Towns and Villages in Oxford County -Part 2.
A Post Office of the Township of Dereham, seven miles from
Ingersoll. It contains two Churches, a school, one store, one
large wagon and carriage factory, two blacksmith shops, two shoe
shops, and an inn.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
BODWELL, E. V. J. P., general Movar, C.
merchant MYLES, ROBERT, wagon and carriage
Bonser, Geo. hotel keeper maker
Comfort, Andrew, laborer Newton, C. S., shoemaker
Doonan, Thos. shoemaker Roperts, Stephen, painter
Duffy, John, blacksmith WOODARD, JESSE S., postmaster
Henry, Francis, blacksmith Woodard, Jesse W., clerk
MOSCOW OR HOWELL'S MILLS
Situated on the 6th Concession, 8th Lot, of the Township of Blenheim
one mile and a half from Drumbo.
Wesley Howell, flouring mill
Archibald Hughton, miller
John Rose, cooper shop
A Post village of Blenheim Township, on the 2nd Lot, 2nd Concession,
and near the South Eastern corner of the County. The Village was
first settled in 1812, and one time it bid fair to become quite an
important place. The first grist mills in this section of the country
at that time were here in operition, and new settlers from a distance
of 40 miles, came to "Mudge Hollow," to mill. The name was changed
to that of "Canning" about 1842, and a post office under that name
was established in 1850. Mr. Alchin in 1850 became the proprietor
and principal real estate owner in the Village. It now contains a
United Brethren Church, built at a cost of $450, and seated for 200
persons; a good Common School, with an average attendance of 60 pupils;
a large tannery, woolen factory, flouring mill, saw mill, wagon and
blacksmith shop, one store and a tavern.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Arthington, ----, teacher Galloway, John, wagon maker
Bailey, Samuel, farmer Harris, George, tanner
CAMERON, THOS., currier Lee, Robert, spinner at J. Munro
CANNING HOTEL, R. Pierce, prop. McFarland, David, weaver at J. Munro
Fray, John, painter Martin, Charles, butcher shop
Galloway, David, wagon shop Munro, James, carder at J. Munro
MUNRO, JOHN, woollen manufacturer Specht, Frederick, weaver at J. Munro
Taylor, W. H., trader
Palmer, Edmund, shoe shop Turner, A. J., blacksmith shop
Palmer, Edward, shoemaker Wetherwax, Andrew, boot and shoe
Parry, Henry, shoemaker manufacturer
Raines, Mrs., postmistress WILLIAMSON, JAMES N., tanner
RICHARDSON, GEORGE, general and currier
dealer in dry goods,
groceries, &c. Wood, Alva, saw mill proprietor
Richardson, Alex., clerk at George Wood, Joseph, sawyer
Richardson Wood, Wilkes, sawyer
Sayright, William, weaver at J. Munro WRIGHT, THOMAS, miller, and
Sherrick, Rev. Mr., United Brethren flour merchant, prop'tor,
Simpson, James, miller at T. Wright's Canning mills
A Post Office of the Township of North Norwich, situated on the
4th Concession. It contains a store, blacksmith and wagon shop,-distant
four miles from Norwichville and 13 miles from Woodstock.
GARY, AUGUSTUS, postmaster
HARDY, MICHAEL, merchant
Henderson, Henry, blacksmith
Sexton, James, wagon maker
A Post Office of the township of East Nissouri, on the eighth lot,
fourteenth concession, (town line), established about five years.
Joseph Howes, postmaster.
A flourishing post village of the township of North Norwich, 17
miles from Woodstock; 18 miles from Ingersoll, and 25 miles from
Brantford. It contains three churches, a large school, a
Massonic Lodge, literary society, a Bible society, two Brass Bands,
a number of stores, two large wagon and carriage factories,
numerous other workshops, mills, and two foundries. It is situated
in the midst of one of the richest and most fertile sections of
country in Westeern Canada-surrounded by farms in the highest state
of cultivation. Population 800.
St. John's Lodge, No. 104
Stated communications every Wednesday on or before full moon,
at Masonic Hall.
W. M., John A. Tidey, jr. S. W., A. P. Miller
CANADA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
A neat frame building, built at a cost of $800. Rev. William Donald, Minister.
Built of frame, at a cost of $700. Rev. Solomon Snider, Minister.
A neat and elegant brick structure, erected in 1861, at a cost of $3,500.
Rev. E. Peake, Minister, assisted by the Rev. John N. Hewitt.
Meets every Thursday evenings at 8 o'clock, p.m. in Tidey's Building.
Hugh McKee, President, Joseph Bearss, Vice President,
A. P. Miller, Secretary.
Depositary-John A. Tidey, jr. President, John McKee
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Adams, Henry J., harness shop Carlton, Mathew, shoemaker
Addison, Wm., Cabinet Maker and Carter, Samuel, carriage maker
undertaker Catton, Henry, grocer
Anderson, Edward, shoe shop Cheswell, Daniel, shoemaker with
Allen, John, baker with Bleakley Hand & Co.
Avey, Charles, brick and tile maker Cheswell, Wm., shoemaker with Hand
Avey, George, carpenter and Co.
Bagnell, Humphrey, cabinet maker Clark, Fredrick W., travelling agent
Bardley, Robert, painter Clifford, Charles, cabinet shop
BARR & CO., (James Barr, George Clifford, Daniel, cabinet maker
Barr, Alex Watson), iron Coker, Wm., clerk, Stroud's Hotel
founders and machinists Collins, Charles, painter with
Barrett, Wm., baker and confectioner W. S. Scarf
with Bleakley Congdon, Joseph P., laborer
BEARD, GEO. L., M.D., surgeon &c. Cook, Ephraim, M.D., coroner and
Bearss, Joseph, wagon maker agent for marriage licenses
Beaton, Wm., laborer Crane, Stockton, carpenter and joiner
BLEAKLEY, GEORGE, wholesale DYKEMAN, A., carpenter and joiner
baker and confectioner Dickson, Benjamin, apprentice with
Brown, John, prop'r Fountain Head McCaulay & Campbell
Hotel Donald, Daniel, carpenter and joiner
Brown, Robert, cooper DONALD, Rev. W. M., Canada
Bryant, Wm., shoe maker with Hand & Co. Presbyterian
BUNGAY, GEORGE W., harness shop DOUGLAS, JOHN, tanner and currier
Duncan, John, bookeeper
BUNGAY, LEWIS F., stoves and tinware Duncan, Charles, laborer
Eagor, George, apprentice with
Cameron, Duncan, mason McCaulay & Campbell
CAMERON, JAMES, mason Emigh, Aaron, apprentice with Walker
CAMPBELL, JOHN, (McCaulay and Co.) Folston, John, shoemaker
Fonnan, George, apprentice with Bungay Pugsley, Josiah, cabinet maker with
FOSTER, MORGAN & CO., general Rawlings, Richard, wagon maker with
merchants W. S. Scarff
Gentle, Walter, brick maker Robinson, R. W. F., school teacher
George, W. H., tailor Robinson, W. A., shoemaker
Graham, Alexander, tinsmith Roddy, David, tailor shop
Gray, Joseph, carpenter Russell, John, blacksmith with Scarff
Green & McCausland, (James Green, SACKRIDER, CHAS., general merchant
E. McCausland), gen'l merchants
Hagerman, David, farmer Sackrider, Conwell, farmer
HAKIN & WOOD, shoe shop Sackrider, Linderman, laborer
HAND & CO., (Wm. Walter, and Sackrider, Nehemiah, gentleman
John Hand,) shoe manufacturers Scarff, Thomas, trimmer with Scarff
and tanners SCARFF, WM. S., carriage and wagon
Harp, Elijah M., laborer manufacturer
Huntington, G., ironfounder and Sloan, James, laborer
patentee Smiley, James, tinsmith with Bungay
Jennings, Solomon, bailiff 4th Division Smith, Wm. L., laborer
Court SMITH, WM. L, clergyman
Kelley, E. L., clerk with Sackrider SNELL. N., proprietor Elgin House
Kenney, Daniel, jr., chair maker SNYDER, SOLOMON, clergyman
Knowls, Chas., tanner with Hand & Co. Stevens, Alfred, cabinet maker with
Lane, Henry, harness maker Addison
Leatherby, Robert, apprentice with Stevens, Hance, joiner
Bleakley Stevenson, David, carpenter
Lewis, Wm. H., watchmaker and STEVENSON, JAMES, carpenter
photographer and joiner
McCAULAY & CAMPBELL, carriage Stewart, John, blacksmith with Scarff
and wagon makers Stover, Enoch, farmer
McCaulay, W. H., butcher Stroud, Henry, clerk with Foster,
McCLELLAN, WM., general merchant Morgan & Co.
Stroud, William, gentleman
McClellan, ----, clerk Strode, John and William, butchers
McKEE, THOMAS, painter and glazier SUTTON, G. C., watchmaker and jeweller
Mann, John, laborer Swartwout, Lorenzo, carpenter & joiner
Mann, Thos., moulder with Barr & Co. Switzer, Amos, chair maker
Miles, Benjamin, butcher Switzer, Tobias, millwright with Barr
Miles, W. W., A. M., gentleman and Co.
MILLER & CO., (David and Abraham P.) Tidey, Claudius, student with J. A.
dealers in groceries Tidey sr.
Moles, Edward, wagon maker with Tidey, George W., carpenter & joiner
W. S. Scarf TIDEY, JOHN A., Sr., P. L. S.,
Montross, Joshua, wagon shop conveyancer, &c.
MOORE, GILBERT, postmaster, res. TIDEY, JOHN A., Jr., druggist and
North Norwich stationer
Muir, John, appren. with Hand & Co. Tidey, Joseph A., school teacher
Nicholson, Peter, apprentice with Tinney, John, laborer
Addison Vanvalkenburgh, Trueman, laborer
PALMER, H. N., dentist and goldsmith VanWinklin, Perry, apprentice with
PEAKE, Rev. E., Wesleyan Minister WALKER, GEORGE, cabinet ware rooms
PITCHER, SENECA, general merchant WALLACE THOMAS, J. P.
Poldon, Wm., blacksmith shop WEBSTER, Rev. THOMAS, Clergyman
Potruff, Andrew, millwright
Whitfield, Asaph, clerk with John A. Wilson, Stephen, wagon shop
Tidey Wood, Edward, moulder
Will, Joseph, shoe shop
Williams, Michael, blacksmith with Yates, John F., tailor
Barr & Co. Zimmerman, Philip
A Post Village of the Township of South Norwich, situated on the Otter
Creek, 20 miles from Woodstock, 20 miles from Simcoe, and 26 miles from
Brantford. It has a large trade in sawn lumber, and farm produce, and
contains eight stores, two Churches, Church of England,-a frame building
erected at a cost of about one thousand dollars, and the Evangelical
Association, a frame building erected at a cost of six hundred dollars.
It also contains a flouring and grist mill, four saw mills in the
vicinity; A woollen factory, an iron foundry, a waggon and carriage
factory, a large cooperage, and a large school, well attended and under
the charge of first class teachers. Population 700.
RIDOUT LODGE No. 95
Meets at the Masonic Hall, on Thursday on or before the full moon of each
month. P. O., Otterville.
W. M., John Wood Sec. Jarvis Goodwin
P. M., Charles Lewis S. D., William Fonnan
S. W., Robert Mann J. D., Wm. Parker
J. W., Ambrose Wilcox I. G., James Leadbeater, Jr.
Treas., A. Durkee Tyler, Peter M. Weaver
OTTERVILLE Division Sons of Temperance, No. 257
Meets on Saturday, every two weeks at 7 p.m., at the Temperance Hall.
W. P., A. Durkee W. V. S., Andy McLim
P. W., H. A. Titus C., John Hilliar
W. S., Elias Bowerman Assist. C., Joseph Stuart
Sec., James Kay I. S., Augustus Parson
Assist. Sec., Edward Creton O. S., John McFarland
Treas., William Griffin Chaplain, John Foy
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Appley, Sylvester, Laborer CLEVELAND, JOHN F., prop.,
Baker, C. R., laborer Otterville livery stables
Britain, M. J., shoemaker at Durkee Comfort, Stephen
BULLOCK, EDWARD, mill owner Conklin, Wm., druggist
Bullock, James E., ashery Cook, C. D., prop., Exchange Hotel
Burgar, Mary, grocery and liquor store Cooper, John, carpenter and joiner
Burnham, J. V., constable CORNELL, WILLIAM, gentleman
Carder, D. D., clerk at Carder's Courtlandt, H. N., school teacher
Carder, F. A., agent at Carder's gore Creaghton, Edmond Alex., shoemaker
steam mill Creaghton, William, shoe shop
CARDER, G. W., M. D. Cromwell, R. B., merchant
Carder, J. M., farmer Cromwell, J. C., clerk
CLARK, E. B., ambrotype artist Davis, James, laborer
Cleveland, John, prop. Cleveland House Delong, Theodore, laborer
DURKEE, ASA. J.P., tanner and McFarlane, Donald, blacksmith
currier McFarlane, John, blacksmith shop
Durkee, Melbourne McLIM, WM., foreman at Asa Durkee's
Durkee, Warren, harness maker McPhee, John, cooper at Furlong
Eggmann, Henry, mason McPHEE, NEIL, laborer
ERB, N. & A., carding and fulling Maddison, Mattthew, miller
mills Mann, R. S., tailor
Erb, Henry, farmer MATTESON, J. P., prop, Otterville
Erb, J., farmer Hotel
Erb, Joseph, farmer Middleton, Arthur, gentleman
Erb, Samuel, gentleman Mitchell, James, carpenter
Fleak, H. C., M. D. Morris, Robert, harness maker at
Forbes, George, cooper at Furlong Durkee's
Foy, John, shoemaker Norton, Luke, cooper
Frank, George, laborer Palmer, H., ambrotypist
Frank, William, tinsmith Parson, Augustus, wagon maker
FURLONG, JOHN, Otterville cooper shop PARSON, WM., wagon and carriage maker
Goodwin, Andrew, clerk at Goodwin's Penrose, Jesse, carpenter
Goodwin, H. W., tailor Reavely, George, clerk at Schooley's
GOODWIN, G., dealer in dry goods Sable, John, laborer
groceries, &c. Salmon, John, M.D.
