NEWSPAPER ARTICLES REGARDING HOME CHILDREN Most of these articles are from the hard work of Thelma Hartman Ottawa Citizen Article Courtesy of the Ottawa Article Online

They were buried long ago and almost forgotten -- poor "home children" who died in their teens or twenties and were buried in numbered graves.Now they will finally be remembered. On Saturday, at 2 p.m. in Notre Dame Cemetery, there will be a simple ceremony commemorating the installation of two proper gravestones for 23 people who died here, after being sent as impoverished children from England A letter from Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean will be read after a brief comment is made about each person as a rose is placed on their grave. Between 80,000 and 100,000 home children were shipped to homes in Canada in the latter part of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Some had lost a parent all were impoverished. Often they were from London. The 23 young people buried in the dedicated plot represent only a small number of them. Saturday's ceremony has been a long time in the making. In the 1980s, Torontonian George Dowse, a nephew of one of the deceased home children, Robert Dowse, came to Ottawa and searched for his uncle's grave. He was saddened to learn it was not marked by a proper stone. There's a proper stone today, thanks to a man named Dave Lorente, who has worked tirelessly since the 1960s to keep the story and the memory of the home children alive. His father was a home child, who came to Canada in 1929 Mr. Lorente, a retired teacher who lives in Renfrew, founded Home Children Canada. He made it his mission to research the stories like that of the Dowse family. Four Dowse brothers came to Canada from east London after their mother died and their father was unable to care for them. They were sent to St. George's Home, which was the first Canadian home run by the Canadian Catholic Emigration Society in London. These homes were essentially distribution centres for the children, who were then sent to farms nearby. Some of the children worked, prospered and had families. Others suffered terrible neglect and abuse, sleeping in barns. They worked for room, board and perhaps a small wage. "They were stigmatized, they were poor, they were destitute," says Mr. Lorente, who is lobbying authorities to have statues erected and a stamp printed to honour the home children. Over the years, Mr. Lorente has given lectures and conducted research that has generated some donations and fees. He recently decided to use the money to give the St. George's Home Children buried in Notre Dame Cemetery proper headstones. Notre Dame is a Catholic cemetery on Montreal Road known for the impressive monument over Sir Wilfrid Laurier's grave near its entrance. Twenty-three of the home children who came to St. George's Home on Wellington Street (today Holy Rosary Parish) were buried at Notre Dame in the early 20th century. Until two grey stones were recently installed, the graves of the home children were marked only by numbers. The St. George's Home would have been unable to afford tombstones for the home children. The new gravestones, located at the back of the cemetery, simply state the names of each person, his or her age and the year they died. They were purchased by Home Children Canada for $6,000 The information was gathered with the help of the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa, which searched coroners' reports. Mr. Lorente says many of the home children who died were involved in accidents, drownings or died of disease. One of the worst killers around the end of the First World War was the Spanish flu that swept across Canada. But Mr. Lorente stresses it was not an entirely bleak story. Some became members of the families that took them in and inherited farms. One home child who came to Ottawa's St. George's Home, Claude Nunney, showed extraordinary courage in battle during the First World War and won the Military Medal and the Victoria Cross. "Good things happened," says Mr. Lorente. Regardless of how life for the home children turned out, Mr. Lorente is determined to show "they were not forgotten." St. George's Home Children Johanna Reilly, died 1915, age 18; Margaret Healey, died 1917, age 17; Nellie Lambert, died 1918, age 18; Richard Gardener, died 1919, age 26; Charles Neale, died 1919, age 17; Dorothy Wellington, died 1919, age 19; Mary Hunter, died 1921, age 14; Mary Woodhall, died 1925, age 18; Doris Evrett, died 1925, age 17; Honora Wood, died 1926, age 21; Elizabeth Noon-Cruise, died 1926, age 24; S. Winnifred G. Baker, died 1926, age 18; Ellen Murphy, died 1928, age 21; Elizabeth Onions, died 1929, age 18; William Flannagan, died 1929, age 16; Robert Dowse, died 1909, age 16; Ethel Stone, died 1916, age 16; Mary Kelleher, died 1917, age 24; Margaret Sparks, died 1924, age 23; John Berry, died 1929, age 30; Mary King-Sabourin, died 1929, age 33; Percy Hyde, died 1932, age 25; Florence Deluka, died 1933, age 34.
The Bathurst Courier. edition: Fri. Aug. 5, 1836 (pg. 2) under notices. Also another Fri. Apr. 13, 1838 (pg. 3).
*Notice- William Matheson has put in a notice regarding a runaway boy, Henry Pritty, a boy about 12 years old. Mr. Matheson is his Guardian. The boy ran away on Friday last, the 29th ult. Mr. Matheson will have anyone harbouring him prosecuted by the law. Notice dated August 4, 1836, at Perth. *Runaway - Henry Pritty, a boy about 13 years old, absconded from the subscriber his Guardian, on Sunday the 6th Inst. All persons harbouring or concealing him, will be prosecuted according to Law. WILLIAM MATHESON. Perth, June 22d, 1837. The Kingston Gazette. Sat. July 27, 1833 pg. 3. *Runaway - Notice from Mr. Alexander Ross about an indented apprentice of the Tin Plate Business, Archibald Sinclair, running away on July 15, 1833. Notice dated Kingston July 20, 1833.
The New York Daily Times March 8, 1854
But the question is sometimes asked, why these children should have separate schools, instead of attending those which the Government provides? Those who ask it cannot have looked in upon the children of a ragged school, or they would see instantly the impossibility of admitting them, if they were willing to come, among children well dressed, and possessing some degree of refinement and cultivation. They are so wild and uncivilized that they would only bring confusion ; their influence would be demoralizing in the extreme, and they would require an entirely different mode of instruction, and a distinct corps of teachers from the ordinary scholars, and therefore save nothing in expense. But it would be impossible to induce or compel them to enter a public school. Neither they nor their parents care enough for instruction to make any effort to obtain it; and they have too much pride to appear in their ragged filth among the decent and well dressed.
The Western Fireside, Madison, Wisconsin June 6, 1857
Ragged Schools The most modern charity schools in London were instituted in order to raise from the lowest dregs a class of children who could not be reached by ordinary means. They are called ragged schools and one could very easily be convinced by a brief view of them that they were correctly named. Children are gathered into the schools who have no home and friends, such as lodge in any outdoor place where they can evade the police and whose food and clothing is of the most disgusting kind. Such children are placed under the care of teachers where they are clothed and educated and taught useful employments. The plan for the support and training of these children is peculiar. To give them habits of industry is a prominent object. To secure this some are placed in situations where they can be usefully employed and earn a trifle during each day. A considerable number of these boys may be seen at street crossings during certain hours during the morning and evening with the badge of the ragged school, ready to black boots, sweep crossings, carry packages, etc. The badge of the institution has become such a recommendation that these boys are sought for the purpose in preference to any others, as none as thus accredited who have not been tried and found faithful and trustworthy. The children attached to each of these schools spend their evenings together and employ their time between useful labor and study. The former habits of these children are often found to be peculiar. They have in some instances acknowledged to their teachers when they have gained their confidence, that their only source of income as well as the family to which they belonged, had been a particular kind of theft. One, who had recently entered the school seemed particularly restless at certain hours, when he artlessly told his teacher that at such times he had been compelled to repair to certain streets, in order that he might be prepared to abstract articles from the pockets of persons who were leaving churches at such hours. So early had the habit of theft been incalculated by parents of these wretched children that the idea of moral wrong has many instances never been molested. In conditions more wretched than that of these children and a work more trying to the Christian principle that which the teachers are subjected cannot easily be conceived. With all the poverty, degradation and crime which is found in the western cities it affords but a feeble view of the worst classes in the darkest places of London.
The Titusville Morning Herald Titusville, Penn Friday, Sept 20, 1872 page 2
Children Going to Canada Fifty children, in charge of Miss Rye sailed from Liverpool for Quebec today on the steamship Samaritan. Homes have been secured for them in Canada
The Daily Constitution Atlanta, Georgia Thursday May 2, 1878 page 2
Two of the ragged street children that Miss Rye brought over to Canada from England in 1876 have, by the death of a distant and previously unknown relative, fallen heir to $125,000. The younger Samuel Gill, a newsboy on the Great Western railroad, had gone home to England but his older brother, John, has remained to help the farmer who gave him a home finish his spring work
Manitoba Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba Thursday, Sept 14, 1882 page 1
Boy Immigrants Cardinal Manning has sent another consignment of boys to Canada, nine of whom arrived here today.
