You have arrived on Shirley Farone’s Website possibly via the link from Nan Dixon's pages. My homepage contains an index to many, many other interesting features.

Town of Ellisburgh

pp. 145-165

This town, embracing Minos and Henderson (No. 6, as designated on the surveyer general’s map), was erected from Mexico, into a township on the 22d of Feb. 1803; the first town meeting being directed to be held at the house of Lyman Ellis, at which the following town officers were chosen; Edward Boomer, supervisor; Lyman Ellis, clerk; Caleb Ellis and Amos B. Noyes, overseers of the poor; Jeremiah Mason, Samuel Rhodes, and Benj. Boomer, commissioners highways; Matthew Boomer, constable and collector; Abiah Jenkins, constable; John Thomas, Christopher Edmonds, and Dyer McCumber, fence viewers; C. Ellis, Jeremiah Mason, Timothy Harris, Benj. Boomer, D. McCumber, Joseph Holley, overseers of highways.

Supervisors. -- 1803, Edward Boomer; 1804,5, Lyman Ellis; 1806, Nathaniel Wood; 1807, L. Ellis; 1808, 9, Joseph Allen; 1810, Orimal Brewster; 1811-14 Lyman Ellis; 1815, 16, Ebenezer Wood; 1817, L. Ellis; 1818-20, Pardon Earl; 1821, E. Wood; 1822-23, P. Earl; 1824-29, Wadsworth Mayhew; 1830, Daniel Wardwell; 1831-36, Jotham Bigelow; 1837, Ezra Stearns; 1838, Samuel Hackley; 1839, E. Stearns; 1840, Wm. C. Pierrepont; 1841-42, Ezra Stearns; 1843, Wm. C. Pierrepont; 1844, John Littlefield; 1845, James Clark; 1850, Alvah Bull; 1851, 52, James J. Steele; 1853, Alexander Dickinson.

Wolf bounties of $2.50 in 1803; of $15 in 1807, 8; of $10 in 1811-12. In 1804, 5, “Resolved, that the method of voting shall be by each person’s passing round and naming the persons he would wish to elect, to fill the several offices.” In 1816, voted to build a town house.

This town derives its name from Lyman Ellis, of Troy, who settled as a proprietor in 1797, and who afterwards for several years acted as an agent. He died in town, March 13, 1847, aged 87. His character is briefly summed up in his epitaph; “Modesty, honesty, and charity, adorned his walk in life.”

On the 11th of April, 1796, Marvel Ellis,* (Marvel Ellis died in Utica, in 1806, aged 46; he removed there in 1803.) of Troy, N. Y., contracted with Wm. Constable, for the purchase of this town, excepting a marshy tract, each side of Sandy Creek, near the lake, which was afterwards included, and a tract of 3000 acres, in the south-west corner, sold to Brown and Eddy. The sum of $22,111.50 was paid, and a deed given, March 22, 1797, upon which a mortgage was given back upon the balance, amounting to $98,943.45. This mortgage embarrassed the early sales, and confidence was not restored, until the property had reverted to the Constable estate, some years afterwards.

The greater part of the town was surveyed by Calvin Guiteau, in 1797, except the eastern part, that was surveyed by Nelson Doolittle and the 3000 acre tract in 1800, by Benjamin Wright, of Rome; the latter, in 1808, surveyed the whole town. A proposition had been received from Moody Freeman, for the purchase of the town, but a bargain was not effected. The town, including the marshes, which in dry seasons afford wild grass, but which are often flowed, contain 54,721¾ acres. The field notes of Guiteau, made in 1796, contain the following memoranda.

Lot 23 (next west of 23). “About 20 chains from the west line is a small fall in the creek, where the water is confined to a narrow channel, and then expands out, forming a depth of ten or twelve feet of water of a smooth rocky bottom, and filled with innumerable multitude of salmon, the clearness of the water being such that they may be seen in any part of it.” In the early settlement of the country these fish ascended as far up as the town of Rodman, but since the erection of dams and mills, they have scarcely appeared in Sandy Creek.

In the spring of 1797, Marvel and Lyman Ellis, brothers, and both interested in the purchase, found their way into town, the latter with the view of permanent settlement. In the fall of the same year, Caleb Ellis, having met with Lyman Ellis, at Rome, was casually introduced with the expectation that a relationship existed, but none was found; yet the interview resulted in an invitation to settle in the new town. Caleb Ellis accordingly visited the town, and selected a farm on the south branch of Sandy Creek, at a place where one Waldo had the year previous erected a hut for hunting.

Many men were employed by Lyman Ellis, the same season, who had at its close built a dam and saw mill, three-fourths of a mile below the present site of Ellis Village, and the mill was got in operation, the same fall, but was partly swept off early the next spring by flood. In the winter of 1797-98, Wm. Hicks, with ______ Buller (sic) and B. Pierce, remained in town, and in the spring of 1798, Caleb Ellis and family, Robert Fulton, Elijah Richardson, Hezekiah Pierce, Chauncey Smith, Wm. Root, Vial Salisbury, Isaac Waddle, Abram Wilcox, two men by the name of Thornton, and others, came into town with Lyman Ellis, to rebuild the mill, and erect a grist mill, but nearly all were taken sick, and the pioneers were reduced to great suffering from want of provisions and necessary medical attendance.

The first death in Ellisburgh, was Mary, a young daughter of Caleb Ellis, and the first death of an adult, was that of Samantha Howard. The first birth is said to have been that of Ontario Pierce, a son of Hezekiah Pierce, in the summer of 1798. For the instruction of those who attach faith to sayings, we would notice that it is related as said by an old Indian, “that once in thirty years,” there had been noticed a period of sickness among such of their number as had sojourned here. Whether this was said before or after the sickly season of 1828, we are not informed.

To supply the place of mills, Mr. Ellis and his settlers constructed, after models of their own device, those primitive mortars, used from necessity in all new settlements, and made by boring and burning a cavity into the top of a hard wood stump, over which, was suspended a pestle by a spring pole. With much difficulty, during the season, the saw mill was again fitted up, and the dam rebuilt; the iron and heavy freight as well as the furniture of settlers, having been brought into town in open boats by way of Wood Creek and Oswego.

Marvel Ellis wrote to Constable as follows:

“We have a good dam across the creek, which has been expensive; a good saw mill, well finished, and running, and have done considerable towards a grist mill. We have on the same lot a large and handsome improvement, have had a fine crop of wheat, and have very fine corn. The people that are on the land, have good improvements for the time and are industrious. I inclose you an account of the small sales to the settlers, the price sold for, and what has been received, which is a small sum in proportion to what has been laid out on the land; if people would have been satisfied of having a release from the mortgage, by paying you, we should have had sufficient to have made the present payment now due. The remainder of the money due from these settlers, is due within a year. We wish you to give us some further indulgence, and something to convince people that you will release from the mortgage on receiving payment, which will enable us to make payments for the land, and make a large settlement soon.”

