 John died. He was childless and left his half share of the mill and appurtenances to his brother's eldest son, John:

"one half part of all watercourses, streams, dams, gaits, sluices and privileges; one half part of a building mill or factory lately erected at the joint costs of me and Thomas in Mitchelden Brook in Todmorden and Walsden otherwise Hundersfield pa Rochdale now Lancashire in our joint occupation and one half part of all watercourses to the same belonging ... and my half part of the water wheel and all the other wheels, gears and machines employed in the building or factory at Mitchelden Brook for the spinning of cotton."

So father and eldest son were runing the mill at Friths between them. John was just 20 years old at this time and still living with his parents. Immediately next door to the mill was Friths House where they lived. Thomas built this house for his family at his own expense. It was described as a mansion with gardens and orchards, occupying an area of over 1400 square yards.


reconstruction drawing of the old mill and Friths House by kind permission of the widow of Lawrence Greenwood

The old mill had four storeys and was turned by waterpower. The premises included a stable, coach house and reservoir, and comprised an area of about 2,790 square yards. The water wheel was 27 feet tall and 5 feet wide.


In 1814, Thomas Helliwell of Friths bought a pair of spinning mules from Jeremiah Jackson of Todmorden for £74.

Thomas died at Friths in 1823, followed two years later by his wife Sally. He left the entire Friths Estate to his younger son, William, including the mill and Friths House. So the mill was now in the hands of two brothers once again.

Sometime before 1830, there was a large field up the hillside in Stansfield belonging to Greenhurst Hey Farm. The field was known as Olympus. John Helliwell set about cultivating this field and making it into good pasture, but before that, the field grew nothing but moss-crops. John gathered up large quantities of this, carted it to his mill at Friths, where it was carded and spun just like raw cotton, and then put out to be woven to make an outfit of clothing for none other than King George IV. It was destined to make breeches, a vest, a coat and two pairs of stockings for the King. The clothing was finished and sent down to London, but unfortunately, on 26th June 1830, the King died. It is not recorded whether he ever saw the homegrown clothing.

King George IV


William was more of a "hands on" manager of the business, preferring to live at Friths House, whilst his brother John enjoyed the life of a Gentleman and lived at Greenhurst Hey in Stansfield - the old ancestral home.

The business prospered and by 1834, William decided to build another mill on the opposite side of the road to run in conjunction with the old mill.


Built in 1834 by William, the stone for the new mill was quarried nearby above Friths farmhouse. Before the building was finished, when there were three storeys erected, there was a tremendous storm, with high winds. A great deal of damage was done to all the buildings and in particular to the unfinished mill. The walls collapsed and the work had to start again from scratch.


Eventually, the masons completed the mill. An engine and boilers were installed, followed by the gearing and machinery. The bottom room was fitted out with machinery for turning steam powered weaving looms. The new mill was opposite to the old one, and was known simply as Friths Mill.

Pipes were laid from a reservoir on Friths Estate to the mills for safety reasons in case of fire, and the Helliwell Brothers continued to use the Old Mill alongside the new one, and in due course a 10-horse power high pressure steam engine was installed in the old mill, with a boiler to match.

In about 1836, Messrs. Ormerod Brothers took on the lease of the bottom room of the new mill as a weaving shed for their own mill at GORPLEY, a little further up the valley. This was a temporary measure by the Ormerods, who were in the throws of extending and converting Gorpley Mill to weaving. By 1838, the alterations were completed and the Ormerods moved their operations back to Gorpley.


Whilst all this was going on, William Helliwell became embroiled in local affairs, both political and religious. He was a keen supporter of St. Mary's Church in Todmorden, and in 1840 was appointed as a member of a deputation and committee charged with raising a petition and delivering it to the incumbent at St. Chad's in Rochdale regarding the restoration and re-opening of St. Mary's Church, which had been left derelict for several years.

The old mill


His political efforts provoked more controversy as he was in direct conflict with John Fielden MP. During the mid 1830's, there was considerable REBELLION in Todmorden due to the Government's new Poor Law Amendment Act. This act was deeply unpopular. Whilst William was not a supporter of the proposed regime, he was against illegal and unconstitutional action taken by many of his counterparts, in particular John Fielden.