Gould, Benjamin, farmer Scanlon, Wm., Wagon maker
HELDEBRAND, JOHN F., cooper SCHOOLEY, E. M., merchant and
HERMISTON, ANDREW, farmer postmaster
Hillier, Thomas, pedler Shaw, Francis, mechanic
HILLIKER & BUCK, (R. W. Hilliker & Stage, R. L., tinshop
Robert Buck) iron founders and STEVENS, REUBEN C. A., cooper
machinists STOVER, GILBERT, J. P.
Hilliker, Henry, Carriage maker TALBOT, R, Reeve, South Norwich
Hislop, Thomas, weaver TUTCHBURN, Robert, shoe maker
Johnston, G. E., cooper Watts, John, clerk at R. B. Cromwell's
Kitchen, Joseph, blacksmith Wilkinson, Rev. John, New Connection
LEADBEATER, JAMES, senr., Methodist
woollen factory Wills, Samuel, cooper
Leadbeater, James, jnr. Wiltsee, Harrison, tanner and currier
Leader, John, manufacturer of patent Wiltsee, Henry, tanner and currier
siding WITTINGTON, REV. WILLIAM
LEWIS, CHARLES, Township clerk Evangelical Association
Is a Post Office station, situated on the twelfth lot, fourth
concession of the township of East Oxford, on the old stage road,
and on the Woodstock and Norwichville mail route, and distant
from Woodstock about 5 miles. There is a tri-weekly mail, viz:
on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The Town Hall, erected
by the Township Council, is here located. It contains one store,
a Wesleyan Methodist Church, built of brick, at a cost of $1,200-
and a good school.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
CRAWFORD, WM., blacksmith shop MONROE, Wm., wagon and carriage
GARBUTT, WM., postmaster and maker
farmer Noyes, Jacob, farmer
GRISWOLD, H. C., merchant, and ROBB, ALEXANEER, teacher
proprietor Oxford House Zion Church, (Wesleyan Methodist)
A thriving post village of the township of Blenheim, situated on the
river Nith, or Smith's Creek, distant 18 miles from Woodstock, 4 miles
from the Plattsville station of the Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway,
and 8 miles from Hamburg, a station of the Grand Trunk Railway. It
contains three church organizations, two of whom have churches - The
Church of England congregation meets at present in the school house,
where services are held every alternate Sabbath, by the Rev. Mr.
Clotworthy. The Wesleyan Methodists have a neat frame building,
erected in 1853, at a cost of eight hundred dollars, and
capable of seating three hundred persons-Rev. Messrs. Fear and
Chalmers, of Washington, officiating. The German Lutheran Church,
a frame structure, was erected in 1860, at a cost of five hundred
dollars, and is seated for two hundred and fifty persons. There is
a very good common school (sec. number 24) numbering 126 pupils,
with an average attendance of 75 pupils, under the charge of Mr.
Levi Master. Plattsville contains a very extensive woollen factory,
owned by Warnock, Farrand & Co. They employ 40 operatives, have
an engine of 40 horse power, three spinners, three sets of carding
machines, twelve looms, six fulling mills, two raising gigs, one
shearing machine, one napper, and have a capacity of finishing and
turning out twelve hundred yards per week. It contains a very extensive
cabinet, chair, and pail factory, the machinery being driven by a
twenty-horse power engine, and employing about 15 hands. The factory
is owned by N. Fried & Co. It has also a large foundry, owned by
A. McArthur & Co., who employ a number of men, and manufacture mowing
and reaping machines, and all kinds of agricultural implements.
Beside these, it contains two flouring and grist mills-one of
four, and the other two run of stones-a large tannery, saw and
planing mills, wagon and carriage factories, blacksmith shops,
boot and shoe shops, and numerous other workshops, two hotels,
daily mail, two temperance lodges, and eight stores of various kinds.
PLATTSVILLE POST OFFICE
Mails received daily, at 10 a. m., and 5 1/2 p. m., and despatched
at same time. Samuel Platt, postmaster.
Plattsville Excelsior Lodge, No. 114, B.A.O.
Organized April, 1859. Meets on Tuesday evening.
W. C., Daniel Neal W. F. S., John O'Neal
W. V., Jane Collins W. C., Mary Hall
W. C., Samuel Rutherford W. I. G., Miss Wakefield
P. W. C., Benjamin Shantz W. O. G., John Davie
W. S., Roland Crockett D. G. W. C., David Kilborn
OPTIMUM TEMPLE, No. 492
Organized February 1, 1861. Meets on Monday, at Temperance Hall.
W. C. T., James Hayward D. M., Anathers Armstrong
W. V., Martha Hayward A. S., Jessie Oliver
W. S., Ephraim Motheral W. C., William Burton
W. T., Ann Ford R. H. S., Mary Spear
W. M., William Potter L. H. S., Elizabeth Turnbull
W. F. S., John Bird P. W. C. T., J. W. Brundle
I. S. G., Mary Riddle T. D., William Motheral
O. S. G., Joseph Kaufman
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Armstrong, Daniel, at factory Levan, Jacob, blacksmith shop, and
Armstrong, Robert, at woolen factory general jobbing
Avison, James, at woollen factory McAlpine, Hugh Fulton, horse-nail
Baker, Hy, land proprietor maker
Baker, Nelson, land proprietor McARTHUR, & CO., founders, and
Battye, David, at woolen factory manufacturers of reapers, mowers
Bird, John, wagon maker and agricultural implements
BLENHEIM MILLS, flouring and grist
and tannery, Samuel Platt, McLean, John, mason
proprietor McLeod, Alexander, fireman
BRITISH ARMS HOTEL, James McLeod, Hugh, turner
Donald, prop'r MAPLE GROVE MILLS, Stauffer and Co.
Brundle, J. W. & Bro., tin shop
Bullock, Samuel, Laborer Mason, W. F., chair maker
Burton, William, tailor shop Morcum, John, laborer
Cadzaw, William, at woolen factory
Callighan, John, at woolen factory MORISON, JOHN, M. D., graduate
Cann, John, laborer of Dublin College
Catzka, Andrew, boot and shoe maker MOTHERAL, WILLIAM, boot and shoe store
Clapperton, Robert, carpenter Murray, William
Clark, Douglas, cabinet maker Neal, Daniel, laborer
Clemens, Moses, farmer Norfolk, Joseph, currier
CLEMENS & VEITCH, (Aaron Clemens and O'Neil, John F., shoemaker
George Veitch), general PLATT, SAMUEL, flouring mills
merchants Plattsville House, Mrs. Phoebe Dodge
Cramp, William, butcher shop
Dany, John, laborer POPPLETON, Wm. H., book-keeper
Dukes, Mrs. at woollen factory
Fairgreeve, John, at woollen factory Quant, John, engineer
Farrand, Walter J., (Warnock, Farrand Revel, John, mason
& Co.) Reynolds, Alfred, tailor shop
Ford, John, shoemaker Riddle, George, at woollen factory
FORD, MICHAEL, boot and shoe Robinson, Wm., sr.
manufacturer Saunders, James, at woollen factory
Ford, Thomas, shoemaker Seigler, Isaac, cabinet maker
Fralick, George S., at woolen factory Seip, William, shoe maker
FRIED & CO., (Noah Fried and Allan Shupe, Jacob, cabinet maker
Kauffnan), cabinet and chair Shupe, John, carpenter and joiner
factory SMART, JOHN, general merchant
GARDNER, PETER, fish dealer and assistant postmaster
Gaunt, John, at woolen factory Sheare, Henry, laborer
Gofton, Roger, farmer STAUFFER & CO., flouring mills
GROSSE, ANDREW, shoemaker Taylor, John, blacksmith, and wagon
Hayward, James, painter shop
Hopkins, Richard, groceries, &c. Taylor, Thomas, carriage and wagon
Holtz, John, tailor shop shop
Jones, Henry, general trader THYNNE, ROBERT, drug store
KILBORN, DAVID & CO., general merchants Turnbull, Ralph, at woollen factory
Koffman, Joseph, turner Turnbull, William, at woollen factory
Laraway, Edward, at woollen factory WARNOCK, FARRAND & CO.,
Larrimer, John, moulder manufacturers of woollen goods,
Levan, Cyrus, apprentice saddler carding and fulling mills
Levan, Samuel, pump shop, and jobbing Wesley, Joseph, at woolen factory
Workman, Thomas, farmer
A Post Village and Station of Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway, in the
townships of Blenheim and Blandford. It contains a large stave factory,
lately erected by George Baird, who employs about 40 hands, the machinery
is propelled by a twelve horse power engine. The Village also contains
two general stores, blacksmith shop, saddlery and harness shop, two
taverns,- distant from Woodstock, 13 miles, and 38 miles from Hamilton.
Mail daily. Population 150.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
American Hotel, Wm. Cuthbertson, Jones, J.., pumper, B. & L. H. R.
proprietor LOGAN, JOHN, saddler shop
BAIRD, GEO., general merchant McAndrew, James, salesman
B. & Lake Huron Railway, and Montreal Mowat, John, clerk
Telegraph office OVERELL, J. C., general merchant
COWAN, JOHN, prop. Barlow House Rowe & Hechling, shoe shop
Scott, Alex., book keeper
Doyle, Patrick, pumper and woodman SHARP, W. A., Express agent
Ebenau, E., station master Smith, John, tailor
Farrow, F. N., shoe shop Stein, Wm., carpenter
Fraser, Alex., cutter Streets, Jarvis, section foreman,
Green, S. S., salesman B. & L. H. R.
Green, Wm., salesman WALDIE, ADAM, carpenter
Hunter, Archibald, blacksmith Zingg, Jacob, blacksmith shop
Hunter, James, blacksmith shop Zingg & Thompson, wagon shop
A Post Village of the Township of Blenheim, and Station of the
Great Western Railway, 12 miles from Woodstock, and 39 miles
from Hamilton. It contains several stores, a shingle and stave
factory, three hotels, and several workshops. There are two
Churches, viz: Church of England, built of frame at a cost of
$800, and seated for 150 persons, Methodist Episcopal, a frame
structure, erected at a cost of $1200, and seated for 300. Mail
daily. Population, 400.
Mails received daily, J. G. Lindsay, P.M. S. Yale, Deputy P.M.
School Section number 17, Blenheim, 12th Lot, 2nd Concession,
number of pupils 75, average 45, Thomas Bolsten, Teacher.
AlphabeticaI List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Bailey, Norton, blacksmith Murray, Daniel, porter, G.W.R.
Bates, George, butcher shop Nagle, William, stone mason
BEAMER, R. M., soap candle and Newcombe, Nelson, salesman
potash manufacturer NOTT, HENRY, groceries and
Bolster, Thomas, teacher manufacturer of boots and shoes
Bugbee, Wm., carpenter and joiner Oldridge, Isaac, shoemaker
Cheeswright, Fred., merchant tailor Oxford Hotel, Thomas R. Edwards,
CLARK, DANIEL, M.D., graduate proprietor
of Victoria College, Toronto PRINCETON HOTEL, Geo. Lavery, proprietor
COWAN, THOMAS, Bailiff and Quirk, William, Wagon shop
lumber merchant Seadorf, John, apprentice shoemaker
DAVIDSON, JOSEPH, lumber merchant SCOTT, J. W., dry goods and groceries,
crockery, hardware, &c.
Davis, Jacob, blacksmith shop Shaw, Snowden, porter, G. W. R.
Davis, Wm., Blacksmith shop Slawson, C. H., salesman
DUNLOP, JOHN, baker STITT, ROBERT & JAMES, stave
Elliott, Frederick R., wagon maker and shingle factory
Fry, Miss Barbara, day operator at Swindle, Thomas, woodman, G.W.R.
Telegraph office, G.W.R Swindle, John, woodman, G.W.R.
Gibbins, George, brickmaker Thompson, Wm., blacksmith
Gilmore, Robert, shoe shop Walpole, James, farmer
Goodwin, Wright, night station master Watt, William, blacksmith shop
and operator WHITINGTON, H., dry goods,
Grant, Robert, plasterer grocories, crockery, hardware,
Griggs, Charles, shingle maker liquors, watches, jewelry,
Griggs, James, shingle maker lumber and shingles
Griggs, William, shingle maker Winters, Henry, blacksmith shop
Griggs, William, jr., shingle maker WOOD, G. C., station master, G.W.R.
HAVILL, H. J. & H. S., carpenters Wood, William, engineer
and builders, sash, door and WRIGHT, SAMUEL, M.D., graduate
blind factory of Montreal L.C. college of
HYMERS, F.W., carpenter and joiner surgeons
LLOYD'S HOTEL, Jos. Lloyd, prop.
McLEOD, CHARLES, blacksmith Yale, S., dry goods, groceries,
Moore, James, pumper, G.W.R. crockery, hardware, &c.
A Post Village in the Township of Blandford, on the 12th Concession,
and a Station of the Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway. It contains
one Church, and a store, two black-smith shops, shoe shop, tailor shop,
and a tavern,-distant from Woodstock, 11 miles. Population about 100.
12 Concession, 6th Lot, Mails received Tuesdays, Thursdays and
Saturdays at half past one o'clock, p.m., and despatched at
half-past one o'clock, p.m. Walter S. Elliott, Postmaster.
Ratho Canada Presbyterian Church, built A.D. 1852, cost $800,
dimensions 40 x 60, number that can be seated, 350. Rev. Andrew Tolmie,
Pastor, res. 8th Concession, 9th Lot, Blandford.
RATHO RECLAIM LODGE, I. O. of G. T.
Meets every Tuesday evening at Temperance Hall. P. O. address, Ratho.