Joseph Caldwell, 60; Wm. Hicks, 51; John G. Hayward, 150; Caleb Ellis, 126; Neal Salsbury, 100; Elijah Pettybone, 100; John Paddock, 50; Isaac Southerland, 130; Asahel Humphrey, 419; Elisha Phillips, 100; Levi Root, 140; Hez Peirce (sic), 149.

The first corn and potatoes raised in the county by the present race of settlers, was by Lyman Ellis in 1797, who also, in 1798, was probably the first to raise winter wheat.

The winter of 1798-99 was one of remarkable severity. Snow fell on the 29th of Oct. and lasted till the 20 of April. A settler in town (Gideon Howard) having been to Rome, was returning when the first snow fell, and was overtaken by night in the woods near Little Sandy Creek, 5 miles from home. In the morning the snow had fallen nearly four feet, and was so light that it was impossible to travel in it. He had only provision enough to last home without obstruction, and was detained three days, endeavoring to struggle through, having constructed a pair of snow shoes which however were of little avail. When he reached home he was nearly exhausted from fatigue and hunger.

In the spring of 1799, the dam of Ellis was again swept off, and the mill partly destroyed when this and the frame of a grist mill were removed to the present village above, and the latter was got in operation about 1803.

Many interesting details of the early settlement of this town and county, are given in the following extracts from the diary of James, the brother of Wm. Constable, who in 1803-4-5-6, made tours in the summer months through these northern counties, on business connected with the estate of his deceased brother, of which he was one of the executors. The original copy is owned by Henry E. Pierrepont, Esq. of Brooklyn, who has allowed us to make the following extracts.

* * * September 5th, 1803. “Our course was west for some time, till we got to town No. 11 (Orwell) and I began to feel interested before we got there. The country was very pleasant, fine forests of large timber, and no underwood or brush, so that although the road was no better than a rugged path, and not a creature to be seen, I felt much pleased, as we journeyed on at the rate of two and a half miles per hour. We could not well judge of the soil, but by the timber it was covered with, which is principally maple, and beech, with a small portion of hemlock, which denotes good soil. *** After travelling some miles, I had at last the gratification of seeing a settler here (in No. 10, or Sandy Creek). Three men were cutting and burning large piles of enormous trees. Ellis being acquainted with them, we went and staid in their hut, which was about 12 square feet, built of logs; no chimney, and but very little furniture. There were two beds, in one of which a man and wife slept, and in the other the other two men. One man was distant from his family 70 miles. They had a contract from B. Wright for 500 acres at 12s being first settlers, and from their appearance and character, I think the land well sold, for they are the right sort to settle the country. We dined on salt pork, with good bread, butter, and chocolate, much to my satisfaction.

We left them at 4 o’clock for Ellisburgh, 9 miles distant, and soon after it began to rain quite hard, and continued till we got home. From the timber and appearances of this town I thought it superior in soil to any we had passed. I had the satisfaction to find that settlers and all other people find it equal to their wishes. We retired to bed about 8 o’clock and slept well. It was my intention the next morning to have gone to see every man in the settlement, but this was unnecessary, for immediately after breakfast, many of them came, and some from a considerable distance.

September 6th. Had several consultations with the settlers, who seemed well pleased with my coming, and satisfied with my explanation. I heard of a daughter of one of them who had been seized with a fit and lay speechless for the preceeding (sic) twenty-four hours. There was no doctor on the town, and they had to send twenty miles twice, to one who was from home. This affected me much and determined me to propose encouraging one to settle here, when I meet the Co-ex’rs. Perhaps a lot of 50 acres, given to one, would be well bestowed. A parson will also soon be applied for. He will be useful here, and I think has some strong claims upon us, as I shall explain.

September 7th Went after breakfast to see Lake Ontario 5 miles distant, and was much pleased with it. A steady west gale blew up the white caps, which contrasting with the sea green color of the water, had a fine effect. As far as the eye could reach, and the country about us either fine forests, or well cultivated. The more I see of this town, the more I am satisfied of its value. After my return I saw the rest of the settlers, who seemed to come prepared for disappointment, but were soon relieved, and after some explanations, they went away perfectly satisfied. I am convinced this property is extremely valuable, and will settle immediately, now that they feel themselves free from the danger of title. About roads I do not know what to say. *** Mr. Ellis has lived here nearly six years, and all he has received from our testator has been $221, for commission on lands sold. A lot was promised him upon condition of his coming to reside, but he never got a deed for it, though his mills were first erected there from whence they have been since removed to where they now are. He now asks the ex’rs for a conveyance for the lot promised, being No. 94, and for time to pay the above balance, the security for which is ample, as his buildings are valued at $2,000 and the title to the lot they are upon is still with the executors.

There are about 40 families on the town, most of them poor, but of that description of people fit to settle a new country; few comforts about them, and they seem to have few wants; no liquor is to be had, and they have not yet begun to distill, nor are there any apples to make cider, so that their only drink is water, with which they seem content. They do not hesitate about the price of $3, but paying ¼ down is very difficult for most of them. There are good horned cattle amongst them, the horses indifferent, but the only ones fit for a new country. They do not seem to regard distance, and go 9 or 10 miles backward and forward daily, over roads that are nearly impassable.

I regretted much to find some cases of the lake fever, and too many of the fever and ague. I saw two families laid up with the latter, but it is admitted to have declined annually, and will, I trust, soon disappear. The crops of wheat and corn are very fine. I ate of new corn on the 6th of September. 80 bushels of corn have been produced on an acre, but 50 is about the general run. They had not yet turned much of their land to meadow, as they get sufficient hay on the marshes near the lake, which are considered a kind of common, though they belong to us. The town is extremely well watered by the two branches of Sandy Creek, but they are the only constant stream,* (*This was erroneous. There are numerous perennial streams in town, and no section of the county is better watered. F. B. H.) and care must be taken that the lots on these waters are not all sold off, and the others left, for the latter would not sell. Perhaps a new allotment would be advisable.

September 8th. Left Ellisburgh at 4 P. M. for Capt. Boomer’s, five miles distant, where I slept. This man owned about 100 acres in the town, upon which He improved about 15 acres, and the other improvement are, a log house, with some small buildings. He has sold the whole for $900, receiving the great part down, the remainder well secured. Other instances of the value they set upon small improvements might be mentioned, such as another man refusing $1200 for 150 acres, with little more done than the above, but they will be better detailed by conversation.

