Burnley Road




Map Ref SD898263

(until local re-organisation in 1894 the mill was mainly in Cliviger, just outside the Todmorden boundary)

Portsmouth Mill 2009


Known occupiers



Cotton mill on OS 6” map





John PICKLES Bros., leatherette


Turn Leathers Ltd.


James Haigh


James Haigh of Middleton in Lancashire was born in 1810, the son of John Haigh and Betty Fielden originally of Walsden, and grandson of JOHN HAIGH THE YOUNGER OF PASTURESIDE in Walsden. He was in partnership with James Green and others. The partnership was dissolved on the retirement of James Green in 1867. In 1857 James made his WILL, leaving “... all my lands, mills, collieries, partnership, property…" in trust for his wife and daughter. One of his trustees was John Collinge, who later took over at Portsmouth Mill. James died in 1873.



James Green

James Green of Portsmouth House, later called The Haven, was born in 1822 the son of John and Alice Green, farmers of Whalley. He was a successful architect, and designed Stoodley Pike, All Saints Church at Harley Wood in Todmorden, the restoration of the chancel at Whalley Parish Church, the Peel Institute (Accrington Town Hall), the market hall in Burnley and the Mechanics Institute in Burnley. He also designed and built Portsmouth Mill. James died in 1886.


Notes from John Travis, contemporary historian:

Whitehaven was an old black tumbledown house in 1846, and was then occupied by an old widow woman. She had reared her family there and in the month of October in that year there was a sale of black oak furniture, as she was going to live with one of her married daughters. The writer was present at the sale and it was then stated that the place was to be taken down and a new house built upon the site for Mr James Green, a member of the Cliviger Coal Company and the architect of the new Portsmouth Mill, the house being built later and called "The Haven."


Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group



Census 1851

James Green, Portsmouth House, aged 29, coal proprietor, merchant & cotton spinner, employs 45 men and 35 females in cotton factory, 160 colliers, and 10 masons.

James Haigh, Rochdale Road, Middleton, aged 40, a farmer of 25 acres employing 2 men.


White 1853

Haigh & Green, Portsmouth Mill, cotton spinners & manufacturers.


Slater 1855

Haigh, Green & Co. Portsmouth Mill, cotton spinners.


Todmorden Rates Book 1860-1870

Owned and occupied by Haigh & Green; half a warehouse; Carr Bottom; rateable value £16.8s.8d.

1866 – rateable value £17.5s.0d.


Census 1861

James Green, White Haven, aged 39, architect.

James Haigh, Radcliffe Cottage, Rochdale Road, Middleton, aged 50, coal proprietor.


Fielden family papers 18th April 1866

Letter from Fielden Bros to James Green Esq., Portsmouth, enclosing a statement showing 2½ years’ arrears of interest and requesting payment.


Fielden family papers 24th October 1866

Letter from Fielden Bros to James Green, who promised last April to pay off both principle and interest in a month or two. Since then they have heard nothing and another half year interest of £120 became due on 31st August. Please pay without delay.


Halifax Guardian 16th July 1870

Floods and great damage at the mill at the bottom of Green’s Clough. 4 storeys high plus weaving shed, warehouse, engine and boiler houses, the property of Haigh & Green & Co of Portsmouth, and occupied by John Collinge & Co for weaving and spinning cotton etc. The boiler house contained two 40hp boilers. The weaving shed contained 64 looms – entirely destroyed. In the lower room of the mill 5 pairs of mules having nearly 20,000 spindles. The mill has not been working for a few years.


Todmorden Rates Book 1871-1890

Owned and occupied by John Collinge; half warehouse; Carr Bottom; rateable value £17.5s.0d.

1880 – rateable value £6.10s.0d.


Census 1871

John Collinge, Habergham House, Habergham Eaves, aged 36, landed proprietor and cotton spinner.


Slater 1875

John Collinge, Portsmouth Mill, cotton spinner & manufacturer


White 1877

Collinge, John – cotton spinner – Portsmouth Mill


Halifax Guardian 6th July 1878

John Collinge, Portsmouth Mill, now working at a reduction of 10% in wages.


Halifax Courier 12th July 1879

John Collinge, Portsmouth Mill, reduced wages to 2/6d per mule. Wages previously reduced to large extent and hands refused to submit. The works are standing idle.


Halifax Courier 19th July 1879

Collinge – still on strike. Mill contains about 17,000 spindles.


Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1st August 1879

Portsmouth Mill; 17,500 spindles, running full time


Halifax Courier 16th August 1879

Collinge – further reduction of wages of 5% for card room and day hands, making 20% in total.


Halifax Courier 1st November 1879

Collinge – further reduced wages by 5%, running full time.


Slater 1887

John Collinge, Portsmouth Mill, cotton spinner & manufacturer


Worrall 1891, 1897, 1901, 1905, 1909

J. Collinge, Portsmouth Mill, cotton spinners & manufacturers; 20,000 spindles, 46” and 52” weft.


Cornholme Rates Book 1894-1897

Owned and occupied by John Collinge; mill and power; Portsmouth; rateable value £244.


5th February 1898

Mr. John Collinge, cotton manufacturer etc. Portsmouth Mill, died very suddenly at his residence, Spring Hill, Burnley, in his 64th year. The dead gentleman was chief manager of the Cliviger Collieries near Burnley, and one of the largest owners of the Dudley Collieries in Staffordshire, and the principal shareholder in the Ruabon Brick & Tile Works, in all of which he took an active interest.