Back to The Acorn Archive



Pridden, near St Buryan, Penwith


The farm has been there at least since the first documentary evidence of 1323 and was written as Penren, later in 1363 and 1427 as Penryn, in 1696 it became Prynne and then in 1745 with Tithe Apportionment records showing the present Pridden. The name originates in the Cornish Pen Ryn, or head of a slope - exactly as Penryn, near Falmouth.


The church of St Buryan was dedicated to St Buriana 26th August 1238.


Pridden Stone SW41652661

On the site is a standing stone of some note if not merit ( as it does not include in any alignments or ley lines ). Dr William Copeland Borlase, in his Naenia Cornubiae, reports on the first stone he ( or any one else for that matter ) examined for the purpose of discovering the true meaning of the stones. He was attempting to "ascertain if any were indeed sepulchral". .. "The first to be explored was one situated in a valley close to the farm house of Pridden or Penryn, in the parish of Buryan, the property of D.P.LeGrice Esq., of Trereife, who kindly gave permission for the investigation to take place. This monolith stands 11 feet 6 inches above the level of the ground, and it is only six inches below the surface. The workman began by removing a hedge which abutted on the southern side, and which it was considered might be the remains of a cairn heaped up against the stone. The impression was confirmed, when, on reaching the natural level of the ground, and removing a thin stone set on its edge against the foot of the pillar, a deposit of splinters of human bone was exposed to view. It was covered by a flat stone only one foot in diameter. Charred wood and a layer of burnt brownish mould accompanied the bones, which, in all, would scarcely have filled a pint and a half measure. No KistVaen had been formed, but the deposit had been placed on the side of a shallow pit, dug to receive the lower end of the Long Stone, from which it was distant about one foot. The covering stone rested partly on the natural soil, and partly on two small stones which prevented it from crushing the bones. In this instance, the bones were more completely splintered than in any subsequent discovery, the average length of them being less than an inch, and the amount of burning received must consequently have been considerable. This discovery was made on the 14th February 1871." And this is noted on the OS maps as such. The stone at Trelew also had a similar burial at its foot. The Pridden stone is now leaning badly, as a result of Dr Borlase's excavations.


Tenants of Pridden in 1881, were Samuel and Margaret Harvey and their three children ( together with Miss E.L.Nicholls ). The farm was owned by the Nicholls family and then The LeGrice family. The records show this ownership up to around 1870. The LeGrice Rental of Lands, tithes &c MSS 1793-1870 lists Pridden as tenanted by a Mr Gilbert and the rate of 54 per annum is quoted.



The house Pendrea on the opposite side of St Buryan,

was the origination of the Penders of the Isles of Scilly.




Back to The Acorn Archive