September 9th. Left Boomer’s to travel by the state road which passes from Ellisburgh through town 7 (Louis; now Adams), 1, 56, 7, to Redfield. * * * What I saw of No. 1 (Lorraine), is much inferior to the remainder, as Wright calls the whole a good town, and it is settling fast.”

The portions relating to the territory now Oswego and Lewis counties are omitted.

August 21st, 1804. “Proceeded on to Ellisburgh, and found the road from Ellisburgh so extremely bad, and so seldom travelled, and another route shorter and better presents itself, so that I have, by the advice of Mr. Wright, judged it advisable to alter to the latter; he is accordingly authorized to give 5 to 6 lots, of 50 acres each, to settlers, entitling them to deeds after a residence a certain time, on 10 and 11, after they have erected buildings and other improvements. The road will be nearly direct from Rome to Ellisburgh, and about 43 miles.

August 23rd. Went down Sandy Creek to the lake, and found the marsh covered with hay stacks, the contents of which had grown spontaneously, and there are many horses and cattle at pasture, which proves that this place is of consequence. Some of it is indeed very fine, and people are very desirous of buying, but no judgment can be formed of the quantity of good and bad, and L. Ellis, is therefore to send me an estimate before the price is fixed. Went to Christopher Edmonds on the north side of the creek. He has a fine farm and has produced the best corn on the town. He expects this year a yield of about 90 bushels per acre. This article is very fine throughout the place, but the wheat has been affected by the fly and rust. The establishment has flourished generally, many settlers have come in since last year, and more are expected. There are now 60 families, and though cases of fever and ague happen near the lake, and sometimes the lake fever, yet the country is a healthy one, and the soil so good that it will settle fast.

August 24th. Left Ellisburgh, with directions to Ellis to sell the reserved lots (9), proceeding through Louis No. 7 (Adams), which is good land, and will settle, nearly the whole being taken up, thence through No. 1 (Houndsfield), formerly sold by Harrison and Hoffman to Champion and Storrs, but which now belongs to several proprietors, among the rest, Messrs. Kemble and Houndsfield. It is a pretty good town, but has not many settlers, and the road only cut out in some places. No. 7, has been sold generally at $3. Arrive at Brownville, on the north side of Black River where we dine at the hotel, a building too large for the present state of the place, and not finished. The country appears somewhat stony about the rivers, and the soil not very good. There are good houses and other buildings, and a good deal of clearing done. The water very low, and Brown’s mill can not work.* (This was Philomel Creek, now entirely dry except in spring and fall. -- F. B. H.) He has a store here, and does a good deal of business with the country people, to whom he pays money for their produce, sending it to Montreal, where he can not always dispose of it on his own account, by which he is a loser. Cross the river, and pass on the south side 10 miles further, through No. 2 (Watertown), belonging to Mr. Low, and No. 3 (Rutland), formerly to Mr. Henderson, but now the property of Isaac Bronson, who bought it at 12s cash, which is considered a great bargain in this part, as it is an excellent town, and well settled. No. 2 is settling by degrees. Slept at Butterfield’s on No. 3, a poor tavern in an old log house.

August 25th. Pass on through No. 4 (Champion), formerly sold by Harrison and Hoffman to Champion and Storrs, a pretty good town tolerably well settled; 10 miles to the Long Falls, where we breakfasted at a middling good tavern. I find good corn universally in the country passed. The winter wheat good as usual, but that of the spring mostly lost by the insect or the rust (dew). What is raised, is used in the country by the inhabitants, and emigrants, and till there is more population, there will be none to spare for another market. It is worth, generally, $1 per bushel. See the falls only at a distance, in part, as it would take much time and trouble to examine them further. Cross the river in a scow, the ferry kept by Baptiste, a Frenchman, one of a considerable number who settled here some years ago; but very few now remain, and the buildings being mostly in ruins, the country appears desolate. Proceed on 4 miles from the river, to a log hut, then 6 miles to another, then 12 to a third, there being but 3 settlers on the Great Tract No. 4, unless there are some on Penet’s Square adjoining the River St. Lawrence.† (†This is erroneous, the Square not being a part of No. 4. -- F. B. H.) This tract belongs to or is under the management of Mr. Le Ray and Mr. G. Morris, and nothing has yet been done towards settling it; the three people now on have a verbal promise that they shall have the land at a fair price, as first settlers; but they are very anxious in their inquiries after Gen. Lewis Morris, who it is understood has undertook the selling of 100,000 acres. The soil on the road is good, but it is said there is a good deal of bad land and broken ground, in the tract. Sleep at Lee’s Tavern, 22 miles from the falls, with hard fare and poor lodgings.

Aug. 26. Pass on 5 miles to the Ox Bow, a remarkable bend in the east branch of Oswegatchie River and a fine situation for a large house. There is now a log hut, at which we breakfasted, and another in sight.” ***

The journal of travel through the St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties and back is omitted.

Sept. 9. Set off from Lee’s, after breakfast, and stop at Stearns’ on No. 4, 12 miles distance, then 10 miles more to the Black River, on the south side. The heat this day excessive. My companions and their horses suffered more than either I or my horse did. Proceeded on 16 miles further to Lowville, through Mr. Harrison’s No. 5 (Denmark), which is very good and well settled, the soil being very rich, and the road deep and muddy, especially for 4 or 5 miles after leaving the river, where are fewest settlers. * * * Squire Collins* (*Jonathan Collins, of West Turin, afterwards judge of Lewis County Court.) gave me some information of the local proceedings, the division of the county, and other intrigues, and with what I have heard from other quarters, it appears that Stow,† († Silas Snow, of Lowville, first judge of Lewis Co. He was Low’s agent.) and Martin† († Brigadier General Walter Martin, of Martinsburgh. F. B. H.) have made themselves very obnoxious, and they will differ about the division of the county on their side of it; each will be supported by opposite interests, and they will be defeated by the management of the proprietors of Redfield, or that of Jacob Brown, of Brownville. Each of the gentlemen requires a court house near to himself, and if they are all to be gratified, Oneida must be divided into five, but there will be opposition to their wishes and perhaps to any division of the county, which would be for the interest of the land owners, as the extra expense would be saved."

The remainder of this year’s journal, and the first of the next omitted, as relating to other sections. On returning, Aug. 6, 1805, he overtook a Mr. Ford, who was cutting out the state road in No. 7 (Redfield).

