Map Ref. SD 932212
Up to 1817
MARLAND John and Sons
MARLAND Abel and Ralph
Machinery mill on Os 6” map
RILEY James & Co
TAYLOR Richard R.
Disused on 25” OS map
remaining dwelling houses
to a row of modern houses on the lane leading to Ramsden Wood
is an inconspicuous entrance to a small area of land that
is unseen from the road. Ramsden Clough falls swiftly down
through this land, crossed by an ancient, narrow, humped stone
bridge. There, on the land, is an old dwelling house, now
split in to two homes. Opposite is the old mill in a derelict
state and a much newer hut that was a Tripe Works.
are many surprising places in Walsden, tucked away behind ordinary-looking
housing, but none so surprising as Strines. Only the locals would
know how to find it, but it has existed for over 350 years.
just a farm, the hamlet of Strines is ancient. A family by the name
of Crossley was there in the 1670's, with John Crossley as the husbandman
farmer with his wife Mary and sons, John junior and Luke. Then came
Daniel Eastwood with his wife Martha and sons Abraham, James and
John. It was whilst the Eastwoods were the farmers that the mill
was built, apparently for a Samuel Uttley in 1794.
was originally used as a carding and spinning mill for wool and was powered by water
from Ramsden Clough. With the mill will have come more families,
although the census returns show there were never more than
seven families in this tiny hamlet.
Samuel Uttley owned and occupied the mill in 1794, but by 1796 had moved on to SMITHYHOLME MILL.
On 29th November 1814, the whole of Strines Estate came up for auction. This comprised about 6 acres of meadow, pasture and barns at Inchfield including 8 cattle gates on the pasture, plus a dwelling house, outbuildings, cotton factory and land measuring about 27 acres. The tenant at the time was John Eastwood, said to be 64 years of age, and the annual rent was £18.9s.
John Haigh of PASTURESIDE bought the 6 acres at Inchfield, and John Foster bought the rest of the estate including the mill for £2,355. John Foster was from Slack Top at Heptonstall and presumably bought the mill and land as an investment.
James Haigh was the tenant in 1817 when he took out an insurance policy with Royal Exchange. The mill was insured for £150, it being "no more than 2 storeys or 120 square yards."
Thomas Newell and his wife Hannah Cockcroft lived at Strines
during this period, and for many years after. Thomas was from an
old Walsden family, known to everyone as "Old Tum at Strines" and
was a well-known figure in Walsden. He was a bit of a character,
illiterate with no trade, and the father of 12 children whose main
occupation was hand weaving at home. Tum had them all working on
the looms as soon as they were able to understand instructions.
He looked after the looms and did the winding-on and twisting-in
himself, taking the finished pieces to the mill on taking in days
and bringing back a fresh supply of work for his family. When steam
powered looms became common, handloom weaving at home died out,
and Tum regarded this as a disaster to his growing family with having
so many mouths to feed. However, in the early days, it was a very
managing his home cottage industry, Tum was the brewer for
Thomas Hill, landlord of the Waggon & Horses Inn, not
far away in Bottoms. This involved a day's work doing the
brewing and another day to pour the beer into the barrels.
also regarded an essential part of his job included staying with
the customers to test the quality of the ale, his main ally in
this being his friend, James Howarth, known as Pinky. The pair of
them would stay at the Waggon until very late and then help each
other up the hill home afterwards.
1820 the Marland family took over the mill and converted it from
textiles to engineering. The Marlands arrived in Walsden from Cheshire
before 1812 and began a business at Dobroyd making machinery for
the mills, then moved to the isolated WATERSTALLS MILL, finally
moving down to the valley and taking over Strines Mill. John and
Nancy Marland had three sons who followed their father in this trade.
John, Abel and Ralph Marland were taught the iron-turning and allied
trades at Strines by their father.
Grindrod was a friend of the Marlands from their days in Cheshire.
He was a blacksmith and he took up employment with them at Strines
Mill. He married Mary Jackson from Knowlwood Bottom in Walsden.
Edmund worked at Strines Mill for the Marlands for many years before
moving to a larger concern at Millwood. Apparently, he was a harmless
sort of man, always cheerful and convivial.
mill was not a large place but in the course of time it became a
well-known training institution for local young men as smiths, iron-turners,
fitters and so on. Many of these young men went on to hold good
positions in machine works at home and abroad. For the Marlands,
business was good. Abel made his home at the mill itself, with his
wife, Alice Fielden. They brought up four sons and two daughters
in the hamlet. His father John and brother Ralph had homes next
door to one another at nearby Newbridge. John Marland junior, the
oldest of the brothers, married Mally Law, daughter of Robert and
Betty Law of RAMSDEN WOOD MILL, which was situated about a mile
higher up Ramsden Clough from Strines. They settled in a house at
Bottoms in Walsden, where they raised four sons and three daughters.
mill was in its hey day in the 1830's. By then it was worked by
steam power and there was a chimney built on the hillside behind
the mill. Handloom weaving was virtually non-existent now. Old Tum
had died and his children were married and making their own way
in the world. The farm was no longer worked and the farmers had
gone. However, there were seven families in the hamlet.