The Burlington Weekly Hawk Eye Burlington, Iowa Thursday, Oct 19, 1882 page 6 Our Western Home
Dear Children: Several years ago, while traveling on an eastern train, my attention was attracted by a modest looking girl, perhaps eleven years of age. A little maid was she, with wise gray eyes, brown hair put primly behind her ears and knotted on her neck. She wore a plain woolen dress, with a white kerchief, a round sailor hat and carried a modest little shawl strap bundle. Remarking the absence of all protecting care over this independent little maiden, save that of the conductor, I wondered; finally taking a seat near her for the purpose of getting acquainted. I noticed pinned to the breast of her simple woolen dress a paper, bearing the words, "Esther Evans, Our Western Home, For Mr. Jno. Gaston, New Bedford, Mass." Little Esther and I soon became friends and here is the story of her life; Her early home was in one the coal districts of Wales, where her father, who was a miner, was killed by an explosion,one of those terrible accidents we read of so often but of whose horror we can form no idea. Then the widowed mother had taken child and gone to a large factory town of England to better obtain work to give her bread. Unused to the close confinement and the slavelike toil, the mother died, leaving Esther alone in the world, with the prospect before her of a life of want and crime. And now, to make you understand how a great change came into the life of poor orphaned Esther I must tell about "Our Western Home." There lived in London some twelve years ago, a lady by the name of Miss Maria S. Rye; she was a plain faced, small woman having, however, the charm of a marvelously clear intelligent eye, she was strong and hearty in body and mind, and her work has shown her to be a woman who bent all the power God had given her to one great and good purpose. She was struck with the terrible suffering experienced by poor young women in the over crowded cities of England where work is hard to get and formed the project of carrying a company of these young women, who failed to earn a honest livelihood at home, over to Canada, where their labor would be sure to meet a demand and where they would be well paid. She interested several benevolent men in her undertakings and obtained a fund of about two thousand pounds,nearly ten thousand dollars of our money and gathered together one hundred young women, who were anxious to secure good homes in this western land. In a short time they were all supplied with work as domestic servants, seamstresses. etc. But in earnest thinking over the matter, Miss Rye came to the conclusion that much more good might be done by bringing over the helpless little gutter children, the waifs and strays to found in the slums and mews of every great English city and opening to them,in a foreign land, a way to an independent blameless life. What point in Canada would she make her destination for these little ones? In one of her early visits to the province she had spent some time in the little town of Niagara, at the mouth of the great river of the same name. It is a beautiful place. There is a mighty lake with its ever-changing hues there is the deep green river, rolling its mighty flood for mile into the lake and yet marking its boundary lines as with the painters brush. On its left rise the ruins of an old British fort and its huge tower, which the strange keeper, a little boy, opens by climbing up a lightening rod on the outside and then lets himself down by rope into the keep. Why, Charlie, how your eyes shine, I verily believe, girls, that he wishes he was the keeper of the old tower. But, bless me, it was ten years since I was there, that little boy keeper of ten years of age is a young man now and no doubt has given up his boyish tricks of long ago. On the right and across the river lies the American fort, with its still older and quainter block house, once the scene of many a fray during Indian warfares. On one of the clean well shaded streets that stretch for miles in the direction of the falls, there was to be seen at the time of Miss Rye's visit, an old, deserted jail surrounded by trees. Now when she wanted a home for her orphan children her thoughts went to that pleasant town and its old jail. A dreary home, you think, but you will see. She bought the building from the town of Niagara for three thousand dollars and in a very short time had it changed into a bright, comfortable, well ventilated house with broad verandahs on all sides, till it was an inviting home. It was capable of holding one hundred children and a moderate household of necessary servants. A benevolent manufacturer in England supplied new bedsteads, beddings and simple furniture for the whole house as a token of his respect to Miss Rye and to show his interest in the good work. When all was ready Miss Rye went to England and, staying only twenty eight days, collected during that time in London and other towns, seventy five children, the youngest four years of age and the oldest one a naturally bright girl of twelve but she was a hopeless cripple. On the way over one of the children answered a ship passengers inquiry as to where she was going with the words, "Oh, to our western home, Sir". And this expression of the poor child who had never had a home, gave a permanent name to the building. In due time they reached Niagara and the good people of the town and neighborhood flocked around the strange group with cordial welcome. Kind friends had prepared a bountiful supper at the "Home" for it was evening when they arrived and their first meal in the "new western home" was a touching one. Entirely overcome by a short prayer, the ample supply of food the delicacies so new to them, many of them were unable to eat and rushed up to mother, as they called Miss Rye, and stroked and kissed her, striving to show their gratitude. What might have been the feelings of these little waifs, transplanted as if by magic, from extreme poverty and utter wretchedness to a home of plenty and an atmosphere of love? Kind womanly hearts and hands had been at work during Miss Rye's absence and furnished each child with a snug little wooden box filled with a suitable outfit of clothing, so that all were at once comfortably dressed in warm woolen dresses. After a few days of rest the little folks began to be transferred to their permanent homes, as arrangements were made for them. Sixteen of them were at once legally adopted, as their own children, by parents who had no little ones to gladden their homes and hearts. The others were bound out till they should reach the age of eighteen. The people who took a child this way were legally bound to clothe, feed and educate her till she was of fifteen years of age; to see that she attended church once every Sunday and, if possible, went to Sunday school. Then from her fifteenth year to her seventeenth year, they were to pay her 3 dollars a month. Sometimes their homes were provided for them in distant states. Then they were ticketed, as was little Esther, and safely made the journey that way. And the good work has gone on under the management of this resolute, earnest hearted woman whose great desire, to use her own words is "to provide homes for the poor, perishing children, so that they may become useful, happy and good Christina women, a blessing to themselves and all about them." Cousin Virginia
Manitoba Daily Free Press Tuesday July 23 1889 page 1 Catholic Boy Immigrants
Montreal July 22 The steamer Caspian brought here this afternoon fifty two young emigrants, sent out by the Canadian catholic emigration committee with head quarters at the archbishops house, Westminster and under the auspices of Cardinal Manning. They are all boys with the exception of four or five, and range in age from eight to fourteen and are provided with certificates of good conduct and health.
Ottawa Journal, 6 March 1893
Alex Kennedy, a millwright of Kemptville...died suddenly on Saturday and Mrs. John Kennedy, a daughter-in-law and a servant girl are today in a critical condition. The family ate porridge for breakfast Saturday morning and immediately were all taken ill except John Kennedy who did not partake of it. Three hours later Alexander Kennedy died...Analysis has been made of the porridge and also of the oatmeal out of which the porridge was made. Poison was found in the porridge but none in the oatmeal. It is supposed to have been rough on rats or biaulphide of mercury as both were found on the premises...The servant was a little girl taken out of one of the orphan homes. It was stated in the village today that she was not poisoned, only making believe to be sick. She, however, underwent a stomach pump operation with the others.
Ottawa Journal, 7 March 1893
Mrs. Kennedy has just died. An enquiry into the death of Alexander Kennedy...was held here yesterday by Dr. Buckley, coroner of Prescott...The servant girl, suspected of the deed, was examined. She is 15 years of age and came from the orphan's home in Brockville. Her name is Lizzie Poole. She was adopted by the Kennedy family five years ago. She gave her testimony in a straightforward manner, describing the process in which she cooked the porridge. As far as the poison was concerned she knew nothing at all about it. She ate of the porridge and was sick, as well as deceased and Mrs. Kennedy. Mr. Kennedy an hour or so before he died said he though the little girl must have put the poison in the porridge...Opinion is divided as to the guilt of the girl. The coroner told the jury there was nothing to show that the girl knew anything about it. No arrests have been made...
Ottawa Journal, 8 March 1893
In the Kemptville poisoning case suspicion fastened on the little girl, Lizzie Poole, from the fact that a few days previously Mrs. Kennedy gave her a whipping for the alleged taking of some money. Some of the villagers thought that the girl from motives of revenge, might have put poison in the porridge, but this is disproved, from the fact that the girl is stated to have eaten of the porridge herself and was very ill for some time...John Kennedy was out at the time the others were eating... Yesterday the guardian of the Brockville orphans home removed the little girl to Brockville. She was born in Scotland. The neighbors say the deceased Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy were very much attached to the little girl, and she reciprocated.
Ottawa Journal, 17 March 1893
...There are very few new developments in the sad poisoning case in connection with the Kennedy family. As to whom the guilty party is continues to be a mystery... John Kennedy, the husband of the deceased Mrs. Kennedy and brother of the late Alexander Kennedy, said on several occasions that he hoped it would never be found out...The principal theme appears to be the will...It is said that the late Alexander's will was drawn in 1884...leaving all his estate to Mrs. John Kennedy but two years later desired to change it. Accordingly he then made a new which he bequeathed all his estate to John Kennedy...he had another will executed in which he left all his chattel property to...Mrs. John Kennedy and his real estate to be equally divided between his brothers and niece...