"Mr. Ford had 4 or 5 hands, and expects to increase to 10 in a few days. He carries with him a house, drawn on an ox sled. It is 14 by 7 of a small scantling and thin boards, but it is a sufficient protection against the weather, and a comfortable place to sleep in. His daughter attends to cook the provisions with them, and as his farm is at Redfield, they get sauce (vegetables) from thence every day or two. * * * Gates’ is the first we come to on No. 1 (Lorraine), on lot No. 75; he is but badly lodged, through he has made a good clearing. We found that Mr. Wright had not passed this way, and Gates could give us no information, but he informed us there was a good road to Mr. Sweet’s, on No. 2 (Worth), where we might meet with him, if he was employed in subdividing that town. We, accordingly, left the state road, and struck off east, intending to sleep at Sweet’s. What we had seen of No. 1 pleased us better than the other two towns, and this appeared to us very good for the distance of 2½ miles to Sweet’s, tho’ no settlers were on it. No tidings of Mr. Wright. The house was small, not a tavern, and full of people, so that we gave up the idea of sleeping there. Sweet and associates are purchases of 5000 acres, that formerly belonged to Mr. Hoffman. We were now at least 2½ miles from Alger’s tavern on No. 1 (Lorraine), and it was late in the evening, but we set off in haste through an untried road, and got there at dusk. The landlord was gone to mill, and the landlady lay sick of a fever. She requested to see one of us, and I went to her bedside, when she expressed her regret at not being able to attend upon us, as she has always been attentive to travellers; -- that the best the house could afford should be prepared; that there was no wheat meal in the house, but her husband had gone for some, and the neighbors, attending her, would see to our accommodation, if we would stay. My companions concluded to go on to Mr. Hunter’s 4 or 5 miles further, but I remained, and after the husband returned, they got me a supper of tea, pork, and bread of Indian meal, and I went to bed in the same room with the landlady, who was indeed very sick, and attended all night, but I slept without waking. I should have preferred another situation, but it was not to be had. Alger has done but little and does not look likely to succeed. He has not made any payment, and hopes for indulgence, but I referred him to Mr. Wright. He is on lot No. 34, and took up 73 acres, but has not made any payment since he came on in 1803, from which time interest is to commence. He has no contract.

Left early next morning, and the bridge over Salmon River being carried away, I forded it. The freshet in the spring was very destructive, three bridges and a mill dam being carried off, besides other damages. * * * On the way to Ellisburgh, found many settlers since last year, and the improvement considerable; the crops of wheat excellent, and the corn good, as they have suffered little from drowth(sic). Arrived at Ellis’ at noon, to remain 2 or 3 days. The mills are in tolerably good order, but the water so low they can grind only part of the day. Grists are brought from a great distance, and in boats from Oswego, and lower. Ellis has built a small house for himself, and a good barn. * * *

Aug. 9. Went down to the lake, and being fine weather, were rowed down Sandy Creek to the mouth. The lake is higher than it has been for some years, and more of the marsh is covered, which has prevented much hay being cut. If the waters continue to rise, which they think probable, most of the marsh will be of no use. We returned from the lake, and were caught in a shower before, we got to Ellis’. The first rain since leaving Schenectady. * * * A schoolhouse is now building, near Ellis’ Mills, on the same lot, to be two stories high, the upper of which is to be devoted to divine service, when any minister travels that way. The town have also subscribed towards building a bridge across the creek, at the same place, and we agreed to contribute $20, as they could not raise sufficient, but they have engaged to improve the road from the bridge to the north line of No. 10. Dr. Dresser has but two patients, and there is less sickness than at any previous year in this season."

The proprietors had adopted the practice of giving certificates, allowing people a certain time after exploring to go for their families, before taking contracts, but it was found, that in many cases these had been transferred, and this having grown into a system of speculation, was discontinued, as they were given to assist the first real settlers, and their transfer operated against the interests of both land owners and settlers. About half of No. 1 was at this time sold. A reputed locality of iron ore was visited on No. 6 (Redfield), which was thought upon examination to be coal, but which, from the description given, must have been the oxyde of manganese.

Aug. 19. "Set off in the morning, and stopped at Gates’, on No. 1, seven miles from Drake’s. Gates is an intelligent man, and has taken up no more land than he can cultivate. He states his inability to meet his payments and hopes for indulgence. He was told that every thing reasonable would be done. Passed on to Smith’s Mills, 7 miles further, but did not stop, and arrived at Mr. Hammond’s in No. 6 (Henderson), where we got dinner, and spent the night. He is settled on Stony Creek, about 1½ miles from what is called the Harbor; has a good log house, built though not finished, and a stone foundation, for a large barn. He has cleared considerable, and owns 350 acres of land. Though the report is that all the land is taken up in town, he tells us there are 6000 acres, that have not yet been surveyed. Mr. Wright expects to meet Mr. Henderson here, about the 20th, to survey and to lay out a village at the Harbor. Went in the evening to see the Harbor, 2 miles distant, and bathed in it. It is formed by a peninsula on Lake Ontario, where Stony Creek empties, and tho’ not a safe one, is a pretty situation. The trees are at present only felled, at some places, so that the prospect can not be judged of, but it will probably be very fine. Mr. Hopkins, the agent for Henderson, has begun a large house, and has gone to Vermont for his family. It narrowly escaped being burned to the ground, by a fire from a piece cleared near it in the dry weather."

The price of land in this town is $3,50 (sic), which is high enough for the soil, which is very light over the rock, so that by burning a fallow, it is nearly consumed, and from the wind falls it appears the roots of the trees can get but a slight hold on the soil, on account of the rocks.

Aug. 15, Left Hammond’s after breakfast, for Sackets Harbor, 12 miles distance. The road to Henderson’s Harbor plain, but in consequence of the chopping, the road to the lake was shut up, and we were obliged to take to the woods for a mile or two, and found it difficult to get along. Saw two or three clearings before we reached the lake, and at each the road or path was almost shut up. When we reached the shore found it rocky and somewhat dangerous for horses. I alighted and walked some miles, but my companions rode the whole distance. When we came to a sandy beach I mounted, and we went on pleasantly for some miles, till we came to a creek*, (*Bedford Creek.) emptying from a beaver dam into the lake which had the appearance of being too deep to ford, but seeing a man on the opposite side, we hailed him, and he answered to us to come on, as the water was not deep. We went on, but the water was at least 3 feet, and I was not easing in crossing. After travelling the beach a mile farther, and through the road another mile, we arrived at Sackets Harbor, which has a very pretty appearance, and promises from its situation to become of importance. A collector’s office is established by the United States, and Mr. Sacket, the collector, has a salary of $700. He called upon us, and we went to his house, which is quite a building, and the premises are very neat. The drouth (sic) has been very severe. He informed us that the proprietors of this town had lately declined selling, but that the whole would sell readily at $5, Mr. Low had determined not to sell at any price, but in this we were afterwards told he was incorrect. He talks of the collector’s office not being worth his attention although 1000 tons of ashes have been sent from the Harbor, and he is quite desirous of selling his whole property. * * *Proceeded to Brownville, 9 miles where we dined; found the water very low, and Brown’s mills not at work. The place is not materially altered from last year, except some new building, and the road through the village turnpike by private subscription. Called on Jacob Brown, who was not at home, but he soon after called upon us, when we were about to set off, * * *. Rutland was formerly sold to Isaac Bronson, by Mr. Henderson, at a great sacrifice, and the former will clear a large sum of money by it, unless as we are told he has given it up to his brother, binding him only to his principal and interest, in which case his brother who lives here will get the benefit of it, and it will be large, if as they say every acre will sell for $5, or $6. The settlers are numerous, on the road at least, and the buildings generally good.

