5 MARCH 1841

EMIGRATION TO CENTRAL AMERICA, Eastern coast of Central America, Commercial and Agricultural Company. Capital £200,000, in Debentures of £20 each; the first series bearing interest at four per cent., payable half-yearly. Directors, P.H. ABBOTT, Esq., Capt. P.D. BINGHAM, R.N., Charles BOURJOT, Esq., John DAWSON, Esq., William HOOD, Esq., Adam MURRAY, Esq., David POLLOCK, Esq. Q.C., John SPURGIN, Esq. M.D. With power to add to their number. Secretary – PHILIP D. SOUPER, Esq. Cashier and Accountant - L.S. COXE, Esq. Superintendent - Young ANDERSON, Esq. Bankers – Messrs. GLYN, HALIFAX MILLS, and Co. This Company has obtained a grant from the Government of the Federal States of Central America of 15,000,000 acres of virgin lands in that country, which lies between the 15th and 19th degrees of north latitude, and 88 and 92 degrees west longitude. The grant includes the magnificent sea-port of Santo Tomas and several navigable rivers, the most important of which are the Polochio, the Montagua, and the Usumasinta, of which the Company has the exclusive right of steam navigation. The first settlement is called Abbotsville, and is situate about 100 miles up the river Polochio. The climate is good and genial, and the country presents an alternation of mountain and plain, affording a choice of temperature. It abounds in minerals, many of which are of the most precious description; and by the Law of the Federal States, any one denouncing a mine becomes the proprietor thereof. The soil is rich to a degree unknown in Europe, and produces (among other things) mahogany dyewood, Santa Maria wood, and many others of great value; indigo, chineal, sarsaparilla, tobacco, cocoa, coffee, cotton, sugar, rice, vanilla, Indian corn, balsams, game and drugs; likewise wheat barley, pulse, and all culinary vegetables. Horned cattle, horses, mules, sheep, poultry, game and fish are abundant and cheap; and fruits in great variety and plenty. The terms of the grant secure to the settlers the right of governing themselves by the election, from among their own number, of municipal bodies. Trial by jury and religious toleration are likewise secured to them. They are authorized to embody themselves as a militia for self defence and to have a police under the orders of their own magistrates for domestic protection. They are not subject to any taxes or contributions, except such as shall be established by themselves. There are no game or tithe laws, nor any burdensome enactments whatever. They have, in fact, a country to themselves, to be regulated by their own municipal institutions.

The voyage occupies from six to eight weeks. At the mouth of the river they will be met by the Company's steamer, and conveyed to the settlements, where they will receive every attention from the Company's Superintendent, Mr. Young ANDERSON, who will give them proper advice as to the choice of location and the first steps to be taken, and will assist them in procuring labourers. The ship "St. Lawrence," (HUGGUP, master,) has just been despatched with a party, consisting of the Company's Superintendent (on his return to the settlements, after a visit to this country), The Rev. Mr. KRAUSE and family, a surveyor, a few purchasers of lands, and a party of English and German mechanics with their families.

A man and his wife will be conveyed by the Company to the settlement, provisioned on board, and put in possession of 40 acres of freehold land (with an indisputable title), for the moderate sum of £20; or persons in a more elevated sphere can purchase of the Company any quantity of land at 5s. per acre, and may have a cabin passage for £25. To purchasers of land, land orders will be issued, which will entitle the holders, on the presentation of them by themselves or their agents to the Company's superintendent, to choice of location, according to their numerical order; and having fixed upon a site, the Company's Surveyor will forthwith run the lines, free of charge to the settler. These land orders will be transferable at the pleasure of the holders, and a registry will be kept at the Company's Office, in London, and in the settlement, as well of original land orders as of transfers thereof. The expense of reaching the port of embarkation must be borne by the emigrants. Detailed accounts of the country, a copy of the grant, maps, and all other particulars, can be had upon application to the Secretary, at 60, Moorgate-street, Bank, London; or to the following Agents in the country, viz.: Agents for Cornwall. St. Agnes, Mr. Joseph VIVIAN. Redruth, Mr. W. WADE, jun. St Ives, Mr. J. YOUNG. Falmouth, Messrs. W. and E.C. CARNE. Helston, Wm. PENALANA(?)

SEMINARY FOR YOUNG LADIES. Race Hill Cottage, Launceston. Mrs. MADDOX continues to receive under her care a limited number of pupils, who are carefully instructed in sound religious principles, together with a social and accomplished education. Terms per annum. Board and Tuition, in the English and French Languages, including Geography, History, Writing, Arithmetic, and Needlework, for pupils about ten years of age, £18. Pupils under ten years of age, £16. Weekly Boarders, £14. Drawing, £2. Use of the Globes, £1. Music, £6. 6s. 0d. Washing, £2. Mrs. M. educates Young Gentlemen under eight years of age.

Race Hill Cottage is pleasantly situated on the Old Tavistock Road, and commands a very extensive and picturesque view of the surrounding country; the air is highly salubrious, and the situation calculated to promote the health and exhilarate the spirits of the pupils. Each Boarder is expected to bring six towels, a pair of sheets, and a spoon, which will be returned when the pupil leaves school. Writing and Arithmetic by a Master. References may be made to J.K. LETHBRIDGE, Esq., Tregeare; Rev. G.B. GIBBONS, Launceston; Rev. R.S. STEVENS, Southpetherwin; Rev. H.A. SIMCOE, Penbeale; Rev. T. KINGDON, Pyworthy; and the Rev. T. GIBBONS, Tavistock.

PASSAGE TO THE UNITED STATES. The fine fast sailing barque "Royal Adelaide," 650 tons burthen, is intended to leave Falmouth for New York, on Tuesday, the 23rd day of March next. The vessel is well known to be admirably adapted for the conveyance of passengers, and offers an excellent opportunity to persons desirous of emigrating to any of the States, or other parts of North America. For terms and other particulars apply to Mr. Joseph VIVIAN, Roseworthy, near Camborne. Dated, February 10, 1841. An early application will be necessary.

LOSS OF THE "KENT". On the occasion of the rescue of the crew of this vessel, a medal was struck in honor of the gallant men who saved them, the die of which has been ledged in Pendennis Castle. Fearful that sufficient care will not be taken of it there, the committee of the Polytechnic Society have applied to the government to have it placed in their keeping.

ST TUDY. Mr. and Mrs. SARELL have just left Hengar, in this parish, for their seat at Enfield, near London, to the great regret of the poor of the neighbourhood, many of whom, during the winter, have been fed and clothed by their bounty.

ST. DENNIS PLOUGHING MATCH. On Tuesday, the 23rd ult., a ploughing match took place at St. Dennis, when 13 ploughs contended for the prizes, which were ultimately awarded as follows: First, £1, Edward PEARCE, Lanjeth, St. Stephens; second, 10s., John RICHARDS, St. Columb; third, 5s., -- BROKENSHAW, St. Columb. Boys under 18: First, 10s. John VARCOE, St. Dennis; second, 7s. 6d., --GRIGG, St. Columb; third, 5s., Richard GRIGG, St. Dennis. The umpires were Messrs. R. VERCOE, of Roche; --SWEET, of Withiel; and M. THOMAS, of St. Wenn; and the whole of the proceedings passed off very agreeably.

TRURO POLICE. On Friday last, Susan JENKINS was committed for three months' hard labour, for indecent conduct in the streets. On Monday last, Frances MARTIN was committed for a similar offence for one month. On Tuesday last, John Knight, butcher, was fined 10s. and costs for emptying a slaughter-house in the day time, being contrary to the act. On Thursday, Jane WILLIAMS was committed for one month's hard labour, for indecent conduct in the streets.

FIRES. On Tuesday, the 23rd ult., a fire broke out on the premises of Mr. Francis HOLMAN, innkeeper, St. Erth Church-town, but the devouring element was prevented from extending to the dwelling house, though it was not extinguished until the whole of a large brew-house, and some articles of furniture, were destroyed. On Saturday last, a fire broke out in a farm place, in the village of Sturt, in the parish of St. Erth, but it was quickly subdued by water, after having consumed a furnace house.

NARROW ESCAPE. On Wednesday, the 24th ultimo, a young man, named WILLIAMS, who was at work at Levant Mine, cleaning the flues of one of the steam-engines, had placed a large quantity of hemp about his head and neck, to prevent the dust from annoying him; when, as he was proceeding with a lighted candle the hemp took fire, and he was nearly suffocated before he could get out of the flue. The poor fellow is dreadfully scalded.

DEATH FROM INTOXICATION. On Tuesday evening the 24th ult., Mr. T. R. BREWER, farmer of Padstow, who had been drinking with some friends at the Golden Lion Inn, left the house about half-past eleven o'clock, in a state of intoxication, and was met in the street a little before twelve by a person who led him to his own door, where he left him, supposing he went into his house. In the morning, however, he was missed; and search having been made for him at his farm, near the town, one of his shoes was found, which excited apprehensions for his safety. These apprehensions turned out to be but too well founded, for, in the afternoon, the crew of a smack coming into the harbour, saw his body floating on the water, about a quarter of a mile outside of Stepper point; and the pilot took it up and brought it ashore. On examination, some cuts were found on the head and hands, one of the ancles was dislocated, and there were some bruises on the body, which led to a suspicion that the unfortunate man had been murdered and thrown over the cliff, by two tinkers, who slept in his mowhay the night before; but on Friday, a coroner's inquest was held, when it was found that none of the wounds was sufficient to cause death, and a verdict of found drowned was returned. The tinkers have since been apprehended at Bissick, but the proved in a satisfactory manner that they slept in a barn in St. Merryn on Tuesday night, and were consequently discharged. It is now supposed that he went to his farm after the person who led him home had left him, and being intoxicated, lost his way, and fell over the cliff. (Either the spelling of ancles is correct for 1841 or a misspelling by W.B.)