Ottawa Journal, 20 March 1893
The Kennedy poisoning case still continues the talk of the town...traces of arsenic were found in the fatal porridge the chances are it was the cause of death...a good many people talk about Lizzie Poole, the adopted child, in connection with the poisoning, but those who know the child say she held a deep affection for her adopted parents. They were also kind to her, though having occasion to scold her. Her faults never were serious...The little girl, Lizzie Poole, who has been taken back to Fairknow Home at Brockville, from whence she came about five years ago, will be present at the inquest tomorrow...It has been stated that spots of green were found sprinkled over the front of the dress which the little girl wore but this unfounded.
Ottawa Journal, 21 March 1893
...With regard to the missing is conjectured after a vigorous search that it must be in the pocket of the coat in which Alexander Kennedy was buried. The will now in the possession of the family bequeaths the property to John Kennedy, brother of the deceased. John Kennedy...says the whole affair is a mystery, and he thinks it will never be solved...While some of the villagers cling to the idea that the young girl Lizzie Poole knows all about how the poison got into the meal, others, and a large majority at that, contend that she had no hand whatever in it, for they say a child of her tender years (15) if she was guilty would have broken down when confronted with the evidences of her guilt, and instead of showing any breakdown whatever she gave her testimony in a clear unhesitating manner.
Ottawa Journal, 22 March 1893
A clue has turned up in the Kemptville tragedy and the poisoning now looks more like a murder. The coroner thinks so...the porridge submitted for examination...had found traces of arsenic. Traces of arsenic were also found in the stomach...Mr. Buchanan...came across a tablespoon lying on the snow between the shed and the paint shop at the rear of the house...It is a large tablespoon with a crust of dried Paris green on it. On top of the crust is a small quantity of light colored substance closely resembling the colour of rough-on-rats...Mr. Buchanan in speaking about the illness of Lizzie Poole, the suspected little girl, said that while Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy pursged, she was not affected that was only after some of the neighbors had made her swallow the whites of several eggs and coffee that her stomach revolted...John Kennedy, who is a feeble old man, does not think the little girl, Lizzie Poole, had anything at all to do with the poisoning. When the inquest is again called on April 4, Mr. Burgess who has charge of the home in Brockville where the little girl now resides, will be present and will bring Lizzie Poole with him.
Ottawa Journal, 5 April 1893
...Dr. Holmes...told of his being called attend Alexander Kennedy, Mrs. John Kennedy and Lizzie Poole. He said he saw that all the parties had been poisoned with some preparation of arsenic and treated them accordingly. The girl, Lizzie Poole, he found suffering like the rest. The witness was questioned as to what the deceased Alexander Kennedy had said to him with respect to the poisoning. He said...Alexander has said "the girl must have done it" or "did do it"...he replied to Alexander "the girl is sick herself and it is impossible for her to have done it"...With respect to the $5 which it was alleged the girl Lizzie Poole had stolen he believed that she did not steal it, but that his deceased wife took the money. His wife often quarrelled with the little girl, who he believed was innocent...Alexander Rutherford, solicitor...drew the last will about the fifth of December last...The will in question bequeathing all the personal estate and property to the brother John...was dated Jan 21st, 1889...As to the missing will he gave...all his personal property to Mrs. John Kennedy...The estate was probably worth about $2,400...Mr. Kennedy told him (witness) to keep the contents secret from John...The reason he gave for changing was that he had lived a long time with Mr. and Mrs. John Kennedy. Mrs. Kennedy had had more trouble with him...owing to his illness and he wanted to reward her...John Kennedy swore again that he did not make a search for any wills or papers after the decease of Alexander. He was not aware that there was more than one will that in his favor, until Lawyer Rutheford told him... the verdict was that the death of Mrs. John Kennedy and Alex Kennedy resulted from poison, administered by unknown hands. believe this is the same Elizabeth Poole who is listed on the Library and Archives Canada website as having arrived in Canada in May 1888 with a party of Quarrier's children. The group's destination was Brockville.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press June 16, 1893 Winnipeg, Manitoba
Theft from the Hospital A Patient Manifest his Gratitude by committing Larceny A youth named Charles Kempster, who had come to the city for treatment at the hospital from the Barnardo farm, showed his gratitude by a cool piece of robbery. Kempster had been healed and was well but had been retained at the hospital as an orderly doing chores around the establishment.Saturday he was paid off. He was not content with what he legitimately earned but stole a satchel from a patient containing a suit of clothes,an overcoat and other articles of clothing. Kempster then boarded an eastbound train but prompt action of the police secured his arrest at Fort William Wednesday and Sergeant Munro left last night to escort him back to the city.
The Atlanta Journal Sept 23, 1893, page 1 Into An Open Switch
Eleven Dead from a Brakeman's Blunder on the Wabash Trains Collide on a Sidetrack The Man Who Caused it Ran Off He said that he was worn out and probably did not realize the terrible mistake he was making Kingsburg, Ind. Sept 22 - Eleven persons lost their lives in a collision between a freight train and the Toronto and Montreal express on the Wabash railroad at this station at 5:30 o'clock this morning. A score of others are injured, many of whom will die. The freight was on a siding west of the depot and was bound east. The first section of the express train passed by on the main track at 5:25 o'clock this morning.It is said that the brakeman supposed that the freight train would not and ran back to open the switch. Before the cars had begun to move the second section of the fast express came west at the rate of fifty five miles an hour and before the brakeman could turn the switch, dashed into the side track and collided with the freight train. The wreck was complete. The list of killed is as follows: J.H. McKenna, butcher, of Hyde Park, Mass Harry French,13 years old, member of the Orphan Bell Ringers, London Charles Berbo, San Francisco Miss Alice H. Rees, East Boston, Mass Miss Nellie B. Tucker, Newton, Mass Conductor James Coulter Engineer John Green, Ashley, Ind. of the passenger train Warren G. Rider, Phoenix, Arizona P. C. Zellie Berlin Germany Baggage Master Lyons of the passenger train James D. Roundy, La Moille Iowa The injured are Mrs. F. W. Burbank, New Orleans, La, William Adams,14 years old, London, England, member of the Orphan Bell Ringers, both legs broken, injured internally, will die; Miss Hattie Hutchinson, Phoenix, Arizona, Fireman Barber of Ashley, on passenger train, H. J. Vatenky, fireman on the freight train William J. Haskins, 14 years old, of London England, compound fracture of the right leg and shoulder crushed, recovery doubtful. Others less seriously hurt are Edward Rush, 13 years, London; Swela Canfield, Coon Wood, Mich; G. S. Hodgson, Andover, NH; Mrs. S. A. Seaveley, of Somerville, Mass; Albert Morton, 12 years, London, England; J. G. Weakley, London, England; Engineer Whitman of the freight train; Miss Hattie Rogers, Phoenix, Arizona; Mrs. Dobles, Brooklyn; Miss Olive Hill, Summerswoth NH; Miss Annie Hill, Summersworth, NH; Miss N. A. Kelley, Boston, Mass, severe scalp injuries. James B. Weakly and Henry Aaren, with a company of boys from Dr. Barnardos' orphanage, in London England were abroad the train bound for Chicago. One of the lads, Harry French, was killed and several others were badly injured. One of them William Adams, lies unconscious in the station and cannot recover. Mr. Weakly is also badly hurt. The three English boys belonged to a company known as "Dr. Barnardo's Musical Troupe," from the London orphan asylum, conducted by that noted philanthropist. They had been booked for a concert at the headquarters of the Epworth league, just outside the world's fair grounds,on Friday evening
The Globe and Mail, page 3 Tuesday, November 21, 1893
Not A Barnardo Boy The Youthful Manitoba Murderer did not come from the Barnardo Home A dispatch appeared in the papers yesterday morning that a fourteen year old lad named Hill had been sentenced to death in Brandon, Manitoba for poisoning his employer. The dispatch further stated the young murderer was a Barnardo boy. Mr. Alfred B Owen, the Canadian Agent of the Barnardo Home, who has his headquarters on Farley Avenue, was much puzzled on seeing this, as the only Barnardo boy of that name in Manitoba is Walter Marshall Hill, who is working at Plum Creek, Souris District, with a Mr. Brown. This lad, moreover, has a peculiarly favorable record and reputation. Mr. Owen accordingly send a telegram to the Sherriff of the county asking if it was true that the boy convicted was from one of Dr. Barnardo's Homes. Last night he received the following telegram, which explains itself: - "Phillip Hill, who was sentenced Saturday, is not from Barnardos' Home. Sherriff Clements" "There is nothing more to say about it" said Mr. Owens, as he exhibited the telegram to a Globe reporter."We are of course glad. But we do think it a pity that every immigrant boy who misbehaves is put down as a Barnardo boy. That was done at the Listowel tragedy, though the boy who committed the crime was not from our home. The same has been done once more in this case and doubtless the story will go all over and get to England. We have 6,000 young people started in life here and naturally have a few black sheep, but not many. It is not fair to credit us with every bad boy" The boy Walter Marshall Hill came out in 1888 and has given particularly good satisfaction. Indeed, Police Magistrate D.W. Dumble of Peterboro, who has a farm in the Souris district, adjoining that of young Hill's employer, wrote last year to the Toronto Home asking for a good boy, such a boy as Mr. Brown had got in the person of the lad Hill. It is rather hard to connect him with his criminally disposed namesake"