Aug. 16. Left Heth’s (sic) early, and went towards the Long Falls, expecting to be obstructed by many wind falls, in consequence of the boisterous night, but we got on very well, and found the country thickly settled in Champion, where they told us the price of land was from $6 to $10, and not much for sale, when we arrived at the falls, the house on this side not being a tavern, we were obliged to cross the river for breakfast, and were detained nearly an hour at the ferry. Proceeded through great tract No. IV and stopped at Stearn’s 10 miles, where we dined and arrived at Lee’s, 22 miles from the falls, where we passed the night, and as the house was completely full an uncomfortable one it was. I see no alteration in this part of the country since last year; the road at least as bad, and no more settlers. We were told Gen. Lewis R. Morris, has been through it, and has now gone to Vermont, intending shortly to return and perhaps with his family. He has quited (sic) Lee, and other squatters, who seemed well satisfied. He is expected to build at the Ox Bow.

Aug. 17. Left Lee’s very early, and came through to the Ox Bow 5 mile of as bad road as we had yet travelled." * * *

One year afterwards (August 8, 1806), Mr. Constable in going over this route remarked.

"Passed from the Long Falls to the bridge at Indian River (Antwerp Village), where we spent the night. The country generally remains as last year, except at this place where they are building a saw mill for Gen. Lewis R. Morris, who has gone to Vermont, his family not having yet moved to this town." The same journal (August 1806) speaking of the settlements in Ellisburgh says: "From Asa Brown’s passed on to Andrews’ settlement, on Ellisburgh, through a very good road, 4 miles. He has made considerable improvement here. The saw mill has been long in use, and has enabled them to erect frame houses, some good barns, and a large grist mill, which is however not yet finished and after dinner walked to see the lake, which as the wind blew fresh from the west, had a very pleasing appearance, * * *. Ellis rents the mills for $400 per annum, and his affairs will soon be in good order. * * * We heard with great concern the death of Elder Littlefield, which happened a few days before our arrival. He was a man of some consequence and much respected, and has left a widow and nine children. It is supposed he died intestate. * * * There have been some cases of sickness during the season, but none fatal. Dr. Draper is still on the town, and has considerable practice. He will continue here and hopes to build a house next year when he will require a deed for the 50 acres of land to which he is entitled. I should have remarked that 180 militia men trained here yesterday (September 2) and it is said by some that one third were absent. If so the population has greatly increased."

George Tibbets and James Dole, of Troy, were appointed agents for Ellisburgh, and in 1807 were paid for their services in land. In the same year, Benjamin Wright, of Rome, succeeded as general agent for the estate, and fixed his residence at Pulaski, where he continued in the capacity of surveyor and agent until employed on the canal surveys.

No incident worthy of remark occurred until 1806, when the embargo act was passed; that led to much opposition from the Federal party in this county, and was in some places on this frontier systematically violated.

In September, 1808, an event occurred in this town that created great excitement at the time. We take it from accounts published in the Albany Gazette, Oct. 10, 1808. A party from Oswego, under Lieut. Asa Wells, entered Sandy Creek, and after seizing a quantity of potash, under the embargo laws, proceeded to the house of Capt. Fairfield, surrounded it, and seized and carried away a swivel. Mr. F. being absent, his lady made complaint to a justice, who issued a warrant. The constable was intimidated, and called upon his fellow citizens to aid him, when about thirty men took arms, and went with him, but Wells’ men presented bayonets, when they desisted, and twenty of the men went off. Lieut. Wells ordered the remainder to be disarmed, and bound, when they were taken, with the swivel, to Oswego. On the evening of the 25th of September the same party returned, as reported, for the purpose of taking the magistrate and constable, who had issued the papers. A warrant against Wells, and two others, for felony, in breaking open a house, was issued at Sackets Harbor, and given to Ambrose Pease, a constable, to execute, who, after examining the law, raised the hue and cry, and assembled about 200 persons in Ellisburgh, where a consultation of several magistrates was held, and the next day at sunrise about seventy or eighty men, armed and equipped, volunteered to aid in the arrest, but the magistrates durst not issue the order for their march, being apprehensive that some excess or injury might be done, and the question having been raised whether a constable had a right to demand aid, before he had been resisted, the armed men were advised to disperse, and the civil officer requested to proceed to apprehend Wells and the others, without the force of the county. This proceeding was charged, by one of the political parties, as an attempt of the other to resist, by force of arms, the execution of the laws, and mutual criminations were exchanged with much bitterness. To justify themselves, and secure public opinion in their favor, the civil officers who had taken an interest, in the matter, prepared the following statement, which was published in the papers of the day, at Utica, Albany and elsewhere:

"At a meeting of the inhabitants of the county of Jefferson, in the state of New York, suddenly convened (by command of the civil authority), in the town of Ellisburgh, to take into consideration the proper and legal mode to apprehend certain felons and robbers, who, in the town of Ellisburgh in said county, being armed, and under the pretense of being in the service of the United States, to enforce the embargo laws, did there violently, and forcibly, enter into the dwelling house of Captain Fairfield, broke open locks, forced open doors, and robbed the said Capt. Fairfield of his property, contrary to the laws; that they refused to submit to the civil authority of the country, and did then and there, by force and arms, seize, bind and carry away to Oswego, ten of our fellow citizens, who were commanded to attend a civil officer in the execution of process on the said offenders; which citizens have been kept since, in close confinement, in want of every comfort and convenience of life, without lawful authority, and constantly subject to insult of soldiery, who seem insensible of the rights, privileges and liberties of Americans. Feeling the spirit of freemen, and viewing this and many other late acts of violence as rapid strides towards despotism and martial law among us, the establishment of which must occasion a total deprivation of the rights for which our fathers and many of us have fought and bled; therefore,

Resolved, That we consider it a duty incumbent on us, for our personal safety, for the security of our lives and property, and for the support of our civil law and authority, to unite in all lawful measures to apprehend the said felons.