MELANCHOLY DEATH. On Saturday afternoon last, the body of a boy, about 16 years of age, son of a sawyer, of the name of CHAMBERLAIN, living in Frances-street, Truro, was discovered lying on his face in the upper leat, near Mr. W.H. VICE'S garden, and the water, which is only about a foot in depth, flowing over him. The body was taken out of the water immediately and carried home; but Mr. TRURAN, surgeon, who was in attendance in a few minutes, pronounced life to be extinct; and in this opinion Mr. SPRY, surgeon, who had also been sent for, concurred, though the body could not have been in the water more than about a quarter of an hour. It appears that the poor boy had been sent for a pitcher of water, and being seized with a fit, to which he was subject, had fallen into the leat.

CORONER'S INQUESTS. The following inquests have been held during the past week: On Friday last, at St. Mawes, before J. CARLYON Esq., on the body of Francis SCORBORYO(?), a lad about 15 years of age, who came by his death under the following circumstances. From the evidence of William COLLINS, of St. Mawes, it appeared that as he (witness) was returning to St. Mawes in his boat on Thursday morning last, he observed about half way between St. Mawes and St. Anthony, the mast of a boat showing just above the water. The sail was still standing, and on taking hold of the haulyards, and giving them a shake, a small parcel containing books, and addressed to Mr. VINCENT, pilot, St. Mawes, rose to the surface. This led to the discovery that the boat belonged to a poor man at St. Mawes, called William WATTS, who for several years past had been in the habit of attending Truro market with oysters for sale. On Wednesday, the 24th ult., he and the deceased were returning from Truro, after having sold their oysters, with about 12 cwt. of iron, and about three cwt of soap and other articles in the boat, when, by some means or other, she filled and sunk. There was scarcely any wind blowing at the time, and it is supposed that poor Watts must have run his boat foul of a schooner which was lying at anchor near where she sunk, and that the collision sunk her, she being heavily laden at the time. The body of deceased was picked up from under a part of the cargo the following day, but the body of Watts has not yet been found. Verdict, found drowned.

On the following day, in Gwennap parish, on the body of Abraham HARRIS, miner. It appeared that on the preceding Wednesday, the deceased was employed in wheeling some broken ores from one part of the 146 fathom level, in Rogers's shaft, at Tresavean mine, to another, and in doing so he had to pass over a couple of planks laid across a pit made by some former workings. On one of these occasions, he accidentally fell into the pit, and was so seriously injured by the fall (about nine fathoms) that he died the following day. Verdict, accidental death.

On the same day, at Truro, on the body o William CHAMBERLAIN, whose death we have noticed in another paragraph. Verdict, found drowned.

On Saturday last, by W. HICHENS, Esq., at Wendron, on the body of Wm. OLIVER, who on the Tuesday preceding, whilst at his labour in Wheal Lovell Mine, and employed in rolling some stuff over a shaft, accidentally fell from the 34 to the 64 fathoms level, and received such injury in his head that he died on the Thursday following. Verdict, accidental death.

On Monday, by the same coroner, at St. Just in Penwith, on the body of a man washed on shore at Penbeen Cove. The body was greatly mutilated, and it had no clothing on, except a pair of trousers, apparently a gray mixture, with a raised seam, and part of a shirt collar of red gingham. Verdict, found drowned. This is supposed to have been one of the passengers of the "Thomas" steamer, lately wrecked at Scilly.

On Tuesday last, by Joseph HAMLEY, Esquire, at the village of Tremagana, near Camelford, on the body of William BUDGE, a carpenter, aged 74, who fell down on the road on his way to the town, on Saturday evening. He was taken into a cottage, and immediately expired. Verdict, died by the visitation of God.

THE NEW SHERIFF. We stated last week that John Hornbrook GILL, Esq., of Bickham, in the county of Devon, had been nominated High Sheriff for this county, for the year ensuing; and we are now enabled to announce that the appointment of that gentleman to the high office has taken place. Philip Moysey LITTLE, Esq., of Devonport, has been appointed to the office of undersheriff, and Bernard ANSTIS, Esq., of Liskeard, to that of county clerk.

NOTICE. Is hereby given, that I will not be answerable for any debts that Mary RICHARDS, of Chacewater, may contract. William Richards. Dated, March 4, 1841.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA. To the Editor of the West Briton, Truro, Feb. 27, 1841. Sir, In your paper of yesterday, there appeared a letter respecting this colony from Mr. James SAWLE, a mason, formerly of Truro, who was sent out under my agency in the autumn of 1839. In that letter, the writer, among many other things, warns the public that the statements put forward by the agents at home are not true, and leads his readers to suppose that the most unfair means have been resorted to by the agents in order to induce people to leave their native country. As such has never been my practice, and as I have never written or published a line about the colony of South Australia which I have not believed to be strictly correct, I feel little disposed to allow any stigma to attach to my character upon the representations of Mr. Sawle; and it is with a view to clear myself of so dishonourable and so unfeeling a course of conduct, as well as to remove some aspersions which have been most unjustly cast upon the colony of South Australia, that I now claim your indulgence, while I lay before your readers opposite evidence of the most incontrovertible nature, from persons standing as high in the opinions of those who knew them as ever Mr. Sawle did.

On reading over Mr. Sawle's letter again, I cannot help remarking the extremely disingenuous manner in which he has spoken of every-thing that he has touched upon. We all know that most things have their dark as well as their bright side. He had chosen to select, on this occasion, only the dark; and in many cases he has, by his "perhapses," his "probablies," and his "maybes," led people to an opposite conclusion to what the facts of the case, if fairly stated, must inevitably have led them. Is not such a course the worst king of falsehood, because the least easy to be detected and refuted? He has, for instance, spoken of ill-treatment on board the emigrant ships, as if it were common, merely because the people on board the "Java" were not well used, and when he knew that immediately that ship reached the colony, the principal surgeon was cashiered without receiving any remuneration, that the captain was also dealt with in a proper manner by the resident commissioner, and that, on the other hand, every thing was done that could be done to compensate the emigrants for the sufferings they had experienced from the heartlessness of a grasping captain and a selfish surgeon. With respect to his own ship, the "Warrior," Mr. Sawle, in his first letter to Mr. CROCKER, of Truro, spoke favourable, as I believe, (for I cannot now obtain his letter); and his son-in-law, Mr. S. HALL, who accompanied him, wrote several letters to his parents, while on the voyage; and in these letters, which are now before me, there does not appear a single word of complaint! Would not any one have believed, from a casual reading of Mr. Sawle's last letter, that the disasters, the robberies of provisions, the deprivation of comforts, had all happened to him?

Mr. Hall, in his third letter, dated April 30, 1840, says, "After a very long and tedious voyage, we landed at Holdfast Bay, distant about six miles from Adelaide, on Monday last. We sent on our luggage on the carts provided by Government to Emigration-square with the women. I walked myself in company with two more, and was much pleased with the appearance of the country generally. It has the look of park-land, as you seen mentioned in the accounts of the country. The town appears to be in a thriving condition, and carpenters and bricklayers are much in request, they make £4. 10s. a week wages! Mr. Sawle was engaged at once, and will no doubt do well; and indeed all, excepting myself, are engaged. I hope, however, to be able to do something shortly, either in my trade or some other way. I have no doubt that John and Erastus (two brothers) if they come will do capitally. Mary Sawle (a daughter) is going to have £10 or £12 a year at once, and more if she likes the place. I cannot advise any to come, as the difficulties to be battled with are great; yet I should like to see you all here."

Not a word is there in any one of these letters of Mr. Hall's to bear out the dissatisfied tone of Sawle's communication. Not a word about bad provisions, or a scarcity; not a word about the horrible mode of burial adopted on board ships (but which has been adopted from time immemorial, and before emigration was heard of,) or about the rapid deaths of people in the colony, although it is to be believed that they will died there as they do elsewhere; not a word about the wretched accommodations, or no accommodations, in Emigration-square, or of their being obliged to sit on boxes all the night in filthy rooms, with the stinking clothes of dead people covering the floors, and without light, fire, or food – the prey of fleas, and the entertains of mice! No, indeed; all these are after-thoughts of Mr. Sawle, who has carried that dissatisfaction, for which he was unfortunately so notorious, from his native county to the distant shores of South Australia. All this has sprung up since he wrote his first letter to Mr. CROCKER, in which he spoke satisfactorily of the colony which he now condemns.

Mr. Carleton TUFNELL, one of the Assistant Poor Law Commissioners, in speaking of dissatisfied persons like Mr. Sawle, says "Some of these characters have at times been included among the emigrants, and the result is, that they are always dissatisfied with the provisions on board ship, with the accommodation, and with the captain; on landing, they are dissatisfied with the work, the climate, and their employers; they seem totally unable to bear the slightest variation from their usual habits, have no power of adaptation to circumstances, or of putting forth energy to overcome obstacles, and send home letters full of complaints of every thing and every body. Letters of this sort do infinite harm to the cause of emigration, and in fact one such letter will suddenly stop the emigration from a large district." Is not the whole of this most justly applicable to Mr. Sawle?

