Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries Fr - Fz

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Fr - Fz

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Frang Simon E.
Fransen Christen
Fransen Oscar Mrs.
Frederickson Annetta Mrs.
Fredrickson Andrew G.
Fredrickson Andrea
Fredrickson Charley
Fredrickson Erick
Fredrickson Fred
Fredrickson Gunder Mrs.
Fredrickson Mads
Fredrickson Nels L. Sr.
Fredrickson Nels L. 2
Fredrickson NL Mrs.
Fredrickson Ole
Fredrickson Ole (2)
Fredrickson Ole Mrs.
Fremstad Albert H.
Fremstad Andrew O.
Fremstad Andrew Mrs.
Fremstad Anton H.
Fremstad Chris Mrs.
Fremstad Elizabeth Mrs.
Fremstad Hans A.
Fremstad Inger Mrs.
Fremstad Mathias Johnson
Fremstead Christ O.
Freng Anton N.
Freng Anton N. (2)
Frisley Carrie Mrs.
Fristad Bendik
Fristad Nicholai B.
Frujordet Matt
Fuglem Bardo O.
Fyslie Mathias

"Anton N. Freng came to Trempealeau County in 1875, and has lived on his present place of 160 acres in sections 27 and 28 Sumner Township, since 1883. As chairman of the town board of supervisors he has served on the county board eleven years, he has been accessor seven years, and clerk on the school board for twelve years. His financial relations are with the State Bank of Osseo, his business holdings include a half interest in his son's furniture store in Osseo, and his church connections are with the Hauge Norwegian Lutheran congregation, of which he has been secretary nearly a quarter of a century. As a modern farmer he keeps well abreast of the times and takes great pride in the development and improvement of his estate. Mr. Freng was born in Ringsacker, Norway, July 31, 1852, and was brought to America by his parents, Nels and Bertha (Johnson) Haakenson Freng living with them in LaCrosse, Wis. two years before coming to this county. He was married July 10, 1880, to LOUISE HUSKELHUS, born in Biri, Norway, February 20, 1862, daughter of PETER ARNESON HUSKELHUS and Sedsel Jorgenson, who came to America in 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Freng have four children: Bernt A., Peter N., Sena E. and Albert L. Bernt A. is a fuirniture dealer and untertaker at Osseo. He has two children, Mildred and Nels. Peter N. is employed in a garage at Osseo, He has two children, Blanche and Sena. Sena E. died at the age of twenty-five years. Albert L. farms with his father. He has two children, Anton and Elmer. Nels Haakenson Freng settled in Golden Valley, Sumner Township, in 1875, and five years later moved to Hale Township, remaining there until he took up his home with his son, Anton N. Freng, where he lived until his death in 1905 at the age of 79 years. His wife, Bertha Johnson, died in Sumner Township in 1878 at the age of 67. Before locating in this county they had lived in LaCrosse, Wis., to which city they came from their native land of Norway in 1873." History of Trempealeau County, 1917

"The 14th chapter of John, first seven verses, beginning 'Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe in God; believe also in me,' were used as the sermon text by the Rev. O.G. Birkeland at services conducted last Thursday afternoon for Mrs. N.L. Fredrickson. It was at her request that these verse were used, and the marked passages were found in her Bible by her family after her sudden passing on Monday morning, September 27. Mrs. Fredrickson had been ill with diabetes and complications for several years but her death came unexpectedly when none of her family happened to be with her.
Services were held first at the home, where "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" was sung by those attending. At Our Saviour's Lutheran church, where the rites were continued, a women's octette sang "I'm But a Stranger Here, Heaven is My Home" and "Den Store Hvide Flok". The singers were Mmes. H.J. Aleckson, B.M. Skogstad, Lewis Hanson, S.B. Ivers and S.M. Salverson and the Misses Pearl Brennom, Mayme Hallingstad and Mabel Larson. The pall bearers were Walter and Dewey Bensend, Einar and Alf Wilberg., O.W. Elstad and John O. Gilbertson and the flowers were carried by Mmes Walter Bensend, Einar and Alf Wilberg, O.W. Elstad, John O. Gilbertson and H.J. Elstad. Burial was in Lincoln cemetery.
As Sigrid Kildahl, Mrs. Fredrickson was born September 30, 1884 in Valders, Norway, the daughter of Ole and Mathea Kildahl. When she was 18 years old she came to this country and to Whitehall, where on January 1, 1910, she was joined in marriage to N.L. Fredrickson. The ceremony was performed at his farm home on the south edge of town, where they have resided ever since.
The survivors are her husband; four children, Mrs. Stanley Gilbertson, N.L. Fredrickson, Jr., and Mrs. Douglas Mason of Whitehall and Mrs. Earl Berg of Corpus Christi, Texas, one brother, Einar Kildahl of Whitehall, and her father and five brothers and sisters residing in Norway." THE WHITEHALL TIMES - October 7, 1943

Mrs. Carrie Frisley, 88, resident of Trempealeau County since 1869, died at 5 p.m. last week Thursday at the home of her only living sister, Mrs. Tena Lien in Whitehall. She had been in failing health for six years and had been bedridden for several weeks.
As Carrie (Karens) Jordet, Mrs. Fristley was born December 11, 1856, in Blekke Leia Bendalen, Sondre Aurdal, Norway, the daugher of Gilbert Jordet and his wife Olia Tollesrud She came to America in 1866 with her parents, who settled at Black Earth, Dane county. They remained there for three years and then came to Irvin coulee south of what is now Whitehall, homesteading land there.
As a young woman she married Christian Frisley, who died about 35 years ago. She continued to reside in Irvin coulee on the present Bennie Lien farm until six years ago when she moved to Whitehall to reside with her sister, at whose home she died. Three children were born to this couple, one of whom survives, Anna, Mrs. Ira Wakefield of Stanley, N.D. One son Oliver of Medicine Hat, Albert, Canada, died three years ago of heat prostation, just as he was about to make a visit home and the other son, Sever, was killed in an accident.
She leaves beside her daughter ,three grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and her one sister, Mrs. Tena Lien, Whitehall. Preceding her in death were four brothers, Gilbert Gilbertson, who died two years ago, Ole G. Jordet and Ever Gilbertson, who passed on in 1938, and Anton Olson, 1907; and two sisters, Mrs. John Bidney of Independence and Olava.
Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Rhode chapel and at Our Saviour's Lutheran church, the Rev. O.G Birkeland officiating. A group from the Senior choir contributed the music, singing Abide With Me,", Beddre kan je ikke farre,"and one other hymn. Pall bearers were Bennie Knudtson, Marcus Arneson, Arnold Britten, Truman Nelson, Albert Rud and Helmer Hermanson, all old neighbors of the deceased and the flower were carried by Adeline and Beatrice Lien.
Coming from a distance for the last rites were Miss Evelyn Wakefield of Stanley, N.D., her granddaguhter, Mrs. Emil Torpen of LaCrosse,her niece, and John Bidney of Pennsylvania, her brother-in-law, who is at the present time visiting at Independence." THE WHITEHALL TIMES - May 31, 1945

Simon E. Frang whose death was mentioned in The Times last week, was born at Stange, Hedemarken, Norway, August 13, 1852. He grew to manhood in his native land, and in 1881, emigrated to America, first settling in LaCrosse. At that place he met Gina Hammerstad, who became his wife in 1883. Shortly after their marriage they moved to the town of Hale in Trempealeau county, where they purchased a farm. For nearly a quarter of a century they resided in that township where they raised their family. Three children were born to them, Anna, Mrs. Adolph Hanson of Whitehall; Emil of Big Timber, Montana; and one son, the first born, died in infancy. On April 6, 1905, Mrs. Frang died. Following the death of his wife, he disposed of his farm, and on January 29, 1908, was united in marriage to Hage Lysdahl. Following their marriage they have lived at Van Hook, North Dakota, where he was claimed by death on October 4, 1926, aged 74 years, 1 month and 21 days. The remains were brought back to Whitehall where funeral services were held last Friday and interment was made in the Lutheran cemetery in the town of Hale. The deceased was a Christian and a man of a sterling character. His many old time friends in this vicinity mourn his passing. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 14, 1926

Annie Olson was born March 2, 1896 of the parents, Iver and Carrie Olson, at Lom, Norway. She was baptized in her native land and in 1910 confirmed in the South Beef River church by Rev. Em. Christophersen. On June 22, 1912, she was united in marriage to Oscar Fransen of Bruce Valley by Rev. Falkedahl. She leaves to mourn her death, besides the children (Mabel, Orville, Irvine, Otis, Alvin and Lillie), her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Iver Olson of Osseo, Mrs. Otto Zike, Jr., and Mrs. Lloyd McHols of Waukegan, Ill, Mrs. Rex Holbrook of Eau Claire, Olof and John Olson of Osseo and Halvor Olson of Outlook, Washington, besides other relatives and friends. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 25, 1934

