Illustrations

 

VOLUME I

 

The Municipal Building

 

Old Stacy Mill, enlarged and improved by William Trent, as it appeared in 1848, dilapidated by fire and flood

 

Bloomsbury Court, South Warren Street, built by William Trent, circa 1719

 

Hunterdon County Court House, circa 1730. South Warren Street

 

The “Hermitage” on the River Road. Home of General Philemon Dickinson. 1776

 

The Postoffice about 1776, southeast corner of Second and King (State and Warren) Streets

 

House of Abraham Hunt, northwest corner of Second and King (State and Warren) Streets, where Colonel Rall was entertained on Christmas night 1776

 

The house of Stacy Potts, west side of King (North Warren) Street. Headquarters of the Hessian commander, Colonel Rall, during the occupation of Trenton, December 1776

 

House of Major John Barnes, Queen (South Broad) Street, used as his headquarters by General George Washington, December 30-31, 1776, and January 1, 1777

 

Crossing the Delaware, Christmas night, 1776

 

The Continentals marching on Trenton in the early morning, December 26, 1776

 

Colonel Rall dining at the home of Abraham Hunt, Chrismas night, 1776

 

The attack on Trenton, December 26, 1776

 

The Old Barracks, where the Hessian Yagers were quatered at the time of the Battle of Trenton

 

The opening of the Battle of Trenton at the “Five Points,” December 26, 1776. From a painting by William E.Pedrick

 

The second Battle of Trenton. Repulse of the British at the Assunpink bridge, January 2, 1777

 

The Trenton Battle Monument at the “Five Points.” Dedicated 1893

 

French Arms Tavern, 1730-1837, southwest corner of State and Warren Streets

 

General Washington’s reception by the citizens of Trenton, April 21, 1789, on his way to New York to be inaugurated as first Presidest of the United States

 

Facsimile of Washington’s letter to the ladies of Trenton

 

First State House, built 1794, West State Street. Present Capitol occupies same site

 

John Fitch’s steamboat, the first steam vehicle employed in the business of transportation

 

First bridge over the Delaware River, 1806. Site of present lower bridge

 

The Old Barracks, built 1758-59, South Willow Street

 

The Douglass House council of war, January 2, 1777

 

Seal of the City of Trenton

 

Old City Hall, built 1837, northeast corner of State and Broad Streets

 

Friends’ Meeting House, corer of East Hanover and Montgomery Streets, built 1739

 

Burial plot of Samuel Tucker and others. Old Hopewell Episcopal churchyard. From a sketch made in 1916

 

St. Michael’s Church, North Warren Street, as it appears today. Original building erected 1747-48

 

Original building of the First Presbyterian Church, 1726-1804. Near the site of the present building

 

“Greene Street” (First) M.E. Church, built 1838, ,South Broad Street. Present church occupies same site

 

First Baptist Church, built 1860, Centre Street. Previous buildings occupied same site

 

First Roman Catholic Church, “Chapel of St. John the Baptist,” built 1814, Market and Lamberton Streets

 

St. Francis’ Roman Catholic Church, Front Street

 

St. Francis’, Chambers Street and Hamilton Avenue, Trenton’s first hospital, as it appeared in 1874

 

 

 
 

VOLUME II

 

The New Senior High School

 

Taylor and Speeler’s pottery, circa 1852

 

Original Roebling wire mill, 1848

 

Trenton Banking Company’s present building, built 1919. On the site of Abraham Hunt’s house

 

Doorway, Old State Bank, built 1813. Warren and Bank Streets

 

Main entrance of the Broad Street Bank, on the southwest corner of State and Montgomery Streets

 

First Mercer County Court House, built 1839, South Broad Street. Present building occupies same site

 

“The Cottages” and Commons in the ‘40’s

 

“Fort Rawnsley” Hotel, recruiting station for the Mexican War, still standing at the junction of Warren and Lamberton Streets

 

“When Johnnie comes marching home”

 

First common school building, 1753-1838. On site of present First Presbyterian Church

 

The Trenton Academy, built 1782, Academy Street. The site is a part of the grounds of the Free Public Library

 

Junior High School No. 3. Built 1924

 

Free Public Library, built 1902, Academy Street

 

The New-Jersey Gazette: facsimile of heading of Trenton’s first newspaper

 

One of “The Cottages,” East State Street

 

Ernest Volk and Dr. C. C. Abbott, exploring for relics of early man in the Delaware River Valley

 

Famous scene in old Taylor Opera House, when General George B. McClellan at the Democratic State Convention of 1877 was nominated for governor by acclamation

 

Inter-State Fair grounds, in early days

 

Skating on the Assunpink, seen from South Broad Street, 1868

 

First Masonic Temple, built 1793, South Willow Street

 

Present Masonic Temple, built 1928, South Willow Street

 

Stacy-Trent Hotel, built 1921. West State and Willow Streets

 

School of Industrial Arts, built 1911. West State and South Willow Streets. Gift of Henry C. Kelsey

 

Trenton Trust Company building, built 1925. West State Street and Chancery Lane

 

The proposed First-Mechanics National Bank Building

 

 

 
 

 

 

Maps

 

Mahlon Stacy’s lands at the Falls of the Delaware. Platted by John T. Temple

 

Site of Trenton in 1714; copied from Basse’s Book of Surveys

 

Map of Trenton about 1776. Drawn by C. W. Stead, 1926

 

Map of the City of Trenton showing territorial growth, 1792-1928. Prepared by Joseph E. English, City Engineer

 

Map, showing location of early churches in Hopewell and Maidenhead townships

 

Layout of buildings and grounds of the Municipal Colony of the City of Trenton

 
 

 

© 1929, TRENTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Return to Old Mill Hill Society History Page