W. C. T., John Morton W. O. G., Hugh Beard
W. V., Christina Buchan W. R. H. S., Jesse Cauchron
W. S., Henry Arnot W. L. H. S., Agnus Petecrow
W. T., Mary Beard P. W. C. T., John McInnes
W. F. S., Andrew Herbeson D. M., Margaret Beard
W. M., John Davidson, jr. W. A. S., Margaret Couchron
W. C., Joseph Petecrow T. D., Joseph Petecrow
W. I. G., Eliza Robertson
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Alshine, Thomas, carpenter PEAT, THOMAS, farmer, Wood
Andress, Peter, cabinet maker Side Hill
BROWN, W., station master RATHO HOTEL, W. Hughes, prop.
Cameron, Robert, blacksmith Robinson, James, teacher
CURRIE & KERR, (John Carrie & Saunby, John, plasterer
James Kerr,) blacksmith shop
Hamilton, James, carpenter SMITH, WM., carriages, waggons and
Hepworth, Joseph, shoemaker buggies made to order
Kerr, George, tailor shop Waldie, Walter, blacksmith shop
Kerr, James, shoe shop WILLIAMS, JOSEPH, general merchant
McIntyre, John, blacksmith
A Post Village of the Township of Blenheim, and Station on the Buffalo
and Lake Huron Railway, distant from Woodstock, 18 miles, from
Paris 8 miles. It contains a store, two Churches, a good School, Orange
and Temperance Lodges, hotel and several mechanic shops. Mail daily.
Concession 5th, Lot 8th, mails received daily, viz; from west 1 19,
from east 2 20, and despatched at same time. Joseph H. Laycock, P.M.
Robert Scott, Deputy P.M.
Wesleyan Methodist Church, built A.D., 1861, cost, $1500.
dimensions 30 x 40, number that can be seated, 200. W. Griffin,
Paris, and P. Bartlett, Richwood, Pastors.
Freewill Baptist Church, built A.D., 1850, cost $1000.
dimensions, 28 x 38, Rev. Stepen Griffin, Pastor, res. Eastwood.
Richwood Temple, I. O. of G. T., No. 553
Organized 15 Dec. 1861. Meets on every Tuesday evening, at the Village.
P. O. address, Richwood.
W. C. T., Matthew F., Ainslie W. O. G., Henry Munroe
W. V., Barbara Brown W. R. H. S., Clarisa Lewis
W. T., Emma Kennedy W. L. H. S., Mrs. Hall
W. S., Robert McLean D. M., Caroline Rochester
W. F. S., William Taylor W. A. S., William Brown
W. M., Lyman Hall P. W. C. T., William Ogilvie
W. I. G., Bessie Brown T. D., Robert Harris
LOYAL ORANGE LODGE
Richwood Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 393
Meets at Richwood Exchange, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
W. M., James Hughson W. S., Marcus T. Douglass
D. M., William Graham Tyler, Charles Hamilton
Richwood School, (Sec. No. 14,) Concession 5th, Lot 6th,
number of pupils, 171, average 71. Robert McLean, Teacher.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Bolston, John, carpenter Pickle, Charles, carpenter
Hall, Lyman L., carpenter RICHWOOD EXCHANGE, John D. Hughson,
Hughson, John D., hotel prop.
LAYCOCK, JOS. H. P. M., Township
Clerk and J.P. Scott, Robert, general merchant
Munroe, Henry, shoemaker Taylor, William, shoe shop
Ogilvie, William, tailor shop Thomson, John, blacksmith shop
A Post Village of the Township of Dereham, on the Ingersoll and
Port Burwell Plank and Gravel Road, 4 miles from Ingersoll, 14 miles
from Woodstock, and 25 miles from London. It contains a store,
several workshops, and has a daily mail. Population 200.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
BOON, WM., merhant & postmaster Lewis, C., cooper
Bloor, Charles, shoemaker Mayberry, Franklin, blacksmith
Fells, John, carpenter Mayberry, John, wagon maker
Griffin, Rev. Stephen Miller, John
Hogg, Charles Robinson, Patrick, teamster
Idale, John, carpenter Russell, Thos, laborer
Kennedy, James, carpenter Withey, Erastus, laborer
A Post Office of the Township of East Zorra, distant 5 1/2 miles
from Woodstock, and situated on the 11th Concession, 14th Lot, on the
Woodstock and Huron Gravel Road.
Cross, Thomas, postmaster
A Post Village of the Township of South Norwich, distant from
Woodstock 17 miles. It contains one store, pump factory,
carriage and wagon shop, two blacksmith shops, boot and shoe
shop, a tannery and one hotel. Mail daily. Population, 150.
LOYAL ORANGE LODGE
ORANGE LODGE, NO. 111
Meets at Springford on Tuesday, on or before full moon in each month.
W. M., Gilbert Stover Sec. Stephen Comfort
D. M., William Comfort Treas. George Leamons
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Anstice, Charles McFarland, Peter, blacksmith shop
Anstice, Frederick McFarland, Alex., blacksmith
Anstice, M. E. Merchant, James, gentleman
BARNES, THOMAS, cooper Mudge, A. J., wagon maker
Bell, Michael, farmer Mudge, Philip, carpenter and joiner
Berss, Edmond, shoemaker and farmer Oatman, W., shoemaker
Bowlby, T. A., farmer Russell, Windsor, clerk at Wilcox's
Bowlby, George, farmer SIPLE, EZRA, prop. farmers inn
Bowlby, Josiah, farmer Siple, Francis
Bowlby, Watson, farmer Scriven, Samuel, tailor
Cameron, Francis, M.D. Tracy, Thomas, laborer
Chiswell, Samuel, tailor Van Buskirk, ---, farmer
Cotor, William, shoemaker Walton, John
Crossett, John, shoe maker Wilcox, A. L., merchant
FISH, J. W. & J. D., pump Wilcox, Dyer, farmer
manufacturers Wilcox, Cornish
Graham, William, carpenter Woodard, Butsey, farmer
Hall, William, pump maker Woodard, G. W., wheelright
Jillard, James, laborer Woodard, Lucius, blacksmith
A post village of the township of West Oxford, on the Woodstock
and Dereham gravel road, 5 1/2 miles south-west of Woodstock.
It contains one church, two steam saw mills, one grist mill,
several shingle makers, and one steam shingle factory, one store,
one tavern, and a post office. Population 150.
Sweaborg Temple, No. 396, I. O. G. T.
Time of meeting, Wednesday, 8 p. m., Temperance Hall.
W. C., Orson McCarthy W. S., Joseph Withrow
W. V., Warren Cody W. T., Mary Thornton
W. F. S., James McLeod W. M., Robert Hall
T. D., W. H. Doyle
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
ARNOLD, WM. Lester, Joseph, farmer
BRAGG, WILLIAM, farmer McCalley, Hugh, shingle maker
GARTH, JOHN, prop'r steam saw and McIntosh, John, miller
grist mills McLEOD, JAMES, sawyer
Chamberlin, David, cooper Manzer, Henry, laborer
Chamberlin, Harrison, sawyer Manzer, John, farmer
CHAMBERLIN, JOHN, farmer MANZER, VINCENT, laborer
CROLY & MANZER, shingle Schram, Robert, laborer
manufacturers TEETZEL, JOHN M., Sweaborg Hotel
Cross, Erwin, sawyer
CROSS, JAMES, sawyer WADDINGTON, RICHARD, shingle maker
Doyle, Thomas, carpenter
Eshelby, Robert, cooper White, Andrew, farmer
Flood, James, laborer White, John, laborer
Gee, Frederick, shingle maker Withrow, James, carpenter
Goddard, George, blacksmith shop WITHROW, JOSEPH, proprietor
Hall, Mrs. Mary Ann steam saw mill
A Post Village situated on the banks of the middle branch of
the River Thames, and on the line of the Governor's Road, which
passes through it, in the Townships partly of East Nissouri and
North Oxford, distant from Woodstock, 14 miles, from London
14 miles, and from Ingersoll 5 miles. It is connected with
Ingersoll and London by the Ingersoll and Thamesford Gravel
Road, and also with St. Mary's by the road leading from it to St. Mary's.
There is excellent water power in its immediate vicinity for mill
and factory purposes, with good mill sites. It contains about
half a dozen general stores, three blacksmith shops, two carriage
and wagon factories, one woollen factory, a flouring mill, and a
saw mill. There are three Churches, viz: Church of England,
Presbyterian, and Episcopal Methodist, and a good Common School,
well attended. There is also, an Orange Lodge, and a Lodge of
Good Templars in the Village. The nearest Railway depot is
Ingersoll. Mails tri-weekly. Population about 650.
Situated on Dundas Street, mails received and despatched
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, at 10 o'clock, a.m.
Lawrence Whelan, Postmater.
St. John's Church of England, situated on Dundas Street, West.
Rev. Wm. Brookman, Pastor.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Free Church, situated on Delatre Street,
East. Rev. John Fraser, Pastor.
Episcopal Methodist, situated on Delatre and George Streets.
Rev. James Gilray, Pastor.
THAMESFORD COMMON SCHOOL
Situated in East Nissouri, part of the Village. Number of
pupils, 150, average attendance, 79. Donald Sutherland, Teacher.
LOYAL ORANGE ASSOCIATION
Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 990
Meets on Tuesday, monthly, on or before full moon, at the
Orange Hall, Thamesford. P. O. address Thamesford.
W. M., David Judge S., Thomas Lougheed
D. M., E. B. Surbey 1st Com., R. Johnson
T., D. Quinn 2nd. Com., J. Brown
True Blue Temple, No. 121, I. O. U. T.
Was organized on the 26th of April, 1856. Meets on Monday
night, in the Temperance Hall, Thamesford. P. O. Address Thamesford.
W. C. T., O. F. Shafer O. G., John Clark
W. V., Atlanta Abbott W. C., Anson Abbott
W. S., Martha McClellan W. A. S., Elizabeth Baker
W. T., J. Sherlock D. M ., Acenith Sherlock
W. F. S., W. F. Kelly R. H. S., Eliza Clark
W. M., Alfred Gilray L. H. S., Jane Sherlock
I. G., Cynthia Sherlock
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Baker, James, cooperage McCarthy, Joel
Bigley, Mrs. McCarthy, N. C., dry goods and
Boss, Wesley, laborer groceries
Brock, John McKAY, JOHN, tailor shop
Brock, Mrs. McLellan, John W., farmer
Brown, James, weaver McMillan, Buchanan, carpenter
Charlesworth, William McMurray, James, cabinet shop
Cogswell, Erastus, painter and glazier Mabee, J. H., laborer
Davidson, Andrew, blacksmith shop MARTIN, JOHN, general merchant
Davidson, James, carriage and wagon Mills, J. T., Tinshop
maker Morrison, Hugh, laborer
Davidson, John, wagon maker, Dundas MORRISON'S HOTEL, Mrs. Morrison,
Davidson, Robert, blacksmith shop proprietress
DAWES, THOMAS, M.D. Neely, James, miller
Day, Israel, laborer Orchard, Nathaniel, tin peddler
DONALDSON, GEO., blacksmith, Orchard, Simon, laborer
OLIVER, WM., butcher shop
Dryding, David, tinsmith Parsons, John, laborer
FODEN, O. B. F., druggist Royal Hotel, Peter Garner, prop.
Fountain, James, carpenter Sears, Joseph, carpenter
Garner, Peter, prop. Royal Hotel Shapland, Richard, laborer
Gilray, Samuel, laborer SHAFER, O. F., general agent and
Headrick & Shewan, boot and shoe patentee
makers Size, George, shoemaker
Hicks, Alex., farmer Size, J. G. V., shoemaker
Hull, Hazzard, machine shop Stevenson, John, laborer
JOHNS, JOHN, prop. Thamesford SUGDEN, JOHN, woolen factory
mills, grist and saw mills and carding mill
Johns, William, miller Surbey, Edward, shoe maker
KEYS, JAMES, machine shop, Dundas SUTHERLAND, DONALD, teacher
Leonard, Russel THAMESFORD MILLS, J. Johns, prop.
LEFAIVE, EZRA, shoemaker and Tibbets, Alva, tannery
potash manufacturer TEETZEL, WILLIAM, prop, Cross
Linch, James, laborer Keys Hotel
LOUGHEED, THOMAS, dry goods Urquhart, Donald, laborer
groceries and commission Waterhouse, John, spinner
merchant, &c. WHALEN, LAWRENCE, postmaster
McCARTY, DAVID, boot and shoe WOODLAND, WM,, dry goods and
McCarthy, Elezar, contractor
(P. O., DEREHAM)
A post village of the township of Dereham, situated on the
Otter Creek, and on the Ingersoll and Port Burwell gravel road,
distant from Woodstock 25 miles, from Ingersoll 15 miles, from
Vienna 14 miles, and from Port Burwell about 18 miles. Lumber
is the principal business of the place, in which there is a very
extensive trade, and by the facilities afforded by the Otter Creek
for propelling machinery and rafting lumber and timber to Port Burwell,
Tilsonburg enjoys the largest trade in this branch of business of
any other point in the County. Its general business consists of
ten or twelve general stores, several saw and grist mills, a planing mill,
foundry and machine shop, sash, blind, and door factory, pump factory,
two washing machine factories, a shingle factory, and two turning shops,
tannery, with shops of the various mechanical trades, such as carriage
makers, cabinet makers, carpenters, painters, blacksmiths, tinsmiths, &c.,
and butchers and bakers. There are two hotels. The legal, medical
and other professions are also well represented. The village
likewise contains two churches, and one large common school, besides
two private ones. It is favorably situated for business, and from the
excellent hydraulic power which it possesses, sites are available for
other mills and factories. Coal oil has recently been discovered in
the neighborhood, and wells sunk, and it is expected that ere long the
oil business will become a remunerating and staple one in the district.
The village is rapidly progressing in growth and commercial importance.
There is a weekly newspaper published in it, issued every Thursday
morning, and having a good circulation, of which T. A. McNamara is
the editor and proprietor. There are daily stages from Ingersoll and
Port Burwell. Mails daily. Population about 850.