Manitoba Morning Free Press, Monday April 30, 1894 Child Emigration
The various homes which contribute most of the young people sent to Canada are preparing for an active season. Dr Barnardo hopes to send no fewer than 1000 trained young people to the Dominion this year. A party consisting of 230 trained lads sailed a week or two ago, bringing the total number of Dr. Barnardo's emigrants up to 6, 810. The value of sound preparation which these young colonists have to undergo before they are considered fit for Canada is strikingly illustrated by the fact that Dr Barnardo has had application on behalf of a number of well educated lads, the sons of gentlemen, begging that they might be allowed to go out on the same conditions. Of those trained emigrants sent from the Stepney homes ever since the first party set foot in Canada the failures have been less than 2 per cent. Miss Annie MacPherson writing from the Home of Industry, 29 Bethnal Green Road, says that the first party this season, and the sixty seventh during the past 25 years, sailed on March 22. It consisted of fifty lads ranging in age from 12 to 21. A second party, mostly of young girls, who are now being prepared in the training home will leave in May or June. The destination of those young immigrants is the distributing house at Stratford, Ontario. Through Miss MacPherson's agency nearly 6000 young emigrants have been sent to Canada and "the results of the past work" she writes " are beyond our most sanguine expectations. We do not take the workhouse children but those who become in need of another's care through the death of one or both parents. I have crossed the Atlantic 52 times with children." Miss Macpherson , like others interested in emigration, states that the high "Worlds Fair" steamship rate of 5 pounds 5 s less 6s is a great hindrance. A cablegram from Mrs. Birt, of the Sheltering Home, Liverpool, announces her safe arrival in Canada with her band of 106 juvenile emigrants. Visitors who were on board when they sailed remarked what a fine looking set of intelligent, healthy children they appeared, full of promise. A second party will be prepared to sail in June. Many young men and women have also emigrated under Mrs. Birt's advice and she reports that they are succeeding well and are satisfied with their new lives. From Mr. William Quarrier we learn that on March 29, 140 boys from the Orphan Homes of Scotland sailed for Canada, their ages varying from 7 to 20. Mr. Quarrier expects to send 140 girls in May. The first party from the Strangeway's Homes, Manchester, consisting of 70 boys sailed on March 30 and a party of girls will sail in early May
The Toronto Star Thursday, May 3, 1894 page 4
At Cayuga yesterday, Charles Goldsmith, a Barnardo boy, who pleaded guilty to attempted murder and criminal assault, was sentenced to twenty one years in the Penitentiary.
Bolton Enterprise, Aug 24, 1894 pg 4 col 2
A very sad drowning accident occurred Sunday last at Columbia,just north of Bolton, when James McFadyean lost his life. It appears that he along with some other young men went to the pond to bathe, and while he was attempting to swim to the opposite shore, it is supposed that he was seized with cramps His companions made a noble effort to save his life but were unsuccessful. However they succeeded in bringing him up within a very few minutes after he sank but life was extinct. James was a young man, twenty-one years of age, of steady and temperate habits and was highly respected by all with whom he was aquainted. His remains were interred in Laurel Hill Cemetery on Monday, Rev. T. Campbell officiating. Deceased leaves a sister and two brothers, who are sympathized with by all in their sad and sudden bereavement. This obit is for my Grandma's brother, brought over by Quarrier's in 1888 Eve Roberts Proud Granddaughter of Selina McFadzean Proud Grand niece of James, Tom and Arthur McFadzean
The Newark Daily Advocate Nov 15, 1895 Newark, Ohio
Held without Bail Wealthy Lady charged with the murder of a boy Owen Sound, Ontario, Nov 15 - the village of Big Bay, 13 miles from this town is in a state of excitement over the arrest of Miss Helen Findlay, an educated and wealthy lady, charge with the murder of George E Green, 17 a boy from the Barnardo Home. He died last Friday and the postmortem examination showed that the stomach was empty and the body covered with bruises. Neighbors testified that Miss Findlay who is a powerful woman frequently knocked the lad down and beat him with a stick. She admitted that she beat him but contended that it was only such chastisement as he deserved. She was remanded for a week without bail.
The Toronto Star Thursday, July 22, 1897 page 8
Put Poison in the Tea A Barnardo Boy who Attempts to Kill his Employer who had cuffed him for Insolence The Stories of the Two Person Huntsville, July 22 An attempt to murder his benefactor, with whom he has lived for three years, was perpetrated by a Barnardo boy in the township of Brunell. The prisoner, Robert Webster, who is only 11 years of age, has hither to borne a good character and lived with a farmer named Henry Lewis, who on Saturday last, was preparing for a trip to Huntsville. The boy asked permission to accompany Lewis and was refused. This angered him and he began using abusive language to Lewis, who cuffed his ears and sent him into the house. When Lewis returned home Saturday night he went to the cupboard for a drink of cold tea. He swallowed a few mouthfuls and shortly afterwards complained of a burning sensation in his throat. On examining the teapot he found a quantity of Paris green in the bottom. The prompt administration of an emetic saved his life. Further investigation disclosed that a packet of Paris green had been opened and part of the contents abstracted. The youth was placed in custody and committed for trial at Bracebridge. The boy admits his guilt and says he wanted to "fix" Lewis for not taking him to Huntsville. The prisoner is a smart, intelligent lad, but at times given to fits of temper and will stay in the sulks for days at a time. Lewis asserts that the boy was always well cared for and he cannot account for his attempt at murder, except on the theory of inherited criminal tendencies. Young Webster on the other hand claims that he was ill treated. His interests will be looked after by officers of the home on Toronto.
Winnipeg, Manitoba The Manitoba Morning Free Press Thursday, June 23, 1898 page 3
Austin Tragedy A Barnardo boy shot and killed his employers son The murderer Suicides Johnnie Powoll, 13 years old, Murdered Charlie, the 4 year old son of W C Wheeler - The boys were left alone for a time when the deed was committed - Probable cause for a murder Austin, Manitoba, June 22 - Johnnie Powoll, a Barnardo boy, thirteen years old and working for Mr. W C Wheeler, shot and killed Mr. Wheeler's four year old boy Charlie and then committed suicide last night at Mr. Wheeler's farm about two miles east of Austin Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler drove into Austen in the evening, leaving the two boys at home alone. Mrs. Wheeler returned first and missing the two boys went to a neighbor's to enquire about them but before she got back Mr. Wheeler had arrived home, accompanied by a neighbor, Mr. Walker,Mr. Wheeler went to the house for a lantern and in the meantime Mr. Walker lit a match in the stable and saw the two boys lying there dead. The younger boy was shot in the left temple and the Barnardo boy through the heart.The revolver was lying at his feet. When Mr. Wheeler left the home he left Powoll milking the cows. As soon as he was gone Powoll must have gone into the house and thrown the milk pail on the floor, then upset nearly everything in the house and broke the windows. He then went upstairs for Mr. Wheelers revolver and also some cartridges from a bureau drawer and loaded the revolver. After shooting the little boy he took out the empty cartridge, then opened the breast of his shirt and deliberately shot himself through the heart. The only motive known for the crime is that Mr. Wheeler refused to allow him to go to a picnic which is being held at Moose Lake, near Sidney today
The Toronto Star Saturday Jan 17, 1899 Page 3
Samuel Wardell, a Barnardo boy, who is wanted in York Township for stealing a harness from Albert Monck, his employer, was arrested at Nappanee on Friday.
1900 March 12 Arrivals, Knowlton, QC Monday, 1900 March 12th issue of the Sherbrooke Examiner, "Distributing Home, Knowlton, Que.
The children whose names follow were among the number, who recently arrived here from Liverpool, England. They are all healthy, and we are hopeful they may in time abundantly repay all the love, care and interest attended to them. Applications, stating number in family, age, and sex of child wanted, should be accompanied by ministers letter of recommendation and rail fare, thus saving time and disappointment and facilitating arrangements. Where applicants cannot be suited money will be returned at once. If desired, we can send photographs of any of these little ones.
Willie F., age 4, motherless, brother to Mary and Edith, sturdy little fellow, blue eyes. Tommy, age 6, nice looking, bright, fatherless, brown eyes. Johnnie, age 7, attractive, curly hair, brown eyes, recites. Willie W., age 8, motherless, brown eyes, brother to Johnnie. George, age 8, motherless, fair scholar, blue eyes. Jimmie, age 8, motherless, well grown, quiet, blue eyes,bros. to Amelia. Alfred, age 9, motherless, brown eyes, has winning ways. Herbert, age 9, fair, blue eyes, speaks nicely.