One by one, the pioneer settlers of the Town of Preston are passing on. This week is recorded death of Charley Fredrickson, one of the early settlers in Reynolds Coulee. Mr. Fredrickson died March 24, 1948 at the St. Joseph Hospital in Arcadia where he had been a patient for four weeks. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Zion Lutheran church with the Rev. Luther S. Borgen officiating. Mrs. Leonard Ellison, accompanied by Mrs. Harold Hauge, sang two songs. Pallbearers who carried the remains to their final resting place in the church cemetery were old friends and neighbors of the deceased - Fred Skorstad, Thomas Toraason, Olaf Ericksmoen, John B. Thompson, Henry Nyberg and Theodore Austin. Carrying flowers were Mrs. Bennie Erickson, Mrs. Raider Martin and June Anderson, a granddaughter. Charley Fredrickson was born April 7, 1860 near Esokken, Sweden, the son of Frederick and Caroline Olson. When he was nine year old, he came with his parents to this country, making the trip across the ocean in a combination sailing and steamship. The trip took several months. The family landed in New York and proceeded by train to Racine where they spent a couple of weeks with relatives. They then came to Reynolds Coulee to the home of Mrs. Olson’s brother, Peter Erickson. They remained with the Ericksons until the following spring when Mr. Olson homesteaded in the same valley. As a boy, Mr. Fredrickson attended the first elementary school in Blair, located near the present Theodore Amundson home, and was confirmed in the Trempealeau Valley church by the late Rev. Lobben. As a young man, he worked in the northern Wisconsin pineries for about 15 winters, and spent his summers in the harvest fields of the west. In 1896, he and Halvor Field, formerly of Blair, went to Omaha, Arkansas with the intention of filing on homesteads, and while there he married on July 11, 1896, Miss Mary Elmer of that place. In November of that year, the young couple came to Blair and lived for a year on his father’s farm. Mr. Fredrickson then settled on land purchased previously from the railroad and grubbed out a farm on which he and his wife lived until 1936 when they retired and moved to Blair. Mrs. Fredrickson passed away on December 9, 1938. After her death Mr. Fredrickson spent much of his time with his daughter, Mrs. Alvin Anderson and family and the last few years with his son, Arthur, and family in Whitehall. He is survived by eleven sons: Alfred, Fridjof, Morris, Melvin and Elden of Oakland, California; William, Milwakee; Peter of Alma; Fredrick, Taylor; Alvin, Blair; Franklin, Eugene, Oregon; and Arthur, Whitehall; four daughters, Mrs. Eddie (Freda) Shitaker, Fraser, Michigan; Mrs. Albin (Corinne) Anderson, Boscobel; Mrs. Martin (Rose) Frederick and Miss Helen Fredrickson, Detroit, Michigan; three brothers, Erick and Frederick of Blair and Albert of New England, North Dakota and 12 grandchildren. A sister, Hilma preceded him in death at the age of 29 and a brother died in infancy. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 1, 1948

Christen Fransen died at the home of his son, Henry Fransen, at Whitehall Friday, December 56, 1929, aged 86 years. He had suffered since Monday morning previous from a paralytic stroke which he sustained at his home east of Whitehall, where he lived alone and was found by Helmer Fremstad and brought to his son’s home to pass the few remaining days of his life. Mr. Fransen was born in Gulbrandsdalen, Ringe Boe Parish, Norway, April 5, 1843, of the parents Hans and Anna Fosenes. On May 13, 1869 he immigrated to America, arriving at LaCrosse June 23, from where he went to Coon Valley where he resided for some years. He later moved to Pigeon where he operated several different farms over a period of years. He also worked for some time on the section for the Green Bay & Western Railroad Co. when that line was built through Whitehall, and operated at different times the Tomter farm and the Van Sickle farm besides other land. In 1891 he purchased a farm which is now occupied by Arthur Drangstveit in Fly Creek, which he operated for many years before retiring from active farm life. Karina Knutson Stutlien became the wife of Christen Fransen on May 10, 1875. Six children were born to them, three of whom died in infancy and childhood. The surviving children are Henry of Whitehall; Mrs. Clarence Rudd of Charles, North Dakota; and Mrs. Torval Strand of Eau Claire. Mrs. Fransen preceded her husband in death on March 22, 1923. Funeral services were held at Whitehall Monday at the Lutheran church, Rev. Christophersen speaking in Norwegian and Rev. Maakestad in English. A male quartet consisting of Dr. Vold, Tracy Rice, Alf Wilberg and Rev. Makestad sang two Norwegian sons. Floral tributes were beautiful and memorial offerings were given as follows: Six dollars to the Old People Home at Stoughton by his surviving children; and neighbors and friends gave a sum of $9.10 to be divided equally between the Old People Home and Children’s Home at Wittenberg, Wisconsin. Pallbearers were A.O. Melby, Ludwig Solsrud, Ole Haraldsrud, Simon Pederson, Ole Galstad, and P.C. Peterson. Mr. and Mrs. Rhode were in charge of the arrangements. Mr. Fransen was a Christian man. His labors in the church are still evident on the site which is now known as Old Whitehall. He helped to establish the First Lutheran church which is now gone, and he also aided in clearing the cemetery which still is there, and where he is buried beside his wife and children. He died in the manner in which he had always lived, a Christian. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 19, 1929

Andrew G. Fredrickson, who died from leakage of the heart, December 12, was born on a farm known as Fauske in Sonfjord, Norway, May 27, 1853. In 1870, with his parents, Oline and Gunder Fredrickson, he came to the United States and settled on Big Slough in Jackson county, about four miles from Pigeon Falls, where the family lived for a short time and then bought the George Olds homestead near Pigeon Falls, residing there for many years. About the year 1889, Andrew went west, locating first at Spokane, Washington, where the same year he married Miss Andrea Johnson. After a couple of years, he moved to Helena, Montana, where for some time he was employed as watchman in the U.S. assay office. During his absence, his father bought what was known as the Comstock farm, situated in the town of Northfield, Jackson county. Andrew, being the eldest son, and considered very dependable man, it was the father’s dying wish that he should return and take over this farm. In compliance with the desire of his father, Andrew returned in 1894, and bought the farm from his mother; and here with the assistance of his prudent and hard working wife, he made a beautiful home which he occupied until about four years ago, when he bought a small farm near Pigeon Falls. Last summer he sold his farm, and while looking for another home, he was taken sick, and when the time came to give possession to the purchaser of his farm, he moved to the home of his brother, Fred Fredrickson, on Schimmerhorn, where he stayed until called to a more permanent home. His funeral was held in the U.O. church at Pigeon Falls, December 18th, Rev. Orke officiating. He leaves near relatives as follows: widow, Andria; mother Oline Fredrickson; Ole, Oliver and Fredrick, brothers; and a sister, Mrs. Tena Stendahl, all of Kalispell, Montana; sister, Mrs. Mary Stendahl of Cedro-Wooley, Washington; and two brothers, Mads and Fredrick of Northfield, Jackson county. Deceased was a man of splendid physique, and until his last sickness had never been seriously ill, except years ago when he had typhoid fever. Having passed most of his manhood years in the vicinity of Pigeon Falls, he was known to everyone for his social and sunny disposition. He was not distinguished for any brilliant characteristics or abilities, but was a most substantial citizen, frugal and industrious in his habits and exemplary in his conduct. In the days when gambling, drinking and profanity were more common in the community that at present, Andrew always maintained an unspotted manhood. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - DECEMBER 21, 1916

Andria Fredrickson was born on a farm known as Hove, in Nausdal, Sondfjord, Norway, October 23, 1859. Her parents were Johannes and Anna Hove. She came to the United States in 1886. On September 27, 1890, at Spokane, Washington, she married Andrew Fredrickson. In the spring of 1891, she and her husband moved to Helena, Montana, where Mr. Fredrickson soon found employment as watchman in the U.S. Assay office. In 1894, at the request of his father, Gunder Fredrickson, Andrew and his wife came to the town of Northfield, Jackson county, Wisconsin, and took over his father’s farm. Here they lived and prospered for nearly nineteen years. In 1913, they sold their farm to John Gilbertson and bought a small farm near Pigeon Falls. December 13, 1916, Mr. Fredrickson died leaving his widow to a life of loneliness, for their only child, Gertie Luella, born in 1893, died at the age of sixteen months. During most of her widowhood, Mrs. Fredrickson rented rooms and lived in the house occupied by Mrs. Sophia Staff at Pigeon Falls. Being by nature of a very quiet disposition and her health not good, she passed her years in a rather somber retirement. On April 3, 1933, she came to the Community Hospital of Whitehall. Here she was given the best possible care and treatment, but her ailments were of such character that she suffered much, so that her death, which occurred on June 25, was a welcome relief for all concerned. Her patience and endurance were remarkable. Her funeral was held at Pigeon Falls June 30, conducted by Revs. A.J. Oerke and Hjalmar Oerke. She now sleeps by the side of her husband in the shadow of the church, where she found most of her comfort for many years. Her nearest relatives surviving her are Anders Johnson of Eau Claire; Johannes Johnson of Stanley, and a brother, Peter Johnson, somewhere in this country, and the children of Andrew and Ole Johnson, her brothers who died several years ago near Alma Center in Jackson county. She also leaves two sisters in Norway, named Anna and Bergette. Mrs. Fredrickson’s chief qualifies may be summed up in the words: “Thrift, prudence, patience and industry.” As a sample of her thrift, I find that as executor of her husband’s estate I paid her in 1918, exactly $6,650.00. This was all she had aside from a few household goods. But nothwithstanding the infirmities and lack of education, she leaves a larger estate than she received. If all were like her, there would be no depression. Written by H.A. Anderson on July 9, 1933 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 13, 1933

