West Virginia Pioneer Families

[ Home Page | My Ancestor Stories | Genealogy Library| Dotson Links | Greathouse Links | Tips on Research | My Military Ancestors ]


Hardesty’s 1883 History of DODDRIDGE COUNTY


The act providing for the formation of the county from parts of Harrison, Tyler, Ritchie and Lewis, was passed by the general assembly of Virginia on the 4th day of February, 1845. Article 1st of that act defined the boundaries of the new county to be as follows: Beginning on the South fork of Hughs river at the mouth of Sugar Camp run at James Gray’s, thence a straight line to the gap at the head of the Right Hand fork of Bone creek thence a straight line to the mouth of Sand fork and Fink’s creek; thence following the dividing ridge between the waters of Middle Island creek and Finks creek and the West Fork of Monongahela river on said ridge to the Northwestern turnpike road; thence north with the said ride to the corner of the Harrison and Tyler County line; thence on the ridge between McElroy creek and Fishing creek; thence with the said ridge to the head of Geroges run [a branch of McElroy]; thence a straight line to the mouth of Flints run; thence a straight line to the mouth of Arnolds creek; thence a straight line to the Nonwestern turnpike road at toll-gate number eleven; thence a straight line to the place of beginning, shall form one distinct and new county and be called and known by the name of Doddridge county.

And be it further enacted, that the county surveyors of the counties of Harrison, Tyler, Ritchie and Lewis, and the new county of Doddridge, shall be, and they are hereby appointed commissioners to run and mark the lines between the said counties as designated by this act [any three or more of whom may act for that purpose], which, when run and marked, shall be taken and held as the dividing lines between the said new county of Doddridge and the several counties from which it was taken.

And further, the permanent place for holding the courts in the county of Doddridge now required by law to be holden for the several counties of this commonwealth, shall be at village of West Union, situated on the Northwestern turnpike road, late within the county of Harrison, and the justices of the peace commissioned and qualified for the said county of Doddridge shall meet at the house, now the residence of Nathan Davis, at West Union, on the Thursday after the second Monday in April next, and the majority of them being present shall proceed to the appointment of a clerk of the county of said county, a commissioner of the revenue for said county of Doddridge, and also at the same time the necessary number of school commissioners; and thereafter at the time prescribed by law for such as are annual appointments shall nominate to the governor suitable persons to be commissioned as sheriff and coroner of said county, and fix upon a place in said county for holding the courts thereof, until the necessary buildings shall be constructed at the said village of West Union. 2


Pursuant to the foregoing the first county court ever held for Doddridge county convened at the house of Nathan Davis, where the town of West Union now stands, on the 17th day of April 1845. The following justices, each holding a commission as such signed by his excellency the governor of Virginia, were present, viz.: Nathan Davis, Mathew Neeley, William F. Randolph, S.P.F. Randolph, Samuel Archibald, Charles Bonnell, William Johnston, Apollo Stephens, Joseph Gray and Thomas Gray. John G. Stringer was appointed teller and the court went into an election of a clerk. James U. Newlon, Phineas Chapin, Jesse Jarvis, Lemuel Hall and Adolpheus Armstrong were placed in nomination, and a viva voce vote resulted as follows: for James U. Newlon, 8 votes; for Phineas Chapin, 1; for Jesse Jarvis, 1. Newlon having received a majority of all the votes was declared elected, and thus became the first clerk of Doddridge county.

Then Nathan Davis was appointed crier, and the court proceeded to elect a commissioner of the revenue; Joseph Gray and William Shannon were nominated, the vote taken and Joseph declared elected; he came into court, entered into a bond in the penalty of $1,000.00, and took the several oaths prescribed by law. Then the names of U.M. Turner, James Morris, and Edgar M. Davisson were placed in nomination for the office of prosecuting attorney for the commonwealth; the vote resulted in the choice of Mr. Turner, who took the oath and at once began to look after the interest of the States.

It was then "Ordered that this court meet at the brick house, the property of Nathan Davis, in the town of West Union, in the said county of Doddridge, on to-morrow at 9AM and that the said court be holden there until otherwise ordered."

April 18th - The court convened as per adjournment, and James U. Newlon, who the day previously had been elected clerk, came into court and, together with Samuel P.F. Randolph as his security, acknowledged a bond in the penalty of $1,000.00, after which he took the oath of clerk of court.