Jessie, age 3, fatherless, blue eyes, chatty. Nellie, age 4, nice child, motherless, dark brown eyes. Amelia, age 6, good size for age, blue eyes, quiet, sister to Jimmie. Mary, age 6, sister to Edith, bright girl, motherless, blue eyes. Edith, age 8, blue eyes, good scholar. Aggie, age 8, fair, blue eyes."
Saturday, Nov 10 1900 The Manitoba Morning Free Press page 9
A Barnardo Boy Killed Joseph Trecket loses his life at Clandeboy while taking a horse to the stable West Selkirk, Man Nov 9 - Joseph Trecket, a Barnardo boy, in the employ of John Gibson, a farmer of Clandeboye, while taking a young horse from the pasture was dragged to the stable and died before he could be transferred to the house
Saturday, February 16, 1901 page 1 The Toronto Star
A Coasting accident While coasting last night at Eglinton Henry Modack, a Barnardo boy, collided with a sleigh and broke both bones of the left leg. He was removed to the General Hospital. In the 1901 census, young Henry was a patient in the Hospital in Toronto, listed under the name of Henry Maddock aged 17 (image says 14)
Wed April 14, 1901 page 3 The Toronto Star Neglect is Charged Man is accused of Not Securing Medical attention ****** Special to the Star Macgregor, Man. April 14,
A coroners jury found that Herbert Albert Owens came to his death through lack of medical attention and ignorance of the seriousness of the lad's condition on the part of his guardian, Hodge. Owens was a Barnardo boy who died of a gangrenous blood poisoning from a neglected frost bite. Hodge is detained in custody. He will be charged in Portage la Prairie with criminal neglect
Sat Aug 31, 1901 page 6 The Toronto Star
Boy Suicides Grand Valley, Ont. Aug 31 - Samuel Cummings, a Barnardo boy about 13 years of age, who had been living with Robert Ritchie of East Luther since April committed suicide by taking Paris green
Manitoba Morning Free Press Tuesday Dec 2, 1902
Sayers (John) seeks his brother Jonathan and sisters Elizabeth and Eunice, who went from the Schools at Banstead, Surrey to Canada in 1888
Manitoba Morning Free Press Tuesday June 17,1902
Tomlin (James) seeks his sister Emil and brothers Edward and William who were sent to Canada in 1897
Manitoba Morning Free Press Wed, Jan 28 1903
Snary, Frank went from Dr Barnardos home to Ontario in 1891 - Mother and sister ask
Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba Wednesday July 1, 1903 page 10
Marney, John of North Hyde school, was last heard of two years ago from Caper Cluff, Canada. Mother enquires.
Manitoba Morning Free Press, Winnipeg, Manitoba Tuesday Feb 18, 1903
Whittingham, William H. is asked for by his sister Alice who says, "Our parents parted at Shadwell about 1891, father taking my brother with him but I have since learned that William was sent to an orphan school in America."
Manitoba Morning Free Press Thus Feb 19, 1903 page 3
Clarke (Albert W) was going to Canada from Dr. Barnardo's in 188?. Brother Benjamin asks.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Monday Feb 23 1903 page 3
A Barnardo Boy Released From Prison to be Returned to England. Magistrate Wm. Trant, of Regina, who is in the city at present, states that a Barnardo boy named Smith, who was brought before him recently and sentenced to a term of imprisonment, has been pardoned by the minister of justice. It appears that the boy was brought before Magistrate Trant on a charge of pilfering and informed the court that he had been in the habit of picking up small things and appropriating them for himself for some time past. The magistrate thought from the evidence that Smith was afflicted with kleptomania and adjourned the case for a week in order to hear from the Barnardo Home management before sentencing the lad; as there is no boys' reformatory in the Territories to which he could be sent. As nothing was heard from the Barnardo people, Smith was given a sentence when he came up again which would not expire until the spring, as it was not thought advisable to turn him adrift in the winter. Subsequently, Mr. Trant says, he heard from the Barnardo people who promised to return the boy to England if he were released. Mr. Trant then recommended the boy's pardon to Hon. Mr. Fitzpatrick on the above condition, and yesterday a reply was received that the pardon had been granted. The boy will accordingly be returned to the old country.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Monday, March 9, 1903 page 3
Wenman (Francis) seeks her sisters Charlotte and Matilda, and brother Jas. Wenman who went to Canada from McPherson's Home about 20 years ago; last letter from Galt, Canada in 1882. 1881 census-Census Place London, Middlesex, England Richard WENMAN Head M 38 Finsbury, Middlesex, England Bill Poster Phillis WENMAN Wife M Female Housewife Charlotte WENMAN Daur Female 11 Matilda WENMAN Daur Female 9 James WENMAN Son Male 5 came under a variation of his surname 21 [DOC] WEMMIN James 9 M SS Sardinian 1884 Source Information: Dwelling 3 Eagle Wharf Road In 1883, Charlotte & Matilda sailed to Canada under the name of Wennin on SS Circassian with an unknown group, James went in 1884 on SS Sardinian with Miss Macphersons, I wonder if their sister who must have been either much older or much younger as she is'nt listed with them in 1881, found them or not. There is a Frances Wenman born 1881 listed as being born & residing in London in 1891,
The Toronto Star Toronto Ontario Monday May 11 1903 page 7
Boys come with the Immigrants Forty Six Little Fellows for the Fegan Home Arrived today
The Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba Friday Oct 23, 1903 page 3
Curtis (Henry) was sent to Canada from Dr. Barnardo's home in 1897; left Manitoba in 1901. Mother asks. ****** McCarthy (Patrick W) went to Canada with St Joseph's schoolboys 21 yrs ago; last heard of working in a mill at Coaticout, Falls River, USA. Sister Emma asks.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba Wednesday Nov 18, 1903, page 3 Victim of Train Wreck Identified
Hewlett was a young Englishman lately employed in C P R Shops The body of a man killed in the collision on the C N R tracks in St Boniface on Monday afternoon was yesterday identified as that of George Thomas Hewlett, a young Englishman who was brought to the is county 9 years ago under the auspices id Dr Barnardo's Home. His identity was established by Mr. A Dryden, a farmer at Union Point with whom the deceased had been employed about three years ago. Hewlett was first engaged with a farmer in Ontario after his arrival in Canada in 1894. Four years later he was transferred to the Winnipeg home and placed with a farmer at Shrubland, Man with whom he served out his apprenticeship. He subsequently went to work for Mr. Dryden at Union Point and came to the city and secured employment in the C P R shops a year or so ago. He worked there steadily in the carpentering department until being laid off in company with about 200 other men about 10 days ago. He called at Barnardo's home last week and informed Mr. Davis that he was out of employment but had work in the prospect. What it was he did not say, or where he was going. He had been boarding with Mrs. Ryan on Notre Dame st. The records of the Home give Hewlett's age as 21 years and also chronicle him as a boy of most exemplary character, strictly sober and honest. He had two sisters residing in London, Eng. The remains will be taken in charge by the Barnardo authorities for interment after the inquest today.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg, Manitoba Dec 11, 1903 page 9
Hoy (Alice) went to Canada from the Kirkdale Industrial school, Liverpool; last heard of 17 years back from Lyon's PO Canada. Sister Anne asks.
