St. John's German Reformed Church
Was organized June 25, 1870, with
seventy-three members, among whom were David, Susan, Simon, Philip F., R. W.,
Joseph, Michael, Peter, Obediah, Frederick and Jacob J. BARNHART; Margaret and
Susanna SKAKELEY; John, Elizabeth, Jacob, Rosanna, Jemima, Rachel and Samuel
HEMPHILL; Christopher, Adam, Margaret, Samuel and Catherine STEWART; John and
Catherine EBERHART, Lavina SEIBERT, Isaac and Elizabeth HEPLER, Isaac KEPPEL, D.
BISH, Abram HENSHEW, J. L. BYERS, John THORN, Catherine MOCK, Michael MYERS and
Charles WARNER. The first pastor, Rev. A. DALE, remained until 1875, though he
was only supply from the fall of 1874, when he accepted a call from the Fairview
Reformed society. Rev. J. W. ALSPACH was here from January, 1875, to 1886; Rev.
H. H. SANDOE from 1887 to May, 1888, and Rev. H. S. GARNER, from October 1,
1888, to the present time. The corner stone of the church was laid August 7,
1869, and the house was dedicated June 26, 1870. The society, though now
composed of 112 members, is served by the pastor of the Fairview church. Prior
to 1879 it was served from Sugar creek or Fairview.