N.L. Fredrickson, Sr., 90, Whitehall’s oldest man, died at the Community Hospital about 4 a.m. Monday, June 3, following an illness of several weeks. He underwent an operation at the Colonial hospital in Rochester, Minnesota about three weeks before and was brought back to the hospital here for care as soon as he had recovered sufficiently to be moved. Funeral services were held June 6 at the home and at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating, with burial in Lincoln cemetery. At the services Phillip Thomte sang “Den Store Hvide Flok” and a group from the Senior choir, including Mr. Thomte, Keil Blank, H. J. Aleckson, Harland Schaefer and Mmes. S.M. Salverson, Oscar Lovlien, H.J. Aleckson and Miss Stella Windjue sang “Rock of Ages” and “O Happy Day When We Shall Stand.” Pallbearers were L.A. Bensend, D.A. Bensend, Dr. E.O. Wilberg, Alf Wilberg., O.W. Elstad and John O. Gilbertson, and the flowers were carried by Mmes. John O. Gilbetson, H.J. Elstad, Alf Wilberg and E.L. Gilbertson. Resident of Trempealeau county for 80 years and of Whitehall for 70 years, Mr. Fredrickson was born in Oslo, Norway, January 26, 1856, the son of Fredrick Nelson and Isabelle Larson. At the age of ten he came to America with his mother and step-father, George Reitzel, his father having died. The family settled in the town of Ettrick and resided there a year before taking a farm in the town of Preston. In 1875 they moved to Whitehall, then a village less than two years old. Mr. Fredrickson’s mother taking over the operation of one of the first hotels here. In 1877 Mr. Fredrickson, who was known by the given name Lewis, joined his family in Whitehall. Meanwhile he had been working in the woods and on farms. At Whitehall he secured a job at the C.N. Paine & Co. lumber yard, which was operated by T.H. Earle, and opened for business in December 1873. Mr. Earle was the first resident of Whitehall and son-in-law of Mr. Ketchum, one of the founders of the Green Bay & Western railroad. In 1888 Mr. Fredrickson went into the hardware business, buying out the stock of Whitehall’s first hardware merchant, E.H. Warner. In 1894 he sold his stock to Blodgett & Overby. He was elected sheriff of Trempealeau County in 1892, held the office the one term allotted by state law at that time, and from 1895 through 1896, he was under-sheriff. Later he was county treasurer four years, elected in 1906, and he served as president of Whitehall’s village for two terms, elected to that office in 1893 and again in 1900. Mr. Fredrickson purchased his present farm on the south edge of Whitehall in 1894, the buildings of which are within the city limits. He married Mary Allen in 1896 and she lived with him until her death in 1902. On January 1, 1910 he married Sigrid Kildahl, also a native of Norway, who died in September 1943. Four children were born to them; Esadora, Mrs. Sidney Gilbertson of Whitehall; Louise, Mrs. Earl Berg of Terre Haute, Indiana; N.L. (Lewis) Jr., who operates the home place; and Eunice, Mrs. Douglas Mason of Whitehall. He has three grandchildren and three half-brothers, George Reitzel of Ettrick, Frank and Henry. Civic minded and active in every way until his death, Mr. Fredrickson had remained a member of the board of trustees of the Community Hospital and died on the eve of the board’s annual meeting. Among his other public activities were his services on the county board of supervisors from Whitehall and as secretary-manager for several terms of the Whitehall Cooperative Creamery. He had been a member of the Odd Fellow Lodge for over 60 years and had received his 50-year pin more than ten years ago. Mr. Fredrickson was also an active member of the Lutheran Brotherhood of Our Saviour’s Lutheran church. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 13, 1946

About three and a half years ago, when nearly eighty-nine years, just before she left for her last trip to the far west, Mrs. Fredrickson gave the following facts from her life’s history. “I was born at Fauske, Norway,August 21st, 1831. Fauske was a group of seven farmsteads. Pentecost day, in 1849, when I was between seventeen and eighteen years, I was married to Anders Gregorious Senesat, who died in January 1852. On April 5, 1863 I married Gunder Fredrickson Hjeleland. By my first husband, I had no children. By my second husband I had the following named children: Andrew, born May 27, 1852. He died December 13, 1916. Ole born September 10, 1855; Knudt, born December 18, 1857. He died April 3rd, 1910; Mads, born March 16, 1866, and Oliver, born January 5, 1868. All my children were born there. In the summer of 1870, we came to U.S. and settled on Big Slough in Jackson County, Wisconsin. My second husband died in Schimmerhorn, Jackson County, Wisconsin, July 22, 1892.” I give these dates because they are probably correct; and also because they indicate the retentive quality of her memory at such high age. I shall add to the foregoing some facts from my own knowledge of her life, not only because I find pleasure in reviewing a life so long and complete. Her second husband, Gunder Fredrickson, was my mother’s brother. In 1867 my folks decided to emigrate to U.S., but they had no money for the trip. My uncle loaned them the money as he also had come to the conclusion that this country had more to offer than our native land. After we came here, correspondence between the two families was maintained, and this and other things induced him to sell our farm in Norway and come to this country. In 1870, with wife and eight children, he came to our house on Big Slough where they stayed until fall. There were nine in our family. Our log cabin was just 13 feet by 13 feet inside, with a very low attic reached by a ladder. Fredrickson brought with him two other people whose fare he had paid. Therefore, when all were at home, that cabin had to shelter 21 people. This did not happen very often but there were at least fifteen people most of the time during the summer of 1870. And I may add an illustrative of conditions in those pioneer days that the following summer, Halvor Monson, with a family almost as numerous, found a home with us in the same little cabin. And the next summer, in 1872, came Henry Gunderson and his wife who lived with us for at least a year. In the fall of 1876 Fredrickson bought a farm on Big Slough where he built a house and lived for a short time. Later on he bought the George Olds homestead in the town of Pigeon. Here he lived for a number of years. He afterwards bought and occupied several farms in the town of Northfield, Jackson, County. He died on the farm now occupied by George Gilbertson in Schimmerhorn. After his death, Mrs. Fredrickson divided her time among her married children. She made five trips to the far West, and her last westward journey was made in company with her brother, Mads Knudtson, who went to California, and the writer and his wife. We saw her for the last time alive at Kalispel, Montana, where she had two sons and daughter at that time. During the last three years she has made her home with her two daughters at Sedro-Woolley, Washington. She died at the home of her oldest daughter, Petrina Stendal, November 13, 1920. Her last sickness lasted only about ten days and she was confined to bed only five days. She was conscious up to a few hours before she passed away. Her grandson, William Stendal, brought her body to Pigeon Falls, where she was laid away by the side of her husband. Rev. Orke ministered at the funeral which was held in the afternoon of November 19, 1923. It was a beautiful day, in harmony with her sunny life, and a goodly number of her friends and relatives followed her body to its place of rest. Her sons Mads and Fred Fredrickson were present. Her three other surviving children are Petrina Stendal and Maria Stendal of Sedro-Woolley, Washington, and Olive Fredrickson of Kalispel, Montana. I may be charged with using an extravagant statement if I say that her life was a glorious life. But I cannot conceive anything more glorious in the life of either men or women than completeness in the performance of duties and living up to all the opportunities that come within the sphere where circumstances have placed them. The humblest and the great can do no more. And this the deceased did to an extent rarely found among the men and women I have known. That she was endowed for the benefit of her home and the social circle within which she was called to act merits our highest regard and appreciation. She had not the learning of schools nor the culture we associate with men and women of aristocratic birth and affiliations - neither of which I would disparage - but she had acquired what was much more useful and essential for her station in life. She had a pleasing personality, great fluency of speech, unusual tact, a remarkable memory and above all the ability to adapt herself to all the varying circumstances of life. It has been said that a child learns more under normal circumstances during its five first years than the most extensive curriculum of a university can teach it. Mrs. Fredrickson was almost constant health and her splendid faculties for gathering and storing knowledge had ninety-two years to educate herself. And to the last she was intensely interested in ever happening around her. And now as I sit under the spell of a thousand memories of intimate associations with the departed during a period of nearly sixty years, I cannot help but recall the pleasing and entertaining qualifies of her mind and her constant tendency to gather and store up all that was brightest and best in her experiences, and let exile, ugliness and shadows fly away. Over arching every sorrow and disappointment that came to her she always saw a beautiful bow of hope or promise. So she remembered and recalled her days and years not by the gloom and darkness they left in their passing but by the light and gladness they dispensed. And from every depression in the voyage of life she rose on silver-crested billows till she reached the golden harbor of her hope and faith. Another link in a precious chain, Lies crushed by the weight of years. Only a few more links remain: Some of them dimmed by cares and tears. But I turn my glance to olden days, That lie with the ages asleep; To feel the warmth of ancient rays, That come up from the buried deep. I see, once more a brilliant chain, Of a hundred links or more; All strong and bright without a stain As they were in the days of yore. Life is as good as ever it was, And God’s glory encircles the earth But a time must come for us to pass, From fruitless age to a new birth. O, Merry laughter and blissful smile! That brightened our morning skies; Come back to cheer up a little while, Until we can say our last “Good-byes.” Written by H.A. Anderson on November 19, 1923. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - NOVEMBER 29, 1923