William resented the Fielden Brothers' domination of Todmorden, and thought it better to fight the new laws from within rather than by outright rebellion. With this in mind, he put himself forward for election to the newly formed Board of Guardians. At the inaugural election meeting in 1837, all the nominees for the townships of Todmorden & Walsden and Langfield withdrew, leaving the Union with only four Guardians. At the second meeting, William was duly elected. This provoked a great deal of animosity between him and John Fielden, who withdrew all trade and business between the Fielden Brothers and the Helliwell Brothers. As their respective mills were neighbours in Dulesgate, this would not have helped the Helliwells.


One of the row of cottages in 2006

The Helliwell brothers erected two sets of cottages, a group of 11 at Friths Wood Bottom, and a further 6 nearer Stoneswood. These were substantial stone built cottages, and offered out to the workforce to rent.
William Helliwell took charge of the new mill. He was married to Sarah and had two daughters, Martha and Lydia. By 1840, the work at the mill was in full swing.

Friths mill is at the back with the chimney


Things had been slack the previous couple of years, during which time, William put his workers on short time, but continued to employ the men in other ways. They felled timber in Friths Wood and stubbed the land to make it into meadow. 

In 1841, William's family was at the mill along with the mill manager, Robert Law and his family. Robert and his wife Susey had four children. The oldest, Job, was apprenticed to William Helliwell for five years with the consent of his father on March 15th 1844. He was just 16 years old. However, tragedy struck the family a year later when Job died at Friths Mill. Job had three younger sisters, Sarah, Ellen and Alice, all born at Friths. Sadly for the girls, both parents died during 1848 leaving them orphaned. Robert, aged just 46, left a will. Everything went to the three girls. Sarah inherited an oak clock, a bed and bedding, a dresser, a round table and £40. Ellen was left a post bed and bedding, a clock without a case, a chest of oak drawers and cupboard, a long deal table and £40. The youngest, Alice, received a cradle, a little bed and bedding, a long settle, an oak chest, a round table with an iron bottom, a large bible and £40. They were to share the residue. Sarah, aged 17 at the time, was left in charge of her siblings. She continued to work at Friths Mill as a frame tenter and they lived in one of the mill cottages at Friths.

Other workers from the mill were living in the nearby cottages. There were two overlookers, Edmund Barker aged 30 and John Laycock also aged 30. Then there was James Smith aged 30, William Greenwood aged 35, Abraham Crabtree aged 42, Abraham Crossley aged 45 and Samuel Law aged 25 to name but a few.

By 1851, William Helliwell was farming 32 acres in addition to being a cotton spinner and manufacturer. He employed one agricultural labourer, and together with brother and partner, John, employed 45 men and 76 women at Friths Mill. His farm labourer was pensioner Henry Fielden, aged 74. His overlookers seem to be John Whitehead aged 41; Thomas Lord aged 56, and James Smith, aged 52.

On December 15th. 1856, William died. In the absence of a son and heir, his widow Sarah took over the running of the manufacturing business. Despite his wealth, William failed to make a will. His estate was administered in due course, with the interest on one third being granted to his widow Sarah for her lifetime, and the whole estate being granted equally to his two daughters. His daughter Martha, now married to Richard Hardacre, was assessed for what is now Inheritance Tax as can be seen from the following document, transcribed and kindly submitted by Reg Postlethwaite.




Register H of the Year 1856. Folio 741.


An ACCOUNT of the SUCCESSION to REAL PROPERTY of Martha Hardacre (late Martha Helliwell spinster) of Hellifield near Long Preston in the county of York upon the Death of William Helliwell (her father) who died on the fifteenth day of December 1856, derived from the said William Helliwell the Predecessor under his Intestacy. The said Martha Hardacre being one of his two daughters and Co-heiress at Law (Letters of Administration of his personal Estate granted to Sarah Helliwell Widow by the Manchester District Court of Probate 15 January 1859 (Reg.Intest.1 1859 fo. 94) delivered by the said Martha Hardacre the Successor