King Hiram Lodge, No. 78, G. R. C.
Regular communications, Wednesday on or before full moon.
Lachlan McLean, Secretary.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
AULT, J. M. physician and surgeon McLaren, Duncan, lumberman
AVERY, ORIN, foundry and machine shop McLEAN, LACHLAN, postmaster
McNAMARA, T. A., editor and proprietor
BAIN & WILCOX, general merchants Herald, and book, and job
Barker, Watts, lumberman printing office
Beaupen, Thomas, shoemaker MATHESON, WM., general merchant,
Biork, N. F., tannery No. 13 Broadway
Bonner, John Mathews, James, carpenter
BOYCE MACAULAY, proprietor of MARETT, FRED., dry goods, millinery,
North American Hotel crockery, &c.
Marett, Mrs., millinery and dress goods
Burke, H. C., carpenter NESBITT, W. E., conveyaneer, notary
BURKE, R. H, manufacturer of tinware public, and township clerk
and dealer in stoves NEWCOMB, SIMON BOLIVAR, attorney-at-law
Calvert, W. J., watchmaker OLMSTEAD, R., general merchant
Cameron, Daniel, lumberman O'NEIL, JAMES, innkeeper
Carpenter, S. B. W., clerk Palmer, James, Sr.
Chase, John Palmer, James, Jr., toll-gate keeper
Clinton, James, carpenter Patton, Henry
Colbourn, Erastus, laborer Pease, Lewis B.
Cope, John, blacksmith Ranney, James
Cowell, Lambert, laborer Sanderson, Courtland
Cram, Angus, blacksmith. SCOTT, AARON H., patentee of new
Crandall, Aaron, mason lever power
Crandall, Charles, mason Shup, Frederick, laborer
Crandall, Joseph P., mason Slaght, Silas, general merchant
Crocker, J. W. STILLWELL, ---, hotel and stage
Dalrymple, Robert, cabinet maker proprietor
Darrow, George, blacksmith STONEHOUSE, EDWARD, attorney at law,
Darrow, William, blacksmith and conveyancer
Dewan, John, tailor Taylor, George, shoemaker
FERGUSON, C.W. general merchant Taylor, Peter, shoemaker
Foote, A. J. "THE HERALD," [weekly], T. A.
Franklin, Benjamin, physician & surgeon McNamara, editor and proprietor
Goodwin, Thomas Thompson, John, harness maker
Gurnett, John, clerk TILSON, EDWIN D., lumber yard
Graham, Mrs., select school and saw mills
Gregg, James, laborer Tilson, George, gentleman
Harris, Thomas, harness maker Tilson, George B., turner
Harvey, William, carpenter Turner, Wm. E., tailor
Hill, Charles Usher, William
JACKSON, WM. T., livery stables VAN NORMAN, A., groceries, dry goods &c.
JOY, SYLVANUS, M. D., physician
and surgeon VAN NORMAN, BENJ., lumberman
KELSO, DAVID, cabinet maker Van Norman, Johnson
Kimpton, Mrs. Van Norman, Lewis B.
Lighten, Thomas Watkins, Joseph
Lunnen, William, watchmaker WEST, WILLIAM, general merchant,
McDONALD, W., tailor and clothier Wheeler, Samuel, shoemaker
McDonald, William Whittaker, John, pump maker
McIntyre, Peter Wilson, Alexander, butcher
McIntyre, R., tanner Wilcox , Reuben
McIntyre, Sarah J. Wilson, William, laborer
A small Village of the Township of North Oxford, on the 4th
Concession, 4th Lot, on the old stage road, 8 miles from
Woodstock, containing one store, a grist and saw will,
blacksmith and shoe shop. It also contains a Wesleyan Methodist
Church, built of brick, erected in 1856, and cost
$3,500, there is no resident pastor, the Rev. Mr. Lund of
Woodstock officiates occasionally. The School has an average
attendance of 45 pupils.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Arnold, Thomas H., general merchant Galbraith, T. J., saw and grist mill
Burdick, Samuel, blacksmith Kate, George, mason
Clark, A., boot and shoemaker
Dean, Solomon, engineer Pierce, Samuel, miller
Dibble, David M., M.D., physician Tidey, Miss Martha, teacher
and surgeon Vandecar, Israel D., mill owner
A Post Village of Blenheim Township, situated on north half of
Lots 12 and 13, on the 12th Concession, and south half of 12
and 13, on the 13th Concession. The first survey was made by
James Black, P.L.S., November 1851, for Arthur John Robertson,
and Mr. Street of Niagara. It contains two stores, one
Wesleyan Methodist Church, one School, average attendance, 75,
one first class cabinet and chair factory, propelled by water
power, also, one tannery, a wagon and two blacksmith shops, two
shoe shops, and a tavern. Population about 100.
Wesleyan Methodist Church, erected in 1859, and dedicated 1st.
January, 1860, was built at a cost of $2,500, and seated for 400 persons.
Rev. Samuel Fear, and Rev. David Chalmers, Pastors. Trustees- James Watson,
John Brundle, senr., Daniel Wakefield, Moses Reynolds, Wm. Baldwin,
Abraham R. Stauffer, Elias G. Chamberlin, Andrew Oliver.
WASHINGTON LODGE, NO. 120, B. A. O. of G. T.
Organized on the 23rd May, 1859. Meets over Mr. Chamberlin's Store, every
Monday evening. P. O. address Washington.
W. C. T., Joshua Brundle W. O. G., James Battye
W. V., Eliza A. Chamberlin W. I. G., Margaret Thompson
W. C., Nelson Reynolds W. A. S., Ann E. Thompson
W. S., James Winterburn W. A. M., Martha Brundle
W. F. S., Edward Boucher, Jr. W. R. H. S., Martha Johnson
W. M., James Ritchie W. L. H. S., Emily Day
W. T., Hannah Trouse W. P. W. C. T., Garhard Bretze
W. D. G. T., E. G. Chamberlin
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Baldwin, Wm., farmer Harmer, Elijah, at Farmer's Inn
Basted, Francis, boot and shoemaker Harmer, Henry, prop., Farmer's Inn
Bingman, John, farmer Heil, Theobold
Brundle, John, senr. Jacquemain, Wm., at Vogt & Gilles'
Buchanan, Wm., farmer Johnson, John, farmer
BURTON, E. L., turner at Vogt & Gilles' Kilder, Henry, cabinet maker at
Vogt and Gilles'
CHALMERS, REV. DAVID, McDONALD, WM., blacksmith and
Wesleyan Methodist horse shoer
CHAMBERLIN, ELIAS G., dealer Oliver, Andrew, cabinet maker at
in dry goods, groceries, hardware, Vogt & Gilles'
patent medicines, &c. Oliver, Andrew, carpenter and builder
Dieble, Conrad, painter at Voght & Sherk, Levi, carpenter and builder
Gilles' Simpson, Martin
DUNN, JNO., cabinet maker at Vogt Stauffer, Christopher, farmer
& Gilles' Thompson, John Q. A., shoe shop
DUNN, WM., merchant and Deputy VOGT & GILLES, cabinet and chair
FEAR, REV. SAMUEL, Wesleyan Vogt, George, (Vogt and Gilles)
Fisher, Christian, cabinet maker WAKEFIELD, DANIEL, farmer
Gammon, William, carriage and wagon and postmaster
maker Walker, Robert, farmer
Gilles Michael, (Vogt & Gilles) cabinet Wallace, William, painter
manufacturer Wallis, James, blacksmith and horse
Graham, John, carpenter and builder shoer
Grahbuhl, David, upholsterer at Vogt WATSON, REV. JAMES, Methodist
WIND FALL MILLS
Situated on the 7th Concession, 19th Lot, of Blenheim. There
is also a School Section number 12, half a mile from the Mills,
with an average attendance of 40 pupils.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
CAPRON, JOHN B., prop, Wind Herbert, William, laborer
Fall Mills McCarty, Patrick, sawyer
Dunn, Thomas, laborer Martin, Miss Jane, teacher
Ferriby, Robert, teamster Westbrook, John, foreman at mill
Flewgard, Edward, head sawyer
A Post Village of the Township of Blenheim on the 8th Concession,
8th Lot, and situated on the river Nith, 2 1/2 miles east of Drumbo,
20 miles from Woodstock, 10 miles from Paris, and 5 miles from Ayr.
It was settled by Enos Wolverton in 1848, and the Village plat was
surveyed in 1851 by Thomas Alchin, P. L. S-Now it contains two Churches,-
Methodist, a frame building cost $400, and the Baptist, a frame, cost
$600. The number of pupils at school average 40. Mail, tri-weekly.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Alex, C., tailor Dawson, George, builder
ALLISON, W. &. J., lumber dealers, Dawson, Thomas, farmer
bds Meggs Hotel Dawson, William, farmer
ANDREW, WM., oat meal mill Duffy, Hugh, laborer
Armstrong, Wm., cooper Edgar, John, boot and shoe manufacturer
Bain, Peter, millwright
Bawtinhimer, Absolom, wagon maker England, James, saw mill owner
BAWTINHIMER, CHRISTOPHER, Forsyth, Elijah, carpenter
blacksmith and horse shoer Gear, Levi, teamster
Brown, James, laborer GROVE, JOHN WM., sawyer
Brown, John H., flax factory Halstead, David, lumber dealer
Buckberry, Hugh, laborer Herman, Fred., (Kaiser & Herman)
Burgess, Wm., laborer Hoggarth, David, farmer
Chesney, Henry, cooper shop Honeyman, Eben, farmer
Chesney, Robert, saw mill owner Hunt, Robert B., book agent
CHESNEY & ENGLAND, saw mill KAISER & HERMAN, cooper shop
proprietors Kaiser, John G., (Kaiser & Herman)
COLE, L. B., merchant and postmaster Laughlin, John, at flax factory
Lovett, John, school teacher
Coulson, ---, ashery McKAY, WM., cooper at Kaiser &
Currey, James, & Bros., grist mill and Herman's
saw mill proprietors MALONE, WM., cooper at Kaiser &
Davidson, Robert, laborer Herman's
Dawson, Robert, laborer MEGGS, JOHN, prop., Meggs Hotel
Dawson, Geo. W., farmer Milton, Isaac, carpenter
Mitchell, Thomas, farmer Simpson, Samuel, farmer
Mitchell, Wm., cooper Sipes, Henry, farmer
MONTGOMERY, JAMES, cooper at Sipes, James, farmer
Kaiser and Hannan's Standon, John, chairmaker
Montgomery, James, cooper Trinneman, George & James, farmers
Moxley, Wm., laborer Turner, Stephen H., cooper at Kaiser
Orr, Alex., laborer and Herman's
Phillips, Elijah, laborer Wallace, Abraham, farmer
Printer, Robert, blacksmith WARNER, F., steam stave factory
Reid, Richard, lumberman Wolverton, Enos, gentleman
Is the County Town and Judicial seat of the County of Oxford.
It was incorporated as a town by Act of Parliament 19 and 20
Victoria, cap. 98 (date of incorporation, 1st January, 1857,)
with the following corporate limits, viz:
"Commencing on the northerly limit of Dundas street, at a point where
a post has been planted at the south-west angle of lot number 18,
in the 1st concession of the township of Blandford; thence in a
northerly direction along the western boundary of the said lot,
to the allowance for road between the first and second concessions
of the said township of Blandford; thence continuing the same course
to the northerly limit of the said road allowance; thence westerly
along the said northerly limit to the river Thames; thence in
continuation of the last mentioned course, across the said river
to the water's edge, on the westerly bank thereof, to a point
opposite the southerly bank of Cedar creek; thence along the
water's edge of Cedar creek, on the southern side thereof, to the
eastern limit of the allowance for road between lot number 21 in
the first concession of the township of East Oxford, and the Gore
between East and West Oxford: thence southerly along the said
eastern limit to the southern limit of the allowance for road
between the first and second Concessions of the said towmship
of East Oxford; thence easterly along the said southern limit to
a point opposite to the centre of lot number 18 in the first
concession of the said township; thence on a line equi-distant
from the eastern and western side lines of the said lot number 18,
on a course about north 15 degrees 40 minutes west, to Dundas street;
thence continuing the same course to northern limit of Dundas
street; and thence westerly along the northern limit of Dundas
street to the place of beginning."
This town is one of the municipalities of the North Riding of
Oxford, of which it also forms electorally a part. It is
situated on an elevated land contiguous to and parallel with
the Great Western Railway, and on the borders of the river
Thames and Cedar creek, distant from Hamilton 48 miles, from
Niagara Suspension Bridge 91 miles, from Paris 19 miles, and
from London, C. W., 29 miles. It has a fine healthy location,
and is the centre of a rich agricultural country, unsurpassed
for beauty of landscape and fertility of soil, being
surrounded by well stocked farms, tilled in a superior
style, with farm buildings of the most improved description,
while the villa-like residences of the respective owners betoken
wealth and refined taste. It has increased in population during
the last ten years by one thousand two hundred and fifteen, its
nunber according to the census returns of 1861 being three
thousand three hundred and twenty-seven, (one thousand, six hundred
and forty three males, and one thousand six hundred and eighty
four females), and that of 1851, two thousand one hundred and twenty one.
Manufactures of various kinds and general commerce, but more
particularly the buying, selling, and forwarding of wheat,
form the principal business of the place. Its general
business comprises numerous stores-wholesale and retail-
workshops of the various branches of mechanical industry.
Especial mention may be made of the Woodstock Iron Works,
established in 1842, and owned and carried on by H. P. Brown,
where stoves, threshing machines, plows, cultivators, mill
gearing, tin and sheet iron ware, are manufactured, and
material turned out of the annual value of $30,000. In this
establishment there is a 10 horse power engine in operation,
and 18 men employed. The Vulcan Iron Foundry, of which Copp and Brother
are proprietors, (who have also a large wholesale and retail
stove and tin establishment in Hamilton), is another very
extensive establishment, with a 13-horse power engine,
employing 24 men, and melting about 300 tons of iron per annum.