Mads Fredrickson was born at Fauske Sondfjord, Norway, November 27, 1859. Fauske was his mother’s ancestral farm, where a mountain brook leaped, sang and shimmered, while its waters turned wheels, pinions and spindles for home industries. He came into the world with defective vision and abnormal eyes. But his mind was alert and all his other senses keen; so he caught the songs of the brook and the music of nature in many moods, changing its minor notes into jubilant major keys. He grew as the lark grows and poured out the gladness he felt without apparent consciousness of his limitations. In 1870, he came to Pigeon valley with his parents, Gunder Fredrickson and Oline Fredrickson, and seven brothers and sisters. His subsequent life was passed in Pigeon Valley with the exception of a few years spent with his parents while they operated a hotel in Eau Claire. It was early realized that he would never be self-sustaining, although he often made money in various activities. Therefore, he always was dependent on his father as long as he lived and after that he lived with his oldest brother, Andrew. Since Andrew’s death he has been dependent on his brother, Fred, for a home. His health up to about five years ago was superb. Every chord of his being seemed to thrill to every note of joy and pleasure around him. He had no philosophy to cause him a desire to reconstruct the social fabric. His religious views were of the hopeful kind. Thus, for nearly seventy years, he lived in a world which he found good. All his yesterdays seemed pleasant and the tomorrows he left unconsidered until they came. He, like his brother, Fred, learned early to play the violin. And for fifty years or more they played together at dances, weddings and house parties. Fred, being the more exact in time and tempo, always played first and Mads second. There are hundreds still living who will tingle at the remembrances of Mads’ glowing face and the tap, tap of his feet as music converted life into a bit of paradise. He had the gift of song and a large repertoire of songs and ballads which he used freely for the delight and entertainment of thousands. He is one of few whom I have known who never used his infirmity as a lever to get help or sympathy. He scorned the idea that he needed assistance on account of his poor vision. His self-confidence almost amounted to absolute self-sufficiency. In justice to his parents and brothers and sisters, I may say that the best medical skill known was employed to correct his vision, but the results of the experiments of specialists only dimmed his eyes until finally he became almost blind. But in spite of his handicap he took a trip last summer to the Pacific coast where he visited his sisters and other relatives. His health began to fail about five years ago. In 1932, he underwent a serious operation, but there were physical complications that surgery could not remedy. Since his return from his western trip, he failed quite rapidly. On Tuesday, January 23, he entered the Community hospital at Whitehall. In the afternoon of January 30, after being in a state of coma for about three days, he passed away. I saw him last alive on January 26. It was difficult to him to talk on account of hoarseness, but he was entirely rational, hopeful of recovery and unafraid. His funeral conducted by Rev. H.A. Oerke, was held at Pigeon Falls Monday, February 3, 1934. The attendance was a generous expression of the fact that many miss his geniality and social companionship. The nearer relatives who survive are; Mrs. Tena Tendal and Mrs. Mary Stendal of Sedro Wolley, Washington, his sisters; and Fred Fredrickson of Northfield, Jackson county, and Oliver Fredrickson of Kalispel, Monana, his brothers. I have known Mr. Fredrickson intimately ever since he came to this country and appreciated his constant buoyancy and cheerfulness. In every activity of life he had to play second fiddle and seldom, if ever, was heard to complain. He was, most of his life, sunshine personified. All who loved him and were interested in his well-being I am sure are grateful to his brother, Fred, and his wife for their tender care of him during the time his health was breaking. May sweet memories long survive him. Written by H.A. Anderson, February 11, 1934 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - FEBRUARY 22, 1934

Ole Fredrickson was born in Stor Hammar, Hedemarken, Norway, March 25, 1857 and came to America May 1991. He located at Whitehall and worked at various occupations in several locations until 1896, when he purchased a farm in Curran township, Jackson county. He operated this farm for six years and then purchased the farm in Pigeon township where he made his home until he retired and moved to Whitehall about ten years ago, purchasing a home on Hobson street. Mr. and Ms. Fredrickson returned to the farm about three years ago, making their home with her son, Robert Tomten. He was married to Mrs. Mattie Tomten on October 29, 1902, who with her son Robert Tomten, survives him. Mr. Fredrickson is also survived by one daughter, Mildred, Mrs. Andrew Amble of Whitehall, and two brothers, Fred Fredrickson of Star lake and Martin Fredrickson of Norway. A son, Frederick, preceded him in death. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday, July 13, at the home of his stepson, Robert Tomten in Pigeon and at the United Lutheran church in Pigeon Falls, the Rev. H.A. Oerke in charge, assisted by his father, the Rev. A.J. Oerke, who spoke in Norwegian. The two pastors sang, “Jeg Ved en Vel, Saa Fuld of Trangsel.” Undertaker E.A. Sletteland was in charge of the funeral. Flowers were carried by Ruth, Fern, Robert and Donald Tomten, grandchildren of Mr. Fredrickson and pallbearers were old friends and neighbors, Martin and Olaf Hagen, George Gilbertson, Carl Klomsten, Helmer and Melvin Monson. A substantial amount of money was given to benevolent organizations of the church in honor of Mr. Fredrickson by friends, neighbors and relatives. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 15 AND 22, 1937

Mrs. Ole Fredrickson, nee Mattie Thorson, died suddenly of a heart attack at the home of her son, Robert Tomten, in the town of Pigeon at 1:15 a.m. Saturday, January 3, 1942. She was 75 years old. Deceased, daughter of Torger and Regina Thorson, was born in Norway December 8, 1866, and came to America with her parents when she was nine years old. They located in Pigeon Falls, where Mrs. Fredrickson had resided continuously the past 66 years with the exception of a few years that she made her home in Whitehall. She was confirmed in the S.L. church at Pigeon Falls by the Rev. Emanuel Christophersen when she was 16 years old. Her first husband, Gilbert Tomten, passed away in 1900. In 1902 she married Ole Fredrickson. To this union, two children were born, Fredrick, who died December 19, 1920 and Mildred, Mrs. Andrew Amble, now living at Black River Falls. Mr. Fredrickson died in 1927. She leaves to mourn her sudden departure her son, Robert Tomten of Pigeon Falls; daughter, Mildred of Black River Falls; seven grandchildren; two brothers, Martin Thorson of Osseo and Theodore Thorson of Harshaw, Wisconsin; and four sisters, Mrs. John Tomten of Pigeon Falls, Mrs. Melvin Thorpen of Osseo; Mrs. Gilbert Neperud of Osseo ad Mrs. Martin Olson of Osseo. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 15, 1942

The death of Fred Fredrickson of Schimmerhorn Valley removed one of the few remaining pioneer citizens of that community. A native of Norway and being among the immigrants to this county in the early 70’s, he experienced the hardships of the pioneer days which we of this modern age are convinced had a tendency to develop sturdy men and women. To those who knew Mr. Fredrickson it is evident that as a youth he adopted a philosophy of life which he followed assiduously: Refrain from discussing the faults of others; buy nothing one can not afford; keep out of debt; if a promise is made, keep it; and to create wealth, exert honest endeavor. If Mrs. Fredrickson could not speak a good word for a person, he kept silent; he was frugal but he gave his family all the necessities of life and as many of the luxuries as he could afford; he was one who avoided debts; his word was dependable and through his industry, assisted by a dutiful wife and worthy children, he built a modern farm home and had accumulated other wealth before death called him from his family circle. No acquaintance would hesitate to say that his was a successful life, and one that was guided by a strict moral code. Mr. Fredrickson was born in Sondfjord, Norway, December 12, 1861, a son of Gunder Fredrickson Hjelmeland and Oline Fauske. The family came to America in 1870, and arrived in Big Slough, Jackson county, on July 4th of that year. Fred grew to maturity in that community and when a young man he went west. He was employed in Missoula, Montana, and it was there that he was united in marriage to Miss Selma Simonsen, who also had lived in the Pigeon Valley, December 31, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson established a home in Missoula and remained there until the following year when they returned home and assumed the management of his father’s farm, which is now owned by John Gilbertson of Schimmerhorn Valley. Two years later Fred and his wife bought eighty acres of land near his father’s farm where he lived until death took him from earthly toil. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson: Ernest of Northfield and George and Hazel at home. He is survived by his widow, three children, one granddaughter, Eunice Fredrickson and two sisters, Mmes. Petrina and Mary Stendahl of the state of Washington. His parents and five brothers preceded him in death. Throughout his life, Mr. Erickson was blessed with a rugged constitution and good health. During the past winter he suffered a sick spell, but his ailment was not considered serious. He recovered rapidly and apparently was in good health until May 15, when he was taken suddenly ill. A physician was called who advised hospital treatment and he was brought to the Whitehall Community Hospital where it was found that he had peritonitis. His suffering was alleviated as much as possible but he died Friday evening, May 17, at seven o’clock. Funeral services, which were held May 21 at the home and the Lutheran church in Pigeon Falls, were largely attended. The Revs. A.J. and H.A. Oerke conducted the last rites and paid tribute to the deceased, who long had been a faithful member of the congregation. Undertaker E. A. Sletteland was in charge of arrangements. Burial took place in the U.L. church cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - June 6, 1935

Andrew O. Fremstad passed away at his son’s home in Pigeon Falls Friday Morning, August 17. He had been in poor health for several years but was confined to bed only the last two weeks. Funeral services were held at the U.L. Church Monday, August 20, the Rev. A.J. Oerke officiating. Six of his grandsons acted as pallbearers. Andrew, the oldest son of Ole A. Fremstad and his wife, Inger, was born in Sondre Land, Norway, February 20, 1849, where he grew to manhood. In 1871 he left for the United States. His parents had gone two years before. He came to Coon Valley, Vernon county, Wisconsin, where for three years he worked on farms. On February 13, 1874, he married Emelia Christianson of Coon Valley. The same spring they homesteaded 80 acres of land in Fuller Coulee, town of Pigeon, near his parents’ home. Here they went thought the hardship of pioneer life, breaking up new land to build a home and reared a family of nine children. They finally succeeded so they could spend their old age in comfort, although not in riches. They lived on the farm until 1920, when he sold the place to his son Karl and moved to Pigeon Falls, where his son, Anton, had built a comfortable home. An unmarried daughter, Anna also made her home with them and took exceptionally good care of her parents. His wife preceded him in death June 7, 1932. He leaves the following children to mourn his departure: Karl, on the home farm, Anton, Anna and Marie (Mrs. Ole Olson) of Pigeon Falls; Emma, Mrs. Olaf Hagen, of the town of Curran; Josephine, Mrs. Magnus Sagen, of Hale; 15 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. Of his nine brothers and sisters, the following are living: H.P. Fremstad and Mrs. Sarah Refsnes of Pigeon Falls; Anna, Mrs. H.A. M. Steen of Northfield; Mrs. Inga Klandrud of Galesvile and Mrs. Marie Ekern of Flandreau, South Dakota. Three children preceded him in death. Otto and Anna died in infancy and Ole died in 1895, at the age of 20 years. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 30, 1934