saleable value   annual value
One undivided moiety of half part of the undermentioned real estate, namely:
A farm called Cowfield in Trawden and Colne occupied by William Hartley at £50 a year
A farm called Friths in Todmorden & Walsden namely Farm House Buildings and land let to Henry Farrow at £75
Six cottages at Woodbottom near Friths occupied by John Pilling and others at £6.6.0. each
Eleven cottages and a picker shop at same place let to Thomas Lord, Thomas Shaw, and others at £68.5.0.
Two cottages near Friths Mill occupied by Sarah Law and another at £8
Old Farmhouse at Friths now in three cottages occupied by Samuel Fielding and others at £7.10.0.
Messuage or dwelling house at Friths with barn, stable, warehouse and other buildings and gardens late occupied by Mr. Helliwell the predecessor and now by his widow and younger daughter assessed to property tax at £39.16.0.
Cotton mill or factory at Friths called the New Mill with steam engine boilers, scutching room, and other buildings and premises late occupied by the predecessor and now by his widow and daughter assessed to property tax at £383.0.11.
The late Mr. Helliwell's moiety of a mill and premises called Old Mill at Friths with water power etc. occupied by Mr. John Helliwell (the other part-owner) and the predecessor's family assessed to property tax at £182.1.6.

Note: all the above mentioned property is of freehold tenure except the farm called Cowfield, which is copyhold.

DEDUCTIONS                                                     capital     annual payments 


One moiety of a mortgage debt of £7000 at 5.5% borrowed by the predecessor from Thomas Riley esq. and to which his whole real estate was and still is subject
Insurance on mill property and Friths House and warehouse. £35.14.0. on New Mill etc. and £14.14.0. on Old Mill etc.
Poor and Highway rates paid by landlord on the cottage property

Average cost of yearly repairs or outlay to keep up rental and value, viz:

On two farms and Friths House 5% on £82.8.5.

On cottage property 7.5% on £60.15.6.

On mill property 10% on £237.9.0.

The Dower or Thirds of Sarah Helliwell the widow of the predecessor in the net income of the entire property for her life, viz: one third


Total gross annual value

Total annual value of deductions

Net annual value











In 1861, Sarah Helliwell is still there, at Friths House, with her daughter Lydia, although she has a new manager. He is John Whitehead the former overlooker, aged 51. John is living at Friths Wood with his wife Ann and son William. William is aged 24 and is also recorded as being a mill manager. James Smith has moved on, but Thomas Lord is still an overlooker. Many of the other people living at Friths are cotton mill workers, presumably at this mill.

In the early 1860's, the effects of the American Civil War began to hit the Todmorden cotton industry very hard. Many mills were put on short time or closed entirely. Friths was no exception. During this period, cotton manufacture ceased at the old mill and the building was leased out to various picker making firms.


Between 1860 and 1861 the firm Hargreaves and Pilling, Picker Makers, ran the works. William Hargreaves and John Pilling were brothers-in-law by virtue of William's marriage to John's sister Mary. The two families were living side by side at Friths Wood Bottom in 1861. John Pilling was the Master Picker Maker. He was a 35 year old widower with four small children, looked after by his oldest sister, Betty Pilling. William and Mary Hargreaves had no children at this time.

The Old Mill and its chimney in 2006


In 1861 Some of their employees lived in the cottages. There was Thomas Sutcliffe aged 41 with his wife Sarah, 18 year old James Law who lived with his parents, and also a 12 year old boy, YOUNG HELLIWELL, all declared to be Picker Makers.


By 1863 the Helliwells were struggling. The American Civil War began to bite and the cotton panic started. Friths Mill suffered along with the rest of the cotton mills. The Helliwells pulled out after 70 years and the whole estate was sold.

In the advertisement of the sale, the New Mill was descibed as a substantial stone building as follows:

"All that modern and spacious mill or factory called The New Mill situate at Friths with the warehouse, manager’s house, offices, cottage, scutching room, steam engines, boilers, chimney, mill gearing, wain and cross shafting, gas pipes, water and steam piping, vacant pieces of land and outbuildings thereto belonging, lately the property and in the occupation of William Helliwell deceased ... The steam engine of the new mill is 30 horse power and the floorage of the buildings is 3358 square yards"

The Old Mill was also described as a substantial stone building as follows:

"All that other mill or factory called the Old Mill situate at Friths near Todmorden, with the water wheel, steam engine, boiler, mill gearing, shafting, gas water and steam pipes, stable, coach house, and outbuildings thereto belonging and in the occupation of Messrs. J. and W. Helliwell. The premises with the reservoir and goit from the mill to the turnpike comprise an area of 2789 square yards ... The water fall is 8 yards and the water wheel 27 feet by 5 feet, which equals 5.5 horse power. The engine in Lot 2 is 10 horse, high pressure, and the boiler 15 horse."