Messrs. A.J. Smith, Gustavus Cressup, R.W. Lauck and James Morris appeared and took the several oaths prescribed by law, and were qualified as attorneys in the county court of Doddridge county.

It was then ordered that the court proceed to recommend three justices for the sheriff of the county: Nathan Davis was elected first in the recommendation, Mathew Neeley second and Samuel P.F. Randolph third - all unanimously. Mathew Neely claimed the right to be named first in the nomination to the executive on the ground that Nathan Davis had held the office of sheriff of Harrison county for the two years last passed, and that the said Neely was the oldest magistrate in the county of Doddridge, except the said Davis, but the court overruled his motion. 

Next William M. Sommerville was recommended to his excellency as a suitable person to discharge the duties of the office of coroner of the county. The court then proceeded to elect a surveyor of land. Samuel Archbold and Ethelbert Bond were placed in nomination, the former received five votes and the latter but two, and Archbold was declared elected. Then Appolo Stephens, William M. Somerville and Elijah Summers were elected school commissioners for the county; Samuel Beverlin and John Talkington were recommended to his excellency as suitable persons for the office of justice of the peace; commissions of election wee then appointed for the various voting precincts of the county, and it was ordered that "this court do adjourn until the next court in course." Thus ended the first county court ever held in Doddridge county.


The first circuit superior court ever held in the county convened at the house of Nathan Davis [that place having been fixed by the county court], on the 30th day of April 1845. Hon. Joseph L. Fry judge of the tenth judicial district of the twentieth circuit of the Commonwealth of Virginia, presiding. Jesse Jarvis was appointed clerk of the court for the next ensuing seven years. He at once came into court, and with Ephraim Bee, Appollo Stephens and Thomas Bond, as his sureties, entered into and acknowledged a bond in the sum of $10,000 conditioned according to law. James M. Stephenson was appointed prosecutor for the Commonwealth in this court; he took the oath to support the Constitution of the United States, the oath against dueling and the oath of office. Edwin L. Hewitt, William I. Boremna, Edgar C. Davidson, Uriah M. Turner, James Morris and James M. Stephenson all holding a license to practice in the courts of the Commonwealth, were on their motion granted permission to practice in this court. Then it was ordered that the clerk of the court be permitted to "keep" his office in any suitable house to be selected by him, either in town of West Union or Lewisport, until a suitable office can be prepared. The court then proceeded to make the public allowances and ordered that Nathan Davis be allowed the sum of $10 for his services as crier of this court; also that Jesse Jarvis be allowed the sum of $15 for his services as clerk. Then the court adjourned until the first day of the next term.


It was at the June term of 1845 that the first grand jury was impaneled. It was composed of the following named gentlemen: Franklin Maxwell, Joshua Peacy, Josias Bee, Jesse Davis, John Sutton, Thomas S. Lawson, Jonathan Bee, Snowden Kinney, James Gray, William J. Davis, Jermiah Stark, Winter Hutson, Isreal Allen, William Tate, Alexander Williamson, Zachariah Dotson, James Dotson, Thomas S. Jones, Nathan Joseph, and John Smith. After receiving their charge they retired to consider their presentments, and after a two days session they returned into court and presented one indictment for misdemeanor; three for assault and battery; two for stealing hogs; after which they were discharged. 4


In compliance with the recommendation previously made to the governor, Mathew Neely was appointed high sheriff of the county, and at the June term presented his commission, and together with Thomas Bond, Thomas S. Neely, Apollo Stephens, Luke Jaco, Franklin Maxwell and Ephraim Bee as his securities, entered into a bond in the penalty of $30,000 conditioned according to law.

The first suit was that of James R. Jones vs. John Dotson, in an action for the recovery of money on account. Judgment rendered in favor of plaintiff. This first deed admitted to record in the county was an indenture by which John Dotson transferred the title to 180 acres of land situated on Lick run, a branch of Arnold Creek to Joseph Trolinger, the consideration being $200. The deed is dated July 17, 1844; date of record is August 14, 1845.