Hannah, was still there, the matriarch of her large family of grown
up children and grandchildren. Her son William was living with her
and working as a labourer. Her daughter Sally lived next door with
her husband James Crossley and four children. Daughter Martha was
there with her husband, John Ogden, and three children.
lived in part of the mill with his wife Betty Walton and their several
children. Betty was married previously to Joseph Crowther, bringing
six children into her marriage to John Newell, and giving him a
further four. They all lived together at the mill where John struggled
to support them all on his labourer's wage. Betty died in 1849, leaving John with all the children. He then died in a tragic accident in June 1850, reported as follows:
Manchester Times Wednesday, June 19, 1850
On Saturday evening last, John Newall, carter for Mr. Bottomley, cotton manufacturer, Walsden, was loading his master’s cart with cotton at the Littleborough station of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway when he fell backwards off the cart, and was so injured on the head that he died the following day. He was a widower, 45 years of age, and has left 10 children.
Betty's oldest son,
John Crowther, was also there with his wife, who just happened to
be Emma, the oldest daughter of Abel Marland. They lived with Abel
and Alice at the mill. Two other families made up the community
- John and Mary Butterworth and Abraham and Betty Ashworth. Abraham
was a butcher, so the community would be well catered for in the
fresh meat department.
with many family run concerns in those times, the Marland brothers
began to squabble over how things ought to be run. As John's grandsons
became old enough to enter the business, it became clear the premises
were too small to support this ever-growing family. The hamlet was
tiny and there was no scope for expansion. The business
ran in to trouble and in August 1845, John Marland junior appeared
before the bankruptcy courts. Matters must have been sorted as the
firm continued to run. In 1848, John Marland senior died aged nearly
80 years, and shortly before this, John junior severed his connection
with his two brothers and built his own concern at Sun Vale. This
caused some ill feeling within the family, but John made the right
decision for himself and his own sons. He prospered well at Sun
and Ralph continued at Strines for a couple of years, but
without the driving force of their brother, the business went
from bad to worse. Abel in particular made no effort to keep
the business going, preferring to live hand to mouth on what
his wife could earn as a dressmaker.
There may have been some marital discord, as Abel was involved in a scandal in 1848 involving his actions on the night of 1st November that year. He was seen in the company of Mrs. Sarah Priestley, a relative by marriage, at the Lord Nelson Inn, Todmorden. Late that night they set off to walk home together.
They reached a point just above Smithyholme Lock when for some reason they both fell in the water. Abel managed to get out, but seeing Sarah in the water, he jumped in and dragged her to the edge, but was unable to pull her out. He called for assistance, but by the time she was pulled out, she was dead. At the inquest, Abel was severely reprimanded as the following extract from the inquest report indicates:
The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death, after which the coroner gave Marland a severe castigation and made him to understand that though there was not sufficient evidence to warrant his committal, it did not exonerate him in the eye of the public, as to his foul and disgraceful intentions in persuading, or even allowing, the deceased to go by such a dangerous road in the dead of night. Mr. Fielden cautioned him to be more careful of his conduct in future.
Ralph Marland (1804-1874)
1851, Abel had left his residence at the mill and was living at Newbridge
with Alice and three of their children. Apart from Alice, they were
all unemployed. Ten years later, he was a beerhouse keeper at Newbridge.
Brother Ralph continued as a roller maker a little longer, but then
sold out to James Riley.
(photo kindly sent to us by Brian Marland,
was a millwright. He and his wife, Rachel Stansfield, and five children
moved from Millwood in Todmorden to Bottoms in Walsden. He continued
to run the mill as an engineering shop until his untimely death
in July 1855, aged 36 years. On July 25th and 26th the effects
of his machine shop were sold off and the mill was idle.
the death of James Riley came the end of engineering at Strines.
For the next thirty or forty years, the mill was in the hands of
Ormerod Taylor then his son Richard. They were drysalters, or dealers
in dyes and colours used for the textile industry. The more common
name for their occupation was manufacturing chemist. Ormerod did
well for himself and family, being able to buy the land at Strines
and beyond. He lived at the mill with his wife, Ellen, and family.