JOHN FIELDEN OF DOBROYD purchased the mills and the whole Friths Estate, together with lands from the neighbouring Stones Estate, and it was there where he built his castle, Dobroyd Castle.

Meanwhile, John Helliwell continued to live at Greenhurst Hey, where he farmed the land in addition to his cotton manufacturing duties. He acquired another mill at Holebottom in Todmorden and lived the life of a country gentleman. Maybe this was his downfall. Through his inheritances from his uncle John and his father, he had been a major landowner, but in January 1864 he found himself in the bankruptcy courts. In May 1864 he was forced to sell all his real estate, which included Heyhead in Stansfield, Windy Harbour in Stansfield, Holebottom Mill, and the ancestral home at Greenhurst Hey. When he died in 1871, his estate was sworn at under £20 in value.

The old mill

After John Fielden of Dobroyd purchased the mills, the Fielden Brothers used part of the New Milll as an out-works for their main mills from 1866 to 1890. The other part was offered for lease as a brewery as can be seen from the following advertisement:

The Leeds Mercury 

Saturday, May 16, 1868;

To Brewers

To be let, some very eligible premises, readily convertible into a first class brewery, situate in Dulesgate, near Todmorden, in the county of Lancaster, adjoining to the turnpike road from Todmorden to Bacup and Haslingden, and about one mile from the Todmorden and Walsden stations on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

There is an abundant supply of water, which analytically is rarely to be met with, for the production of malt liquor, and there being no other brewery in the extensive and populous valley and district of Todmorden, (save one small one recently erected) , it is conceived an enterprising man has an opportunity seldom equalled for the development of the very lucrative business of a brewer.

Near to the proposed brewery is a neat and comfortable residence, with terraced garden, shrubberies, offices, stables, and other conveniences, which would be let therewith.

John Fielden Eqs., of Dobroyd, Todmorden, the owner, will appoint a person to show, and will supply all requisite information about the premises, which for an approved tenant, he would fit up with the most modern machinery, utensils &c., should a negotiation for a lease be entered into. Particulars of the premises &c., can also be had from Mr. Mallinson, solicitor, Lords Chambers, Corporation St., Manchester.


JOHN BULCOCK and Company, Brewers, took the lease. So, the mill was shared between cotton and beer. What a strange combination!

The Bulcock family arrived from the Burnley area and settled initially in Spring Cottages, Dulesgate, close to the mill. In 1871, the family is there and consists of 39 year old John with his wife Eliza and their four children. John's brewing business prospered at the mill he shared with the Fielden brothers, so much so that in 1880 he was able to move on to lease, renovate and re-build Gauxholme Cotton Mill as a brewery. There were two other men in the brewing trade at Friths when John Bulcock was occupying the mill. They were William Holden, brewer, and James Denbigh, an agent for ale. These two men lived next door to each other with their respective families in 1871, and were also from Burnley.


Luke Barker

Richard Crabtree and brothers William and LUKE BARKER, trading under the name Barkers and Crabtree, purchased the cotton part of the mill in 1878 and added a weaving shed. These three astute business men already leased the top half of the Joint Stock Mill's weaving units at CROW CARR INGS and Wadsworth Mill.

John Bulcock, having taken on the lease of the mill at Gauxholme in 1880, handed over his brewery part of the tenancy of Friths to his previous employee, William Holden. William was there in 1881, employing 7 men at his brewery. However, Barkers and Crabtree took over the lease of the whole mill from 1881 and William presumably retired. He would have been 61 years old. From then on, the brewery side of things was finished at Friths.

Barkers and Crabtree continued as cotton spinners and manufacturers at Friths, Wadsworth Mill and Crow Carr Ings, adding DANCROFT MILL at Gauxholme, and the remaining portion of the Joint Stock Shed to their list of acquisitions. In 1890, the partnership dissolved. Luke Barker and his two sons, John and Robert, continued to run the Joint Stock Shed, Dancroft Mill and Friths, trading under the name Luke Barker and Sons. They installed Alfred Barnes of Heptonstall as manager at Friths Mill. Alfred was living at Friths House in 1891, and was still there in 1901. Luke died in July 1896, leaving his sons in charge. They continued trading under their father's name.

During 1900, the brothers made extensive alterations to the mill, including the installation of a new engine. The new machine was started by Robert Barker on 28th July. The cylinders were Christened by Mrs. John Barker of Stansfield Hall, and named 'Grace' and 'Rachel'. The Oldham Boiler Company installed a new steel boiler, and electric light was fitted throughout the mill.