Other persons have, like Mr. Sawle, written home bad accounts of the colony in the first moments of their depression. Some of those accounts have been published and have reached the province where their mis-statements have been exposed in the local papers. The last number of the South Australia Register having refuted the statements of a Mr. MAGGOWAN, which he had sent home in the bitterness of disappointment, that person writes to the editor, and say, "I now think that very few are disappointed in the colony, except for a short time at first, while they are not fully acquainted with the state of things around them. As to the agricultural capabilities of the soil and climate, I am satisfied that as good crops of grain may be raised, and are now to be seen here, as in England. Turnips are now as cheap here as in Liverpool, and of much better quality. When I said that farmers required a very large capital, I meant those who were to set up at once as gentlemen. Much more depends on the habits and ingenuity of the colonist than on the amount of his capital. I know some who, with the present year, arrived without a pound in their pockets, but who, by a few months' service, have bought five-acre lots of land, and are now cultivating their own little farms.

It is quite evident that Mr. Sawle went out with the most absurd notions. He supposed that he, a common mason, was to receive four pounds twelve shillings a week for doing little or nothing. He supposed that people were to take care of his glass and crockery; that they were to see after and to carry his luggage; that they were to go into the fields and procure wood for him, and then, "may be," light his fire and boil his kettle; that they were to fetch his water for the use of his household; and, above all, that he would find a city like the metropolis, or the large towns of the most civilized country in the world, with streets so beautifully paved that after heavy rains such as we Englishmen have little idea of, there should be no difficulty in a flock of sheep wending their way from one end of them to the other. He ought to have known, and he was told, that labour was wanted, that it would be well paid for, but that there would be very many hardships, and much want of comfort to be endured. He ought to have known that it was not probable he would find fruit trees with fruit ready to be plucked, or gardens ready laid out for the poorer emigrants to occupy, or potatoes waiting only to be dug, or ripe and laughing corn fields anxious for the sickle. All these things betoken an advanced state of civilization, and are the result of much labour and time. For a long while, where colonization is carried on upon a large scale, the settlers must be importers, and as they will have but few exports to send in exchange, things will most likely obtain a high price, and there will be a scarcity of many articles, which we, in a well-organized old community, may obtain in almost any village.

But Mr. Sawle acknowledges that the emigrants received a week's rations, although he omits that they were nearly all engaged immediately they put their feet on shore; and he also says that "on entering the colony you are pleased with its appearance; the loveliness of the country, and the largeness and greenness of the trees; but still (of course!) there are many drawbacks." Whatever these drawbacks may be, they are not, according to his own showing, physical ones, and we know that he found many drawbacks here as well as there. It would be inferred from his letter that he was inveigled into leaving this country by the agents; whereas he was several times rejected, and it was only by repeated applications, and the most strenuous exertions, in compliance with his earnest entreaties, and those of his friends, that a passage could be obtained for him.

Before I give the closing letter of Mr. Hall, written about the same time as the letter which I have been noticing, I wish to call attention to a few passages from the last letter sent home by William CANDY, a carpenter, formerly of Truro, and who has written two letters to his mother, Mrs. Candy, of Lemon row. In the last letter, dated June 1st, 1840, written, as I suppose, about a month before Sawle's letter, Candy says, "I am glad to inform you, I am in the same place to work as what I was when I first came in the colony, at 14s. a day. I am saving about £2. or £2. 10s. a week. There is plenty of money to be got working home at night. I have bought a corner piece of land in Gilbert-street, 32 feet, six feet frontage, by 70 feet back; so I have got two fronts. I am to give £40 for it. I have got four months to pay it in. I have £11 paid towards it. On that I have built myself a wooden house worth £30, and thanks be to God, we are in a far better way of doing that ever I was. It is a beautiful country, and getting to a nice city. There are many pretty houses here. On the 24th of May, being the Queen's birth-day, we had a dinner given us by the Governor, upon finishing his house. We were 134 men. Town land that was bought at £1 per acre four years ago is now selling at from £600 to £1,000, and persons now that have got a little money can soon double and treble it, as there are so many ways of making money. It would be a good job of STANAWAY and family (of Probus) were here, or any one else out of that starving country. Things are a good deal cheaper than when I wrote to you last."

Such is the evidence of Mr. Candy, but as this communication has already run to a much greater length than I anticipated, I will at once proceed to lay before your readers Mr. Hall's last letter, which reached Cornwall on Thursday last, the 25th instant. The letter is addressed to his sister, 23, Paul's-row, Truro, and the original my be seen by any one who is desirous of inspecting it: "Currie-street, Adelaide, August 2nd, 1840. Dear Mary, you will, perhaps, think I ought to have written you before, but our time is so engaged that it is scarcely possible to collect our thoughts, when we have a little time to do so. I hoped also that our affairs would have taken a more decided turn by this time. But we are still living, thanks to Providence, and getting forward. Trade is rather dull at present, but I hope it will be better soon. I feel exceedingly anxious about affairs at home, and am expecting to hear of John arriving here shortly, as he talked of leaving in February last. This is the reason of my not writing him. Masons and carpenters are well paid. But painters are very plenty, there are too many for the place. You will perceive from the letters I have formerly written home that we are in the way of shop-keeping; had it not been for this we should fall rather short. But I hope to do better soon, and without painting. I shall not cease to endeavour to do something for father and mother; I do not, cannot forget them. I should be most happy to see you all here, but fear to advise father to come, I should be afraid the voyage would be too much for him. Yet you might have a better passage then we had, ours was unusually long and painful. I very much wish that we had you here with us. It is now the rainy season, and we have had some tremendously heavy showers; you can form no idea of their force from English rain. We have been both of us very ill lately, but we are now much better. Mr. Sawle has also been dangerously ill, but is now recovering. All the family are very well, and in a fair way of getting on!! Provisions are reasonable for the place. We sell flour at 8 ½ d. per lb., sugars from 3 ½ d. to 4d., soap 6d., and other things in proportion. Bricklayers and carpenters wages are 12s. and 14s. per day; Erastus, if steady, would do well here. Write us as soon as possible, and mention all possible news. I send a letter to Mr. TRUSCOTT (of Pydar-street) with this. Mr. and Mrs. Sawle and family give their kind love to you, and all friends. With assurance of lasting love and esteem to father, &c. &c. &c. Your's very affectionately. S. R. and EMMA Hall."

The facts mentioned in the foregoing letters appear to me to be most conclusive. They are in keeping with their writers' former communications, while that of Mr. Sawle is in opposition to himself when writing to Mr. Crocker. To me this is a matter of utter indifference. But I owed it to the friends of the numerous emigrants that have gone from this county, and who now form a very large body, to disabuse their minds of the prejudices and the distress which Mr. Sawle's letter was likely to occasion. I owed it to the commissioners whom I have the honour to represent, to endeavour to remove unjust aspersions cast upon the mode in which emigration is conducted; and, above all, I owed it to myself to endeavour to show that the agents of this county are not so callous to the proper feelings of humanity as to seek their own aggrandisement in the ruin or misery of their fellow men. I am, Sir, Your obedient servant, I LATIMER.

12 MARCH 1841, Friday

MARY ANN BLAKE, 18, a good looking and respectably dressed servant, was charged with having stolen a yard and a half of calico, the property of the Rev. Nicholas KENDALL, of Lanlivery. It appeared that Amy Kendall purchased at Bodmin, on the 11th of December last, a piece of calico containing thirteen and a half yards, which she afterwards put in a wardrobe in her bed room. On looking at it on the 28th of January, she found that a piece had been torn off, and suspicion fell upon the prisoner, who was sent for and questioned, when she said she would go and fetch the piece of calico in question. The constable, Walter LITTLETON, stated that when he was taking the prisoner to gaol, she said she tore the calico off, but she did not know for what purpose. The calico was produced and identified by Miss Kendall as the property stolen. Mr. BENNALLACK addressed the court for the prisoner, and called Mr. John C. GROSE, formerly a mercer and draper, of Bodmin, who said that there was a difference in the width of the pieces of calico now produced, and also in their colour. He did not think that they came from the same piece, or that they could be identified by any experienced person unless by private marks. The Chairman summed up, remarking that the jury were to look at all the circumstances together; it was possible that these differences of width and colour might have been formed by unknown circumstances, but nothing would get over the prisoner's own acts and confessions. The jury found the prisoner Guilty.

THOMAS POLLARD, 10, was charged with having stolen 60lbs. (?) of furze, which were lying in Darley park plantation, in the parish of Linkinhorne, the property of Mr. John DINGLE. The prisoner was seen to go into the plantation, and come out with a bundle of furze. Guilty.

FANNY LIDDICOAT, 44, was charged with having stolen a pound of salt pork from the shop of Mr. James MOGG, grocer of Truro. It appeared that the prisoner, who is the wife of a labouring man, and the mother of eight children, had gone into the prosecutor's shop to purchase some bacon, and while Mrs. Osborne, the shopman's wife, was weighing the bacon, the prisoner was observed by Mr. Osborne to take up a piece of pork and put it into a basket under her cloak. The shopman immediately sent for a constable, and had the prisoner taken into custody. She received a good character, and the jury, on finding her Guilty, recommended her to mercy.

NICHOLAS CLEMENCE, 23, was charged with having stolen a patch or wood-hook, of the value of two-pence, the property of John TREHANE, of Linkinhorne. The prosecutor had left the hook in a field when he went to dinner, and on his return he found that it had been taken away. He afterwards went and saw the prisoner using a hook, which he threw over a hedge directly he saw prosecutor. Guilty.

JOHNSON JOB, 16, pleaded Guilty to stealing certain articles of wearing apparel, from Dolcoath mine, the property of Joseph RULE and Robert VIAL.

JOHN SYMONS, 37, pleaded Guilty to a charge of stealing 10 turnips, belonging to John ROBERTS. A certificate was then read by the clerk of the peace, stating that a person named John SYMONS, was about 17 years ago, convicted at Lostwithiel, of stealing a pair of shoes, and a person named John OPIE, swore that the prisoner was the same person. The prisoner, a respectable looking labourer, protested stoutly that he was not the person, and that he was never in prison before. The jury found that he was not the same person.