Emelia Caroline Peterson was born in Oslo, Norway, June 16, 1849. Her parents were Hans and Karen Peterson. She came to America when she was four years old. In 1853 her parents moved to Muskego, later to Coon Prairie and then to Coon Valley. She lived there until her marriage to Andreas Fremstad, February 13 1874. They moved to Pigeon Falls and settled in Fuller coulee where they lived 46 years. Twelve years ago they retired and moved into the village where they have since resided. Mr. and Mrs. Fremstad had nine children, three of whom are name: namely, Ole, Anna and Otto. The living children are Carl, Anton, Emma, Mrs. Olof Hagen; Marie, Mrs. Ole Olson; Josephine, Mrs. Magnus Sagen and Anna. Mrs. Fremstad had three sisters and three brothers. Two of her sisters are living; namely, Mrs. Ed Anderson of Minneapolis and Ms. Emil Halvorson of Coon Valley. Death called Mrs. Fremstad June 7, 1932, at the age is 82 years, 11 months and 21 days. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 16, 1932

Christ O. Fremstad, who has been a resident of the town of Pigeon for 57 years, passed away at the Community hospital in Whitehall Saturday July 7, 1928, at the age of 72 years and 11 months. Mr. Fremstad was taken sick about three weeks before his death. A complication of diseases set in and he was removed to the hospital, where everything that skill and love could do was done for him, but he gradually failed until death relieved him from the suffering. The funeral services were held from the Union Lutheran church in Pigeon Falls on Wednesday afternoon, July 18, which were conducted by Rev. A.J. Oerke in Norwegian and by Rev. E. Chrstophersen in English. Mrs. Sletteland rendered a vocal solo. Interment was made in the church cemetery. There was a very large attendance of sympathizing friends and relatives. Pallbearers were his four sons and two of his sons-in-law, Eleck Gobia and Harold Hagen. Mr. Fremstad was born in Sondre Land, Norway, August 8, 1855, the son of Ole and Inger Fremstad. In 1869 he came with his parents to this country locating in Coon Valley, where they stayed for two years where he was confirmed. In 1871 he moved with his parents to the town of Pigeon, where he helped them build up a nice farm. During winter he worked in the woods, which was usual in those days, and brought his hard eared money home to his father. In 1880 he bought 80 acres of land near his father’s farm, in what is known as Fuller Coulee where he has resided up to the time of his father’s death. On June 17, 1882 he was married to Bastena Moen who survives him with four boys, Oscar, Torald, Helmer and George, all of the town of Pigeon, and five daughters, Amatee, Mrs. Peter Skoien; Inga, Mrs. Almer Dahl; Selma, Mrs. Ferdinand Estenson; Agnes, Mrs. Harold Hagen all of Pigeon and Clara, Mrs. Ella Gobis of LaCrosse. All his children were present both at his death and funeral. He is also survived by 21 grandchildren, two brothers and four sisters. He was member of the Lutheran church from his boyhood and the principles of his sterling character were founded in his Christian faith. Mr. Fremstad was held in warm esteem by the many who had known him during his many years of residence in Pigeon. He was a devoted husband and father, who gave all his time and energy for the welfare and the comfort of his loved ones and by hard work and good management, built up a good and comfortable home for them. Best of all, he reared his children to be Christian boys and girls. It is difficult to find a family where such comradeship ruled as in his family and very seldom is a father so sorely missed as he is by his wife and children. He was a genial and friendly neighbor, one who was ever ready to lend a helping hand to those about him. He was loyal to his church and adopted country and through all his life, he sought to faithfully fulfill the responsibilities which devolved upon him as a man and citizen. His wife and children and other relatives have the deepest sympathy of all in their sorrow. Undertaker E.A. Sletteland had charge of the funeral. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 26, 1928

Mrs. Chris Fremstad, resident of Fuller coulee in the town of Pigeon for more than 50 years, died at her home Friday afternoon, September 9, relieved of the intense suffering which she had endured patiently for may years. Funeral services were held Wednesday, September 14, at the United Lutheran church preceded by services at the home, the Rev. H.A. Oerke officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. Six grandsons served as pallbearers, LeRoy and Harvey Gobis of LaCrosse, Palmer Skoyen of Eleva, Floyd Estenson and Thurman Fremstad of Pigeon Falls and Clifford Fremstad of Winona. Miss Nina Dahl of Whitehall, Miss Helen Gobis of LaCrosse, Miss Beatrice Fremstad, Irene Dahl, granddaughters, carried flowers. Mrs. Fremstad, as Bastine Moen, was born in Ringebo, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, October 22, 1862, a daughter of Torger and Anne Fransen Moen. She was baptized and confirmed in Faavang church and came with her parents to America in 1879. She was united in marriage to Christian O. Fremstad on June 17, 1882, and they settled on the present homestead in Fuller Coulee, where she lived until her death. Mr. Fremstad died July 7, 1928, and a daughter, Mrs. Peter (Amalie) Skoyen, died in 1929. An infant also preceded her in death. Mrs. Fremstad is survived by the following children: Oscar, Fuller Coulee; Mrs. Elmer (Inga Dahl and Torval Fremstad, Pigeon Falls; Helmer Fremstad, Whitehall; Mrs Alex (Clara) Gobis, LaCrosse; Mrs. Ferdinand (Selma) Estenson, Fitch Coulee, and George and Mrs. Agnes Hagen, who reside on the home farm. She is also mourned by 24 grandchildren, five great-grandchidlren, and two brothers, Fred Moen of Milwaukee and Anton Moen of LaCrosse. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - SEPTEMBER 29, 1938

Erick Fredrickson, 92, died Saturday morning (January 21, 1956) at the Lutheran hospital at LaCrosse, following surgery. Fredrickson was born July 3, 1863 in Vermeland, Sweden, son of Fredrick and Caroline Olson. He came to America with his parents at the age of six, settling in Reynolds Coulee. He was confirmed in 1878 by the Rev. A.L. Lobben. As a young man he worked in pineries and later engaged in farming. He also engaged for some time in carpentry. He married Anna Maria Mattison, September 27, 1906. She died in 1947. Funeral services were held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Zion Lutheran church. The Rev. E.E. Olson officiated and burial was in the church cemetery. Survivors are two sons, Herman and Paul on the home farm, three daughters, Mrs. Milo (Agnes) Guderian, Mrs. Calmer (Elsie) Nelson, both of Minneapolis and Mrs. E.L. (Florence) Robinson, Missoula, Montana; six grandchildren and two brothers, Fredrick of Blair and Albert, Upton, Wyoming. A son Ernest died in 1920 and a brother and a sister preceded him in death. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 26, 1956

Mrs. H.P. Fremstad passed away at her home in Pigeon Falls Sunday morning, June 14, 1925, following a lingering illness of about seven months. Last November she submitted to an operation at the Whitehall hospital, but the ailment was found to be of such a character that a surgical performance would be of no avail. Mrs. Elizabeth Iverson Fremstad was born in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, April 28, 1872, daughter of O.F. and Martha Iverson, who preceded her in death some years ago. Coming with her parents to Black River Falls at the age of 2 ˝ years, where she lived and grew to womanhood. She was united in marriage at her home in Black River Falls to H.P. Fremstad of Pigeon Falls, June 8, 1895, by Rev. N.A. Giere, pastor of the Lutheran church of that place of which church she was an active member. After coming to Pigeon Falls she became a member of the U.L. church in that village and was always an active member up to the time of her death and especially in the Ladies Aid where her place will be vacant. Mrs. Fremstad was a splendid type of woman, a good wife and mother and an exceptionally good homemaker, who has few equals. She was greatly beloved by her family and all who knew her. She was conscious up to the hour of her death and had made all arrangements in regard to pallbearers, also hymns she wished sung. The funeral was held at the U.L. church Wednesday, June 17, where the services were very ably conducted by Rev. Oerke and Rev. Christophersen under the supervision of E.A. Sletteland, undertaker. The remains were laid to rest in the Pigeon Falls cemetery. The day showed how highly she was regarded in the community as the capacity of the church was overcrowded by relatives and friends from far and near, who came to pay their last respect to the deceased. Rev. Oerke officiated in the Norwegian language and Rev. Christophersen spoke in the English language, both paying tribute to the diseased. The pallbearers were her three sons, Oswell, Edwin and Lester, her son-in-law, Paul Evenson, her brother, Oscar Iverson and her nearest neighbor, John Skadahl. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, H.P. Fremstad; three sons, Oswell, Edwin and Lester; one daughter, Mrs. Paul Evenson, all of the town of Pigeon, one brother, Oscar, of Chicago, Illinois; two sisters, Mrs. A.A. Johnson of North Freedom and Mrs. Clyde Erickson of Chisholm, Minnesota, all of whom were present at the funeral. A dear one from us is gone, A voice we love is still A place is vacant in our home, That never can be filled. THE WHITEHALL TIMES (DATE UNKNOWN)

Inger Fremstad died at the home of her son, H.P. Fremstad, in Pigeon Falls March 26, and was buried in the U.L. cemetery March 31, Rev. Orke officiating. The pallbearers she had selected before she died were her three sons, Andrew, Christ and H.P. Fremstad, her two sons-in-law, H.A.M. Steen and Christ Refsnes and her grandson, Olger Steen. The church was filled with relatives and friends who came to pay their last respects to “Grandma” as she was generally called. The casket was covered with a beautiful display of flowes. Inger Fremstad was born Sondre Land, Norway, November 16, 1826. In 1849, she was married to Ole A. Fremstad, who died six years ago. In Norway the following children were born to them: Mrs. Edwin Rise, who is still in Norway; Mrs. John Solberg of Rapid City, South Dakota; Mrs. Mark Ekern of Flandreau, South Dakota; Andrew, Christ, Mrs. Christ Refsnes of Pigeon Falls; Mrs. H.A.M. Steen of Northfield; Mrs. Charles Klandrud of Galsville and Agnette, who died in infancy. In 1869 they emigrated to the United States and came to Coon Valley, where their youngest son, H.P. Fremstad, of Pigeon Falls was born. In the spring of 1871 they moved to Fuller coulee in the town of Pigeon, and were among the first settlers there. Her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, has helped to build a good many houses in Pigeon, and made a lot of furniture for same. By hard work and lots of hardship which was the lot of early settlers, they made for themselves a nice home, where both she and her husband spent their last years in comfort, surrounded by those who, with loving hands did all in their power to make their last days as pleasant as possible. Mrs. Fremstad was a good Christian woman, pleasant to meet, and through all her life was always willing to give a helping hand to the needy. She was a devoted wife and mother, and leaves besides her nine children, 56 grandchildren and 43-great-grandchildren. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - APRIL 16,1916