In the records for the same term is found the first statement of the financial condition of the county, which is as follows:


To Nathan Davis, crier, for public services two months $ 12.00

To James W. Newlon, clerk, for public services 12.00

To James. W. Newlon, for stationery 2.00

To James W. Newlon, for room rent 3.00

To Thomas A. Jones, for plank to repair court house 2.36

To Levi B. Mathews, for five wolf scalps at $3.00 each 15.00

To amount appropriated to repair court house 25.00

To amount appropriated to purchase record books 40.00

To James W. Newlon, for selling out jail contract 1.50

To U.M. Turner, for services as prosecutor 12.50

To first payment on jail contract 463.33

Total indebtedness $588.69


Doddridge County, Cr., By 277 tithables at $2.05 each $588.695


Was Philip Doddridge, a brief sketch of whom is her given. He was the second son of John Doddridge who was a native of Maryland, having been born in that State in the year 1745. On the 22nd day of December, 1765, he was united in marriage with Mary, the daughter of Richard Wells, Esq., a representative of a family dating their settlement in America back to the days of the Calverts. Soon after his marriage Mr. Doddridge removed to Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and there Philip was born. There is said to be an old church still standing in that county known as the "Doddridge Chapel." It was built by the father for the use of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was the first church erected for that denomination west of the Alleghany mountains. At the time this locality was supposed to be within the confines of Virginia, but when Mason and Dixon’s Line was run in 1768 it was found to be in Pennsylvania.

It was here that young Philip grew to manhood. There were on that day no colleges nor academies west of the mountains and but very few common schools. His facilities for securing an education were therefore quite meager, but as time and opportunity admitted he was instructed in the primary branches by his father until he was seventeen years of age, when he was placed in school at Charlestown [now Wellsburg in Brooke county, West Virginia], under the tuition of a gentleman of the name of Johnson. Here he remained a considerable time, during which he devoted himself to the study of the Latin language.

After leaving school he made a trip on a flatboat to New Orleans in the employ of a company of produce merchants, he shipping in the capacity of a common laborer. In transit the boat stopped several days at Natchez, where the Spanish governor of Louisiana then resided, and the youthful boatman availed himself of the opportunity of the delay to stroll about the town. On one of these rambles he met the governor, and finding that neither could understand the vernacular of the other Doddridge addressed his excellency in Latin and was at once answered in the same tongue. It surprised the governor that one so young and so coarsely clad could converse in a dead language; the interview was prolonged and his surprise being increased at the intelligence and general information possessed by the young stranger, he was invited to dine with the governor.

Upon his return from the South he procured some elementary law books and prepared himself for the bar to which he was soon after admitted, and in 1796 took up his residence in Wellsburg, Brooke county, Virginia [now West Virginia]. In 1799 he married Miss Juliana Musser of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, who survived him twenty-seven years and died at Liverpool, Illinois, in 1859. He became an able and profound jurist and his reputation as a lawyer soon spread and made him famous in nearly every county of Southwestern Virginia. A few years more and his practice extended far into the adjoining States of Ohio and Pennsylvania. He tried cases in the court of appeals of Virginia at Richmond, and frequently appeared in the argument of causes in the supreme court of the United States. Justice Story noticed his presence there in 1822, at which time he speaks of him as "a gentleman eminent for his talents at the bar." 6

The late Hon. Joseph Johnson, an ex-governor of Virginia, in a letter addressed to the Hon. William T. Willey, once said: "I became acquainted with Philip Doddridge about the year 1807 or 1808, who was then a young lawyer attending court in the town of Clarksburg, when he occupied a prominent position at the bar and ranked among the most eminent counselors of Western Virginia. Among the first political discussions I ever listened to was one between him and General J.G. Jackson, which occurred in Clarksburg during the canvass which preceded the election of Madison to the presidency of the United States. The former belonged to what was called the old Federal party, and the latter to the Republican. They were champions well chosen and foemen worthy of each others steel, and it was appropriately styled a meeting of the Greeks."

In 1815-16 Mr. Doddridge was a member of the general assembly of Virginia, representing the county of Brooke at which time he served upon several of the most important committees of the house. He was a member of the same body in 1822-23, and again in 1828-29. In the latter year he was a member of the celebrated Constitutional Convention of Virginia, which prepared the constitution of 1830. This was the most remarkable body that ever assembled within the limits of Virginia; among its members sat two ex-presidents, James Monroe and James Madison, and John Marshall, chief justice of the United States; there, too, was John Randolph of Roanoke, and John Tyler, afterwards president of the United States.