JUVENILE THIEVES: ABRAHAM VIALL, 12, JOHN BARBARRY, 14, THOMAS HARRIS, 12, and RICHARD RULE, 12, four little urchins, were charged with having stolen a piece of cheese, of the weight of 20lbs., from the shop of John TANGYE, jun., of Camborne. Mr. JOHN stated the case, and called John LEAR, who stated that he was a shoe-maker, living at Camborne. On the 8th of February, about nine o'clock in the evening, he saw the prisoners sanding the higher side of prosecutor's shop. They then went into the shop and made some small purchases. Three of them afterwards crossed over the road, and in half a minute Viall came out and ran away, giving as a signal "Jicko." The others left the place immediately and went another way by which they could join him. John Tangye examined, I am a shopkeeper at Camborne; on the 8th of February last, three of the prisoners came into my shop to make purchases. I saw all but Rule. Viall stood near a piece of cheese at the door. The cheese I found missing about five minutes after they left. I am a constable; on the 16th of February, two of the prisoners were in custody for stealing a box; the other prisoners were in custody the same day. On seeing me, Harris said "you condemn me for stealing your cheese, dont you?" I said that I believed that he was the one. Viall turned round and said Harris put him up to take it away. Harris said that Barbarry and Rule were present, and that they had a part as well as them. I took Barbarry and Rule into custody afterwards. Whilst they were in custody, Rule's father told him to tell the truth. He confessed to his father that he had a part of the cheese. Barbarry owned that he had eaten a part of the cheese down by the Plough Inn. William TUCK said he was present when the prisoners were in custody. Viall told him that he had taken the cheese in company with the other prisoners. They all admitted having had a part of the cheese. The prisoner Viall, when called on for his defence, said that Tuck offered him 6d. to say what he did. This was, of course denied by Mr. Tuck, and the prisoners were found Guilty. A former conviction was proved against Barbarry for stealing a coat and trowsers. There was another indictment against Viall and Harris for stealing a box from Mrs. Tuck, but the prisoners were not tried on this charge.

PETER WILLIAMS, 26, charged with stealing a bridle the property of Kingston STEVENS, of Madron, was found Not Guilty.

JOHN MARTIN, of Truro, charged with stealing a duck, the property of John REYNOLDS, in September last, was Acquitted under direction of the court, the property having been missed more than three months previous to its being found in the prisoner's possession.

JOHN WESTLAKE, 37, pleaded Guilty, to a charge of stealing a quantity of wheat, the property of Isaac MASON, at North Tamerton.

PAUL RAPSEY, 46, a master-mason, residing at Truro, was charged with having stolen a piece of American red pine, of the value of 55s., the property of Messrs. PADDON and FERRIS, merchants of Truro. Mr. STOKES appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. BENNALLACK and Mr. SMITH for the prisoner. James MORRISH examined – I am in the employ of Messrs. Paddon and Ferris, who carry on an extensive business as timber merchants at Truro. In the month of April last, I remember seeing a piece of American timber in their timber pond, marked with P. private marks, and A.D. 666, 27 feet and a half solid timber. I frequently went to the timber pond after that, and have seen the piece of timber several times. I was at the pond about two or three days before the 13th of January, and the timber was not then missing. The next time that I saw it was on the Truro Quay. John HUDDY and the sawyer, LANDERYOU, were there. I examined the timber then, and saw the marks upon it already described. The A.D. and figures had been partly obliterated by some blunt instrument. It was the timber that I saw in April in the pond. While I was looking at this timber on the quay, the prisoner came by. The sawyers said to him that Mr. Paddon owned the timber, and I turned to him and said "Mr. Rapsey this is our piece of timber, where did you get it?" John Huddy was standing by at the time. He said, "what is that to you, if it is yours prove it." Huddy said "it is Mr. Paddon's timber, I can swear to that P., I made it myself." I assured Mr. Rapsey again that it was Mr. Paddon's timber, and advised him to go to Mr. Paddon and give him some explanation of it if he would not get himself into trouble. He refused to go. I measured it and found the length of it to correspond with our entries in the book. Those entries were made on a former occasion, when I measured it, and Mr. Paddon wrote down as I called out the measurement. I am certain that piece of timber was never sold from the yard.

Cross-examined by Mr. SMITH – This was the only piece of American red pine in the pond. Huddy was in Mr. Paddon's employ when I came more than three years ago. He took himself off on the evening that this occurred; and he has never been in our employ since. Huddy has never undertaken to sell any part of Mr. Paddon's property. It was his place to deliver, not to sell. The piece of timber was 34 feet long. John RICHARDS, examined. I am in the employ of Messrs. BAYNARD of Truro. On the 13th of January, I saw the prisoner on Truro quay, about nine o'clock in the morning. Landeryou and Huddy were there. I asked Rapsey where he got the timber, and he told me it was nothing to me. He told me he had bought the piece of timber and paid for it honestly, of a man down the river. Huddy was near him. Huddy does not live down the river. William Landeryou, examined. I am a sawyer at Truro. On the morning of the 13th of January, I was at the quay by direction of Rapsey, who told me that he had two pieces of timber to saw. He asked me if I would saw it directly. I told him we would try. When I came down, the timber was pushed up the slip – the two pieces were out floating in the river, and Rapsey asked me if I would fetch them, and I did. One was a piece of American timber marked P. It was the piece that Morrish saw the same morning. I asked Rapsey where he got it, and he said where he bought it he should pay for it honest and fair – he would not satisfy me where he got it. Rapsey helped us to pull it in, and in the course of the morning Morrish and Huddy came to the quay. Rapsey was not there then, but came while they were there. Morrish said it belonged to Paddon and Company. I saw no such timber as that about the quay the night before. The tide came there about eight or nine in the evening, and went out again about eight or nine in the morning. We looked into the slip the night before. There was no timber but out own in the slip. (apologies, but the rest of the trial is missing! i.h.)

RICHARD PILL – 50, a cartman of Truro, pleaded Guilty to the charge of stealing 56 lbs of hay, the property of John FERRIS, jun. Mr. STOKES, Mr. BENNALLACK, Mr. SMITH, and others in court gave the prisoner an excellent character, and Mr. Stokes, on behalf of the prosecutor, strongly recommended the prisoner, who was said to have been in a state of great distress at the time he stole the hay, to the mercy of the court.

WILLIAM LORD – 46, was charged with stealing, on the 16th of February last, five pieces of timber, four plates of iron, and one pump tree, the property of Henry BODY and others, adventurers in Larkholes mines. It appeared that the property in question was lying on the mines, which had ceased working, and that the articles were found missing by a labourer named Joseph POGSLEY, who traced them to a linhay belonging to the prisoner. Guilty.

EDWARD LAVERS, 44, and FRANCES MINHEAR, 30, were charged with stealing a fagot of wood from Dunveath wood, the property of Sir William MOLESWORTH, Bart. On the 19th of December last, James MINERS, a policeman, was passing the wood in question, when he heard a rattling among some trees, and passed on a little way and then turned round and saw the male prisoner with a bundle of wood lying by his side. The prisoner said he had permission to take rotten wood from there. The policeman called attention to the fact that there was a piece which was not rotten, and evidence was also given by Mr. LAKEMAN, the household steward of Sir W. Molesworth, that he had not given the prisoners, or any one else permission to take wood from the plantations of the Honorable Baronet. The court directed an acquittal of the female prisoner, and the jury found the other prisoner Not Guilty.

JOHN BENNEY 26, was charged with stealing two ducks, the property of Edward RUNDLE, of Lanlivery; and JOHN MICHELL, 60, was charged with receiving the same knowing them to have been stolen. The evidence was not clear against either of the prisoners, particularly against Michell, for whom the court directed an acquittal, and a verdict of Not Guilty was given for both the prisoners. There was a second indictment for a similar offence, but the prisoners were not tried on that.

WILLIAM WYATT was found Guilty of stealing two sheaves of barley straw, the property of Thomas THOMAS, of Marvgan(?), in Meneage.

HOUSEBREAKING, RICHARD MAUNDER, 27, was charged with having broken into the dwelling house of Ambrose DAWE, of Calstock, and stolen there-from several articles of wearing apparel and other things belonging to the prosecutor. Mr. STOKES appeared for the prosecutor, and Mr. CHILDS for the defence. Ambrose DAWE examined, I am a miner living at Calstock; on the 5th of March, I saw the prisoner at my house in the middle of the day; my wife called me as I was then in bed. I asked the prisoner to dine with me; I went to work about a quarter past twelve; left my jacket, and shirt, and handkerchief, and knife, in my bed-room. I left two razors in the room; and a snuff box somewhere in the house. I afterwards returned to my house at night, and then I found these things missing. I left my wife in the house when I went to work, sitting by the fire. Cross-Examined, I live in the Harrow-barrow. There are no houses within a hundred yards of mine. I had seen the prisoner many times before that day. Sarah Dawe was next examined, and corroborated the evidence of her husband so far as he had related. She then said, after my husband went from his dinner, the prisoner asked who lived next door. I told him nobody at present. He then asked how my mistress and master got on, we had lived in service together. He went away about a quarter before one. I went away about half an hour after. When I left my house, I locked the door and took the key with me. The window nearest the ground was fastened. A board was put into it where there was a pane broken and it was fastened. I remarked the prisoner's shoes before he went away. I returned about two hours afterwards, at nearly five o'clock. I observed nothing particular on coming back to my house. When I unlocked the door, I found some one had broken in. The board of the window was lying in the window seat, but the window was fastened. I missed bread and bacon. I then missed up stairs, a jacket, a shirt, a pocket handkerchief, and the next morning two razors and a pocket knife. I observed a footstep which I thought the prisoner's, outside the window; in consequence of that I caused him to be apprehended.