Robert Barker went on to join the army, serving with distinction in the Great War in the 6th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, initially as Captain, and later as Major. At the end of the war, Major Barker stood for Parliament in the Sowerby Division as a candidate for the Discharged Sailors and Soldiers Association. Polling Day was Saturday December 14th 1918, and the result was:

Major R.H. Barker (D.S. and S.) 8,287

J.W. Ogden (Labour) 7,306

J.S. Higham (Liberal) 6,778


Robert stood down in 1922 because of the pressing need of the family textile business. The firm eventually went out of business in 1934, leaving Friths Mill idle for 12 months until Jack Temperley purchased it.


J. H. Temperley & Son about 1961 kindly sent by David Martin

Jack's family was involved in the manufacture of sanitary pipes, with two sites already on Bacup Road, at SAUNDERCLOUGH and Sharneyford. Jack formed his own company, J. H. Temperley and Co. Ltd. and worked from Friths Mill.

Roy Temperley (Managing Director) – Young Uttley (Maintenance Engineer) – Jack Uttley (Yard Foreman) – Barker Holden (Head Moulder) – Roy Nuttall (Company Secretary) – and David Martin (Senior Clerk), about 1961. Photo kindly sent by David Martin


When Temperleys finished, the new mill was demolished. In its life, New Mill saw cotton manufacture, beer brewing and sanitary pipe manufacture. Nothing remains of this mill. It is now the site of some modern housing.

The Old Mill has fared better. From 1866 to 1881 it was occupied by Martin Holt, one of the SIX BROTHERS FROM SOURHALL who all made their mark in the picker making industry.


Fielden Holt

Martin and his family were living at Spring Cottages in 1871, which is next to the mill. He employed two men and one boy at his works. These employees appear to be his 18 year old son, Fielden Holt, Young Helliwell who previously worked for Hargreaves and Pilling when he was 12. He is now 22 and still with his parents at Frithswood Bottom. The third man is Christopher Smith, aged 30, also at Frithswood Bottom. By 1881, Martin and family were still in the same house, although he employed five men and four boys. His business was growing. His employees included his two sons, Fielden aged 28 and married with three children and his younger son John aged 15, plus John Sutcliffe aged 30, and the perennial Young Helliwell. They all lived in a row at Frithswood Bottom near the mill.


However, that same year Martin handed over the works to the man who had worked there all his life, Young Helliwell, who is married to Hannah with two small children. He continued as the man in charge until 1890. There were picker makers in the cottages in 1901, but nothing is known about this business after Young Helliwell left.

Later, St. Aidan's Church Mission occupied the second floor and there was a dance hall on the ground floor. The old mill is still there, and the chimney, having outlived its newer sister mill by many years.


Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group



Thomas Helliwell of Friths appears in the account books of Jeremiah Jackson. He bought a pair of mules for £74.

Baines 1822

Thomas Helliwell, cotton spinner

Pigot & Deane Directory 1824-5

William Helliwell, Friths Mill Gauxholme, cotton spinner

Baines Diectory 1825

John and William Helliwell, Friths Factory, cotton spinners

Pigot’s Directory 1828-29

John and William Helliwell, Friths Mill, cotton spinners

Parson & Whites Directory 1830

John and William Helliwell, Friths Mill, cotton spinners

Pigot’s Directory 1834

John and William Helliwell, Friths Mill, cotton spinners

John Helliwell & Co., Friths Mill, maltsters

1836 Parliamentary papers

Ormerod Bros. 40 cotton power looms; 23 employed; wages aged 12 to 18 at 4s. to 9s., aged 18+ at 10 to 18 shiliings, no difficulty obtaining labour.

List of Todmorden voters 30th July 1842

John Helliwell, living at Greenhurst Hey, freehold mill, Friths Mill.

Whites Directory 1842-43, 1847, 1853

John and William Helliwell, Friths Mill, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

1851 census

Friths; William Helliwell, cotton manufacturer employs 121. 55 men, 76 females; firm of 2.

Todmorden Rates Book 1860

Owned and occupied by John Helliwell, Friths; warehouse, engine house, mill; RV £118.15s.1d., cotton mill, RV £209.8s.8d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1861

Occupied by Mrs. Helliwell, owned by executors of William Helliwell, Friths; warehouse, engine house, mill; RV £118.15s.1d., cotton mill, RV £209.8s.8d.