This firm manufactures Stoves, agricultural implements, tin and
sheet-iron ware. There is also a magnificent brick-buiit steam
grist and flouring mill, five stories in height, erected at a
cost of $40,000, and carried on by Eaton & Wood. It was set in
operation in 1856, and is celebrated in the New York market
for its superior brand of flour; it is capable of
maufacturing 250 barrels of flour per day. Henry Frizelle
owns and carries on a steam grist and flouring mill, situated
on Dundas street, East Woodstock, where he manufactures 100
barrels a day. Another mill, by Clarke & Co., turns out 50
barrels a day. There is likewise an extensive barrel and stave
factory, owned by Thomas J. Clark. In the manufacture of
leather, Brown & Wilson, have a very extensive tannery,
situated near Cedar creek on Mill street; this firm have been
doing business over twenty years. Lately they suffered a very
heavy loss by the destruction of their prenmises by fire. New
buildings are, however, now erected. Another tannery is carried
on by Wm. Wilson, on Burtch street, East Woodstock, who is doing
a large business. There is also a Patent Medicine factory,
of which Robert Stark, chemist and druggist, is proprietor,
where $50,000 worth of medicine is annually manufactured. Also
a large wholesale and retail book and paper warehouse, and
extensive blsnk book manufactory and general book-bindery on
Dundas street, West-End, and another bindery establishment on
Graham street. In the immediate neighborhood of the town and
on the London and Hamilton road, there is the best oil refinery
in the Province, owned and carried on by the following gentlemen
as a firm: Jordan Charles, James Kintrea, and William Spencer,
turning out 400 barrels of refined oil per week. There is also
an extensive brewery carried on by S. Collins. The principal
buildings of the town are of brick. It possesses an excellent
Town Hall with Market House underneath, and surmounted by a
belfry and Weather guage.
The Courts of Law are held in a large and commodious building
situated on Hunter street, and the offices of the County Clerk,
County Court, and Deputy Clerk of the Crown, and Division Court
Clerk are in the same building. Close to the Court house, and
located on the corner of Light and Hunter streets, is the
Registry office for the County and County Treasurer's office,
built at an expense of $3,200. In rear of the Court House is the
new jail erected in 1854-5, at a cost of $26,000; during the last
year an additional expenditure of $6,000 was made toward its improvement
and more comfortable accommodation. The town also contains
seven churches, viz: one Church of England, one Presbyterian,
in connection with the established church of Scotland, three
Presbyterian, formed of the union of the Free Church of Scotland
and original United Presbyterian, one Wesleyan Methodist, one
Regular Baptist, and a Roman Catholic Church, whose services are
conducted in the Town Hall, pending the erection of their new church.
The Canadian Literary Institute is located at the east end of
the town, and has a very pleaant site on a rising ground,
commanding splendid scenic views. It is a noble structure,
(reflecting great credit on its architect, David White,)
of three wings or compartments, surmounted by a handsome
dome, having five large entrance doors, spacious halls and
school rooms, with comfortable and well ventilated dormitories
for the resident pupils, together with ample play grounds
and all the "means and appliances to boot," for their healthy
recreation and amusement. With the great advantages which it
possesses coupled with the efficiency of its staff of Professors
and Teachers, this educational establishment is rendered one of
the best scholastic institutions in the western part of the Province.
The present structure has been but recently built, and on the site of
the original one, which was erected at a cost of about $30,000,
but which was destroyed by a disastrous fire in January, 1861.
The Institute is under the control of the Regular Baptist
denomination. It has three different departments, viz;
Primary, Higher, and Theological, the average attendance on
which, consists of fully 100 students. The Primary school is
attended by pupils over eleven years of age, who study the
various branches of an ordinary English education. In the Higher
Department, the students are prepared for the study of Theology,
or, for matriculation in Arts, Law, or Medicine. The fees for
attendance in these departments vary from $20 to $28 per year.
In the Theological Departmemmt, attended by about 30 students,
the tuition is gratis.
Woodstock is a chief Station of the Great Western Railway.
Stages run from the Town north, south, east and west.
Council meets second Monday in every month, at the Council
Chamber, Town Hall.
Mayor, William Wilson Reeve, Homer P. Brown
Deputy Reeve, John M'Whinnie
ST. ANDREW'S WARD-Thomas Oliver, Jordon Charles, and James Hay
ST. PATRICK'S WARD-William Scarff, John McWhinnie, and Henry Parker
ST. GEORGE'S WARD-Homer P. Brown, Wm. Grey, and Henry Silvester
ST. DAVID'S WARD-Thomas Cottle, Dr. John Turquand, and Robert N. Light
ST. JOHN'S WARD-John Bain, F. B. Schofield, and John Beard
TREASURER-Thomas Scott Messenger-John Harrison
CLERK-John Greig Chief Constable-William Corrie
On Dundas Street, between Wellington and Victoria Streets.
Office open from half past eight a.m., to six p.m, not open on
Sabbath days. Mails twice each way, from East and West, daily.
Charles de Blaquiere, P. M. George Weeks, Assistant, P. M.
William Hargrave, Clerk.
CHURCH OF ENGLAND
Situated on Dundas Street, East, brick, built in 1833, cost twelve
thousand two hundred dollars. Rev. William Bettridge, B. D., Rector.
Church Wardens-John Beard and Charles de Blaquiere. John Beard
secretary and Treasurer. John Deverall, Sexton.
Located on Delatre Street, brick, built in 1842, dimensions 44 x 64,
cost $4800, seated for 400. Rev. Duncan McDiarmid, Rector and
Moderator of Kirk, Session, Adam Gordon, Chairman of Board of
Trustees. John Matheson, Sec. John Dingwall, Treasurer.
Alexander Green, Sexton.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF CANADA
Situated on Finkle Street, brick, built in 1853, dimensions 30 x 54,
cost $1000, seated for 250. Rev. William Inglis, Pastor. John Bain,
Chairman of Board of Trustees. John Dick, Secretary. George White, Treasurer.
Situated on Elgin Street, brick, built in 1849, dimenrions 40 x 60,
cost $6000, seated for 600, galleries and three sides round,
and basement. Rev. W. T. McMullen, Pastor. Alex. McKay, Chairman
of Board of Trustees. Andrew Jeffrey, Secretary. John Douglas, Treasurer.
Situated on Graham Street, brick, built in 1854, dimensions 40 x 70,
cost $8000. Rev. William Stephenson, Pastor and Chairman (ex officio)
of Board of Trustees. James Scarff, Financial and Recording Secretary.
George Parr, sexton.
Situated on Adelaide Street, built of brick. No stated minister at
present, supplied by Dr. Fyfe, and Rev. W. Stewart. James Cox, Church Clerk.
C. Carryer, Treasurer. R. Godfrey, sexton.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Church in course of erection, cost of building about $1600,
brick, services in the Town Hall at present, the third Sunday
in the month, alternatively with East Oxford. Rev. Lewis Grifa, Preist.
Church Depository for Bibles, Testaments, Prayer and Hymn Books,
Church Music, &c. in connection with the British and Foreign Church
Society. Geo. Bowditch, Depositary.
The Committee hold their quarterly meetings at the Depository,
in the months of April, July, October, and January.
OFFICES OF THE WOODSTOCK BRANCH BIBLE SOCIETY
President, Hon. George Alexander Treasurer, George Nasmyth
Vice-President, Rev. Dr. Fyfe Sec. & Depositary, H. Nasmyth
KING SOLOMON'S LODGE, No. 34, G. R. C.
Regular communications, Tuesday on or before full moon. Meets at
the Masonic Hall, Dundas Street.
W. M., George Forbes S. D., John Hislop
S. W., Roderick McKay J. D., Alex. Pelham
J. W., John Chalmers Tyler, Henry Brown
Treas., John Hay P. M., Alex. McCleneghan
Sec., H. Bryant
Oxford Lodge, No. 76, G. R. C.
Regular communications, second Wednesday of each month. Meets
at the Masonic Hall, Dundas street.
W. M., John Turquand Treas., C. W. Whitehead
S. W., Francis Bell Sec., John G. McKay
J. W., Robert W. Carrall Tyler, Henry Brown
ROYAL ARCH CHAPTER
Stated convocations, first Monday of the month. Election, first
Friday in January. Meets at the Masonic Hall, Dundas street.
Officers of Chapter
Z., G. W. Whitehead J. S., J. Charles
H., R. A. Woodcock Treas., H. P. Brown
J., George Forbes Janitor, H. Brown
E., W. F. Ross 1st Veil, F. Bell
N., C. L. Beard 2nd Veil, Thomas Bowers
P. S., R. W. W. Carrall Steward, Henry Hack
S. S., J. Turquand " Alex. Pelham
LOYAL ORANGE ASSOCIATION
Orange Lodge, No. 93
John Lindsay, W. M. Deputy Master, Secretary, Treasurer, five
Committeemen, Stewart and Tyler.
CHRYSTAL FOUNT TEMPLE, I. O. G. T.
Meets each Wednesday evening at Lodge Room on Wellington
street. Fifty members.
W. C. T., George Hadskiss W. D. M., Helen Hewit
W. V. T., Eliza Edwards W. I. G., Miss M. Pitman
W. S., George Copp W. O. G., J. Kelly
W. F. S., S. Stevens W. A. S., Maria Shaw
W. T., Mrs. Stevens W. R. H. S., Miss M. Deverall
W. M., J. Perry W. L. H. S., Eliza, Hadskiss
WOODSTOCK TEMPLE, NO. 278.
Night of Meeting, each Friday evening in Lodge Room on
Wellington street. Forty five members.
W. C. T., Richard White W. C., Thomas Henry
W. V. T., Mrs. Chambers W. M., Martin Barney
W. F. S., J. Falconer W. D. M., Miss E. McLeod
W. S., Nathan Bouchner W. O. G., J. Harrison
W. T., Mrs. Frizelle W. I. G., Miss M. McLeod
EQUITABLE BUILDING SOCIETY
Organized in 1859. Meets first Monday in every month, at
James Ingesoll's office.
Shares, £50, payable in monthly instalments of $1.00.
President, Wm. Grey Vice-President, Wm. Scarff
James Ingersoll James Martin
Hugh Mckinnon F. B. Schofield
George Forbes Martin Shiners
Jonathan Martin John Gordon, Sec.
SUBSCRIPTION LIBRARY AND MECHANIC'S INSTITUTE
The subscription library was first established on the 12th
The Library and Mechanic's institute were incorporated on the
28th. of June 1863. The libiary now numbers twelve hundred volumes,
and is open on Monday evening from 7 to 8 o'clock, p. m., and on
Saturdays from 1 to 3 p. m., at the Mechanics Hall, east side
of Wellington street. Entrance fee, 50 Cents. Yearly subscription, $1.25.
President, Thomas J. Cottle Vice President, James Simpson
William Edwards John McWhinnie
Roderick McDonald Andrew Jeffrey
Thomas Oliver Thomas Henry
John Dingwall, Corresponding Sec. William Wilson, Librarian
John Greig, Sec. and Treas.
WOODSTOOK VOLUNTEER RIFLE COMPANY
Organized 1861. Meet for drill twice a week, at the Town Hall.
Captain, Wm. S. Light Lieutenant, H. P. Brown
Ensign, Robert Nimmo
Non Commissioned Officers
1st Sergeant, - McMullin 1st Corporal, V. N. G. Graham
2nd Sergeant, - Deverall 2nd Corporal, John Budd
The Grammar School was established in 1843. The present building
was erected in 1848-Messrs. White & Dixon, contractors-at a cost
of about two thousand four hundred dollars, and is situated
on the corner of Hunter and Graham streets. The school has been
under the charge of Mr. George Strauchan, the present efficient
and much esteemed gentleman, over sixteen years. A thorough classical,
mathematical, and higher English education can be here acquired.
The number of pupils attending, varies from thirty five to fifty.
GORE BANK AGENCY
Offices on Dundas street, corner of Wellington. Edward Ambrose, agent;
C. R. Turquand, teller; J. G. Eddington, accountant; J. E. Wetenhall,
clerk. Office open from 10 a.m., to 3 p. m.
Woodstock Brass Band
Organized about 18 years ago. Seventeen members. Meet on Dundas street,
opposite Woodstock Iron Works, Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
Herr Straubel, Musical Director Thomas Scarff, Vice-President
Wm. Adams, Leader Thomas Brooks, Secretary
David Clyde, President Wm. Wilson, Treasurer
WOODSTOCK RIFLE BRASS BAND
Organized March, 1862. Number of members, nine. Meet over
Grant's shoe shop, East end, on Monday and Thursday evenings.
Thos. Snarey, President John Deverall, Vice-President
and musical director Enoch Huggins, Sec. and Treas.
Young People's Christian Association, in connection with the Wesleyan
Methodist Church. Regular meetings, every Monday evening from
1st of October to 1st of April, at 7 o'clock; from 1st of April
to 1st of October. at 7:30 o'clock.
TEACHERS ASSOCIATION, COUNTY OF OXFORD
Organized August 1862-Number of members, 40; The object of
the Association is Mutual Improvement. Meetings are held every
three months in different parts of the County.
President, Robt. McLean Richwood; 1st. Vice-President, Rev. William
Stephenson, Woodstock; 2nd Vice President, G. J. Fraser, Woodstock;
Secretary and Treasurer, J. F. Cullen, Woodstock.
There are two very large and handsome school buildings in
Woodstock - the one on the corner of Beale and Princes, and the
other on the corner of Hunter and Delatre Streets,-these
buildings were erected during the years 1853 and 54, at a cost of
(land, fencing and buildings included,) ten thousand five hundred
dollars. R. N. Light, A.M., Town Superintendent.
The Board of Trustees meet on the first Tuesday in each month.
Chairman Thomas J. Cottle, Hon. Secretary, H. Silvester.