Resolved, That such of our fellow citizens who have assembled in arms to aid our magistrates and civil offices in the execution of lawful process against Lieut. Asa Wells, and others, who stand charged under oath of felony, he requested to disperse, until another trial to be made by them to apprehend the said Asa Wells.

Resolved, That the magistrates and civil authorities of the neighboring counties be requested to aid us in apprehending and bringing to justice the said Lieut. Wells, and divers other persons concerned in the said felony.

Resolved, That we will support the laws and magistrates of the country, and our civil officers in the execution of lawful process.

Resolved, That Augustus Sacket, Jesse Hopkins, and John Cowles, Esqs., magistrates of the county, be appointed a committee to cause these resolutions to be published, for the information of our fellow citizens.

                                                                                                                                                                  AUGUSTUS SACKET, )
                                                                                                                                                                  JESSE HOPKINS,)      Committee.
                                                                                                                                                                  JOHN COWLES,)

Ellisburgh, Sept. 27, 1808.


"During the war a company of Silver Greys, composed of old men and boys, not liable to military duty, was formed in Wood’s Settlement, but was not called to serve, except to guard the beach and mouth of Sandy Creek.

In the spring of 1814, a complete victory was gained with slight loss, by a detachment of troops guarding a quantity of military stores from Oswego under Lieut. Woolsey, which had entered Sandy Creek, and were attacked by a detachment from the British fleet. The details of this transaction will be given in our chapter on the war.

The aboriginal remains of Ellisburgh, have given occasion for the weak minded to believe, that they were in some way concerned with buried treasures, and this being confirmed by the supposed indications of the divining rod, led in early times to explorations for them, despite of the guardianship of the spirits of the murdered, who according to the most approved demonologists, are every placed sentries over concealed coffers. The projectors of these speculations were in some instances charged with making money out of the credulous victims of superstition, by selling provisions, and in several instances, the diggers were almost frightened out of their senses by ghosts and demons; some got fleeced of substantial property in pursuit of imaginary wealth, and others lost the respect of sensible men, by the favor with which they regarded these follies. On a certain occasion in preparing the enchanted circle for digging, a lamb was sacrificed, to appease the guardian demons of the supposed treasure; but this act was generally regarded as a sacrilege, and did much towards bringing discredit upon these heathenish orgies.

It is humiliating to know, that at a period so recent, and in a locality that enjoyed the means of education as early as any in the county, such absurdities of belief in witchcraft should have prevailed, nor is consolation afforded in the fact, that in other sections, and at the present day, we daily witness the evidences of a belief in superstitions quite as absurd. Incidents might be given, and details related, of the ritual observed by these midnight seekers for subterranean gold, but the narratives would be unprofitable, and can not be too soon forgotten.

In 1828, there again occurred a sickness that was remarkable for its fatality, more especially in the vicinity of the lake, where scarcely a single person escaped an attack. It continued through the summer months, which were remarkable for their intense heat, with copious showers, alternating with clear sky and hot sun. The lake was very high, and the marshes were flowed. The disease assumed the type of a malignant typhoid fever, and was very general, extending along the entire frontier, being especially severe in the vicinity of marshes and standing water. In the western part of the state, this year was distinguished by the prevalence of intermittent and other fevers.

Ellis Village (Ellisburg P. O.), is situated mostly on the north bank of the south branch of Big Sandy Creek, about four miles from its mouth. It is the oldest village in the town, and contained, in August 1853, four stores, two inns, two flouring mills, one plaster mill, one chair shop, one tannery, one saw mill, one shingle factory, two carriage shops, four blacksmith shops, and about sixty families. Four physicians resided in the place, and the village contained churches of the Methodist and Universalist orders. It is distant from Belleville three miles; Mannsville four miles; Pierrepont Manor three miles; and Woodville two and a half miles.

Belleville, on the north bank of North Sandy Creek, three miles above Woodville, and by rail road, five from Pierrepont Manor, began as a farming settlement, by Metcalf Lee, Bradly Freeman, Joshua Freeman, Martin Barney, James, Benjamin, and Jedediah McCumber, and a few others about 1802-3. Elder Littlefield soon after purchased, and the place, being favorably situated for mills, gradually grew to a village. Soon after the war, at the suggestion of Calvin Clark, a merchant, a meeting was called to select the present, which is said to have been taken from Belleville in Canada. Before this it had been known as Hall’s Mills, from Giles Hall, who in 1806, purchased of J. McCumber a hydraulic privilege here, and who has ever since resided in this place. The first merchant was Laban Brown; John Hawn was the first innkeeper.

This place has, within the last year, been brought in communication with markets, by completion of the Sackets Harbor and Ellisburgh Rail Road, which has given a new impulse to its growth. It is the centre of a highly cultivated district, and one that has taken great interest in agriculture as a practical science. The Ellisburgh Agricultural Society, of which an account will be given, has recently fitted up a fair ground adjacent to the village; and in no town in this county has so much emulation been evinced in agricultural pursuits as in this. The village of Belleville contains a Presbyterian, a Baptist, and a Methodist church, and is the seat of the Union Literary Society, an academic institution, whose history and condition will be given in a future chapter. It is three miles from Ellis Village, two and a half from Woodville, six from Smithville, six from Henderson, five from Adams, and five from Pierrepont Manor.

Rural Hill Post Office, a small settlement two miles west from Belleville, was formerly called Buck Hill, has two stores, one tavern, and a few dwellings.

Woodville, a small village on North Sandy Creek about three miles from its mouth, formerly Wood’s Settlement, was settled by Ebenezer, Ephraim, and Jacob Wood, sons of Nathaniel Wood, of Middletown, Vt., who came in to look for lands with Orimal Brewster, Simeon Titus, Ephraim Wood, Jr., and Hezekiah Leffingwell, in the fall of 1803. Messrs. E. & E. Wood purchased May 26, 1804, for $2,294.80, a tract of 754 acres, and in March, Ephraim Wood, with a daughter and three sons, came in to reside, his brother Ebenezer remaining to settle the estate. Rev. Nathaniel Wood, their father, an old man, came on in June, 1804. Obadiah Kingsbury, Oliver Scott, and others, came the same year. A small mill was built, and in 1805, got in operation. In 1805 Ebenezer Wood, Nathaniel Wood, Jr.,* (*Reuben Wood, late governor of Ohio, and now in Valparizo, is a son of Nathaniel Wood.) Moseley Wood, Samuel Truesdale, and families, came in, and several young men. A field of corn plated by the Woods, on the marsh, as late as June 7, produced an immense yield, which greatly raised the reputation of the settlement, and the hopes of the settlers.