Cross-examined by Mr. CHILDS, I did not tell the prisoner that I was going to my mother's house. My house is in a thoroughfare. By Mr. STOKES, He could not have taken these things from the window, but the window might have been broken open by the removal of the wooden pane. My house is on the parish road. This window faced a field, but not the road. That window cannot be seen from the road. Henry BULLEN examined. I am a constable of Callington. After the 5th of March I was applied to by the prosecutor to go to the house of Peake GARLAND, the father-in-law of the prisoner. I found a knife on the prisoner's bed in a jacket. The prisoner afterwards told me that was his jacket. I kept possession of that knife. When I apprehended the prisoner, I took off his boots. I went back to Dawe's house, and saw foot prints directly under the window where the wooden pane was. I compared the boots with the foot marks and they corresponded exactly. The mark was very remarkable. I have had the boots ever since. The witness then produced the boots and the knife. Richard Peake GARLAND examined. I am the father-in-law of the prisoner. He lodged with me till the 6th of this month. I produce some things which I found on last Sunday morning about a quarter of a mile from my house. I went to the hedge in consequence of seeing footmarks like the prisoner's. Ambrose Dawe was examined and identified the articles produced as his property. Sarah Dawe stated that the shoe produced was like that which she observed on the prisoner's foot, while he was sitting in her house. The constable also stated that he had measured the marks on the ground. Benjamin COOKE examined. I saw the prisoner on the 6th of March about a quarter of a mile from prosecutor's house going towards it. Had observed the prisoner's foot marks, and made a comparison the morning after the robbery with some near the house. They exactly corresponded. Garland stated that this shoe resembled the foot marks leading to the hedge where he found the clothes. Guilty.

SECOND COURT (Before J.H. TREMAYNE, Esq.,): JOHN MADDERN was charged with stealing three sheaves of Barley, and 5 sheaves of oats, from Martin WILLIAMS, of St. Just. The prosecutor had missed a quantity of corn from his mowhay, and on the night of the 11th of January he and Robert NOEY kept watch. Soon after midnight, the prisoner came, and was carrying off the sheaves, when they seized him. Guilty.

RICHARD WEEKS was charged with stealing hay from William Shobrook SPEAR, of Lezant. The prosecutor missed some hay from his mowhay, and traced it along for about a miles to a stable at North Tamar mine, in which the prisoner usually put his horses, and where he was at the time. Some hay was found in the stable which the prosecutor believed to be his. He said his hay had small sticks and ferns among it from the overflowing of a river near which it had grown; but in his cross-examination he admitted there were no sticks or ferns in that which he had found along the road; also, that other persons had grown hay near the same spot. He brought no samples of the hay into court. Not Guilty.

JANE JAMES, MARY ANN COOM, AND MARY ANN CODE, were charged with stealing potatoes from Mr. Henry SHORT, of St. Thomas's near Launceston. The prosecutor has a potatoe cave in one of his fields from which he missed some potatoes; and the prisoners were apprehended for stealing them on the information of Thomasin MAY. On their examination before the magistrates, James said, "she had never taken anything before and never would again," and Coom added that "they were all there together." The Chairman explained to the Jury that the evidence of an accomplice was null and void, unless corroborated by certain facts or confessions of others as it appeared to be in this case. Guilty.

GRACE BROWN – was charged with stealing part of a gate from Mr. H. VIVIAN, of Launceston. Prosecutor, in January last, discovered that one of his gates had been destroyed, and part of it carried away. He in consequence, put private marks on the remaining pieces, and about six weeks afterwards was shown some wood by the constables, which he immediately recognised as the portions of what he had marked. Thomas HIGGS, constable, on the night of the 29th ult., saw the prisoner pass with some wood; and going afterwards to her house, he found the parts of the gate marked as described. The prisoner at first said she had it given her, but afterwards that she had picked it up in the highway. Guilty.

MARY PALMER was charged with stealing a knife and a piece of port meat from Richard ISABELL, in Launceston market. The prosecutor is a butcher, and on the 20th of February he lost a knife from his stall. The prisoner had been seen at the stall and the knife was found in her basked, together with a piece of meat, which the prosecutor also identified as his property. Guilty.

MARY PASCOE was charged with stealing a petticoat from Mary GLUYAS, of Wendron. In January last, the prosecutrix washed the petticoat and hung it up to dry in her master's garden. The next morning she missed it, and it was afterwards found on the prisoner's person. Guilty.

MARY ANN EDDY was charged with stealing a brush from Mr. William ROWE, of Bodmin. The prisoner went to the prosecutor's shop and asked his wife to give her an old pair of stockings. Mrs. Rowe left the shop to get a pair, and in her absence the prisoner took the brush off the counter. She afterwards produced it at the house of an acquaintance, where there happened to be the daughter of the man who had made the brush; and this led to the prisoner's detection. Guilty.

WILLIAM SNELL was charged with stealing potatoes from Thomas SOUTHERN, of St. Germans. The facts proved against the prisoner were rather strong; but it appeared from the constables evidence that on the way to the magistrates' office the prosecutor asked him what he would give to make it up. This entirely upset the case, and the jury returned a verdict of Not Guilty.

ALEXANDER WILLS and THOMAS MOORE, two boys about 14 years of age, were charged with stealing 20lbs. of lead from Mr. Charles CLEMENTSON, of Penryn. A confession made by Moor before the magistrate, was put in stating that Wills asked him to go with him to fetch some lead which he had hid away a fortnight before. He refused to do so, but afterwards went with Wills to the shop of Mr. A. COCK, where the lead was offered for sale. Mr. Cock refused to buy it; and it was identified by Mr. W. TUCKER by some marks which he had placed on it, as the property of the prosecutor. Wills told the constable on his way to prison, that his "uncle had six months of it, his father had six months of it, and he supposed that he also should have six months of it". Wills, Guilty. Moore, Not Guilty.

THE CHURCH, The Rev. Charles CARPENTER, B.A., formerly of Falmouth, late Curate of Exbourne, has been appointed Domestic Chaplain, to Lord BEAUMONT.

SHERIFF'S COURT: A court was held at Bodmin, after the sitting of the Sessions on the evening of Tuesday last, before P. P. SMITH, Esq., Deputy Sheriff, for the purpose of trying an action in which Mr. Wm. Parkyn VERCOE, a draper of Bodmin, was the plaintiff, and Mr. Christopher WALLIS, a solicitor of that town, was the defendant. The action was brought to recover the sum of £19. 4s. 6d. for goods sold and delivered between October 1838 and December 1839. The defendant pleaded that he had paid £6 into court, where he alleged to be the full amount due to the plaintiff. Mr. SHILSON appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. STOKES for the defendant. Mr. Shilson, on the part of the plaintiff called several apprentices who proved the delivery of various articles from the shop of the plaintiff to the defendant, his wife and servants, amounting to £8. 8s.; but although proof was given of the defendants wife and servants frequently coming to the shop for goods, the plaintiff was unable to prove any express deliveries, beyond the amount stated. Mr. Stokes, on the part of the defendant, addressed the jury, but called no witnesses, relying on the difficulties which the plaintiff had in proving the delivery of the articles charged. The Deputy Sheriff summed up at considerable length, and the jury immediately returned a verdict for the plaintiff for £8. 8s., the amount proved. The case did not close till nearly one o’clock on Wednesday morning, and excited great interest among the inhabitants of Bodmin, who attended the court in large numbers.

THE CUSTOMS, We hear that Mr. Paine, of the customs, is about to resign, it being his intention to remove from Penzance to Topsham. The salary of the office is said to be £130 per annum.

PROMOTION, We are happy to observe that Lieut. F.G. HAMLEY, son of Joseph Hamley, Esq., of Bodmin, has been appointed Adjutant to the 12th Foot now stationed at the Mauritius.

FALMOUTH UNION, We understand the election of Guardians for the town of Falmouth, will not be contested. The only persons nominated were Messrs. J. ELLIS, Richard OSLER, W. J. CLARKE, and J. T. PASKE; the three former having been in office before, and the latter in the place of W. H. BOND, Esq., R.N.

LONGEVITY - John, James, and Sampson ROBERTS, whose united ages make 259 years, are now living at Gulval, near Penzance, and may be seen every Sunday in the parish church. They are all in good health; the eldest 89, the other two 86 and 84.

CORONER'S INQUESTS, On Tuesday last, at Lower St. Columb Porth, before J. CARLYON, Esq., on the body of Thomas MALCOT (?), a person about 16 years of age, who was found washed ashore near that place. The deceased was one of the crew of a small sloop called the "Brilliant," from Boscastle, which sailed from Penzance on Friday morning last, laden with slate stone, and the particulars of whose wreck we have given in another paragraph. This is the only body as yet found. Verdict, Accidentally drowned.

Before J. HAMLEY, Esq. on the 26th ult., at Padstow, on a child named Charlotte MAY, who was burnt to death. The mother had left the child for a short time to go to a bakehouse, and the neighbours hearing a cry entered the house and found the child all in flames; and before they could be extinguished the child was so burnt that she died in consequence. Verdict, Accidental death.

On the following day, another child named Sarah WATERS, at St. Blazey, came by her death under precisely similar circumstances. And on the 8th instant, a third child named Thomas SWEET, of Tintagel, was also burnt to death. Verdicts, Accidental death.

On the 1st instant, at Lanteglos, on the body of Wm. BUDGE, an old man who was wheeling a barrow of potatoes towards the town, when he was observed to stagger, and dropping the barrow, fell down and expired instantly. Verdict, Died by the visitation of God.