In 1829 he was elected a member of congress, from what was then known as the "Wheeling District" of Virginia, and re-elected in 1831, but before the expiration of his second term was called to pay the last great debt which man pay. On the 19th day of November 1832, Philip Doddridge, the highly respected and deeply lamented, passed from among the living, and all that was mortal of him now reposed in the Congressional Cemetery at Washington City. Such was the man whose honored name the little county of Doddridge now bears.


Doddridge county, from its geographical view, may be classed as one of the north central counties of the State. It is bounded on the north by Wetzel county; east by Harrison; southeast by Lewis; south by Gilmer; southwest by Ritchie and northwest by Tyler. The surface throughout is broken and hilly, but not rough; the elevations seldom attain a height of more than 250 feet above the surrounding valleys; they are the low foot hills which surround the base of the western spur of the Alleghany range. The soil, for the most part, consists of an intermixture of red, white and yellow clay, with an occasional deposit of limestone, and is well adapted to the production of the cereals. The county lies within the celebrated "bluegrass belt," which extends from northern Tennessee through Kentucky, West Virginia and into southern Pennsylvania, and is therefor especially adapted for grazing purposes. 7

The entire area, which consists of 300 square miles, is well watered and drained by the following streams: Middle Island creek [the principal one in the county] rises in the extreme southeastern part, near the Lewis county line, and flows in a northwest direction, dividing the county into two nearly equal portions. It is so called from an island in the Ohio river, near its mouth. Its northern tributaries within the county are: Nutters creek, Piggin run, Rock run, Jockey Camp creek, Lick Run, buckeye creek, Long run, Buffalo Calf creek, Greenbrier run and Palmers run. Those flowing from the south one Arnolds creek, Bluestone creek, Toms fork, Brushy for,, Roberts fork, Indian creek and Beech run. The extreme northern part is drained by McElroy creek, which flows west and unites with Middle Island creek near the center of Tyler county. Its tributaries are: Island fork, Beggins run, Big Battle creek, Robinsons fork, Lefthand fork, Middle fork and Little Flint creek.

The county is divided into six magisterial districts, with the following population, according to the census of 1880: Central, 1185; Grant, 1669; McClellan, 1717; New Milton, 2934; Southwest, 1393; West Union, 1654 - total, 10,552. Of this number 6590 were born in West Virginia; 3164 in Virginia; 200 in Ohio; 111 in Maryland; 195 in Pennsylvania; 4 in Kentucky; 3 in British America; 4 in Ireland; and 89 in the German empire.

The bonded debt of the county in 1880 was $1000, the floating debt $13,532 - total $14,532. Since then a court house has been erected, and it is probable that the bonded debt has been increased.


Who figured so conspicuously in the early history of the county, was the son of Captain John Neely, a distinguished soldier of the Revolution. He was born in Clarksburg, Virginia [now West Virginia], in the year 1793, and at the age of twenty, served in the American army against Great Britain in the war of 1812. In 1832 he removed to the west and found a home within the limits of what is now Doddridge county, the site of his location being then a part of Harrison county. He served two years as high sheriff of that county, and upon the organization of Doddridge became, by appointment of his excellency, her first high sheriff, in which capacity he served four years. He served for many years as a justice of the peace in one or the other of their counties, lived to a ripe old age, and died respected by all who knew him. His son, Floyd Neely, was elected sheriff of the county in 1860, again in 1863 [the first under the constitution of the new State], once more in 1870, and again in 1872, when the present constitution was adopted, and in 1879 he was chosen a member of the house of delegates for two years. 8


The land upon which the town of West Union now stands, was patented about the year 1787, by James Caldwell; the survey contains 20,000 acres, the whole of which he sold to Nathan Davis and his brothers William and Joseph, in the year 1807, for the sum of 23 cents per acre. They removed to the lands in 1808, and soon after sold the greater portion of the land to Lewis Maxwell, at the same price. Soon after them came other settlers, among whom John Smith, Jacob Ripley, Thomas Smith, Joseph Jeffrey, Snowden S. Kinney, Hiram Sayre, John Webster, Thomas S. Neely and Matthew Neely, who came in 1832. John Chaney was the first merchant; he began business in 1820. Soon after a postoffice was established, and the next map of Virginia showed, away out among the western hills of the "Old Dominion," the little village of Lewisport, named in honor of Lewis Maxwell. Arthur Ingram was the second merchant. Ephraim Bee, Sr., was the first blacksmith; our informant says that he began business as early as 1828. The first hotel was opened in the summer of 1839 by Lawson B. Maulsby, who, together with Silas J. Ogden, the same year, established the first tannery on the banks of Middle Island creek or in Doddridge county.