The Albert Journal, Albert County, New Brunswick, 6 May 1904
Waterside - A very servious accident happened to Percy Love the little ADOPTED BOY OF C.W. Anderson, TAKEN FROM THE MIDDLEMORE HOME IN BIRDMINGHAM ENGLAND, while playing in the barn on Friday evening he accidently pulled over a large team sled which was leaning against the wall. He was knocked down, the sled runners struck him violently on the head. George Anderson who was feeding the cattle close by heard the nosie and rushing to his rescue, blood flowing profusely from the mouth, nose and ears. He was carried to the house apparently dead, but when signs of life were seen, Dr. Murray was summoned and remained all night. He succeded in bring the little fellow to partial consciousness by morning. He is in critical condition and his many friends are very anxious for his recovery as he is an exceptional bright boy. The child did pull through as he appears in 1911 with George and Astina Anderson in Harvey, Kings & Albert, NB, he arrived in 1903 aged 5, with Middlemore Homes on SS Siberian. He enlisted in WW1 in 1916 under the name of Lionel Percy Love, birthplace Birminghan, address: 64 Harrison Street, St Johns, NB, occ-repairman, friend-Jennie Anderson
The Manitoba Morning Free Press August 11, 1904 Oxbow Homesteader Missing
Friend of George Cullen Anxious as to his whereabouts - was deranged Oxbow, NWT - August 10 - The friends of George Cullen, who owns a homestead ten miles northeast of her, are anxious as to his whereabouts. He became suddenly deranged while returning home on Saturday and has not been seen since. He was last heard of on Saturday at Carnduff, heading for Melita. He is a Barnardo Home Boy, height 5 feet 5 inches, complexion fair, clean shaven, with dark suit of clothes and white linen hat, age 21 years
The Manitoba Morning Free Press April 27, 1905 Winnipeg Manitoba page 16
Enquiry is made by the commissioner of immigration for John Mitchell who left Glasgow with Mr. Quarrier twenty four years ago and is supposed to be farming in Western Canada.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg, Manitoba May 24, 1905 page 5
Pitt (Arthur) was sent from Liverpool to a home or training ship in Scotland 11 years ago and afterwards to Canada. Brother William and sister Addie ask
Saturday June 17, 1905 The Globe and Mail page 6
Orphans for Ontario The Children are to be selected with care Will come from a number of homes in Dublin - Children will be under careful supervision when placed out An order in Council has been passed authorizing the Smyly Orphan Homes of Dublin, Ireland to bring out a number of selected children out annually for settlement in Ontario. These children will be brought from the following Dublin Institutions - the Girls' Home and the Elliott Home, on Townsend street; the Boys Home on Canal Street; the Coombe Boys Home and the Birds Nest at Kingston. A fine residential property as Hespeler has been purchased as the Ontario Distributing center and Mr. and Mrs. George Tebbs will take up their residence there and maintain supervision after the children are placed out. A small party of boys will be brought our this fall, but chiefly to help in preparing the receiving home for the children who will come out in the spring. The application was approved and recommended by Mr. J J Kelso, Superintendent of the Neglected Children Department. A link to the 1911 census page for the Hespeler distributing home for the Irish orphans
Buckingham Post, 9 Feb 1906:
The Coroner's inquest into the causes which lead to the death of Arnold Walsh, an orphan boy residing with James Kelly, has resulted in the jury...bringing in the following verdict. That the late Arnold Walsh came to his death as a result of cruel ill-treatment at the hands of James Kelly. We also demand the arrest of the said James Kelly for manslaughter and of the opinion that he should be taken before a court of justice to answer the charge against him... As we go to press Kelly is on trial... ****** Buckingham Post, 23 Feb 1906: The preliminary trial of James Kelly at Masson for ill-treatment of...Arnold Walsh is over, and the following verdict has been rendered according to the Ottawa Citizen...James Kelly was guilty of neglect and ill-treatment of Arnold Walsh, and do hereby commit him to stand his trial at the next court of King's Bench... The deceased was under 16 years of age and Kelly was his legal guardian...The coffin in which Kelly buried young Walsh, as well as the clothing, were ordered sent to Hull...We have evidence of almost inhuman treatment of Walsh on the part of Kelly...drove Kelly to Hull Saturday evening...and Kelly was locked up. ****** Buckingham Post, 2 March 1906: Until such time as the assizes are held at Hull this coming summer or autumn James Kelly is a free man. His advocate Mr. Yvon his release Monday on $4000 bail. Kelly himself gave bonds of $2000, his father-in-law Mr. Kane and his brother-in-law McAndrew going security in $1000 each.
advertisement by the Catholic Emigration Association's headquarters in Hintonburgh 10 Aug 1906
I found it somewhat interesting to read an advertisement by the Catholic Emigration Association's headquarters in Hintonburgh in the 10 Aug 1906 edition, essentially asking employers to return unsatisfactory children for a replacement rather than "subject it to treatment which might be construed into cruelty or undue harshness".
Tuesday, Sep 11, 1906 page 1
Say Girl was Ill treated R. C. H. Cassells on behalf of the Dr. Barnardo home has applied for a writ of habeas corpus directed to Curtis D. Beemer, a farmer near Pelham Union. The society is seeking to recover a little 14 year old girl named Winnifred Payne which it gave into Beemer's care and which it alleges has not been properly treated.
Tuesday, January 8, 1907 The Toronto Star page 4
Boys Homes Orangeville: The following are the Toronto institutions which, in addition to the Barnardo Home, place boys in homes: Boys Home, 339 George Street, The Fegan Boys Distributing Home, 295 George Street: Sacred Heart Orphanage, 1749 Queen street West.
Buckingham Post, 19 Jan 1907:
In winding up the Hull assizes until the March term the following sentences were imposed...James Kelly of Masson found guilty of manslaughter in the case of the boy Arnold Walsh, a ward of the Catholic Immigration Society, was sentenced to 7 years in the penitentiary at St. Vincent de Paul...Judge St. Pierre addressed Kelly as follows-...the way you treated that poor boy when he was unable to work and the way in which the body was found, leave no excuse. We must treat those boys, who are to become future citizens, well...I do not see how you could have forgotten yourself, forgotten that the boy was far from home and that you were his protector. .. ****** Buckingham Post, 18 Oct 1907: Mr. J.M. McDougall, the attorney who defended James Kelly of Masson...has entered action in the Hull courts for $737, being his fees for conducting the defence. The accused when sentenced did not pay his attorney and let the account stand...Though Kelly is in jail, he has a farm and considerable property, which is being managed by his wife. And may Arnold Walsh rest in peace. following information about Arnold Walsh while reading old editions of the Buckingham (Quebec) Post. I believe this is the same Arnold Walsh who is listed on the Library and Archives Canada website as having arrived in Canada in July 1905 with the Catholic Emigration Association. The group's destination was St-George's Home in Hintonburg.
Tuesday May 28, 1907 page 13 The Toronto Star
Forty Fegan Boys Forty boys from the Fegan Home, London, and twelve from the Hurst House Training Home, South Croydon, Surrey have reached Toronto and are now at the Fegan branch and George Street. The lads who range from 10 to 16 will be placed on Ontario farms. This is the first contingent from Hurst House. Should the experiment succeed the Surrey institution will send out fifty boys yearly.
Manitoba Morning Free Press August 8, 1907 Winnipeg Manitoba
Lloyds Weekly News (London) has the following list of missing relatives. Correspondents are asked to give full addresses and the dates of the enquiries to which they refer Colonial and Foreign Enquiries From Chicago -Charles Harris, who was sent to Canada by Dr. Barnardo's home 10 or 12 years ago, writes for news of his sister, Nellie Harris who was living at Forrest gate, also his uncle, who kept a butcher shop at Forest gate and ?ford From Ontario - Ben Brunton, who left St. Mary's orphanage, Hounslow, about 1889 for Canada, writes for news of his sister Polly and brother Tom From Canada - James Trinity anxiously enquires for news of any relatives.he was in the school of the Salford Catholic Protection society,and afterwards the Buckly Hall college, and was sent to Canada 16 years ago, at the age of 8 years.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press, page 14 Jan 1, 1908 Winnipeg, Manitoba
Mitchell (Alfred George) of Westminster, London, about 10 years ago sent to Toronto, Canada, by Mr. Fagan; last heard of 6 years ago, then on the Canadian Pacific railway. Mother asks.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press, page 10 Jan 10, 1908 Winnipeg, Manitoba
Smith, John and William, sent from St Mary's Catholic school, North Hyde, for Canada, 1896 and 189? Sister Lillie anxiously enquires.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press, page 12 Friday, May 1, 1908 LOST RELATIVES
Mitchell, Herbert and Ellen were sent by Dr Barnardo's to America in 1887. Ellen going to New Jersey and Herbert going to Canada. Father was a shoemaker by trade. Cousin asks.
Manitoba Morning Free Press * 1908-07-22 Lost Relatives Colonial Inquiries From Ontario, Canada - Sidney Manning, last heard of at Kentish Town. Brother H. Manning, who left Dr. Barnardo's Home March 1894 enquires
Manitoba Morning Free Press Wed Aug 5, 1908 page 14
Bowker, Jenny left Accrington at the age of ten with her sister for America in 1891, believed to be near Fall River. Stepmother asks, father dead
Manitoba Morning Free Press Wed Aug 26, 1908, page 8 LOST RELATIVE Broughton, William H left Spitalfields for Canada with Miss MacPherson about 1871, Sister Harriet asks. Father and sisters Emma and Lizzie dead
Manitoba Morning Free Press Thursday Aug 13, 1908
From London Ontario - Mr Albert Hughes, who was 15 years ago sent to Canada by Middlemore Homes, Birmingham writes seeking his sister Maria who 12 years ago was working in William Street, Birmingham Shapcott, William Henry was sent to Canada by Dr. Barnardo about nine years ago. Mother asks.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba Wednesday Oct 21, 1908 page 6 Lost Relatives Colonial Inquiries
From Robson, BC John and Thomas Cowley, of Kings Cross, sent to Canada in 1883 or 1884. Their father was an engine driver and was killed in an accident. Any news of mother and other relatives is anxiously sought.
The Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba May 26, 1909 page 5
Busney (Samuel) left Mitcham schools 12 years ago for Canada. Brother John asks
Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg Manitoba Sept 2, 1909 page 20
Davison (Alfred John) left Liverpool in May 1907 in the Salvation Army's chartered steamer Southwark; was engaged as an asylum attendant in Toronto and was last heard of in Montreal. Sister in law enquires. Tippen (Alfred Albert) emigrated to Canada three and a half years ago through the Church Army; last heard of at Winnipeg about 2 years ago. Father asks.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Wednesday, Dec 15, 1909 page 8 Winnipeg Manitoba
LOST RELATIVES From Colorado; Allen Treverton,who was placed in Mrs. McPherson's Orphan's Home in London Fields, about 30 years ago, would be glad to hear from his relatives From Toronto: Margaret Butler, a native of Cheltenham, who was taken from her parents when nine days old, 18 years ago and afterwards sent to Canada, seeks her brother and sisters and also her father, Thomas Butler, an old soldier, if alive. I think that Allen Treverton is this boy - he shows up in Canada in the 1881 Census with a Dunlop family in Port Elgin, Ontario. In 1920 he is in District 9, St Marie's, Idaho, USA , as Allan Treverton, Lodger, age 47, single, born England, immigration year unknown, cook in a hotel TREVETHAN , Alan Age: 4 Sex: M Year of arrival: 1880 Microfilm reel: C-4530 Ship: Sardinian Port of departure: Liverpool Departure Date: 16 Sep 1880 Port of arrival: Quebec Arrival Date: 25 Sep 1880 Party: Miss Macpherson's Comments: 19 children Reference: RG76 C 1 a
The Manitoba Morning Free Press Feb 10, 1910 Winnipeg Manitoba
Lost Relatives Home Inquiries Bennett (Charles Frederick) went to Canada from Redhill Farm school in 1905 was last seen Christmas 1907 at Wapella Sask by his brother Alfred and has not since been heard of. Mother asks. Chivers (Edwin Arthur) was last heard of at St. Francis home, Shefford Beds in 189? and is believed to have gone to Canada. Brother Charles asks. Stacey (Thomas) was sent to Canada from Redhill schools in 1874 and was last heard of 28 years ago. Mother asks.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg, Manitoba Feb 6, 1911
Winson (Sidney James) went to Quebec from Orphanage Home, Derbyshire; was last heard of three years ago, believed to be farming. Brother Arthur asks In the 1911 Census there is a Sydney Winson in subdistrict Ascot Township and Orford Township, Ascot Village, District 198, Sherbrooke, Que. He is 19 years old, English and occupation is listed as Engage, no birth place or immigration year listed. May or may not be the same Sidney as mentioned in the newspaper. In 1901 there is a family as follows Remenham St Nicholas, Berkshire, England William B Winson, head, age 43, born Suffolk Mary A Winson, wife, age 45, born Culford George W, son, age 18, born Cambridge Arthur T, son, age 16, born Suffolk Edith M, daughter, age 11, born Suffolk Sidney J, son age 7, born Berks another sad death in WW1 Sidney James Winson registered for WW1 in Calgary, Alberta (he listed his sister Edith as next of kin so hopefully he reconnected with his family) Sydney J. Winson is listed in the Gibbs Home Sherbrooke Quebec. Born March 15,1894 .Sailed June 7 th 1907 SS Victorian .Arrived June 15 th. with 16 other boys.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Feb 16, 1911
Brown (Benjamin) left Dr Barnardos Home for Ontario beginning 1894 or 1895 Brother Joe asks. Clifford (Bert) went to Canada from Dr Barnardos Home and was last heard of in Ontario two years ago. Cousin Ted asks.
Manitoba Morning Free Press Winnipeg, Manitoba Nov 1, 1913 page 40
Morgan (Percy) was sent to Canada by Whitechapel Guardians 1892. Sister Mary Ann asks
Manitoba Morning Free Press April 27, 1916 Winnipeg Manitoba
Barnardo Boy now near a Earldon Brantford, Ont. April 26 - Pte S.P. Harris of the 125 Battalion, has been notified by British lawyers that owing to deaths in the war he is the next heir to an English Earldon, according to the story he tells. The earldon, with 900 acres, is now held by his maternal uncle, 76 years of age. Harris was a Barnardo boy and with slight prospect until the war came & the heirs met their fates. The title comes through his mother. She died when he was a year and a half old. He states he will not return until he goes with the battalion. He is 23 years of age. The death of a Private SIMON PETER HARRIS appears in the October ll, 1918 edition of the Brantford Expositor. He is listed in the Commonwealth Grave commission site HARRIS Initials: S P Nationality: Canadian Rank: Private Regiment: Canadian Infantry (Western Ontario Regiment) Unit Text: 1st Bn. Date of Death: 27/09/1918 Service No: 772281 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 8. Cemetery: ONTARIO CEMETERY, SAINS-LES-MARQUION He is also on the National Archives attestation site S. P. Harris d 27/09/1918 can be found in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site and the info gives his identification # as 772281. Using that number turns up Simon Peter Harris in the CEF database at LAC. According to the attestation papers Simon Peter Harris was b 15 Aug 1892, Barton, Derbyshire, next-of-kin when he enlisted was Miss Ethel McClary, friend, Brantford, ON. The Home Children database at LAC shows Simon P. Harris arriving in May 1907 from Barnardo's, dest. Toronto.
The Toronto Daily Star Friday Sept 22, 1916 page 15
Soldiers Will was filed $2400 divided between Hospital and Home for Children Pte Thos Mills $2401 The estate of Pte. Thomas Mills, 12 Battalion, C.E.F. who died April 12 last, while "acting in the discharge of his duty in Belgium" passes in two equal shares of $1200 each to the Sick Children's Hospital and the Fegan Boys Home of this City. This disposition is according to his own will made here on Aug 14, 1914 just before he left for Valcartier. This was probated in the Surrogate Court today, Arthur Callon being the applicant named. The soldiers estate is made up of $1100 life insurance, S O E Benefit Society and $1301 cash in the bank.
Saturday, November 24, 1917 page 16 The Toronto Star Pte A Raphael Gassed
Pte Aran Raphael, 295 George St appears in today's list of casualties as gassed. He was a ward of the Fegan's Boys Home and was engaged in farming at Weston prior to enlistment about two years ago. He went overseas with Col. Kingsmills battalion. He is 20 years old and came to Canada about 7 years ago from England.
Tuesday, March 29, 1921 The Toronto Star, page 4 caption under picture of three boys Future Canadians Reach City
Ninety nine boys sent to Canada by Dr. Barnardo's home reached the city today. Among them are (left to right): Charles Newman, George Pyne, and William Cappin
Buckingham Post (Quebec) September 16, 1921
There is a reference to the Brookes children in the Buckingham Post (Quebec) of 16 September 1921. In a short article about Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Pratt's trip through New York and Ontario, it was reported that they visited Mr. Pratt's boyhood friend Edwin Brookes in Bobcaygeon. The article also notes "The Brookes boys, Edwin and James, and a sister, Louisa came to Buckingham from England through the agency of Miss Rye in 1871, Edwin going on Mr. John Pratt's farm, James to Mr. E. Strickland and Louisa to Mr. John O. Smith.".