The family is there in 1861, sharing the mill with Robert Law and
his wife, Charlotte Wilkinson. Robert and Charlotte had two small
children. He worked as a labourer at the mill.
a gap of many years, there was again a farmer at Strines in 1861.
He was John Parker from the Clitheroe area. He and his second wife,
Jane, arrived at Strines in 1856, heralding the start of a family
connection at Strines that was to last forty years.
Lizzie, Nancy, Dinah, Louisa and Bertha Parker
combined a little farming with labouring work. He must have
struggled as he had fifteen children between his two wives,
and only three of these were sons. All 15 children lived at
Strines. His youngest eleven children were girls. Six of those
sisters are pictured (left) on the occasion of Nancy Parker's
70th. birthday in 1930. They were all born at Strines.
died in 1875 and the following report appeared in the Halifax Guardian
on 30th. October:
On Monday morning, an aged man called Parker, who was employed
by Mr. Ormerod Taylor, senr, drysalter, Walsden, as cow-man, suddenly
died. The old man was milking a cow, when he fell from the stool
and expired in a very short time
wife moved down the lane to a house at Bottoms, but son William
stayed behind with his wife and family. He worked as a carter and
was there until the 1890's.
Taylor and family were still living at Strines Mill in 1871, one
of just four families in the hamlet. Ormerod died in 1880 aged 69,
and is buried at St. Peter's in Walsden. He left the family business
and much of the land at Strines to his only surviving son, Richard
R. Taylor. Richard continued to run the firm, living with his own
family at Holly Bank House on Strines Street. On his retirement,
he emigrated to Manitoba in Canada.
mill was disused after the Ormerods left, springing back to
life later as a Tripe Works. It was known as Bailey's Tripe
Works - and the sign above the hut is still there. During
the 1960's and 70's, Mr. Bailey was a regular at the CROSS KEYS in Walsden. The pub was run at that time by Adam Godsman
and every Friday evening there would be a plate of tripe, elder
and other delicacies on the bar for the locals to dip into.
and Bottoms mill chimneys behind the house
old mill and tripe works are now derelict, and just the
base of the old chimney can be seen in the woodland behind
1900, Richard Taylor sold part of his Strines estate to
the Walsden Co-operative Society so they could build a new
cotton mill, known as JUBILEE MILL. This mill still stands
on the land immediately behind the only two remaining dwelling
houses at Strines.
Strines Mill chimney
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
HAS 1954 (1794)
Samuel Uttley, owner and occupier of Strines Cotton Mill supported the Bill for the Rochdale Canal.
Crompton’s spindle enquiry 1811
Strines Mill; 1432 mule spindles (2 x 18doz) and 120 throstle spindles (2 x 6doz)
The Leeds Mercury, Saturday October 29th 1814
To be sold by auction at the house of Mr. Patchet, the White Lion Inn, at Hebden Bridge, in the County of York on Tuesday 29th November, 1814, at three o’clock in the afternoon:
In the County of Lancaster - Freehold
All that messuage, outbuildings, cotton factory and lands, called Strines, in Inchfield (other part of the said farm called Strines), containing 27 acres 2 roods 21 perches, in possession of the said John Eastwood, subject to the same lease, and to the payment of a proportion of the said yearly rent of £18.9s.
Leeds Archives, Sutcliffe manuscripts 143(85)
1. John Foster bought Strines Estate plus the mill for £2355 at auction, November 1814.
2. Strines Mill up to 1816 – tenant James Haigh; after 1816 James Rogers, James Shorrocks, shop keepers, Manchester. Water Mill.
3. Agreement 18th Feb 1819, owner of Strines Estates – John Foster – concerning water rights for new mill being built. (Probably Ramsden Wood).
John Marland, roller maker
John Marland, iron roller maker, Strines Mill
Halifax Guardian 9th March 1850
To Let for 99 years; mill called Strines Mill, Walsden near Todmorden, the property of John Foster esq. Lately occupied by Messrs. Marland; also fall of water, reservoirs, springs, river and goits; fall of water 47 feet averaging 10 or 12hp.
Riley & Co. machine makers
Walsden Rates Book 1860-1890
Occupied by Ormerod Taylor; owner John Foster; mill and power; Strines; rateable value £37.
1866 – rateable value £44.4s.0d.
1868 – new shed rateable value £1.1s.0d.
1880 – rateable value £42.15s.0d.
1886 – additions to works £4.
1890 – rateable value £49.
Halifax Courier 5th July 1873
Flood damage, several yards of road and dam stones at Strines Mill. Damage £100.