On the 10th instant, at Tywardreath, on the body of a woman named Elizabeth GILL. She was apparently in good health, and was washing out the dairy with her mother, when she all at once complained of a pain in her neck, fell back and died instantly. The deceased was a fine young woman who enjoyed excellent health before. Verdict, Died by the visitation of God.

On Tuesday last, at St. Just in Penwith by W. HICHENS, Esq., on the body of Richard EDDY, four years old, son of Mr. Eddy, of Nanebarrow(?) in that parish. It appeared that on the preceding day, the deceased was playing on the bridge at St. Just, when a wagon came by which knocked him down and killed him. The driver was not, as he should have been, by the side of his horses, but was following the wagon, which was going at a rapid rate at the time. Verdict, Accidental death.

NOTICE, Ann HIGGS, widow of the late William Higgs, deceased, Beer and Porter Merchant, Walsingham place, Truro, begs to return her thanks to the Friends of her late husband for the many favours received during his lifetime, and to inform that that it is her intention to continue the Beer and Porter Business as (…..?), and solicits a continuance of those favours so liberally conferred on her late husband. A. H. would thank those persons who stand indebted to the Estate of her late husband, to settle them as soon as possible; and all persons having any demands are requested to send in their accounts that they may be examined and settled as soon as possible.

TYWARDREATH PLOUGHING MATCH - On Thursday, the 25th ult., this match took place in a field on Trill Farm, belonging to Mr. ANDREW, of Tregaminion, and was attended by a large company of spectators, including several extensive and influential landowners, and a considerable number of the yeomanry from different parts of the county. The ploughing of both the men and boys was executed in a masterly manner and several of them managed their own horses without a driver, among whom was a fine old man of the name of Robert VOSS, ploughman of Sir R. H. VIVIAN, of Glynn. The judges were Mr. REYNOLDS, of Heligan, Mr. R. DOBLE, of Probus, and Mr. COATH, of Lansallos, who awarded the prizes as follows:- Single Plough – 1st prize, £4. 10s., John MARTYN, ploughman to Mr. ANSTEY, Menabilly; 2nd, £1. Robert VOSS; 3rd, 10s., Richard CORKER, ploughman to Mr. ANDREW, Tregaminion; 4th, 5s., John PARKYN, ploughman to Mr. COCK, Lanlivery. Double Ploughs – 1st prize, £1. 10s., J. HAMBLY, ploughman to Mr. PEARCE, Newhouse; 2nd, £1. Edward LANDER, ploughman to Mr. JEFFRY, St. Winnow; 3rd, 10s., Mr. W. PHILLIPPS, Broadoak; 4th, 5s., William CHIVEL, ploughman to Mr. Parkyn LERRIN. Boys under 18 years – 1st prize, 15s. Joseph STICK; 2nd, 10s., John STICK; 3rd, 5s., Joseph JEFFRY; 4th, 2s. 6d., Wm. COLLIVER.

Mr. PONTEY's prizes to the unsuccessful candidates were awarded to H. WILLS, ploughman to Mr. E. PARSONS; John TOM, ploughman to Mr. WILLIAMS; Thomas ROLLING, ploughman to Mr. Anstey. The committee also awarded to R. Voss, W. Chivel, E. LAUNDER, and J. Stick, 2s. 6d. each for driving their own horses; and a benevolent gentleman present gave liberal donations to both the men and boys who had been contending for the prizes. Nor must we omit to state that Mrs. Andrew most hospitally entertained the judges and other gentlemen present, in the labourer's cottage on the farm.

After the contest was over, the company retired to the Commercial Inn, and sat down to an excellent dinner, served by Miss Vivian in superior style. The Rev. C. LYNE, the clergyman of the parish presided; and after the cloth had been removed, many loyal and appropriate toasts were introduced by the chairman in ne(?)t addresses, and drunk by the company with enthusiastic cheering. After the distribution of the prizes, the chairman introduced Mr. W.F. KARKEEK, of Truro, who delivered an able lecture on the horse, for which, at the close, he received the unanimous thanks of the gentlemen present. The company then separated with mutual congratulations on the pleasure they had derived from the day's proceedings.

19 MARCH 1841, Friday

SECOND COURT. Before J. H. TREMAYNE, Esq.: FRANCIS EVANS, was charged with stealing a quantity of tobacco and sugar-candy, the property of Mr. GATLEY, of Truro. William SCANTLEBURY, a shopman with Mr. Gatley, stated that on the preceding Monday, the prisoner, who was also in Mr. Gatley's employ, accompanied him to the cellar for some sugar-candy, and not having taken out a sufficient quantity, he sent him again. In consequence of some suspicion, he went to see after him, and found him at the tobacco barrel; and having this time taken too much sugar-candy, he sent him a third time with the remainder. On going again to see after him, he observed his pocket looked larger than usual; and seizing him by the collar, asked him what he had there? Prisoner said it was tobacco, which on searching him proved to be true. He had also some sugar-candy. FITZSIMMONS, a policeman of Truro, stated that on taking him to prison, he said he could not think what induced him to take the tobacco and candy. Guilty, Three Months' Hard Labour, one fortnight of which to be passed in solitary confinement.

SARAH THORN pleaded guilty of stealing a cloak, at Liskeard. Two Months' Hard Labour.

ROBERT COWLING and THOMAS WILLIAMS were charged with having feloniously stolen, at the Borough of Liskeard, three sheep skins, the property of Thomas POLLARD. John WILLCOCKS state that he is in the employ of the prosecutor, and that about October last, some of his master's sheep died, which he skinned, and hung the skins on the key-beam in an outhouse. Did not see anything of them again until the 25th of January last, at the house of Mr. MOON, in Liskeard, when he was shewed the heads and ears of three sheep, which were marked very similar to his master's private mark, particularly one, which was marked in a peculiar manner, and which he recollected hanging on the key-beam with the others. Peter POOLEY, lodges at the same house with the prisoner Williams; saw him on the 4th of January in the kitchen with a bag; asked him if he had rags there? He replied yes. A short time afterwards he saw the same bag on the shoulder of Cowling, the other prisoner. After this, he asked Williams how he got on with his scraps, when he put his hand in his pocket and took out 4 or 5 shillings, and said "Robert (meaning Cowling) had 3 or 4 shillings." About a week after this, he went into the yard at the back of the house, where he lodged, and saw some sheeps' heads and ears in an adjoining garden belonging to Mr. Moon; they were the same as those produced in court. He informed Mr. Moon of the circumstance, and they were immediately placed in the custody of John DAWE, who apprehended the prisoner Cowling. Prisoner said at the time, he knew nothing of the sheepskins more than he saw Williams in the pig's house pulling skins and putting the wool in a bag. Williams had his steelyards to weigh it; he carried it away and sold it to Mr. H…don? for 4s. 6d. Sophia CRABB, stated that prisoner Williams lodges at her house; she saw him pulling off wool from the sheep skins in her pig's house, and desired him to carry it away; he said "I will, but don't tell Peter" (meaning Pooley.) The next day Robert Cowling came there with Williams, and went into the passage. Williams went into the yard; one of them carried a bag; they went away together; very soon after she went into the pig's house and the skins were gone. Not Guilty.

THOMAS WILLIAMS – was also charged with stealing a quantity of potatoes and turnips, the property of John Sampson ROBERTS. The prosecutor state that he had seen the prisoner frequently lurking about his premises, and on the 9th of January, he watched and saw him with a bag; it was very bright moonlight, and between ten and eleven o'clock. Prisoner, on observing him, dropped the bag, and made off. Witness called to him to stop and take up his bag. The bag contained turnips and potatoes. Next morning, witness, in company with another man, compared the potatoes with those in his own cave, from which they found about the same quantity had been taken, and they corresponded exactly. The field in which the potatoe-cave was, led by a gate into his turnip field, where he found nine tops on the ground, which fitted to the nine turnips found in the bag, and there were nine places from which turnips had been taken. Peter POOLEY lodged at the same house with the prisoner; on the 9th of January last, about eight in the evening, he remembers prisoner saying he must go and have some potatoes and turnips for to-morrow's dinner. Witness persuaded him not to do any such thing. Knows the bag perfectly well; it was kept at the house for fetching coals, &c., Guilty, SEVEN YEARS' TRANSPORTATION.

ROBERT COWLING was also charged with BENJAMIN ROGERS, with receiving from Richard COSSENTINE, at the borough of Liskeard, a brass pan, knowing the same to have been stolen. William STANTON is a carrier of Liskeard; in November last, he lost a brass pan, with an iron hoop around it; he saw it next in the possession of DAWE, a constable, on the 25th of January last. John Dawe, constable of Liskeard, apprehended Cowling on the 25th of January, and took him before the mayor, when he said he had bought the pan of Richard Cossentine for 4s. 6d., of which sum Ben. Rogers had been 1s. 6d. as his part. He took the pan to Rogers's house on the night it was stolen; the next morning he took it to Edward LEANE'S smith's shop, where he cut it in pieces, and a day or two afterwards carried it away and sold it. The prisoners had been partners in travelling together, picking up old rags, iron, &c. William CRABB, who had just before been acquitted at the other court, stated a conversation which had taken place between him and Rogers, much to the same impart as stated to Dawe by Cowling; and Rogers asked him to lend his money to go off with the pan and sell it. Cross-examined by Mr. BENNALLACK, Cowling had the poney of him, and carried off something in a bag; he didn't know that it was the pan; it might have been a blacksmith's (..?) for what he knowed; he didn't see the pan at all. Cowling brought the poney home. Rogers was not there; he didn't see Rogers with Cowling. There was a man convicted here last sessions for stealing this brass pan. Edward LEAN is a smith, carrying on business about half-a-mile from Liskeard. Early one morning about Christmas, Cowling came to his shop, and had a brass pan with him; he said he wanted to beat it together, and carry it to Devonport for sale. He bought it of Cossentine, at the rate of four-pence per pound, and paid him for it. The pan, after being cut, was put in one corner of his shop. The next day Cowling came again between nine and ten in the morning, took the pieces of the pan, and carried them away in a sack. He shortly after returned and said he had put it away where nobody could see it. It was William Stanton's pan, and Cossentine had stolen it. There was an iron hoop around it, which Cowling desired me to put away. Cross-Examined, Cowling also said Miners is taken up for stealing the pan. Has known Rogers for many years, and never heard anything against him. The iron hoop was produced, and identified by the prosecutor. Mr. Bennallack addressed the court, and maintained that a party of the name of Miners had been tried and convicted at the last sessions for stealing the pan in question, and that no mention was made of it in the present indictment; consequently the indictment was not valid. After a short deliberation, the court quashed the indictment, and directed the acquittal of the prisoners, with a severe reprimand to Cowling, telling him if he should ever be convicted hereafter, he would be very severely dealt with.