Todmorden Advertiser 7th June 1862

Messrs Helliwell of Dulesgate have suspended operations. Their works are at a standstill and a large number of operatives are thrown out of employment.

Todmorden Rates Book 1863-65

Empty, owned by executors of William Helliwell, Friths; warehouse, engine house, mill; RV £118.15s.1d., cotton mill, RV £209.8s.8d. Scutch room £29.19s.4d.

Todmorden Advertiser 1st August 1863

Friths Mill, machinery for sale by auction, for preparing, spinning and doubling cotton.

Todmorden Advertiser 21st May 1864

Friths Mill and estate for sale, William Helliwell deceased.

Todmorden Rates Book 1866-67

Empty, owner John Fielden, cotton mill with power and gas works, Friths, RV £256.7s.0d.

Occupier Martin Holt, owner John Fielden, picker shop, Frithswood Bottom, RV £4.6s.6d. (1880 RV £11.10s.0d.)

Todmorden Rates Book 1868-79

Empty, owner John Fielden, cotton mill with power and gas works, Friths, RV £199.19s.0d.

Occupier John Bulcock & Co., owner John Fielden, brewery works, Friths, RV £86.13s.0d.

Occupier Martin Holt, owner John Fielden, picker shop, Frithswood Bottom, RV £4.6s.6d. (1880 RV £11.10s.0d.)

Kelly’s Directory 1877

Bulcock and Holden, Friths Brewery, Dulesgate

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1879

Barker & Crabtree, Friths Mill, empty.

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 6th Feb 1880

Barker & Crabtree, considerable number of new looms in to new shed at Friths, Dulesgate.

Todmorden Rates Books 1880

Occupier William Holden, owner John Fielden, brewery works, Friths, RV £80.10s.0d.

Occupier Martin Holt, owner John Fielden, picker shop, Frithswood Bottom, RV £4.6s.6d. (1880 RV £11.10s.0d.)

Owners and occupiers Barker & Crabtree, mill and steam power, Friths Mill, RV £362.5s.0d. (1885 RV £376, 1888 RV £402.5s.0d.)

Todmorden Rates Book 1881

Occupier Young Helliwell, owner John Fielden, picker shop, Frithswood Bottom, RV £4.10s.0d.

Occupier William Holden, owner John Fielden, brewery works, Friths, RV £80.10s.0d.

Owners and occupiers Barker & Crabtree, mill and steam power, Friths Mill, RV £362.5s.0d. (1885 RV £376, 1888 RV £402.5s.0d.)

Todmorden Rates Books 1882-88

Owners and occupiers Barker & Crabtree, mill and steam power, Friths Mill, RV £362.5s.0d. (1885 RV £376, 1888 RV £402.5s.0d.)

Occupier William Holden, owner John Fielden, brewery works, Friths, RV £17.0s.0d.

Halifax Courier 9th Feb 1884

William Barker, Luke Barker and Richard Crabtree, trading as Barker & Crabtree, Wadsworth, Friths, Dancroft and Joint Stock Mills, partnership dissolved by death of Richard Crabtree, 21st April 1883.

Halifax Courier 21st March 1885

Barker & Crabtree, Friths and Crow Carr Ings Mills, on short time

Slater’s Directory 1887

Barker & Crabtree, cotton spinners and manufacturers, Dancroft, Crow Carr Ings and Friths Mills.

Manchester Examiner 22nd July 1887

Barker & Crabtree (Friths, Crow Carr Ings, Wadsworth and Dancroft Mills), 18,000 spindles, 1,264 looms, weaving full time, spinning 4 days a week.

Todmorden Rates Books 1889

Occupier William Holden, owner John Fielden, brewery works, Friths, RV £17.0s.0d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1890

Empty, owner John Fielden, picker shop, Frithswood Bottom, RV £4.10s.0d.

Occupier William Holden, owner John Fielden, brewery works, Friths, RV £17.0s.0d.

Owner and occupier Luke Barker & Sons, mill and power, Friths, RV £402.5s.0d. (1893 RV £395.15s.0d.)

Todmorden Rates Book 1891-93

Owner and occupier Luke Barker & Sons, mill and power, Friths, RV £402.5s.0d. (1893 RV £395.15s.0d.)