Trustees-T. J. Cottle, J. Douglas, W. Scarff, S. Irvin, D. Peacock,
H. Silvester, J. Bain, A. Munro, G. Gurnett, R. Hall.
EAST END SCHOOL
Corner Beale and Princes Streets. Total number of pupils 450.
Senior Boys' department, average attendance, 88. J. F. Cullen,
Teacher, salary $500. Senior Girls' department, average attendance, 50.
Miss Adams, Teacher, salary $280. Junior department, average attendance,
100. Mrs. Byer, Teacher, salary, $220, and Miss Scarff, $120.
WEST END SCHOOL
Corner Hunter ad Delatre Streets. Total number of pupils, 400. Senior
Boys' department, average attendance, 55. Alexander Dick, Teacher,
salary $500. Senior Girls' department, - average attendance, 50.
Miss Kennedy, Teacher, salary, $280. Junior Department, average attendance,
100. Miss Logan, Teacher, salary $220, and Miss Sutherland, $120.
Sentinel-A Weekly, established 1st January, 1854, by Hay & McWhinnie.
In the same year Mr. Hay sold out his interest, and the paper was
conducted until 1858 by John McWhinnie & Son; since that time by
Robert McWhinnie-Mr. John McWhinnie as editor. Terms $1.50 per annum;
The Times-A Weekly paper of large size, established March, 1855,
published and edited by Alexander McCleneghan. Office, Dundas
street, near corner of Graham street. The Times is the official paper of
the County. Terms $1.00 a year.
CANADIAN CONSERVATIVE-A Weekly Quarto sheet, established December 1862,
by Alexander Hay and Stephen Lusted, as proprietors and editors:
Office on the north side of Dundas street, opposite Caister's Hotel.
Terms, $1.25 per annum in advance. Politics, Conservative.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, &c.
Abbott, Hudson, carriage-maker, BARWICK, JOHN, insurance agent
Adams, Thomas, bricklayer, Grace Bass, Ethelbert, carpenter,
Adams, Wm.,blacksmith, Railway res. Hunter
Adams, Wm., cooper, res. Main BAYNE & McKENZIE, carpenters
Addison, Barras, overseer, G.W.R W. and builders, rear of
res. near Depot Dr. A. Scott's residence
AETNA INSURANCE COMPANY BEATTIE, JOSEPH, grain merchant
HARIFORD, Wm. Grey, agent Finkle
Agroff, John, laborer, Mill BEARD, JOHN, fire and life insurance
Allan, George, laborer, Chapel agent, Victoria, near Dundas
Allan, Mrs., Huron
AMBROSE, EDWARD, agent Gore BEARD, HENRY B., barrister-at
Bank, cor. Dundas and law, office, corner Dundas and
Anderson, John, tailor, Bishop Benson, Thomas, livery stable, Dundas
Anderson, Wm., miller, res. Park Row Bell, John, blacksmith
Appleton, Mrs. res. Norwich Bell, John, blacksmith, Wellington
Arblaster, Thomas, gentleman, Graham Bell, Thomas, machinist, Riddle
ARNOLD, E. S., billiard saloon, Belshar, William, fanner, Mill
Dundas Bendyshe, Nelson, farmer, Huron
AUCHINLECK, SAMUEL, gentleman, Bent, Levi, carpenter, Cedar
Avery, Mark, cooper, Adelaide BETTRIDGE, Rev. WM., B. D.,
Bagley, James, laborer, Mary Rector Church of England, Dundas
BAIN, JOHN, cabinet manufacturer,
Dundas, East End Beyer, Mrs., music teacher, res. Huron
BARCLAY, JAMES, carpenter and BICKLE, JAMES, butcher shop,
joiner, Winniett Dundas
Barney, Maetin E., grocer and butcher Bickle, John, gentleman, Beale
Dundas BICKLE JOHN, butcher shop, Dundas
Barnes, Mrs., Adelaide
BARREL FACTORY, Mill, Thomas BICKLE, JOSEPH, butcher shop,
J. Clarke, prop. Dundas
Barr, David, watchmaker and jeweler, BICKLE, ROBERT, butcher shop,
Dundas street Dundas
Biggins, William, carpenter and Burness, Miss E., teacher, res. Wilson
builder, Wellington Burns, Matthew, teamster, Riddle
Bird, Robert, groceries, liquors, and Burke, E. Photographer, Dundas
crockery, Dundas Burwell, Richard, res. Woodstock Hotel
BISHOP, WM., proprietor Woodstock Burwell, W., res. Woodstock Hotel
Hotel, East End Burtch, Archibald, gentleman, Wilson
Blake, Robert, laborer, Wilson Burtch, H. T., farmer, res. Wilson
Bloomley, Mrs., grocery, Dundas Butler, William, laborer
Bloomley, Edward, brewery, Finkle Caister, Caleb, senr, gentleman, res.
Boosey, William miller, Finkle Brock
Bonnamy, T. P., ornamental painter, CAISTER, CALEB, Caister's Hotel,
&c., Adelaide Dundas
BOWDITCH, GEORGE, dealer in Campbell, Angus, blacksmith, res.
tinware, stoves, &c., Chapel
Dundas Campbell, Angus, cooper, Main
Bray, Mrs., James CAMPBELL, E. C., book and job
Brearley, William, gentleman, Teeple printer, Times
Brian, John, license inspector and Campbell, Gibson, book binder, bds.
Constable, Wilson North American
Brickerton, Ralph, carpenter, Dundas Campbell, John, laborer, Dundas
BRIMACOMBE, Mrs. DOROTHY, CANADA LIFE INSURANCE CO.,
North American Hotel, corner John Beard, agent, office
Dundas and Vansittart Victoria
BRIMACOMBE, G. O., North CANADA LANDED CREDIT CO.,
American Hotel John Beard, agent, office Victoria
BRITANNIA LIFE INSURANCE CANADA FARMERS' MUTUAL & STOCK
CO., John Beard, agent INSURANCE CO., John Beard, agent
Brooks, Mrs., Centre Cardns, William, wagon maker, Dundas
Brooks, Thomas, saddler, Dundas
Brooks, William, laborer, Huron CARRALL, HENRY, clerk in
Brotchie, John, tailor, Adelaide Sheriff's office, res. Raglan and
BROWN, A. B, & J. H. BRYANT, Park Row
BROWN, H. P., prop. Woodstock CARRALL, JAMES, Sheriff of County
Iron Works, Dundas of Oxford, res. West Woodstock
BROWN, HENRY, gentleman, res. CARRALL, R. W. W., M. D., res.
with H. P. Brown with James Carroll, Mill
Brown, Mrs. J. G., seamstress res.
Victoria CARROLL & BEARD, barristers at
BROWN & WILSON, (Thos. Brown law, office Dundas cor. Vansittart
and William Wilson), tannery
and leather dealers, Dundas Carroll, Mrs, widow, res. Light
Brown, William, switchman, res. CARRYER, C. C., saddlery, Dundas
Dundas CHALMERS, JOHN, groceries,
Brown, William, laborer, res. Dundas wines and liquors, Dundas
Brownrigg, James, tin peddler, res. Chance, John, brickmaker, res.
Bruce, Robert, seed store, Dundas Chapman, Henry, wagon maker
BUCHNER, NATHAN H., printer, CHARLES, JORDAN, collector of
bds. Finkle Customs, and President Wood
Budd, John, blacksmith, res. Mary Oil Refining Company, res.
Burgess, Marenus, deputy clerk, res. Bixley and Hunter
Brock CHERRY, JAMES, printer, Riddle
BURGESS, SAMUEL, Auctioneer Clarkson, John, night station master,
and Bailiff, res. Brock res. Perry
CLARENDON HOTEL, J. B. Van Crane, John, surgical instrument maker
Voorhis, proprietor, Finkle
Dundas Crawford, James, carriage maker, res.
Clarke, Alexander, salesman, bds. Simcoe
Dundas Crawford, John, wagon maker, Princes
Clark, Byron, blacksmith, Vansittart CRIPPS, GEORGE ROMAIN, book
Clark, George, cooper, Dundas and job printer, Times Office
Clark, James, salesman, Dundas Cromar, Mrs., res. Wilson
Clark, John O., ambrotypist, Dundas Cromwell, George, thresher, Mill
opp. Market Crosbie, James, tailor, Adelaide
Clark, Patrick, grocery, Dundas CULLEN, JOHN F., principal teacher,
CLARKE, LEVI, tin and sheet iron East End school, and professor of
ware, Finkle penmanship
Clarke, Walden, salesman, bds. Dundas Currie, William, mason, Mary
CLARKE, THOMAS J., proprietor Dancer, Mrs., teacher, private school
of steam barrel factory, Mill on Norwich
Clark, William, carpenter, Delatre Dash, Charles, saddler
Clear, Miss, millinery, Dundas Davidson, Alex., porter, G. W. R. W.,
Clement, Jas., wagon maker, Norwich res. Wilson
Close, Henry, brickmaker, Chapel Davis, A. & R., (Anthony and Robert),
CLOSE, JOSEPH, brickyard and tile painters, &c., Vansittart
manufacturer, potash, soap and DAVIS, FREDERICK W., blacksmith
candle works, Wilson shop and carriages, Wellington,
Close, William, brickmaker, Wilson res. same
Close, William, laborer, Hamilton Dease, William, salesman res. Riddle
Clows, Leonard, laborer, res. Teeple de BLAQUIERE, CHARLES, post master,
Code, James, student at Law, res. Dundas
cor. Dundas and Light de BLAQUIERE, HENRY, gentleman,
COGHILL, DONALD, boot and shoe Dundas
manufacturer, Dundas Denman, Mrs., Princes
COGHILL, JOHN, insurance agent Dent, Abraham, student at law,
for the Western Insurance Co. Dundas
&c., res. cor Primrose and Deverall, John, pensioner, Chapel
Norwich Dickson W. P., carpenter and builder,
Cole, Reuben, laborer, St. Mary's res. Buller
Collins, Francis, laborer, Hincks DICKS, ALEX, principal west end school
COLLINS, STEPHEN, brewery Dundas DINGWALL, JOHN, watchmaker
Cooke, Sherman T., steward Canadian and jeweler &c., Dundas
Literary Institute, Dobson, Joseph, brickmaker,
res. at Institute Wilson
Cook, Charles, grocery, crockery, wine Doherty, Mrs., dressmaker, res. Dundas
and liquor store, East Dundas Donaldson, James, shoemaker, res. York
COPP, GEORGE, printer, bds. Dundas DONALDSON, WM., meat market, Dundas
COPP & BROTHER, vulcan iron foundry Dorgan, William, student at law
Cormier, Joseph, shoemaker, Dundas cor. Dundas and Light
CORRIE, WlLLIAM, chief constable DORMAN, JOSEPH, meat market,
bds. Caister's Hotel Brock
Couzens, Mrs., milliner, res. Nelson Doston, Thomas, barber shop, Dundas
COX, JAMES, importer of dry goods Downey, John, carpenter and joiner,
groceries, &c., and manufacturer Norwich
of men and boys clothing, Douglas, D., saddler, Dundas
Dundas DOUGLAS, JOHN, saddler, Dundas
CRAIB & STEWART, (Peter Craib and Douglas, Mrs., Young
Dyonisias Stewart, builders, Douglas, Robert, saddler, Dundas
res. King Duggan, John, farmer, res. Bay
Dundas, Edmond Nelson, medical student, Frizelle, James H., engineer, Dundas
Dundas Fuller, David, carpenter, res. Dundas
Dunn, James, farmer, Vansittart FULLER, MERRITT, proprietor
Dunn, William, miller, res. Metcalfe Eldorado Hotel, Finkle
Dunseith, Hugh, feed store, Dundas FULLER, TITUS, prop. Elgin Hotel,
Eddington, J. G., accountant Gore Dundas
Bank, Dundas Fury, Michael, grocery aud fruit store,
Edgar, George, carpenter, Huron FYFE, R. A., D. D., Principal Canadian
Edgar, Joseph, shoemaker, Dundas Literary Institute
EDGAR, WILLIAM, saddlery and and
harness, Dundas GAHAN, E. F., clerk division court,
Edwards, N. R., blacksmith shop office, Court House, res.
Edwards, William, painter, and general Vansittart
decorator, Dundas Galloway, Andrew, carriage maker,
Eden, Mrs. straw milliner, Vansittart Vansittart
Eden, Thomas, boot and shoe store, Gamlin, William, laborer, Riddle
Dundas Garbutt, Willian, tanner, Mill
EGAN, JOHN, tinshop, Dundas Gardner & Rose, (William Gardner
EGAN, MAURICE, carpenter, and Hugh Rose), blacksmiths,
Buller carriage and wagon makers,
Egan, Mrs., millinery, Vansittart
Dundas Gayfer, Alfred, cashier at Parker and
ELDORADO HOTEL, Merritt Fuller, Hoods, bds. Dundas
proprietor, Finkle, opposite Gayfer, John, druggist, bds. Vansittart
Market Gayfer, Henry, groceries and crockery,
ELGIN HOTEL, T. Fuller, proprietor, Dundas
Dundas Getman, Conrad, cooper, bds. Dundas
Elliott, Archibald, cabinet maker, Giles, George, laborer, Huron
Vansittart Godfried, Chormann, saddler, res.