In 1845, when the county was formed and the county seat located at this place, the town was regularly laid out by Ethelbert Bond and the name changed to West Union. The addition thus made was from the lands of Nathan Davis, which lay on the south side of Middle Island creek. Here Mr. Davis resided in a brick house which stood on the spot where the new court house now stands. Arthur Ingram crossed over, purchased a lot and erected the second building on the south side, and together with Jacob J. Ingle, became the first merchant. Dr. James W. Newton erected the second dwelling, in 1845, and died just ass it was completed. The second merchants were Floyd Neely and F.M.F. Smith, doing business under the firm name of Neely & Smith. The latter built the first hotel, but Jacob J. Ingle became the first proprietor. The postoffice was removed to the South Side in 1845, and Taliaferro K. Knight, the present circuit clerk, became the first postmaster. The first school was taught in 1846, by Henry Miller, from Clarksburg, and his successor in 1847 was a Mr. Hays.


It was during the long, dreary winter of 1846 that the Rev. Samuel Archibald, a Methodist minister, and Jacob Yeater, of the Christian Church, met at this place and decided to hold a series of union meetings. Whatever may have been their difference upon doctrinal points, they were a unit upon the essential truth, that salvation can only be secured through faith and repentance. A room was secured and the services began, evening after evening did these men alternately proclaim the glad tidings, and it was at the close of one of these meetings that a young man of the name of Josiah H. Bee came forward and asked to be baptized. It was late at night, but the congregation repaired through the snow to the creek, where the ice - a foot in thickness - was cut away, and while the audience joined in singing an anthem, which sounded away among the snow-clad hills and valley, the baptismal rite was celebrated - the first that ever occurred in the town of West Union. 9


One of the most heart-sickening recitals in the history of Western Virginia, is that of the burning of the Dawson family, on the night of the 25th of September, 1856. The facts as gleaned by the writer are as follows: At the time, Jackson Dawson, his wife, five children of their own and a little girl of the name of Luvena Mires, resided in a frame house of a story and a half in height, which was located in the western part of the town, on the spot on which the residence of John Dye now stands. It was dark, chilly night at the hour of 1 AM when the alarm was given. The fire had started from the kitchen in the rear of the house, and the building, being constructed of the most inflammable material, the flames spread with frightful rapidity. Every member of the family was soundly sleeping, and when the alarm was given the father and mother rushed in a semi conscious condition from the building, but no sooner out than the father, crazed to frenzy at the perilous condition of his children, rushed into the burning building and lost his life in an attempt to rescue the helpless ones. Oh, the terrible scene; who, when at this late day, can bear to think of it? Six little helpless girls enwrapped in hissing flames, from which come their cries for help, but soon the last murmur is hushed in death and the awful scene is past. When daylight came Joseph Cheuvront, the undertaker, repaired to the fatal spot, and from the ruins collected the charred remains of half a dozen human beings, placed all in a box, which was then deposited in the cemetery, where they now repose. If the traveler who visits the town of West Union will stroll into the cemetery there, he will discover an ivy-covered mound, at the head of which stands a broad marble slab, from which he may read the following inscription:

Sarah A., aged 7 years and 7 months.

Mary M.F., aged 6 years, 1 month, 15 days.

Charlotte S. aged 4 years, 6 months, and five days.

Luvena B., aged 2 years, 7 months, and 28 days.

Elizabeth R., aged 2 months and 17 days.

Children of Jackson & Charlotte Jackson and

Luvena Mires, aged 11 years, 7 months and 23 days.

Perished by fire September 25th, 1856. 10


On the night of March 27th, 1858, the fire fiend once more visited West Union, and this time laid the town in ashes. At the time many of the citizens were absent at Clarksburg, attending the United States court, then in session in that city. The fire originated in an upper room of the residence of L.R. Charter. A brisk gale was blowing and the flames spread rapidly to other buildings, the first being the large hotel and store room belonging to James A. Foley. Then followed the residence of Ethelbert bond and the storehouse of Arthur Ingram. Many other buildings shared the same fate, and the next morning, what the evening before had been the town of West Union, was but a mass of smoldering ruins. But just at the time the Parkersburg and Grafton branch of the Baltimore & Ohio Railway was completed, and the town, phoenix-like, arose from its own ashes, and in a short time no traces of the holocaust remained behind.