Hans Anderson Fremstad was born in Land, Norway, November 6, 1839, and died at the home of his son, Albert, in the town of Pigeon, June 21, 1924. It was in the days of slow travel when Fremstad in company with his parents, Anders and Ingeborg Christopherson, came to the U.S.; for they left the city of Drammen, Norway, June 10, 1857, and did not reach Quebec till October 18. Their ship “Flora” with its cargo of about five hundred emigrants met adverse winds, calms and storms which tested all the resources of crew and passengers. From Quebec they came to Coon Valley, Vernon county, Wisconsin. There they stayed for about thirteen years. There Mr. Fremstad met and married Andrina Nelson Klomsten in 1863. From this union were born nine children of whom two died in infancy. Soon after their marriage Fremstad became a soldier in the Civil War in Company K, of the 46th Wisconsin infantry. In 1870, accompanied by his family and parents, he established his residence in the town of Pigeon, this county, on the farm which continued to be his home until the final call. January 10, 1901, he sold his farm to his sons, Albert and Anton. Before the sale of his farm, his wife had become a sufferer from a mental disorder which continued more or less until her death October 6, 1916. Between the years 1900 and 1914, Mr. Fremstad made six trips to Norway. He was a man of great mental and physical vigor up to about two years ago. From that time he declined gradually and required much care and attention. And, as the writer is informed and believes, the deceased was fortunate in receiving the services he needed from a patient, noble and efficient woman in the person of his son’s wife, Mrs. Albert Fremstad. To deal with helpless infancy and the feebleness and querulousness of old age is the lot of many of our best women. It is a task which most men dodge and only a few could perform with the tenderness and graciousness of a good woman. Funeral services for the deceased were held June 26, in the Lower Pigeon Falls church, conducted by Rev. Orke. There was a large attendance of friends and neighbors. The children who survive him are: Albert and Anton Fremstad, two of the most prosperous farmers in Pigeon; Ida Nering, Hanna Monson; Nettie Holmen and Christina Knudtson, all of Pigeon and Clara Torgerson of Minneapolis. All were present at the funeral. If a man’s success can be measured by the character of his children, then we may pronounce the career of Hans Fremstad successful. The writer having known Mr. Fremstad ever since he came to Pigeon could, perhaps, give a fairly correct summary of his chief characteristics, for Mr Fremstad was during his active years - which were many - an outstanding character in his community. His personality was strong and impressive, but he was too individualistic to fuse readily with those he came in contact with. Two incidents from his life will illustrate his character more vividly than a lengthy characterization. It is still remembered by a few of the earliest settlers that in pioneer times in Pigeon as well as in surrounding settlements, that it was customary for two or more farmers to get together and haul hay to the pineries to be exchanged for lumber. A load of hay - usually wild hay - would purchase all the lumber a team could haul. It was about the year 1871 Mr. Fremstad and three other sturdy pioneers met to arrange for a trip to some mill east of Humbird. Here is a part of their talk: Mrs. F.: “Well then let us meet at Tomten’s four o’clock Tuesday morning.” Mr. K.: “That is too darned early.” The other two men shook their heads, but said thing. Mr. F.: “But you must remember boys the snow is deep and drifted and we are liable to have more than one tip-over and we must get to the mill in time to unload and load up again or we won’t get home the next day.” After a few more words of parley, the suggestion of Mr. F. prevailed for his was the dominant will in the group of strong men. On parting Fremstad, went down in the valley and the others walked up the valley for a short distance together and as they walked they discussed their prospective trip. Mr. K. who prided himself - and justly - on never taking second place in any work or adventure where brawn and mettle were called for, was heard to remark: “I have been out with a good many hardy men, on sea and land, in my time, and never been backward about taking either end of any job that came along, but this Mr. F. is one of the hardest pushers I have met.” Thirty years later when Mr. F. decided to turn his farm over to his boys he selected Anton Ekern, Gilbert Steig and the writer to appraise the farm and all that was to go with it. In a general way we were all acquainted with the value of the land so when we met we gave our particular attention to the appraisal of the improvements and personal property. After several hours of careful examination, we agreed on a moderate price, for we knew the boys had contributed much to the upbuilding and accumulation of the property. When it came to the making of the conveyance, Mr. F. discounted our valuation two thousand dollars or more. The unique method employed in fixing the value of the property conveyed and his fairness in cutting our valuation in recognition of the faithful services his sons had given him, gave the transaction a pleasing aspect which will always linger in memory. But the most striking impression received that day was from the order, system and harmonious arrangement of everything about the place. From the grub-pile in the field corner to the woodpile behind the house, everything presented order and neatness. This beautiful condition of orderliness may have resulted from the work of the boys and other members of the family, but, whence came the inspiration and training? Written by H.A. Anderson, June 29, 1924 THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 3, 1924

Matt Frujordet, 74, passed away Friday, March 3, 1939 at his home near Chapultepec having been in failing health since Christmas. He had been confined to his bed for two weeks. Mr. Frujordet was born in Faaberg, Norway, February 2, 1865. He came to America at the age of 19, settling first in Pigeon Falls. For the past 33 years, he lived in the town of Ettrick on his farm near Chapultepec. In 1905 he was united in marriage to Martha Swenson, also a native of Norway. He was a member of the French Creek Lutheran church. Three sisters and a brother, all in Norway, preceded him in death. He is survived by his wife and a son, Olaf, who operates the home farm. Funeral services were held Monday at the home and at the French Creek Lutheran church, the Rev. Johan Olsen officiating. Burial was in the French creek cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 9, 1939

Mathias Johnson Fremstad was born in Biri, Norway, May 18, 1858. He came with his parents, Johannes J. and Karen Fremstad, to Vernon county, Wisconsin in 1867 and to Pigeon in 1868. For a short time they lived on the farm now owned by John A. Berge in Tuff coulee and from there they moved to the place since always occupied by the parents and son until called to their final rest. The father died in 1872, the mother, after 35 years of widowhood, in 1907, and the subject of this sketch May 18, 1924. At the time of his father’s death, Mathias was only 14 years of age, but the oldest of the five children then living, there came a burden far too great for his age; for the father left no estate for the support of his family. But somehow, with the aid and advice of kind neighbors, they held on to the land they had settled on and in time managed to pay for it. To the last Mathias stood nobly by his mother and his brothers and sisters until able to care for themselves. “Matt” as he was familiarly known grew up tall, straight, slender and lithe as an Indian warrior. As he matured he became a man’s man in the finest sense of that term. Among his comrades and associates of both sexes, he was outrivaled by none in popularity. But his popularity was of the kind that begot neither envy or jealousy, for it came from his character of gentleness, urbanity and unselfishness. To more faithfully perform the duties that had been thrust upon him at the threshold of youth, he remained unmarried until he was nearly 44 years. On February 20, 1902, he was married to Helga Lund, and from this union were born the following named children: Joseph, Hazel, Hansel, Lilah and Vilas, all of whom survive him. Joseph has a position in Minneapolis as stenographer for a railroad company. The other children live with their mother on the farm. For a year or more, the deceased realized that the time for the final summons was near and made due preparations to answer when it came. He passed away on his 66th birthday, loved and revered by his family and respected by his neighbors. A sweeter, better reward can come to no one in our mortal state. Besides his widow and children, who will miss him, he is survived by his brothers, John and Stener of Winegar, Wisconsin; and his sister, Ingeborg Peterson of the Town of Preston, this county. His sister, Caroline, died some years ago at City Point, Wisconsin. His funeral was held in the Lower church at Pigeon Falls May 21, Rev. Orke officiating. There was a full attendance of sympathetic friends and neighbors. The widow, children, brothers and sister were all present. In closing this sketch I cannot refrain from recalling most vividly the comradeship and friendship that sprang up 56 years ago between the deceased and two other boys of about the same sage. The other parties to this comradeship were Ole Erickson and Andrew Gunderson. They were for many years closer than brothers and sought every possible opportunity to be together. Written by H.A. Anderson THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MAY 29, 1924

Mathias Fryslie, who would have been 85 had he lived until February 10, died at his home in the town of Lincoln, Sunday morning, January 31, at 12:15. He had been sick and confined to his bed the past 4 ˝ years. Funeral services were held Tuesday at the Rhode Chapel in Whitehall and at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Burial was in Old Whitehall cemetery. Mr. Fryslie was born February 10, 1858 in Land, Norway. He came to America at the age of 19 years, coming directly to Trempealeau county. He was employed in the Whitehall vicinity, but following his marriage in 1888 to Bernice Larson, he settled on what is now the Jimmie Witt farm in Maule coulee, which he purchased. The couple lived on this farm for seven years and then sold it to the late Pete Christianson, after which they purchased the place that has remained their home ever since. No children were born to this union. However, Bennie Skjonsby, though not legally adopted has made his home with them since he was small and has been like a son to them. His wife survives. He was preceded in death by his five brothers and sisters. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - FEBRUARY 4, 1943