Elton, William, chair maker, Wilson Dundas
Elton, Samuel, cabinet maker, Dundas GOLDTHORPE, A., merchant tailor,
Elstone, George, mason, Wellington clothier, and prop. St. George's
Evans, ---, weaver, Light Hotel
Evans, E. P., shoemaker, Dundas GORDON, ADAM, grocery, crockery,
Fantham, George, laborer, Burtch wine and liquor store, Dundas east
Ferguson, Edward, barber shop, Dundas GORDON, JOHN, book keeper, Graham
FIELD, G. C., M. D., homoeopathic
physician, Dundas GORE MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY,
Filey, Abraham, bricklayer, Finkle James Izard agent,
Finkle, Alexander, student at law, res. office, Dundas
Mill Gough, Mrs., millinery, second door
Finkle, Henry J., student at law, w. of P. O., Dundas
Dundas Gould, W. R., chairmaker, Wilson
Finkle, Miss, Vansittart Grafenhorst, Edward, shoe shop,
Fish, George, student at John Greig's, Dundas
Bds. Mrs. Ross, Perry Graham, Arthur, farmer, Wilson
Fisher, Samuel, painter, res. Nelson Graham, F. A., student at
Fitch, Herman, student Canadian Miller's, bds. Dundas
Institute, res. Anne GRAHAM, JOHN, prop'r Victoria
Fitkin, William, teamster, Dundas House, Finkle
FORBES, GEORGE, governor of Graham, Mrs., res. Dundas
gaol, res. Light Graham, Murdoch, cabinet maker,
Forbes, John, gentleman, Hunter Mary
Forbes, William, turnkey, at jail Graham, V. N. G., res. Dundas
Fraser, George J., night operator, Grant, Thomas, shoe shop, Dundas
res. Bay Grass, Michael, laborer, York
GRAY, GEORGE A., barrister, &c., Haskin, Samuel, student, bds. Bishop's
res. east Dundas Hotel, Dundas
Grey, George, carriage trimmer, HATCH., JOSEPH, grain merchant,
Dundas res. Bay
Grayson, ---, bds. Hicks Hatch, Mrs., Dundas
Great Western Inn, Robert Raymer, Hatton, Thomas, butcher, Dundas
Dundas Hawn, Mrs., York
Gregory, Hanson, carpenter, and agent Hawkins, Henry, barber, Dundas
for Victoria washing machine, Hay, Charles, salesman, Dundas
Adelaide Hay, George, carpenter, Simcoe
Green, Alexander, shoemaker, west HAY, JAMES, cabinet maker, &C.,
Green, William, agent for Brown, HAY, JOHN, boot and shoe manufacturer,
Gillespie & Co., res. Graham corner Dundas and Light
Green, William, shoemaker, Graham HAY, ROBERT, restaurant and oyster
Green, William, teamster, Drew depot, Dundas cor. Graham
GREIG, JOHN, attorney at law, off Hay, William, saddler, Dundas
Dundas, opposite Woodstock Iron Heath, Charles, wagonmaker,
GREY, WILLIAM, fire and life Heath, George, blacksmith, Peel
insurance agent, land agent, Heath, Jonathan, wagon maker, res.
issuer of marriage licenses, Grace
Dundas near Market Hedrey, Mrs., Adelaide
Gunn, Alexander, carpenter, res. Henderson, John, cabinetmaker,
Gunn, Hugh teamster, Dundas Hendrey, William, salesman, bds.
GUNN, JAMES, groceries, crockery, Adelaide
shelf hardware, wines and Henry, Thomas, grocer, Dundas
liquors, Dundas West Henry, John, merchant, Princess
Gunn, Lachlan, tailor Hext, Thomas, carriage finisher,
Gunn, Robert, carpenter, Mill Simcoe
Guppy, Edward, boot and shoe shop, Hext, Thomas, laborer, res. Railway
Dundas HICKS, GEORGE A., prop'r Commercial
Gurnett, Gabriel, saddler, Riddle Hotel
Hadskiss, Hugh, turner, Chapel Hill, John W., miller, res. Dundas
Hague, William, laborer, James Hill, Joshua, apprentice saddler,
Hall, Robert, carpenter, Bay Dundas
Hall, William, engineer, Brock Holmes, David, salesman, bds.
Hamlyn, Allas, laborer, Teeple Victoria
Hamlyn, John, carpenter, Teeple Holmes, James, salesman, Vansittart
Handley, William H., salesman, bds. HOME INSURANCE COMPANY
Caister's, Dundas OF NEW YORK, Wm. Grey, Agent
Hankey, Victor, carriage shop, Dundas Hoskins, John, res. Woodstock Hotel
Hardie, Peter, shoe shop, Dundas Huffman, Franklin, clerk Custom
Hargrave, William, clerk, Peel house, bds. cor. Bexley & Hunter
Harman, John, shoemaker, res. Dundas Huggins, Enoch, engineer, Adelaide
Harp, Edwin T., Huron Hughes, James, carpenter, Riddle
Harrison, John, cabinet shop, Teeple HUNTINGTON, HENRY, residence
Harrison, John, bricklayer, Adelaide Woodstock Hotel
HARTFORD FIRE INSURANCE Hurst, George, merchant, res. Hincks
COMPANY, John Beard, agent ILES, CHARLES, clerk Registry of Office
Harvener, John, brickmaker, Dundas INGERSOLL, JAMES, register of
Harwood, George, confectionery and the County of Oxford,
bakery, Dundas res. Vansittart
Inman, Joseph, shoemaker, res. Langstaff, Robert, shoe shop, res.
International Grist and Flouring Mills, LANKTREE, Dr. W., vegetable
Dundas east, Henry Frizelle, medicines, Dundas
proprietor Lapenotiere, Edward, clerk, Dundas
Irvin, Robert, salesman, bds. Riddle LAPENOTIERE, FRED. JOHN,
Irvin, Samuel, carpenter and builder, attorney, and deputy clerk of the
Riddle Peace, office, Court House, res.
Izard, Miss C. H., telegraph operator, Dundas
office, Dundas, opposite LAPENOTIERE, WILLIAM, attorney
Brown's foundry and clerk of the Peace,
IZARD, HENRY, teacher, office, Court House, res. Dundas
Light Law, Thomas, shoe shop, Dundas
IZARD, JAMES, auctioneer and general Leid, John, tinsmith, res. Reeve
commission agent, telegraph LEWIN, CHARLES, chair maker
office, Dundas, opposite and painter, Dundas
Brown's foundry LIFE ASSOCIATION OF SCOTLAND,
JAMES, WILLIAM, cooper, Oxford William Grey, agent
JEFFREY, A. jr., hardware and coal, Lindlay, George, potash maker, res.
Jenkins, Samuel, res. Woodstock Litchfield, Charles, tinsmith, res.
Jiles, Charles, laborer, Hamilton LIVERPOOL & LONDON FIRE & LIFE
Jiles, Mrs., Hamilton INSURANCE COMPANY,
Jiles, Philip, potash manufacturer, John Beard, agent
Johns, Solomon, cooper, Mill Loudon, Mrs., dressmaker, Dundas
JOHNSON, JOHN, station master, Love, Thomas, cabinet maker, Hincks
G. W R., res. at station house Loveland, Nathan, moulder, res.
Johnston, Mrs., Dundas Winnett
Johnston, Roderick, laborer, Dundas Lovering, William, moulder, res.
JOLLY FARMER HOTEL, Daniel Matthew, Winnett
proprietor Lovering, William, bakery, Dundas
Jones, Walter, gentleman, res. Huron Ludington, Ezra, farmer, Teeple
Kahn, Charles, dentist, Woodstock LUSTED, STEPHEN, (HAY and LUSTED,
Hotel Canadian Conservative,
Kellogg, Mrs., Oxford Dundas
Kelly, Mrs., Grace Luxton, James, res. Woodstock Hotel
Kennet, Isaac, laborer, Riddle Lyons, Timothy, gardener, Light
KiIborn, W. F., photographic artist, McAllan, William, shoemaker, Teeple
Dundas McBeth, Mrs., Young
King, Thomas R., cabinet shop, McCabe, Patrick, cooper, bds. Dundas
Vansittart McCLENEGHAN, ALEX., Editor
King, William, veterinary surgeon, and proprietor Times, Dundas
KINTREA, JAMES, county treasurer, McCulloch, Donald, laborer, Simcoe
deputy clerk of the crown, McCummins, Joseph, shoemaker, res.
and clerk of the County Court, Simcoe
res. corner Centre and John McCurrie, Mrs., Beale
Kollmyer, Sovereign, manufacturer and McDonald, Alex., bricklayer, Winnett
dealer in furniture, Dundas McDonald, Archibald, laborer, Winnett
Lambert, Edward, grain merchant, res.
Peel McDonald, Donald, laborer, Reeve
Lanaway, James, laborer, Light McDonald, Donald, laborer, Hunter
Lanaway, Joseph, carpenter, Light McDonald, James, shoemaker, Givins
Lancaster, Stephen, apprentice black- McDonald, James, salesman, Dundas
smith, res. Bay McDonald, Norman, laborer, Albert
McDONALD, RODERICK, notary McLEOD, WM C., wholesale and retail
public conveyancer, &c., Dundas dry goods and hardware, Dundas
McGinnis, Donald, laborer, Givins McNaughton, Alex., salesman, res.
McGregor, Gregor, shoemaker, Brock George
McGregor, James R., salesman, McNaughton, Mrs., George
Dundas McPherson, D., bakery, Dundas
McGuinn, John, laborer, Delatre McVee, Alex., tailor, Dundas
McInherney, Michael, moulder, Brock McWHINNIE, JOHN, editor weekly
McInnis, Angus, laborer, Hunter Sentinel
McIntosh, Alex., blacksmith, McWHINNIE, ROBERT & CO.,
Vansittart booksellers and stationers, Dundas
McIntosh, Alex., plasterer, Dundas McWHINNIE, ROBERT, proprietor
McINTYNE, JOHN, groceries, wines Sentinal, Dundas
and liquors, Dundas Macklin, John, book keeper, bds. Dundas
McKAY, ALEX., tailor, Dundas
McKay, Andrew, grocery, Dundas Maddison, Mrs. F., res. Bay
McKay, Angus, blacksmith shop, MANSION HOUSE, cor. Finkle and
Dundas Main, Thomas Tallman, prop.
McKay, David, carpenter, Winnett Marr, Joseph, laborer, Peel
McKay, Donald, saddler, Dundas Malcolm, James, res. Victoria
McKay, George, tailor, Dundas Marshall, John, collector, Brock
McKAY, JOHN, American Express Marshall, William G., cooper, bds.
agent, Dundas Finkle
McKay, John, laborer, Dundas MARTIN, JAS., commission merchant
McKay, John, shoe shop, Dundas Dundas
McKay, John G., salesman, bds. Martin, Jonathan, bakery and
Adelaide confectionery, Dundas
McKay, Mrs., res. Buller Martin, Lycurgus F., medical student,
McKAY, W.G., flour and feed store, res. Dundas
Dundas Martin, Richard, constable, Winnett
McKay, W. H., Bailiff, Princes
MCKAY, RODERICK, tailor and MATHESON, GILBERT, proprietor
clothing store, Dundas Farmer's Hotel, Dundas
McKenzie, Alex., gentleman, bds. at Matheson, John, gentleman, Delatre
M. Fuller's opp. Market Matheson, John, student at
McKenzie, Angus, gentleman, Light D. G. Miller's, res. Mill
McKenzie, Hector, shoemaker, Dundas MATHESON, JOHN, marble and
McKenzie, Mrs. Hector, milliner, stone cutter, Dundas
Dundas Mathew, Daniel, bricklayer, Riddle
McKenzie, Hugh, salesan, Queen Mathew, Henry, bricklayer, Light
McKenzie, Kenneth, salesman, Light Maycock, Joseph, painter, Dundas
McKenzie, Mrs. Mary, boarding house, Mayer, Charles Edward, moulder, bds.
McKenzie, Malcolm, student, Graham Maynard, William, gentleman, Wilson
McKINNON, HUGH, & Co., dry Mead, Robert, salesman, bds.
goods, crockery and groceries, Wellington
hardware, Dundas Mechan, Edward, carriage maker, bds.
McLean, Archibald, blacksmith, Chapel
Delatre MERIGOLD, FRED., in Registry office,
McLean, Hugh, bakery, Dundas res. Vansittart
McLellan, John, cooper, bds. Finkle MIDGLEY, JOHN, shoe shop, Dundas
McLellan, Alex., laborer, Bishop
McLEOD, ALEX., shoemaker, Givina MIDGLEY, JOHN W., compositor
McLEOD, ALEX., watchmaker and and pressman, Times office
artist, Dundas Midgley, Thomas, shoemaker, Dundas
McLeod, Roderick, currier, res. Mill
MILLER, DAVID G., barrister, &c., NIAGARA DISTRICT FIRE INSURANCE
office, Miller's block, Dundas COMPANY, R. McDonald, agent,
Miller, Mrs., Reeve cor. Dundee and Victoria
Milne, Thomas, book keeper, Nicholson, John, carpenter, Princes
Wellington Nicholson, William, salesman, bds.
MONTGOMERY HOUSE, George, Wilson
Montgomery, prop. NIMMO, R., Montreal wholesale and
Moore, James, blacksmith, Buller retail boot and shoe and leather
MOREY, JOSEPH W., foreman store, opp. Market, Dundas
Times office NORTH AMERICAN HOTEL, Mrs.
Moorish, John, book keeper at D. Brimacomb, cor. Dundas and
Warwick's, bds. Vansittart NORTH BRITISH & MERCANTILE,
Moorish, Wm. H., salesman at FIRE & LIFE INSURANCE CO. OF
Morrison, Alex., porter, Winnett John Coghill, agent
Morrison, Matthew, carriage maker, OLIVER, THOS., Commercial Hall,
Vansittart dry goods, Dundas
Morrison, Samuel, laborer, res.