The most destructive storm that ever visited this section of the State occurred on the 3rd day of June 1833. It traveled from the northwest to the southeast and extended over a belt of several miles in width. Crossing the Ohio river at a point near where Sistersville, in Tyler county, now stands, it swept through that county, Doddridge, Lewis, Upshur and Randolph, in the latter of which it appears to have been forced so high in its passage over the mountain that no trace of it could be seen in Virginia east of the mountains. Throughout its entire course the forest was uprooted and the buildings scattered far and wide. The Baptist Church, a heavy hewed-log building at West Union, and the first ever erected within the present limits of the county, was razed to the ground. Near it stood the residence of Joseph Davis, one of the first settlers; it was blown down and he was killed. The person who converses with the aged persons of this vicinity will hear many a reference to the storm of 1833.


It was the 17th day of April, 1861, that Virginia passed the ordinance of secession, and thus cast her fortunes with the Southern Confederacy. To the people west of the Alleghanies the news was like a clap of thunder from a noonday sky, and for a short time they seemed completely paralyzed; but their inaction was of short duration, and the last days of April and the early ones of May witnessed a general uprising of the people of nearly every county in West Virginia. Mass meetings were held in many localities and it was resolved that secession was no remedy for the evils which envisioned the country; that they pledged to oppose all acts which tended to sever them from the Federal government; that they appealed to their fellow-citizens to hold up the national banner; and that strong as were the ties that bound them to Virginia, yet nevertheless, should the popular vote of the people be in favor of secession, thus forcing them into a connection with seceded States, then, as citizens of Western Virginia, they would deem it a duty to themselves and coming generations to adopt such means as should result in the division of the State. 11

Among the counties which thus declared their fidelity to the Federal Union, Doddridge was foremost, and when the time for the meeting of the first Wheeling Convention came her delegates were among the first to reach the city, and when the call to arms resounded amid the hills and valleys of northwestern Virginia, her sons responded to the summons, and at once enrolled their names as soldiers for the Union. That the reader may hereafter know who the representatives of the county were, that for years bore arms in defense of the Union, we her insert the names of those composing the companies enlisted within the county:

Company H, 4th Regiment West Virginia Cavalry.

Michael Donahue, captain; Joseph A. Summers, first lieutenant; Marshall Allen, second lieutenant; Jacob A. Mason, Quartermaster sergeant; John W. Stonestreet, commissary sergeant; Daniel E. Taylor, first sergeant; Alexander Prunty, Noah R. James, Josiah Reed, James Goff, Ephrain W. Bee, John E. Dotson, John S. Clayton, William S. Ross, Israel Cumberledge, Richard Noble, George W. Butcher, B.F. Cunningham, John O. James, Preston S. McClain, Richard A. Wells, Loman Welch, John H.W. Britton, Dorsey Booher, Henry C. Bond, Thomas J. Chapman, Alexander Collins, Harvey Clutter, Perry Doak, Francis J. Dotson, Lewis Davis, Ezra Davis, John S. Dotson, Franklin Davis, Robert Doak, William H. Elliott, Richard Ford, Adam A. Fleming, Seber H. Fox, Aaron Garrison, Amody Griffin, Silas Greathouse, Isaac Husk, Hezekiah Hiley, John C. Harper, Elias Hennis, James H. Hardesty, Sylvester Jett, Nathan Joseph, George W. Jones, John A. Knight, Francis M. Lewin, William H. Lowther, Jesse C. Lowther, Daniel Little, Levi Moore, Thomas W. McGill, Benton Myers, Hezekiah McEntire, Franklin M. Noble, C.N. Nicholson, Henry C. Powell, F.A. Pinnell, James Pinnell, Luben Rose, David Roberts, Marcus Reed, William G. Spencer, Moses W. Spencer, Amos T. Spencer, William Seeder, Isaac N. Siggans, John M. Summers, John L. Spencer, Isaac Snyder, Andrew B. Swiger, John Towner, John Trough, F.M. Underwood, S.A. Underwood, John Vanort, John A. Wright, Albert Wright, Selby Wade, Andrew M. Wade, Newton G. Waldo, Nicholas J. Wilcox, Solomon Weekly, James G. Wright, James R. Westfall, William H. McGill, and James Goff. - Aggregate 93 men.