Woodville, in August, 1853, contained a store, two saw mills, grist mill; two churches (Baptist and Congregational), a paper mill (built by Messrs. Clark, about seven years since), the usual variety of mechanics, and about thirty families.

In 1802, Joseph Allen, with Pardon Earl† (†Mr. Earl died here January 9, 1844, aged 62) and Arnold Earl, from Galway, N. Y., came in by way of Redfield, to Adams, and thence worked their way through the forest to Bear Creek, and settled on the site of the present village of Pierrepont Manor. William Tabor, William Case, two or three families by the name of Simmons, and a few others settled for farming purposes soon after. Allen opened the first inn, and Oliver Snow the first store. Mr. P. Earl, after 1807, became a local land agent, and a man of extensive business, and in 1822 the agency of the estates derived by H. B. Pierrepont from William Constable, lying in Jefferson and Oswego counties, was assumed by William C. Pierrepont, his elder son, who has since resided here, and acquired the title of these lands. The village has at present an inn, two stores, a number of mechanics, and between thirty and forty dwellings. It is by plank road five miles from Adams village, two from Mannsville, and thirteen from Pulaski. The W. & R. Rail Road, has a station and eating house at this place, and it here joins the Sackets Harbor and Ellisburgh Rail Road. Few village will compare with this, for the neat and quiet aspect which it presents. It is situated on the level of the lake ridge, and commands a distant prospect of the lake.

A melancholy accident occurred near this place, on the evening of May 6, 1852, by an engine, while running backwards, coming in contact with a hand car containing a party of young ladies and gentlemen, by which three of the former were killed, and one severely injured. The hand car was taken contrary to explicit orders of the company by employees, who were at once discharged. No blame was attached to any one, except those who had allowed the hand car to be placed upon the track.

Mannsville, on Mannsville, or Skinner Creek, two miles south of Pierrepont Manor, and on the line of the W. & R. R. R., began to be settled by David I. Andrus, as agent for Samuel Wardwell of Rhode Island, who had made extensive purchase here and elsewhere in town. The improvement by Andrus was slight, and the place only began to increase in 1822, when Daniel Wardwell came on and took charge of the purchase made several years previous by his father, and in 1823 he began the erection of a cotton factory, having for its dimensions forty by fifty feet, and three stories high, which stood a short distance below the present village, and was fitted for 600 spindles. Soon after, Major H. B. Mann purchased half of the factory, which had been two or three years in operation, when it was burned February 16, 1827. The loss was estimated at $10,000.

The present name was adopted on the formation of a post office. In August, 1853, it contained five stores, one hotel, two harness shops, four black smith shops, two carriage shops, one tin shop, two tanneries, one grist mill, one saw mill, three shoe shops, a church and about fifty dwellings. It is on the Adams and Ellisburgh Plank Road, formerly a stage road.

The lake shore in this town is nearly a straight line, and is bordered by a low ridge of sand hills, scantily covered with threes at a few points, but mostly composed of drifting sands. Behind this is a large marsh that extends several miles each way from Sandy Creek, in which are open ponds. These marshes are without timber, are covered with sedges, aquatic plants, and wild rive, and when the lake is low, a considerable portion of them may be mowed, but in high water they are mostly flowed. A large part of the marsh remains unsold, and is used as a kind of common. Where capable of tillage it is found very production.

The lake shore has been the scene of many wrecks, since the country was settled, the first within the memory of those living having occurred in the fall of 1800, when a small schooner from Mexico, to Gananoqui, Capt. Gammon, master, was lost off Little Stony Creek, and all one board perished. A boat of eight men, that was sent in search of the vessel, was also swamped, and all hands were drowned.

About 1807, a family was located by Benjamin Wright, at the mouth of Sandy Creek, to afford aid to shipwrecked persons, and since that period this lonely dwelling has sheltered many a suffering sailor, who might otherwise have perished. Within the memory of the present tenant, who has occupied the premises thirty years, the following vessels have been wrecked on this coast, and several near the house: Atlas, Asp, Huron, Ann Fame of Genessee, Two Sisters, Victory, Hornet, Three Brothers, Medora, Burlington, Caroline, Henry Clay, Neptune, Napoleon, White Cloud, and several others, names not known, of many of which the entire crews were lost, and of others a part were saved. These are but a part of the whole number that have been lost here, and the subject of establishing a light, or at least one or more life boats, with the necessary apparatus, on the beach, for use in case of shipwrecks, commends itself strongly to the charities of the humane, and the attention of government.

In 1829 a survey of the mouth of Sandy Creek was made, by order of the general government, with the view of improving it for a harbor. The estimated cost of the work was $36,000, but nothing was ever done towards effecting this. The completion of the railroad has diminished the amount of commerce at this place, which was always small. A warehouse had been erected at the head of navigation, on each branch of the creek, but these are little used at present. Sandy Creek is a lawful port.

The fisheries in Mexico bay, and in front of this town, have within a few years assumed much importance, and recently gill nets have been introduced and used, at great distances from the shore in deep water. It was found that the placing of these before the mouth of streams injured the fisheries, and the subject was made a matter of complaint to the board of supervisors at their session in 1862, who passed an act by which it was forbidden to place seines or nets across, or in the waters of Skinner Creek, and the north and south branches of Big Sandy in Ellisburg, or within 80 rods of the mouth of either, under a penalty of $50.

The Ellisburgh Union Library was formed February 16, 1813, Caleb Ellis, Brooks Harrington, Oliver Scott, Shubeal Lyman and Isaac Burr, were elected the first trustees. Like most others of the class, this has been abandoned.