Metcalfe ORMONT MILLS, EATON & WOOD,
Morrow, James, laborer, Nelson (Andrew Eaton and
Mosier, Matthew, cooper, Simcoe Charles L. Wood) flouring, Main
Moulds, Edward, wagon maker, O'Rorke, James, groceries, Dundas
Chapel Paddon, Edmund, clerk, Wilson
Munro, Alex, millwright, Mill Paddon, George, farmer, Peel
Munro, George, carpenter, Oxford Page, A. W., salesman, bds. Dundas
MUNPO, WM., chairmaker, Dundas PARKER & HOOD, (Thomas H. Parker
MUNRO, WM., laborer, and John D. Hood,) clothing,
Delatre hats and caps, dry goods,
Murray, Alex, farmer, Finkle carpets, &c., Dundas, opposite
MURRAY & CO., (John Murray and Market
Donald Douglas,) saddler shop PARKER & FAUQUIER, grain
Dundas merchants, office Finkle
Murray, Mrs., res. Metcalfe PARKER, JOHN, lumber merchant,
Murray, Mrs., Light res. Simcoe
MURRAY, ROBERT, carriage and Parker, George, farmer, Centre
wagon factory, Parker, Robert, teamster, Simcoe
Vansittart Parks, James, cooper, bds. Dundas
Murray, Robert, contractor of roads, Parr, Mrs. millinery, Dundas
Oxford Parish, Walter, tin pedler, Bay
Murphey, Miss, res. Reeve Pascoe, Charles, carpenter, Mary
Myers, Peter C., cooper, res. Perry Pascoe, George, butcher, Mary
Napp, Joseph, teamster, Simcoe Paterson, A., assistant druggist, Riddle
NASMYTH, GEO., merchant tailor, Paterson, John, pumper, G.W.R.W.,
Dundas cor. Bay and Carrall
Nasmyth, Henry, at Geo. Nasmyth's Patterson, Mrs., Riddle
NASMYTH, WILLIAM, groceries PATRIARCHE, HENRY G., ticket
crockery, &c., agent, G.W.R.Y., res. Station
Dundas Patrick, Samuel, carpenter, cor.
NELLIS, J. H., attorney at law, Victoria and Grace
Dundas Paine, Absolom, carriage maker, Perry
Nellis, Elijah, gentleman, Dundas East PAYNE, WM., Sheriff's clerk, res.
NEWTON & SMALLACOMBE, (A. Newton Vansittart
and J. Smallacombe, Payne, William, laborer, Riddle
tailor shop, Dundas Peach, Edwin, shoe shop, Dundas
Peacock, Daniel, carpenter and builder REVELL & FLETCHER, attorneys
Dundas at law, office Dundas
PEIRSON, R. & W., grocery and REVELL, R. M., dentist, Dundas
provision store, res. Dundas
Peirson, Robert, J.P., res. Anna Rice, James, teamster, Heron
Pelham, Alex., shoe shop, Dundas RICE, WM., prop, British Hotel,
Penman, Daniel, gentleman, res. Mill Bay
Pennington, George, turner and fitter, Richards, Daniel, bricklayer, res.
res. Riddle Wilson
Pennington, John, tailor, Teeple Richards, Donald, soap and potash
Perkins, Deck, cooper, bds. Dundas manufacturer, Wilson
Perkins, Philo, cooper, bds. Dundas RICHARDSON, HUGH, County
Perry, Julius, cooper, Perry attorney, barrister &c., cor.
Perry, Levi H., M.D., res. Brock Dundas and Light
Peterson, John, cooper, Mill RICHMOND, D. C., hat cap and
PETTIT, WILLIAM, confectioner, Dundas fur store, Dundas, opp. Market
PHILIP, BYRON, law student, at Riley, Matthew, carpenter, res. Bay
Carroll and Beard's Riley, Mrs., grocery, res. Dundas
PHILIP, D. L., M.D., &c., Roberta, John, laborer, Givins
Dundas ROBERTSHAW, JOHN, boot and
PHILP, HART, at Parker and shoe maker, Dundas
Hoods Robinson, David, salesman, Simcoe
Place, Joseph, shoemaker Robinson, George, plasterer, Light
POCOCK, STEPHEN, house, Robinson, John, teamster, Buller
and ornamental painter, Bay Robinson, Joseph, groceries and
Porter, James, day operator, G.W.R.W. hardware, Dundas
res. Bay Robinson, Robert, plasterer, res.
Powell, John, teamster, res. Dundas Adelaide
Pratson, Wm., laborer, Light Rose, Alexander McKenzie, engineer,
Pradget, William, commission agent Bishop
merchant, Hunter Ross, James, cabinet maker, Simcoe
PRINCE OF WALES' HOTEL, Ross, Alex., plasterer, Simcoe
D. Hack, prop, Dundas, Market ROSS, ANDREW, Deputy Sheriff,
PROVINCIAL FIRE AND LIFE
AND MARINE INSURANCE Ross, Frederick, salesman, Dundas
CO. OF CANADA, R. McDonald, Ross, Hugh, carriage factory and
agent, cor. Dundas and blacksmith shop, Dundas
Victoria Ross, James, plasterer, Queen
Quintin, Samuel, teamster, res. Ross, John, shoemaker, Vansittart
Adelaide Ross, J. & R., groceries, Dundas west
Quintin, Thomas, laborer Dundas Ross, Mrs., Perry
Radcliff, Richard, student, res. Ross, William, gardener, Graham
Hamilton ROSS & BIRD, barristers at law,
Ralph, James, potash maker, res. office Dundas
Hincks ROYAL FIRE & LIFE INSURANCE
Rapson, James, blacksmith shop and CO. OF LONDON, John Barwick,
carriage maker agent, office Dundas,
Read, Samuel, salesman, bds. Dundas opp. Woodstock Iron Works
Reed, Israel, saddle, Dundas
Reed, Mrs., res. Wilson Rutherford, James, moulder, Dundas
REID, W. A., groceries, hardware and Salford, William, hoop maker, res.
crockery, Dundas Primrose
Revell, George, bricklayer, Dundas Scarff, Frederick, salesman, bds. Perry
REVELL, ROBERT, attorney at law Scarff, T. H., carriage trimmer
Dundas at William Scarff's
Scarff, J. S., carraige painter at Snelgrove, W. S., cabinet maker,
Wm. Scarff's Dundas
SCARFF, WILLIAM, carriage manufacturer, Soaers, Benjamin, copper, bds. Dundas
and general blacksmithing Spinks, Charles, constable, res. Oxford
cor. Perry and Simcoe SPINKS, RICHARD, printer, bds. Finkle
Schram, John, cooper, Dundas ST. GEORGE'S HOTEL, David Goldthorp,
SCOFIELD, F. B., sash and blind prop, Dundas
factory, and Planing Mill, STARK, ROBERT, chemist and druggist,
cor. Wilson & Cedar Dundas
Scofield, Francis, machinist, Winniett STEPHENS, SAMUEL, groceries,
Scofield, John, machiniet, Winniett, Dundas
Scott, S. A., M.D., Vansittart Stewart, David, weaver, Oxford
SCOTT & WHITE, Drugs and medicines, Stewart, Duncan, laborer, Dundas
Dundas Stewart, Donald, laborer, res. Anna
Scott, William, M.D., Dundas Stinson, Richard, salesman at Parker
SCOTT, WM. & S. A., physicians, & Hood's, bds. Simcoe
surgeous, &c., Dundas STOEVER, J, M., gentleman, res.
Sharp, John, laborer, Burtch Primrose
Sharp, Mrs., Dundas STRAUCHON, GEORGE, Principal
Sharp, Mrs., res. Huron Woodstock Grammar School,
SHAW, JOHN, graduate University res. Graham
College, res. Dundas Sudworth, Abraham, shoe shop,
SHAW, JOHN, watchman, G.W.R.W. Dundas, opp. Market
res. near Cedar Creek bridge SUDWORTH, JOSEPH, shoe shop,
Shaw, Thomas M., gunsmith, Dundas Dundas
Shepherd, John A., druggist, Sudworth, William, shoemaker, res.
bds. Wellington Finkle
Shepherd, Mrs. M., res. Wellington Sullivan, George Washington, grocery
SHERWOOD, JNO. W., bookbinder, Dundas
Graham SULLIVAN, JAMES, blacksmith &
Shinners, Martin, clerk at D. G. carriage maker, Norwich
Miller's, res. Huron
Sidney, George, cabinet maker, Dundas Sutherland, Alex., miller, Finkle
Silcox, John, potash manufacturer, res. Sutherland, Alex, blacksmith,
Hamilton res. Dundas
SILVESTER, HENRY, gene'l agent Sutherland, Benjamin, shoemaker,
and auctioneer, Canterbury
Dundas SUTHERLAND, HECTOR, carpenter
Simpson, James, turner, Riddle and joiner, res. Vansittart
Simpson, Thomas, laborer, Riddle Sutherland, Hector, with Express agent
Simpson, William, baggage master, res. bds. Dundas
Peel Sutherland, John, carpenter, Delatre
Smale, Jacob, engineer, Dundas Sutherland, Mrs. J., boarding house,
Smale, James, shoemaker, res. Dundas res. Bay
Smart, Thomas, teamster, Finkle Sutherland, Roderick, merchant tailor,
SMART, W. L., solicitor and attorney, Dundas
Simcoe Sutherland, Thomas, gardener, Light
Smith, Alex., miller, Dundas Suttle, Henry, painter, res. Simcoe
Smith, Andrew, general merchant, Swan, Robert, cooper, bds. Simcoe
Dundas Sykes, George, finisher, bds. Adelaide
Smith, Charles, well digger, Hincks TALLMAN, THOMAS, proprietor
Smith, James, tailor shop, res. Dundas Mansion House
Smith, John, butcher shop, Dundas Taylor, Charles, tinsmith, Vansittart
Snarey, Thomas, moulder, Wellington Teeple, Mrs., res. Teeple
Snelgrove, William, cabinet maker, Teeple, Nelson, blacksmith, Teeple
res. Norwich Thompson, A. J., foundryman, Huron
THE BRITISH AMERICA ASSURANCE Warren, John, teamster, res. Dundas
COMPANY, James Izard, WATKINS, JAMES H., cabinet
agent, office Dundas wares, Dundas
THE EDINBURGH LIFE ASSURANCE Weakley, William, bricklayer &
COMPANY, D. W. Ross, plasterer, Young
agent, officer Dundas Webster, David D., salesman, bds.
Thompson, George, plow maker, Huron Dundas
Thompson, Thomas, bricklayer, res. Webster, Hugh, dry goods, and livery
Victoria stable, Dundas
THOMPSON, WILLIAM, pumpmaker, Webster, John, laborer, Oxford
Bay Webster, William, farmer, Dundas
Thompson, John, manufacturer of WEEKS, GEORGE, assistant post
farm implements, Huron master
Thornton, Jonathan, framer, Dundas WEEKS, HENRY, grocery & crockery
Tisdale, John E., merchant, Centre store, Dundas
Toop, John, tinsmith, Chapel Weeks, John, cabinet maker, Dundas
Toop, Joseph, mason and bricklayer, Weeks, John, blacksmith, Railway
Chapel Weeks, William, blacksmith, Bay
Toop, Mark, apprentice blacksmith, Weir, Mrs., Bay
res. Bay West, Henry, bricklayer, Edward
Townsend, J., groceries, wines and West, William, laborer, Hincks
liquors, Dundas WESTERN FIRE INSURANCE
Turner, James, stone mason, Riddle COMPANY of Toronto,
TURNER, JAS., compositor Times John Coghill agent
office Wetherall, Francis, salesman, res.
Turner, Joseph, laborer, Finkle Adelaide
Turquand, C. R., teller Gore Bank Wetenhall, J. E., accountant, Gore
agency, Dundas Bank, Dundas
TURQUAND, JOHN, M. D., res. Whaley, William, laborer, Huron
Dundas Whier, George, stone cutter
Tye, Edward, cabinet maker, and builder, Queen
Wellington White, Arthur V., salesman, res. Light
VANSTON, CHARLES S., carpenter, WHITE, DAVID, clerk county council,
res. Adelaide. office, Court House, res. Light
Vanvalkenburg, John, cooper, Dundas
VAN VOORHIS, J. B., proprietor White, David, salesman, res. Light
Clarendon Hotel WHITE, G. & J., dry goods, &c.
Vatcher, Stephen, baker, Sydenham
VICHMANN, CHAS., tailor shop, White, James, carpenter and joiner
res. Dundas res. Victoria
VICTORIA HOUSE, John Graham, White, Richard, bricklayer, Princess
proprietor, Finkle Whitehead, Charles, constable, corner
Walker, Charles, moulder, bds. Buller and Graham
Adelaide WHITEHEAD, CHARLES H.,
Walker, John, bricklayer, res. Dundas deputy register of County, res.
Walker, Thomas, bricklayer, res. Vansittart
Dundas WHITEHEAD, G. W., J. P.,
Walkinshaw, Mrs. M., teacher of conveyancer, notary public, and
private school, Light commissioner for taking affidavits,
Ward, Robert, carpenter, Mill Office, corner Light and Dundas,
Warman, Barnard, farmer, Dundas res. Perry
Warner, John, lumber merchant, res. Wilkinson, George, framer, Bay
Delatre Wilkinson, John, miller, Bay
WARWICK, WM., bookseller, Wilkinson, Robert, cooper, bds.
stationer, bookbinder, and blank Vansittart
book manufacturer, WILSON, GEORGE, dealer in grain,
Willis, Alfred, cabinet maker, Dundas WILSON, WILLIAM, blacksmith, Bay
Wilson, James, watchmaker, res. Dundas WILSON, WM., boot and shoe
WILSON & CO., (J. H. Wilson and manufacturer, and tanner, Dundas
James Lakeman), cabinet shop Wood, Mrs., fancy store, Dundas
Dundas Woodland, Thomas, laborer, Finkle
Wilson, John, accountant, Dundas WOODSTOCK HOTEL, W. Bishop,
WILSON, JOHN T., merchant tailor, prop'r, Dundas
Dundas Woodstock Mills, gristing and flouring,
Wilson, Owen, Vansittart Thomas Clarke, proprietor, Mill
Wilson, Robert, cooper, bds. Dundas Wright, Hugh, blacksmith, Wilson
Wilson, T. J., carriage maker, Wright, Mrs., Dundas
res. Vansittart Yates, Joseph, laborer, res. Hincks
WILSON, WILLIAM, carriage maker, Yokom, Jesse, cooper, Mill
Vansittart Young, George, shoe shop, Dundas
. Young, Henry, gentleman, Simcoe
Bill Martin, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
My Site Map