WM. ROGERS and JOHN TREVENA, who were charged with stealing three sovereigns, a watch, and two hats, the property of Elisha TREWARTHA, of Gwennap, were sentenced to Three Months' Hard Labour and to be each Once Privately Whipped.

THOMAS OPPY – was found Guilty of stealing candies out of a chest, the property of John JEWELL and others of Gwennap. The prisoner unfortunately has a bad mother, at whose instigation he committed the crime of which he was found guilty, and the court sentenced him, in order to get him out of the reach of his mother's influence, to Two Years imprisonment in the Packhurst Institution.

SENTENCES OF THE PRISONERS: The prisoners tried at these sessions were sentenced at too late an hour to admit of our giving them in our last week's paper. We now give them in the order in which they were tried. MARY ANN BLACK, Three Months' Hard Labour.

THOMAS POLLARD, One Week's Hard Labour.

NICHOLAS CLEMENCE, Three Months' Hard Labour.

JOHNSON JOB, One Month's Hard Labour.

JOHN SYMNONS, Six Months' Hard Labour.

ABRAHAM VIALL, and THOMAS HARRIS, One Month's Hard Labour, and to be each once privately whipped.

JOHN BARBARRY, was sentenced to Two Years' Imprisonment in the House of Correction, the Chairman stating that the object of this sentence was to get the prisoner sent to the Packhurst Institution, a prison established for the care and correction of juvenile thieves.

RICHARD RULE, to be Privately Whipped and then Discharged.

JOHN WESTLAKE, One Month's Hard Labour.

A CANDIDATE FOR TRANSPORTATION, NICHOLAS SCOBELL, for stealing property belonging to the Truro Union. The Chairman, in sentencing this prisoner, said there are many convictions which might be proved against you, and we are of opinion that one great object which you have in the commission of these crimes is that you may be transported. But we shall do no such thing. Your health is such that we should have a difficulty in sending you away at all. We have passed upon you a severe sentence before, but we shall not pass upon you a light one, and it is rather a singular thing, considering that the last sentence was six months' imprisonment with solitary confinement. The sentence of the Court now is that you be Imprisoned Six Weeks, and that during that time you be kept to such hard labour as your condition will admit.

JOHN ORGILL, Four Months' Hard Labour.

WM. WATERS, One Month's Hard Labour.

JOHN WILLIAMS, Six Weeks' Hard Labour.

RICHARD PILL, One Month's Hard Labour.

WILLIAM LORD, Three Months' Hard Labour.

WILLIAM WYATT, Six Weeks' Hard Labour.

RICHARD MAUNDER, for housebreaking, Two Years' Hard Labour, six weeks of which solitary confinement.

JOHN MADDERN, Two Months' Hard Labour.

JANE, JAMES, MARY ANN COOM, and MARY CODE, One Month's Hard Labour.

GRACE BROWN, One Month's Hard Labour.

MARY PALMER, Three Months' Hard Labour; and for a second offence at the close of the first sentence she was to receive a further imprisonment of Three Months, with Hard Labour.

MARY PASCOE, One Week's Hard Labour.

MARY ANN EDDY, Two Months' Hard Labour.

ALEXANDEER WILLS, One Month's Hard Labour.

CORNWALL SESSIONS – (Concluded from our last number.) Thursday, March 11, 1841. Before J.K. LETHBRIDGE, Esq. WILLIAM HAMLEY, 33, was indicted for stealing in the parish of Egloshayle, a plank of wood, the property of Henry HUGHES. It appeared that the prosecutor was a road-maker, and had had business to do in the neighbourhood of Wadebridge, after which he left some planks in the care of Mr. FRADD the landlord of the Molesworth Arms, in that town. In October last, Mr. Fradd put four of these planks in a marsh which he occupied in the parish of Egloshayle, and he shortly after missed one of them, when, in consequence of information that he received, he went to the prisoner's house, and there found the plank in question cut in two pieces. – one piece being used for the purpose of keeping up potatoes in a linbay, and the other he found lying among some faggots of wood. A man named William OSBORNE, who stated that he was a bargeman, said, in October last, he and the prisoner went to their barge together. On the 13th of October he was in the road leading to Wadebridge, between Sladesbridge and Wadebridge, and the prisoner then went into a marsh and took the plank in question to use on board the barge. After using it there, the prisoner took it home and kept it. This witness underwent a rigid cross-examination by Mr. JOHN, and it appeared pretty clearly that his evidence was not much to be depended upon, for he confessed to the prisoner having refused him credit for meat, and it further appeared that he had, about seven years ago, been charged with stealing coals from Messrs. NORWAY and OLIVER, and had suddenly decamped and remained away from the town for two years, when he returned, the merchants having in the interim dissolved partnership. When Mr. Fradd went to the prisoner's house, there was no attempt to conceal the pieces of plank, and the prisoner at once gave Mr. Fradd a light for the purpose of aiding him in his search. At the close of the case, Mr. John addressed the jury in a powerful speech, and at the conclusion was about to call witnesses to character. The first person who advanced had a craniological development of so forbidding a nature as to obtain from him an instant rejection, and Mr. John selected a second who appeared a more respectable person, but the moment Mr. Edward LYNE, who conducted the prosecution, saw him, he exclaimed "why that man has been transported." Of course a convicted felon was not the kind of person to obtain credit with a jury, and he was immediately dismissed from the box, and the case allowed to rest on its merits. The effect which this little scene produced upon the countenances of the jury was most striking, and it is very probable that all Mr. John's eloquence would have proved useless, had not the chairman, in his summing up, also dwelt upon the danger of giving credence to the evidence of such a damaged witness as Osborn. The jury found the prisoner Not Guilty.

WILLIAM CRABB was charged with having stolen two pounds weight of iron and a chain, the property of John Sampson ROBERTS, a farmer, of Menheniot. The prisoner is a tramper who frequents fairs and other places of that description, and gets his living by selling nuts, buying old iron, &c. On the 13th of January last, Cowling, a constable of St. Germans, overtook the prisoner, and searched his bag, in which he found an iron oxtoe and chain belonging to the prosecutor. The prisoner accounted for the possession of these articles by saying that he bought them of a man named Thomas WILLIAMS, who was at that moment being tried in the other court for several offences. Mr. SMITH urged on behalf of the prisoner that he was nearly blind and exceedingly weak in his intellects, and that Williams was the really guilty party, and ought to have been the person indicted. The jury found a verdict of Not Guilty. There was a second indictment charging the prisoner with having stolen a piece of iron chain, the property of Thomas POLLARD, of Liskeard; but as this was said to have been also purchased from Williams, no evidence was offered, and the prisoner was Acquitted. Crabb then went into the other Court, and gave evidence against Williams.

THE NAVY. We understand the Capt. PLUMRIDGE, superintendent of the Packet Establishment at Falmouth, is appointed to the command of H.M. Ship the "Queen," which is to bear the flag of Admiral Sir Charles ADAM, the newly appointed Commander-in-Chief in the Mediterranean. Capt Plumridge will not leave Falmouth without carrying with him the hearty good wishes of the inhabitants of that town, who, we well know, universally entertain the highest respect for him, both as an officer and a gentleman.

FALMOUTH. The schooner "Mary Jane," of Cork, CASEY, master, from Poole for Liverpool, with a cargo of Clay, &c., ran on the Meers Rocks, between the Blackhead and Manacles, during the fog of Sunday night last, but was afterwards got off with assistance; and after being lightened, was taken into Coverack pier in a leaky condition.

RUNDLESTONE ROCK. Lieut, CRESER, of the "Hope" packet, just arrived from the West Indies, reports having fallen in with the buoy of this rock adrift.

TRURO GENERAL CEMETERY. The first funeral at this cemetery took place on Sunday morning last, when a child of Mr. COCK, mason was interred by the Rev. W. MOORE, the Rev. P. J. WRIGHT being present and assisting in the service. The ground appears to be well adapted for the purpose for which it is intended, the grave having been dug eleven feet deep without the slightest obstruction.

TRURO POLICE. ISAAC CUMMINGS was, on Friday last, fined 5s. and costs, for being drunk and disorderly; and on Tuesday, William MATTHEWS was fined, with costs, for assaulting Ellen, wife of George PEARCE, butcher.

PROBUS POLICE. Charles ANNEAR, a shoemaker, and William COCK, an ostler, were charged before Capt. KEMPE on Tuesday last, by policeman BAMFIELD, Cock with having stolen from Mr. Henry PEARCE, a quantity of oats, and Annear with having received them knowing them to have been stolen. The robbery was discovered by Mr. William GATLEY, of Tregoose. The prisoners were committed for trial at the next assizes.

