1. Stephen Richard Turner Sr.1 was born in 1804 in NC or VA. He died in January 1868 at the age of 64 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, NC.
S.R.Turner died without a will. Nine of his ten children were still alive at the time of his death thus causing issues over land and property distribution. The litigation summary for the estate of S.R. Turner lists several issues to be resolved:
1. Two of his children, Thomas J and John B, were listed as living in Franklin Parish LA. It is assumed that their exact whereabouts were unknown as the two are listed as Defendents in the Court estate procedings.
2. Robert R. Turner was listed as a minor without a guardian.
3. The estimated 90 acres being left for inheritance would be too little for each of the remaining 9 children to hold. The court would decide that it would be in the best interest of all parties to sell the land as a whole.
It is interesting to note that through this litigation we learn many facts:
1. SR Turner's land was 3 miles north of charlotte, adjoining the property of Wiliiam A. Williams, Samuel Taylor, and JT Butler...totaling 90 acres.
2. G. W. Williamson becomes guardian of Robert. R. Turner
3. William G. Graham paid $610 for the land on March 4, 1874
4. Robert Rea and wife ( Mary Ann Turner) sold all interest in lands belonging to SR Turner for $200 to A.H. Martin on May 25, 1874
5. An inventory of all household items remaining on the property was made at the time of death, of which includes who bought which item and how much they paid for each.
Stephen Richard Turner Sr. and Clarissa were married. Clarissa was born in 1812. She died between 1853 and 1860 at the age of 41.
Stephen Richard Turner Sr. and Clarissa had the following children:
|Nancy J. Turner was born in December 1832 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, NC. She died in her sleep on 10 July 1907 at the age of 74. She was buried in Steel Creek Presbyterian, Charlotte NC. |
1. Listed as living with her sister, Mary Rea, on 1900 census. No marriage record has been located.
|Thomas J. Turner.|
|Francis Marion Turner.|
|Stephen Richard Turner Jr..|
|William Turner was born in 1840. He died on 7 January 1862 at the age of 22. He was buried in NC or VA. |
1. Enlisted as Private in the Confederacy on Oct. 22, 1861 at the age of 20 within
Company I, 37th regiment.
2. William Turner listed as: Height: 5'10"
3. Died of disease on Jan 7, 1862 at Home.
|Henry Clay Turner.|
|Mary Ann Turner.|
|John B. Turner was born in 1849 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, NC. He was buried in NC or VA. |
1.Lived with his brother Thomas, in Franklin Parish LA as listed on 1880 census.
2. Was in Franklin Parish as listed on 1870 census, living with Thomas and Robert Rea ( brother in law).
|Elizabeth Clarissa Turner.|
|Robert Reeves Turner.|