Bardo O. Fuglem was born in Selbu, Norway November 17, 1858. His parents were Ole Svendsen Fuglem and Guro Aune Fuglem. He came to America in 1882 arriving at Minneapolis. In the spring of 1897, Mr. Fuglem, with his sister Gunhild, settled on a farm in Trump Coulee where he since has resided. In 1909, his brothers, Nils, and sister, Annie, came to America to make their home with him. His sister, Gunhild, passed away in 1912. Mr. Fuglem was quiet and unassuming. He was a faithful Christian, a good neighbor and friend, always willing to help and give to the best of his ability. In 1917 Mr. Fuglem suffered a broken hip which left him crippled and a great sufferer with rheumatism. In July he was taken sick and on August 1st, he was taken to the Community hospital where he remained for nearly four weeks. He then wished to return home to be cared for by his faithful brother and sister. He passed away September 24, 1932 of cardiac discomfiastian. Funeral services were conducted September 27th by Rev. O. O. Lavaas at the Lutheran church at Taylor of which he was a member. Interment was made at the Trump Coulee cemetery. Pallbearers were L.H. Durrom, Arnt Johnson, C.T. Christianson, P.P. Olson, J.C. Halvorson and Peter Granlund. Flower bearers were Alydia Johnson, Adella Christianson, Mrs Nick Tormoen and Mrs. Orrin P. Granlund. The community extends sympathy to the bereaved brother and sister. Blessed be the memory of H.O. Fuglem. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 6, 1932

Anton Nilson Freng was born in Brottom, Norway, on July 31, 1852, and died at his home in South Valley, town of Summer, on November 6, 1933, having lived 81 years, three months and six days. Mr. Freng lived with his parents, Nils and Bertha Haagenson, in his native land until he was 21 years old. There he received his schooling and early religious training. He was confirmed by Rev. Lygn. He learned the painting trade under Master Erick Alm. In 1873, the family immigrated to America, stopping at Chicago for a few weeks and then making their home in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. After thee years, during which time he followed his trade, he moved with his parents to the Phillip Johnson farm in Golden valley, which farm his father had purchased. In 1879 he was united in marriage to Louise Pederson and shortly thereafter, the young couple moved to the Beret Mikkelson farm in Hale, where they resided until 1884, when they moved to and settled on their present homestead in the town of Sumner, where they have since resided. Mr. Freng died suddenly on the morning of November 6th, and he leaves to mourn him, his beloved wife, three sons, nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He was laid to rest on November 9th in the South Valley cemetery, located on a corner of his own farm. Funeral services were conducted by his pastor, Rev. O.C. Aune of Osseo. Music was furnished by the local South Valley choir and by the men’s chorus from Osseo, which chorus was conducted by Rev. Rasmussen. The funeral services were impressive and beautiful. The tribute paid by the pastor and the lovely music were a fitting symbol of his life. His body was borne on its final resting place by Anton Haaugen, Rudolph Holmen, Matt Lunde, Ed Haagen, Tom Lomsdahl and J. Reese Jones. A.N. Freng was a man of action. He served as assessor his town for eight years and as chairman for twenty years. He served on his school district board for many years, was an organizer and director of the Osseo Canning Company, and served for thirty years as director and agent for the Pigeon Mutual Fire Insurance Company. While he was a member of the county board, he served on the county highway committee. He was secretary of the South Valley church for the past 45 years. Mr. Freng was the leader in his community. He was endowed with more than ordinary amount of common sense ad courage. His neighbors depended upon his counsel. He was a man of sterling character. He had a kind and jovial disposition. He was loved and respected by all who knew him well. His oft repeated phrase, “Another of our old and venerable pioneers has gone to his well-earned rest” has again come true, and may we add that the greatest of them all has gone. He was indeed a great man. Coming from a foreign country at the age of 21, not knowing a world of English and having had but little schooling, he rose to heights and power unsurpassed by many who had much greater advantages. He was great because he had ability, because he was honest and sincere. He expended his energies in the right direction, for the betterment and advancement of his community and country. The world is better for his having lived. We mourn for him and we shall miss him. He filled a place in our community that will never be refilled and it is with feeling of great sorrow and sadness that we pay this final tribute to him. Written by J. Reese Jones. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - NOVEMBER 15, 1933

Stricken with apoplexy June 10, 1916, Grandpa Fristad died at Vera, near Spokane, Washington, June 14, was the message received by H.A. Anderson last Thursday morning. Bendik Fristad was born in Sonfjord, Norway, August 3, 1833. In 1853, he married Katrina Nes, who died near Spokane about two year ago. In 1872, with his wife and seven children, he came to the United States and settled on Big Slough about four miles east of Pigeon Falls. From there he moved to Humbird, Clark county, in 1899, where he lived until 1905, when he took up his home in Washington. Six children survive him, namely: Mrs. Oline Anderson and Nicolai Fristad of this village; Mrs. Hansine Godrey, Mrs. Ovidia Hanson and Nels Fristad who reside at Vera, Washington; and one son, Edward, living in California. A daughter, Mrs. Bendikka Nelson and an unmarried son, Iver, died many years ago. Mr. Fristad belonged to the pioneer type of our citizenship. Although small in stature, he possessed a fund of working strength and endurance that was almost marvelous. All who knew him during his long life bear testimony to his persistent toil and the perennial suniness of his disposition. “There wasn’t a lazy bone in his body nor a dishonest grain in his make up,” would be the unpolished but heartfelt compliment of his pioneer neighbors. Though a man of astute intelligence, and a character never marred by a vice, he reached none of the higher places, socially, financially and politically. Nevertheless, viewed from the standpoint of devotion to every duty that called him, his life was eminently successful. Blessed with health beyond man’s common portion, he continued up to the very hour he was stricken, to follow the oldest commandment: “In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, ‘til thou return unto the ground.” His memory blesses all who knew him. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JUNE 22, 1916

From a telegram received last week, it appears that Mr. Fristad died at his brother Ed’s place near Live Oak, California, November 24, 1920. Mr. Fristad, who for many years was a familiar figure on our streets, was born in Sondfjord, Norway, April 27, 1858; came to the United States in 1872 with his parents, who settled in what was then the town of Hixton, Jackson county. Like most boys of his day he worked for many years on farms in summer and in the woods in winter. September 3, 1887, he married in this village Betsey Eimon and for some years owned and lived in the house now owned and occupied by Hans Haugh. He afterwards bought a small farm, now part of the county asylum farm, where he made his home for a few years. In 1900 he moved to Humbird, Clark county, purchasing a farm near the village, where his former wife and children still live. Since 1906 he made his home most of the time with H.A. Anderson, his brother-in-law, in this village. Last winter he had a severe attack of the “flu” from which he never recovered. With the hope of finding relief in an equable climate, he went to Vera, Washington, where two of his sisters and a brother are living. On the advice of his doctor he moved to California November 14th. He leaves to mourn his loss five children, two brothers, three sisters and a host of friends where was best known. He will find his final resting place by the side of his father and mother at Vera, Washington. Mr. Fristad’s most distinguishing traits were absolute integrity and unswerving fidelity to every task he undertook. His word was always as good as a bond. None knew his good qualities better and none will miss him more keenly than the family with whom he made his home during the past fourteen years. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - DECEMBER 2, 1920

Funeral services were conducted Monday, July 15, 1963 at 2 o’clock in the afternoon from the Evangelical Lutheran Church for Mrs. Annetta Frederikson, whose passing occurred Saturday noon, July 13, 1963 at the Krohn Hospital. The Rev. T.A. Rykken officiated, paying a very fitting tribute to the deceased, who had been a member of the church and a very valued worker with the church and its many activities for many years. The marble altar at the church was given some years ago by Mr. and Mrs. Frederikson for the new building. The pallbearers were Art Solberg, Norman Larkin, Oswald Johnson, Erwin Homstad, John Rulland and Garth Thomas. Miss Betty Larson was the soloist and Mrs. Bert Engebretson the organist. Interment was made in Riverside Cemetery. The Torgerson Funeral Service had charge of the arrangements. Annetta Kvennes was born at Black River Falls, April 26, 1889. Her father, Ole Peterson Kvennes and his wife, whose maiden name was Anna Hagen, were prominent residents of this city for many years. Mrs. Frederikson made and kept many friendships and was very well acquainted throughout the area where so many had gained her acquaintance during the years she clerked at the People’s Drug Store, the Sechler Store and the Frederikson Store. Her cheerful personality will be missed by legions of friends as well as by her immediate family. She was married in December of 1914 to William Trygg, who preceded her in death many years ago. She was married in December of 1914 to William Trygg, who preceded her in death many years ago. On October 18, 1939, she was united in marriage with A.H. Frederikson, of Black River Falls, and they filled a prominent role in the affairs of this community until his passing occurring January 15, 1955. They enjoyed many summers at their cottage at Hatfield and had a wonderful time on a trip back to Mr. Frederikson’s native Sweden just a few years prior to his death. They were noted for hospitality of the finest quality and there are many who have enjoyed her excellent cooking and entertaining. Others will never forget the artistry she always had when she prepared lovely fruit sunshines for many occasions. Her passing occurred at the Krohn Hospital where she had been a patient just one day following a heart attack suffered Friday at her home. The sympathy of all goes out to the bereaved family which is handicapped at this time due to the serious illness of her son, Art, who is confined at the local hospital with a heart condition. He has been told of Mrs. Frederikson’s passing but still is not allowed any visitors and it appears he will have to be completely restricted for quite some time. She is survived by one son, Arhur, Black River Falls; five grandchildren, John, James, Alice, David and Peter; two sisters, Olga, Mrs. Harvey Stone of Greenbush, Minnesota; and Petra, Mrs. Henry Redstone of Warwick, Rhode Island; five nieces and six nephews. She was preceded in death by two sisters, one in infancy and Mae, Mrs. John Hamm and by two brothers, Aaron and Adolph Kvennes. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