Religious Societies. -- The Baptists were the to effect an organization in town. Before the formation of the present church of this order at Belleville, a few person had gathered by Elders Colwell and Littlefield, and adopted a covenant and articles of faith, with which Elder L. and some others were dissatisfied, and which a council of brethren from neighboring churches decided to be contrary to the faith of the Baptists church. They were accordingly disbanded, and Elder L. having died, there was for some time no ministry of this order. About 1807, Joshua Freeman, then a young man, and one who has since been prominently connected with churches of this order in the county, feeling that something should be done towards reviving a church, with another young man, named Amos Noyes, commenced holding meetings at Belleville. In this they had the cordial sympathies and aid of many, among others of Deacon Edward Barney. The previous covenant was modified to suit their view of gospel truth, and signed by eleven persons, who were soon joined by others, and August 22, 1807, a council called for the purpose, gave them the right hand of fellowship as a regular Baptist church. They enjoyed only occasional preaching till 1810, when Martin E. Cook, a licentiate, was called to the care of the church. He was afterwards ordained, and (with an interval of two years, in which Elder Bradley was employed) continued to labor in the ministry, with great acceptance, during twenty-four years. Since then the following ministers have served as pastors at different periods: Daniel D. Reed, Abner Webb, Joel H. Green, A. Webb (2d time), John F. Bishop, and the present pastor, David McFarland. The present number of the church is 260. Several seasons of religious awakening have occurred in this church, and many have gone out from them to the labor of the ministry. No serious divisions have occurred, and its history presents a scene of almost continual prosperity.* (*From materials kindly furnished by W. L. Cook, the present clerk.)

In 1819, a union meeting house was erected at Belleville, costing about $3,300, but the society never perfected its organizations, which led to litigation. In March, 1829, the building was burned. A Baptist society had been formed December 4, 1821, with Matthew Green, Renjamin (sic) Barney and John Barney, 2d, trustees. In 1831 the present Baptist Church at this place was built, at a cost of about $2,400.

The Baptist society of Woodville, was formed Jan. 27, 1835, with Ebenezer Wood, Oliver Scott, Amaziah Fillmore, Pedro Scott, Wm. Ellsworth and Abijah Jenkins, trustees. The church was formed by the Rev. Asa Averill, since whom Peleg Card, ________ Buckley, W. B. Downer, L. Rice and others have been employed. The society has a house of worship. The Baptist church of Mannsville was formed about 1831, by the union of one in Lorraine, and one in the west part of the town. The latter, styled the 2d Baptized Church of Ellisburgh, was formed Oct. 8-13, 1817, under Elder Timothy Brewster, assisted by Elders Emery Osgood, of Henderson, Matthew Wilkie, of Wilna, Martin E. Cook, of Ellisburgh, and Elisha Morgan of Rutland. In 1833, this sect with the Congregationalists, erected their present place of worship at a cost of $1600.

The First Congregational Church of Ellisburgh, was formed by David W. Dixon, and Oliver Leavitt, Jan. 1, 1817, of six members. The Rev. J. A. Clayton was employed soon after, and was the only settled pastor. He was installed Nov. 9, 1826. He had several successors. On the 11th of Nov. 1823, a society was formed, of which the trustees were Amos Hudson, Hiram Taylor, Daniel Wardwell, John Otis, Wm. T. Fisk, and Wm. Cole. A church edifice was erected, but the organization became reduced, and was finally given up in the summer of 1844, having numbered 143 members. The church has been for some time private property, and in 1843 was taken down.

The Congregational Church of Woodville was formed Nov. 52 (sic), and a society Dec. 14, 1836, of which Ebenezer Wood, Oliver Batchelor, and Wm. Gray were trustees. A union house had been erected and partly finished, previously; in 1837 it was taken down and a brick church erected, at a cost of about $1,100. Rev. Chas. B. Pond became the first pastor, and was installed Jan. 23, 1840. In 4 years Elisha P. Cook succeeded, since whom David Powell, J. Burchard, Frederick Hebard, and ___ Smith have been employed, of whom Mr. Hebard was installed pastor.

The Second Congregational Church and society of Ellisburgh was reorganized at Mannsville, Aug. 18, 1834, with Roswell Keeney, Benjamin P. Grenell, and Daniel Wardwell, trustees. The early records of this church have been burnt; they own an interest in the meeting house at Mannsville.

The First Presbyterian Society in the town of Ellisburgh was formed Aug. 28, 1820, and elected Nathan Barden, Isaac Burr, Wm. T. Fish, Amos Hudson, Liberty Bates, and Royce March, trustees. In 1830 it was reorganize and the same year erected in Belleville, a meeting house, at a cost of about $500. A church organization was formed at the house of Nathan Barden, Dec. 18, 1829, by the Rev. Jedediah Burchard, of five males and six females, and on the 11th of Feb. 1830, it united with the Watertown Presbytery. The successors of Mr. Burchard have been _____ Spencer, J. Burchard, (2nd time), O. Parker, C. B. Pond, C. W. Baker, S. Cole, J. A. Canfield, Ingersoll, J. Carlisle, and at present J. Burchard. The society is now erecting a new church edifice at a cost, besides the lot, of about $2,800.

The Universalist Church of Ellisburgh was formed Aug. 26, 1821, with 19 member; the present number is 50. The persons chiefly instrumental in forming it, were Isaac Mendall, Silas Emerson, John Clark, and Rev. Cornelius G. Persons. The clergy have been C. G. Persons, Chas. B. Brown, Oliver Wilcox, Luther Rice, Pitt Morse, and Alfred Peck. The society was formed Sept. 2, 1833, with J. Mendall, Edmund M. Eldridge, Daniel Stearns, Edmund Palmer, and Richard Cheever, trustees. A Church was erected at Ellis Village in 1843, at a cost of $1,500.

Zion Church (Episcopal), at Pierrepont Manor, was legally organized Jan. 4, 1836; Amos C. Treadway being at the time rector. William C. Pierrepont, and Thomas Warren were chosen church wardens, and Thomas Blenking, Jr., Cornelius M. Taber, Jason Marsh, Harvey Allen, Pardon Earl, Thomas E. Williamson, Robert Myerick, and John Allen were elected vestrymen. A church had been erected the summer previous by Mr. Pierrepont, at a cost of $3,000, which was consecrated Aug. 16, 1836. The rectors have been the Rev. Messrs.. A. C. Treadway, Nathaniel Watkins, Josiah E. Bartlet, and E. C. Ellsworth.

The Methodist Episcopal Society in Ellisburgh Village was formed March 5, 1832, with Oliver N. Snow, Benj. Chamberlin, Lyman Ellis, Jeremiah Lewis, and Hiram Mosley, trustees. In 1833 they built a church, which in 1850 was removed, repaired, and a steeple added. In 1836 a parsonage was built.

The First Episcopal Methodist Church and Society in Belleville was formed May 5, 1841, having Edward Boomer, Elias Dickinson, Thomas Ellis, Edward B. Hawes, Jesse Hubbard, Riley Chamberlain, Hall W. Baxter, Nelson Boomer, and John R. Hawes, trustees. They have a house of worship, and have been twice reorganized.

Return to Clickable Jefferson County Map & Index to Hough's Town Histories

Return to Shirley Farone's Homepage