11 November 1921,
I found a photograph of six children in the Buckingham Post of 11 November 1921, under the heading "Desirable Canadians". The caption reads "English children who recently came to Canada on board the "Empress of France". Their names are: Thomas Marshall Howard, Sydney Ashton, John Kincaid, Lawrence King, Edwin Coleman and Billy Coleman". There is no other identifying info, but the children seem to range in age from about 3 to about 12, and the photo may have been taken on board ship (three of the children are sitting on a bench, with the other three standing behind). Lynn [email protected]
The Toronto Star Toronto, Ontario Monday Jan 28, 1924 page 5
Special to the Star Ottawa, Jan 28 - The following statement has been issued by the immigration department with respect to Charles Bulpitt, the 16 year old boy who hanged himself on a farm near Goderich recently. "Charles Bulpitt, aged 16 years, arrived on or about August 4, 1923, under the auspices of the Marchmont Home, Belleville. He was a ward of this home and the superintendent was the legal guardian of the boy who was placed by him shortly after his arrival with J. Benson Cox, a farmer living near Goderich. Before the boy was sent to Cox enquiry was made by the home as to the character of Cox and the suitability of his home as a place of employment. Upon receipt of the highest testimonials young Bulpitt was sent to Mr. Cox's home by the organization which brought him to Canada. On Oct 27 representatives of the Marchmont Home visited the boy and found the home satisfactory." .. there are several paragraphs which follow and then there is this letter from Charles Bulpitt to the home On November 28 the Marchmont Home wrote that it would be glad for Mr. Cox to keep Charlie. The day before the boy had written the following letter to the home: "No doubt you received a letter from Mr. Cox about two weeks ago telling you about the way I had treated him. I have also read that letter and know it is all true. You will be ashamed to think I did that and I am ashamed myself of it. I have been staying here since that time thinking that you will send for me to take me away from here, but if you will let me, I will stay here a little longer. If Mr. Cox will let me. Perhaps he is only waiting to get a new boy in my place before he lets me go. That day you were here you said that you would give me a photograph. I suppose it was the one that was taken of the band in front of the home, so if you still have one left and as you forgot to give me one, you might kindly give it to me when you write, telling me what you intend to do with me, I am, your sinful client, C Bulpitt,
The Manitoba Free Press Winnipeg, Manitoba Monday, Jan 28, 1924 page 6
London, Jan 27 - Little or no comment has appeared in the London newspapers regarding the suicide of Barnardo Home Boys in Ontario, The Evening News gave prominence to the inquest of the Bulpitt boy at Goderich, along with an interview with Miss Birt, at whose Liverpool sheltering home the boy stayed when enroute to Canada. Miss Birt says the inquest revelations were inexplicable to her, adding that the farmer to whom Bulpitt was sent was "one of the most up-to-date in Canada." The News adds a note from the Canadian Immigration department, which says that the system of inspecting homes in Canada is more rigid in the case of pauper children than in other cases and that the department could not be blamed for isolated cases, even if it could be proved that Bulpitt had been placed in an unsuitable home. The Southampton board of guardians will discuss the case on Tuesday. The Weekly Dispatch says inquiries are being made in London regarding the system of inspecting homes in Canada to which boy emigrants are sent. Prosecution Recommended (Canadian Press Dispatch) ****** Ottawa, Jan 26 - Prosecution of Benson Cox, the Huron County farmer, accused of ill-treating an immigrant boy, Charlie Bulpitt, who committed suicide, has been recommended to the provincial authorities by the department of immigration.Officials of the department stated this morning that the boy had been in Canada only six months, nearly all of which had been spent on the farm of Cox. The homes where these immigrant boys are placed are subject to regular inspection, it was stated, and the time for an inspection of the Cox home was almost due. The ground is taken that the prosecution of Cox is a provincial matter but the Dominion authorities are naturally interest and will probably press for it. Charles Bulpitt's death is registered as Charles Bulbitt, age 16, born in England, parents unknown, at place of death 4 months,in Ontario 4 months He died on Dec 22, 1923 and was buried in Colborne Cemetery on Dec 24, 1923
The Waterford Star edition- Thurs. Jan. 26, 1928 page 6 INJURED BY HORSES BARNARDO BOY DIES
Simcoe. Jan. 20 - Walter Bryant, 17-year-old Barnardo boy died at Norfolk General Hospital this morning as the results of injuries inflicted yesterday afternoon when he fell from a load of wood at the farm of his employer, William Hanselman near Lynedoch. No one witnessed the accident, but from the condition of the load when the victim was found it would appear that the heavy box had shifted forward, throwing the lad under the horses' feet. He was trampled upon and sustained internal injuries to the chest and lower body. The young man had been out from England four years, and had no relatives in this country.
The Syracuse Herald Syracuse, New York Sept 11, 1933 page 18
Wallace Ford, appearing this week in"Three Cornered Moon" at the Paramount, was picked up as a waif in Liverpool, England, and was reared in Dr. Barnardo's home for Orphan Boys in London. He never knew his parents or his real name. He was sent to Canada with a group of orphans and was given a home with a farmer. Mistreated he ran away when 14. Ford has had stellar roles in several Broadway productions and also an extensive training in stock productions in Denver, Cleveland, Nashville, Albany and other cities. His wife is a niece of Joseph Cawthorne, former Broadway star.
Thursday, Dec 24, 1936 The Globe and mail page 12 Long search by Barnardo Boy ended
London, Dec 23 - Wallace Ford, film actor, who has been seeking his mother for 21 years, found her today living in an auto trailer beside the river at Northwich, Cheshire. She was known locally as Mam Kit and is married to a match seller known as Blind Dan. After talking to her for 5 hours Ford says he is convinced she was the mother he had sought for years. Ford whose real name was Samuel Jones, was placed in Dr. Barnardo's home as a foundling when he was 3 years old - 35 years ago. With 300 others he was sent to Toronto at the age of 7. He went on to the American Stage in 1915 and then began his long search to locate his mother. The only clue he had was her name - Catherine Jones. A year ago the Los Angeles police got in touch with Scotland Yard, which in turn, narrowed the search to Lancashire. A letter from a scrap iron merchant at Northwich last July told Ford about "Mam Kit". Through an aunt, Mrs. Mary Beddoes of Birkdale, Southport, who placed him in the foundlings home, he definitely established the relationship. Mrs. Beddoes had not seen Ford's mother for thirty years. "I'm glad it is all over", Ford said. "I'm going to get a little house in Northwich where my mother and her husband can spend the rest of their days in peace. She has had a hard life".
The Winnipeg Free Press, Dec 19, 1935, page 10 Winnipeg, Manitoba
Smith Now finds he is named Palmer and has mother, sister After having been known as Fred W. Smith since his boyhood days, a railway man at Vivian, Manitoba learned about a year ago that his name was not Smith at all, but Palmer. As a little child, Mr. Palmer had been placed in Dr. Barnardo's home in London, England. As such he came to Alberta, where he was placed with a farmer in Innisfail. He stayed there less than a year, ran away for cause and gradually drifted into Winnipeg, later to Lorette, in Manitoba, working at this latter place, a boy of twelve, and generally becoming known as Smith. When the Grand Trunk commenced its operations in the Lorette district he entered its employ and later that of the Canadian Nationals railways. With the exception of one year he has worked for these two railway companies ever since. Some time ago the Canadian National urge its employees to produce birth certificates. Palmer, who in the meantime had married and become the father of two daughters and one son, was now forced to probe into his past. He wrote to the Barnardo home for information regarding himself, and after a great deal of writing and investigating learned at last about a year ago not only his true name but also that he was three years younger than he had thought himself to be. He is 48 years old now. He and his wife and children have assumed their true name and are now known by their real name. They have taken all necessary steps to legally effect this change. The birth certificates of all the children as well as the marriage certificate of one daughter have had to be changed and real estate transferred from Smith to Palmer. One of the remarkable and pleasing incidents of Mr. Palmer's search for his own name in England has led to the discovery by him that his own mother and one sister, now married, are still alive in the Old Country. A lively correspondence has been the result.
Saturday, June 25, 1938 The Globe and Mail page 3 Former Barnardo Boy
Guelph, June 24 (CP) Robert Shaw, who was reprieved from a sentence of death which was to have been carried out at midnight last night in Michigan City, IND. was a former Barnardo boy who worked in the farm of George Fielding, Puslinch Township, near here. Fielding said Shaw worked for him from the time he immigrated to Canada in 1923 until 1930. He then went to work for another farmer. It was entirely unlike Shaw to get into such a scrape, Fielding said. "I got him out of the home the day he arrived and brought him here." He said he learned of the youth's death sentence through a magazine picture.
The Toronto Star Thursday Feb 8, 1945
Sergt. Ronald Norman Smelt, Carleton and York regiment, one of more than 800 Barnardo boys from Canada serving in the forces, was injured in the right foreman and right eye, when a mine exploded in Italy, Jan 4 according to word received here by J. Hobday, manager of Dr. Barnardo's Homes. Sergt. Smelt has two brothers serving overseas, Douglas with No. 1 Canadian Ordnance enforcement unit and John Thomas with the Hastings and Prince Edward regiment.
The Winnipeg Free Press Wednesday, July 5, 1978 page 69 Emma Rose Hockham
On Sunday, July 2, 1978 at the Convalescent Home of Winnipeg, Miss Emma Rose Hockham, aged 81 years of Winnipeg. Miss Hockham was born in London, England and came to Canada under the auspices of the Dr Barnardo Home when she was 13 years old, she worked on farms for a time, later coming to Winnipeg where she was employed in various household capacities. She retired at age 72 years when her employer died and friends arranged her admission to Fred Douglas Lodge, in 1971 due to illness it was necessary to move her to the Convalescent Home of Winnipeg. There are no relatives living in Canada to mourn her death and no known relatives in England. A gravesite service was held in Brookside Cemetery on Wednesday (today) at 2:30 pm Rev S.R. Foreman officiated. The Thomson Funeral Chapel is in charge of arrangements. She arrived in 1910 on SS Sicilian with Dr Barnardos as Rose E Hockham, in 1901 she appears in Newington aged 3, with William Hockham, 50, Hannah Hockham, 34 and siblings Harry, 9 and George, 7, Harry seems to have come to Canada in 1902 on the SS Colonial with Dr Barnardos.
Denton Journal Denton, Maryland Saturday, Nov 23, 1935 page 4
The Prince of Wales made a strong appeal in 1934 for funds with which to start a settlement for children who would be taken from English slums and sent to Vancouver island in British Columbia. On September 12, the first of these started out from London. They had been freed from the fetters of "slumdon" and were on their way to home in British Columbia. The children were all under ten years of age and were all from depressed areas. They go first of all to Fairbridge Farm School on Vancouver and are to live with other children under the care of matrons, in county surroundings, and are to receive ordinary school education until old enough to start work on a farm.


To Homepage