Aveton Gifford

Aveton Gifford

Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.

Transcribed by Jack STEER

Checked by Val HENDERSON


Pages 802-803

  AVETON-GIFFORD (commonly call AWTON-GIFFORD) is a village and parish in Kingsbridge union, containing, by the census of 1861, 839 inhabitants, and 3182 acres; in the deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Ermington, East Devonshire; 3 ½ miles north-west from Kingsbridge, on the banks of the river Avon. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Parr Pitman, M.A., is valued at £667 per annum with residence and 97A. 1R. 38P. of glebe land. The church is a fine ancient Cruciform edifice, in the Perpendicular style, dedicated to St Andrew, with tower containing six bells. It has been thoroughly restored, at an expense of £2,003, and re-opened for divine service in October, 1869. The Baptists, Bible Christians, and Wesleyans have places of worship here. There is a National School for children of both sexes, with house for the master, which was erected in 1857. B.P. Baston, Esq., is lord of the manor, the lords of which formerly had the power to inflict capital punishment.

  The river Avon, which is here crossed by a bridge, abounds in salmon and trout, and at the hatch is a salmon weir, the property of Peter Stanley Lowe Esq., of Churchstowe. Three brooks, which form feeders of the river can be crossed at low tide, at a place called "The Stakes", which gives a shorter route to Bigbury. There are some small charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor.

ASHFORD, HARRATON, LIXTON, and STADBURY are hamlets forming part and parcel of this parish.


Clergy and Gentry.

BEST Mrs. Sarah

BEST Mr. Trevosso, South Efford

COLES Mr. William, Grove Park House

PEARSE John Alfred Esq., Chantry

PITMAN Rev. William Parr, M.A., The Rectory

PROWSE Mr George, Walnut Cottage


Trades and Professions.

ADAMS James, farmer, Stadbury

ANTONY Richard, farmer, Lixton

BAKER John, miller, Ashford

BEER Elias, butcher

BROWN Edward, "Church House"

CHUBB Edward, tailor

COWLES Charles, farmer and maltster, Heathfield

DAMARELL Henry, blacksmith

EDWARDS James, farmer, Wizaller

ELLIOTT Thomas Lakeman, yeoman, Babland

ELLIS John, miller, Marsh Mill

FARLEY Henry, "King's Head"

GARLAND Edward, farmer, Stockadon

GARLAND Lewis, farmer, Fishley

HANNAFORD John, mason

HARDING John, farmer, Wizaller

HARRIS William, wheelwright

HODDER John, farmer, Harraton

HOLMAN Thos. Gill, grocer and sub postmaster

HUXHAM George farmer, Heathfield

KERSWELL William, farmer, Bawn

LUCKRAFT Joseph, carpenter

MATTHEWS John, butcher

MOOR William, farmer, Waterhead

MORGAN Peter, blacksmith


PARKER Edward, "Kings Arms"

PEARCE James, farmer, Barton Court

PEARCE William, shopkeeper

RHYMES William, blacksmith, Ashford

ROGERS Christopher, mason

ROLLE William, "Harraton" Inn

SANDOVER William, carpenter

STEAR William Henry, veterinary surgeon

STEER John, mason

TARRING William, coaldealer

TAYLOR William Edward, farmer, Efford

TOMS Joseph, parish clerk

TOMS Mrs. Margaret shopkeeper

TOMS William, tailor

TORRING James, farmer, Ashford

TUCKERMAN John, "Bridge" Inn

WIDDICOMBE Samuel, miller, Town mill

WILLCOCKS George, farmer

WILLCOCKS George, timber merchant

WILLCOCKS John, carpenter and wheelwright

WILLS George, farmer, Stadbury

WOODMASON John, farmer

YABSLEY Josias, farmer, Ashford

YABSLEY Richard, farmer, Bennett

YABSLEY William, boot and shoemaker



Post Office - Thomas Gill Holman, sub-postmaster. Letters from Kingsbridge arrive at 9.40 a.m.; dispatched to Ivybridge at 3.40 p.m.; to Kingsbridge at 4.45 p.m. Kingsbridge is the nearest money order office.


National School - William Tregare, master


Coaches to Kingsbridge, Plymouth and Modbury pass through daily.









Page Update 11/10/01