ROBBERY. On Saturday last, a watch was stolen from the house of Oliver TOY, labourer, Stithians. The thief is supposed to be a vagrant who came to the house about five o'clock that afternoon, as the watch was missed soon afterwards. The watch is numbered 7147. MUDLEY maker, and has the name of Oliver Toy engraved on the inner case. We hope this announcement may be the means of detecting the thief, and restoring the property to its rightful owner.

CAUTION TO WELL-SINKERS. On Saturday last, as a labourer, named Richard JACKA (s?), was employed to clean a well belonging to Mrs. THOMAS, near the Inn, Newquay, the rope of the windlass broke, and the kibble, which was a large one, and full of rubbish, fell on him, and bruised his shoulder and back so severely that his recovery is considered very doubtful, although no bones are broken. Some blame is attributed to Jacka for not more carefully examining the rope, as it was old and had lain by for some time.

CORONERS' INQUESTS: An inquest was held at Treblejew mine, in the parish of Lower St. Columb, on Saturday last, by Joseph HAMLEY, Esq., on the body of a man, supposed to be the Captain of the smack "Brilliant," that was lost off that place the week before. He had on a jacket and flannel waistcoat, which was marked with the initials E. J. when washed ashore. A report having been circulated that the crew of the vessel when she left Boscastle were not on the most friendly terms, a surgeon was sent for to examine the body, but here were no wounds on it sufficient to occasion his death, and a verdict was returned of found drowned.

Also on Monday last, at Boscastle, on the body of an old man, 86 years of age. The deceased, on the Saturday before, was found lying in the road near that place, with his thigh broken, and having been taken into the town, a surgeon was sent for, but he shortly after expired. The deceased was in the habit of going around the country selling matches, and went by the name of "Scotch Willy;" what his real name was he did not tell, but said he was 86 years of age, and that he fell down the night before he was discovered, and had lain in the road all night. Verdict – Accidental death.

EMIGRATION. The Brig "Voluma," 500 Tons, Robert EASTHOPE, Master, will sail from Padstow, the first week in April, with passengers for Quebec; as this Vessel will only take a limited number of passengers the accommodation on board will be very superior. For particulars apply to Mr. SEATON, the owner, Padstow. March 15, 1841.

PASSAGE TO THE UNITED STATES. Notice is hereby given that the barque, "Royal Adelaide's", intended day of sailing for New York with passengers, is postponed from the 23rd, to Tuesday the 30th of the present month. The fine ship "Cornwall," 600 tons burthen, J. VIVIAN, Commander, is also intended to leave Falmouth for New York, with passengers, at the same time. Dated, Roseworthy, March 17th, 1841.

INTERESTING ANCIENT RELIC. In 1834, a white oak tree was cut down, in the town of Lyons, Wayne county, New York, two miles west of the village, measuring four feet and a half in diameter. In the body of the tree, about four feet and a half from the ground, was found a large and deep cutting by an axe, severing the heart of the tree, and exhibiting, with perfect distinctness, the marks of the axe at the present time. The whole cavity thus created by the original cutting was found to be encased by 460 years' growth of the wood, i.e., it was concealed beneath 460 layers of timber which had grown over it subsequently to the cutting. Consequently the original cutting must have been in the year 1374, or 118 years before the discovery of America by Columbus. The cutting was at least six inches deep.

26 MARCH 1841, Friday

CHACEWATER, Friday, This being the 93rd birthday of Matthew MOYLE, Esq., of Chacewater, the poor of that town and neighbourhood are to be supplied with beef and beer, and the friends of that benevolent and venerable gentleman will dine together at Martyn's hotel.

FALMOUTH POLICE. On Monday last, Mr. M. JACOBS, pawnbroker, was summoned before the mayor and magistrates of Falmouth, to restore a quantity of wearing apparel which had been illegally pledged by a man called SANDS, who is employed as a vender of seamen's ready made clothes by a Mr. BENNETT. The articles were nearly all pledged by a daughter of Sands, at his request, the child having stated that her father gave her the things to pawn, and she always gave him the money. Tickets were handed in to the number of 48, and Mr. Bennett having sworn to the whole of the goods as being his property, the magistrates ordered them to be restored. The plaintiff's attorney then stated that the parties would again be brought forward, as he was instructed to sue for the penalty incurred by M. JACOBS, in having taken pledges from a child under twelve years of age, contrary to the statute. The case is to come on, on Tuesday next.

SHIPWRECK. On Friday, the 19th instant, a vessel, with the mast hanging over the side, was discovered inside the Rundle-stone; she almost immediately disappeared, and her cargo was scattered in every direction. Her timbers appear to have been quite new, as does the figurehead, (a black lion) which is washed in, and her flag, which is striped horizontally, blue and white, the latter having a torn edge, with a coat of arms partially torn off, the motto, "Craigne - Konte," and the lower parts of lions, for supporters, being left. No doubt the part torn off was red, and she was a Dutch galliot. None of the crew have been seen, and it is conjectured that they must have abandoned her or been drowned. A quantity of wool, skins, and dye-wood, has been washed on the beach.

DISTRESSING ACCIDENT. On Monday morning last, at day-break, a vessel was described in distress about a quarter of a mile from the shore off "Praa Sands," which is near "Prussia Cove," in Mount's-bay; and as the day broke, it was seen that she had come to an anchor that the mainmast was gone by the board, and only a part of the foremast standing. Almost immediately Lieut. SMITH, of the preventive service, stationed at that place, and five preventive men, assisted by a young man from the cove, put off in order to render assistance, and, if possible, to rescue the unfortunate crew of the distressed vessel. Before they had got 30 fathoms off, the boat upset, and all hands were drowned, leaving five widows, and 24 fatherless children. The names of those drowned are - Lieut. SMITH, (highly spoken of both as an officer and a gentleman): WELSPRING, (chief boatman) leaving a widow and nine children: W. FANCE, a widow and five children: J. MCMAHON, a widow and five children: and CONNELL, a widow and five children; the other being a young man called RICHARDS. As soon as Captain MATHIAS, R.N., inspecting commander of the coast guard of Penzance district received the sad intelligence, he ordered the "Sylvia" cutter to proceed immediately and render all assistance in their power. Her boat succeeded in taking three men from the vessel, and would have brought away the whole crew, eleven in number, but the others refused to leave, and night coming on, the cutter was obliged in the offing. It seems she is the "Mary Stewart," of Cardiff, Capt. BLOOM, quite a new vessel, and bound to Constantinople with iron. She was dismantled on the 18th, 300 miles west of Scilly, and was taken in tow by the "Ann," of Dartmouth, (from Swansea to Alexandria) and at nine p.m. of the 22nd, running free, they made the land so close that the "Ann" had enough to do to get clear of her charge, and on Monday, she attained a safe offing. The "Mary Stewart" came to with both anchors drove, struck on a ledge, drove again, and soon after brought up, with 35 fathoms of cable on each anchor. On the 23rd, the "Sylvia" and trawler returned to her and the weather having subsided, towed her into Gwavas Lake that night at ten o'clock, and the next morning into Penzance pier. Mr. PEARCE, the agent to Lloyds, had just reached Prussia Cove, to arrange with Lieut. Smith to go off, when the boat upset. Had he been there a few minutes sooner, he would have been among the number who perished. We trust he is mercifully spared for further usefulness, and we also hope that the widows and children of the brave men, who have lost their lives by their intrepidity, will meet with the sympathy and support of a benevolent public.

On Tuesday, an inquest was held before W. HICHENS, Esq., upon the bodies of McMahon and Connell, two Irishmen, and Richards, which had been washed on shore very much bruised. The facts, nearly as stated above, were proved before the coroner, and a verdict of "Accidentally Drowned" returned. The other three bodies had not been found when our last accounts were sent off.

CORONERS' INQUESTS. On Saturday last, an inquest was held before W. HICHENS, Esq., at Germoe, on the body of Grace HAMPTON, aged about 5 years. She accidentally caught her clothes on fire on the preceding Thursday, during the absence of her mother in a neighbouring field, where she was assisting her husband. The child was dreadfully burnt and lived only a few hours. Verdict: Accidental death.

Yesterday, at Blackwater, before John CARLYON, Esq., coroner, on the body of John GILL, a young man 25 years of age, who on the preceding day fell from the 188 fathom level, in Consols Mine, down to the 230 fathom level, and was killed on the spot. Verdict: Accidental death.

CANADA. Farmers going to Canada, will do well to call on Mr. H. E. NICOLLS, Land Agent, next door to the Post Office, Toronto. Mr. N. has land to sell in almost ever township of Upper Canada, and will suit purchasers with a list of cleared Lands near any town in which they may wish to settle. p.s.. Mr. N. is from Launceston, Cornwall, and has resided upwards of nine years in Canada.

EMIGRATION TO AMERICA. The good, faithful, British-built "John & Mary," Andrew HARVEY, Master, (has lately been carefully examined by Lloyds' surveyors) is intended to sail from Padstow about the first day of April, (wind and weather permitting) with Passengers for Quebec. For particulars apply at the office of Mr. TREDWEN, Merchant, Padstow, or to the Master on Board. March 24, 1841.

PASSAGE TO THE UNITED STATES, NOTICE, All passengers about to leave for New York by the ships "Cornwall," and "Royal Adelaide," are hereby informed, that the intended day of Sailing is deferred for a short period, and that they will receive a special notice of three days of the time they should come on board at Falmouth. Joseph Vivian. Dated, Roseworthy, March 24, 1841.


[  BACK  ]