Anton H. Fremstad, proprietor of Corn and Clover Farm in sections 4 and 9, Pigeon Township, was born in section 4, town 22, range 7 west, just north of his present farm, August 5, 1873, son of Hans A. and Andrena (Nilson) Fremstad. The father was born in Nordland, Norway in 1838 and came to the United States in 1857, settling in Vernon County, Wisconsin from which place he came to Trempealeau County in 1871, accompanied by his wife and children then born. He bought a farm in section 4, Pigeon Township, and cultivated it until he sold out to his two sons, Albert H. and Anton H. He still, however, resides on the old homestead. His wife, Andrena, who was born in Norway in 1834, died October 1, 1916. Anton H. Fremstad was the first child born to his parents after they came to Trempealeau County. He worked for his father until the year 1900 and then, with is brother Albert, purchased the homestead, the two brothers operating it in partnership until 1906. They then bought the farm now owned by Anton H. and operated the entire property until the spring of 1915, at which time they dissolved partnership and divided it, Anton taking the farm he now has, and which consists of 120 acres, 40 acres of which lie in section 4 and the remainder in section 9. The buildings on the property include two houses, one of seven rooms and the new modern home just completed of 10 rooms. Hot water heat, water system, electric light, bath and all complete. The barn is 32 by 50 by 12 feet, with an 8-foot basement and concrete floors, and a concrete silo, 14 by 30 feet, built in 1912, all the buildings being substantial and in good condition. Mr. Fremstad was vice-president of the Pigeon Grain and Stock Company, and has been its president for the last three years. As one of the responsible citizens of his township, he has devoted some time to public affairs, having served three years as township supervisor, and he is also a trustee of the Norwegian Lutheran Church, to which he and his family belong. His wife, to whom he was united April 11, 1908, was in maidenhood, Christine F. Lovlien and was born in Pigeon Township, November 28, 1885. Her parents were natives of Norway, the father, Frederick Lovlien, who was born in 1840, settling in Pigeon Township, this county, in 1872 and residing here engaged in agriculture until his death in 1913. The mother of Mrs. Fremstad, whose maiden name was Goro Bjornstugen, was born in 1850 and is still living on the old homestead with her sons, Andrew and Olof. Mr. and Mrs. Fremstad have been the parents of four children: Herman, born January 22, 1909, who died at birth; Gladys, born January 22, 1911; Harold, born July 20, 1913; and Hulda, born September 22, 1915. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Albert H. Fremstad, an enterprising and prosperous agriculturist, proprietor of the Fremstad Farm of 160 acres in sections 3 and 4 of Pigeon Township, is a native of Wisconsin, having been born in Vernon County, November 27, 1871. His father, Hans A. Fremstad, was born in Nordland, Norway, in 1838 and came to the United States in 1857, residing for some years in Vernon County, taking the farm on which his son Albert H. now lives, and which he cultivated for many years, or until his retirement from active labor. He still, however, makes it his place of residence. His wife, whose maiden name was Andrena Nilson, was born in Norway in 1834 and died October 1, 1916. Albert H. Fremstad was an infant scarcely a month old when his parents came to Trempealeau County and took the land since known as the Fremstad Farm. Here he was reared, attending the local schools in boyhood and also beginning at an early age to acquire a knowledge of agriculture. This knowledge was of a most practical kind and at time involved considerable labor, but in performing it he was laying the foundation of his present prosperity. In this work he was associated with his father until 1898, when, with his brother, Anton, he purchased the farm and it was carried on by them under the name of Fremstad Bros. Until the spring of 1915, since which time Albert H. has been the sole proprietor. The improvements are extensive and up-to-date, and include a barn, 32 by 60 feet, with basement, and shed on the north side; a solid concrete silo, 14 by 35, built in 1913; a tobacco shed 40 by 144 and a good two-story house of 12 rooms. Mr. Fremstad has four acres planted in tobacco. His herd of cattle numbers 40 head, of which he milks 20. Mr. Fremstad was married March 27, 192, to Clara Hougen, who was born in Osseo, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, April 4, 1875, daughter of Mat and Gurine (Prestegaarder) Hougen. He and his wife have six children, born as follows: Hazel, January 4, 1903; Clifford, November 9, 1904; Palmer, March 15, 1908; Glen, March 6, 1910; Maynard, October 31, 1913 and Ernest Milton, June 30, 1917. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Ole Fredrickson, who as proprietor of Brookhill farm of 167 acres, in section 25, Pigeon Township, is taking an active part in the development of the agricultural resources of this township, was born in Stor Hammar, Hedemarken, Norway, March 25, 1857. His father was Fredrick Olson, a railroad man, who died in Norway in 1881, and whose wife, Helen Olson, is now living in Christiania, Norway, at the age of 87 years. It was in May 1881, the year of his father’s death, that the subject of this sketch came to the United States. Following the trail of most of the Norwegian pioneers to the great Northwest, he located at Whitehall, this county, but for about a year was employed near Osseo at farm work. For 15 years Mr. Fredrickson worked for various employers, in the meanwhile saving his money and looking forward to the day when he should be able to begin an independent career. When the time came, having decided upon agriculture as the readiest means of attaining prosperity, he bought a farm in Curran Township, Jackson County, this state, and taking up his residence upon it operated it for six years. Then, for substantial reasons, he decided to make a change of location, and accordingly purchased his present farm in the southeast corner of town 23 north, range 7 west, Pigeon Township, where he has remained. Acting on progressive ideas, he has made various improvements on the place, one of the most important of which is the barn erected in 1905, and measuring 34 by 80 by 16 feet, with an eight-foot basement, and provided with running water. In 1914 he built his present residence, a frame two-story building, with basement, containing nine rooms, with hot water heat and provided with hot and cold running water and Delco plumbing throughout. In 1917 he installed an individual electric light plant in his house and barn. On the farm is also a concrete silo, 14 by 30 feet. Mr. Fredrickson has a herd of 31 Holstein cattle, seven being purebred and registered. Of this herd he milks 15. The farm is conducted on a profitable basis and he has taken his place among the successful and prosperous citizens of his township - a result achieved by hard work and perseverance, aided by a competent knowledge of all the various branches of the farming industry. The farm is an historic one, the original home of Nils Hensen Tomten, built in 1870, being still standing thereon. Mr. Fredrickson has been treasurer of the local school board for nine years, serving two years as clerk. He is also a stockholder in the Pigeon Grain & Stock Company and in the Whitehall Hospital. Mr. Fredrickson entered into the married state about 14 years ago or more, Mrs. Mattie Tomten, becoming his wife October 29, 1902. Mrs. Fredrickson was born in Norway December 8, 1866, a daughter of Torger and Regina Thorson. The Thorson family came to America in 1876, settling in Pigeon Township, this county, where the father died in 1913; his wife died September 28, 1916. Their daughter, Mattie, was first married to Gilbert Tomten, a son of Niels Jensen Tomten by his wife Berte Olsdatter, both natives of Norway, where the father was born April 8, 1815, and the mother January 13, 1815. Coming to America in the spring of 1866 with their family, Mr. and Mrs. Tomten bought the farm on which the subject of this sketch, Mr. Fredrickson, how lives, and this place was their home until their respective deaths, Niels J. Tomten passing away March 30, 1882, and his wife November 12, 1891, the latter surviving her husband over nine years. Their two sons, Gilbert and John N., after their death, divided the farm between them, Gilbert taking the part now owned by Mr. Fredrickson, the farm as a whole having a larger acreage, and this he operated until his death, November 14, 1900. He was born in Biri, Norway, December 2, 1863, his marriage to Mattie Thorson taking place May 13, 1900. They had one child, Robert Tomten, born April 1, 1891, who is now residing at home. Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson are the parents of two children: Frederick G., born July 20, 1903 and Mildred Helen Olive, born January 20, 1912. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. SOURCE - HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Nels L. Fredrickson, agriculturist, pubic official and man of affairs, is one of the leading citizens of the county. He did most efficient service as county sheriff in 1893-94, as under-sheriff in 1895-96, and as county treasurer in 1907-11, and since the spring of 1914 has been a prominent member of the county board, sitting as the member from Whitehall, which village he has served for two years as president. The career that has involved this unusual amount of public work has been a most interesting one. The son of Fredrick Nelson and Isabella Larson, he was born in Christiania, Norway, January 25, 1856, and after the death of his father, at the age of 10 he was brought to this country with the rest of the family, by his mother and step-father, George Reitzel. After a year in Ettrick, he came with the family to Preston Township, and was here reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1877 he started out for himself by securing employment in the lumber and machinery business with C.N. Paine & Co. at Whitehall, remaining two and a half years. For a number of years he was in the hardware business. He had a part in the building of the block on the site of what is now the Model Block, later destroyed by fire. Upon his election as sheriff he moved to the official residence and at the expiration of his term purchased his present farm, where he has since continued to reside. The place consists of nearly a quarter of a section in the southeast corner of the village of Whitehall, and is a modern farm in every particular. He has a fine herd of high-grade Holstein cattle, a good drove of Poland-China hogs, and makes a specialty of breeding Brown Leghorn chickens. His interest in his herd led to his connection with the Whitehall Creamery Association, which he served for a time as president, and of which he has been secretary and manager since 1914. The success of this institution is a strong tribute to Mr. Fredrickson’s management. With all his busy work, he has found time for the development of his social qualities, and has taken a deep interest, passing through the chairs of the local order, serving as district deputy, and sitting as a member of the Grand Lodge of the State. Mr. Fredrickson has been excellently described as a useful citizen. Combining a genial disposition with sterling worth and an ability to make friends, he has won his way in the world and has achieved a most satisfactory degree of success. Mr. Fredrickson was married November 6, 1896, to Mary Allen, who died November 3, 1902. Her parents were Martin and Elizabeth (Ackerman) Allen, the former of whom is dead and the latter of whom is proprietor of the Allen Hotel at Whitehall. On January 1, 1910, Mr. Fredrickson married Sigrid Kildahl, who was born in Norway, daughter of Ole and Martha Kildahl. Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson have four children: Isadora M., born October 6, 1910; Sigrid L. May 27, 1912; Nels L., Jr., May 11, 1914; and Junice Waunita, June 14, 1917. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
Back to Home Page