Josiah H. Bee, captain; S.B. Nicholson, first lieutenant; Joseph H. Dougherty, second lieutenant; Nathan Doak, first sergeant; William S. Ross, John A. Stalnaker, Lewis Davis, Eli B. Fleming, Isaac Cumberledge, Duckett W. Gatrell Richard A. Wells, Marlville L. Haught, William A. Kinney, Walter E. Stathers, Charles Wade, Uriah W. Parrill, Aaron Ash, David C. Ash, Morris America, William A.S. Adams, Andrew M. Wade, Ephraim W. Bee, Camden Bond, Gustavus Britton, Jarrett Britton, Pinkard Brannon, John H. Benedum, George Cumberledge, Ellis Cumberledge, Daniel Childers, F.M. Duckworth, Marion Dotson, Josiah Davisson, Adam A. Fleming, Serber H. Gatrell, Thomas N. Gribble, Aaron Garrison, Henry Haymond, Andrew Hart, Isaac N. Hawkins, Franklin Henry, David Heckert, George V. Heckert, Henry C. Heckert, James H. Hardesty, John L. Wells, Alexander A. Huff, Thomas Hill, Jacob Helmick, William Helmick, John Hooper, Absalom Hildman, Isaac Husk, Sylvester Jett, James E. Jett, George w. James, William Kinney, James Kirk, Noah Keesy, Abraham Lewis, Jesse D. Law, John W. Miller, 12

P.M. Moneypenny, Preston McClain, Francis M. Lewin, John Nutter, William V. Nicklin, James Pinnell, John m. Pratt, Thomas J. Pratt, John E. Pratt, Edmund W. Porter, Shannon Wilson, Jmaes D. Rymer, John E. Ratliff, Amos Spencer, Moses W. Spencer, George Spurgeon, Isaac N. Sigans, Perry J. Snider, Ewing Sandy, John Sandy, Thomas S. States, John Stull, Henry Scott, Robert Stathers, Adam N. Thomas, Cyrus Trough, John c. Trough, Elias Underwood, Oliver Underwood, John Vernon, Abner Whitehair, Albert Wright, Chester Williams, Henry M. Wyant, and Nicholas J. Wilcox. - Aggregate 101 men.


John Carroll, captain, John Donahue, first lieutenant; Virgil S. Brown, second lieutenant; David W. Hansford, sergeant; John Fleming, Samuel V. Brown, Samuel M. West, J.W. Braithwaite, Thomas E. Nutter, James K. Leggett, Israel B. Allen, Stephen G. Allen, Jacob Ash, Richard Bee, Samuel Batton, Marcelus S. Boise, Lindon Batton, Obediah Bee, John M. Brown, George W. Barnett, Orlando G. Cowman, Samuel Cumberledge, Owen Davis, John Die, John C. Dotson, Ebenezer S. Exline, James F. Foreman, Absalom Gatrell, John H. Gigley, John M. Gray, Boreman Gregg, William H. Hyatt, Henry Hess, John Husk, Samuel Husk, N.N. Kinney, John E. Kinney, George W. Kinney, Adam Knisely, Russell J. Kinney, Benjamin Kinney, George W. Lyon, Mallory Moore, John W. Maulsby, David C. McNemar, B.A. McNemar,Josiah Nutter, Thornton M. Norman, William W. Norris, Edmund G. Nicholson, Thomas Peck, Joshua G. Russell, Charles B. Robinson, Jmaes W. Stewart, John A. Stenespring, Sylvester Smith, John B. Sandy, George W. Southworth, Franklin Smith, Joseph Thompson, Elam Welch, Zadok C. White, Charles W. Weekly, George W. Weekly, E.D.Whitehair, Benjamin F.J White, Isaac N. Estabrook, William E. Davis, Andrew J. Divers, John M. Gribble, John Smith, Joseph T. Moffiatt, Perry Smith, Henry T. Powell, Harrison H. Weekly, Jonathan Baker, Francis Boice, John Cain, Jasper W. Davisson, Benjamin F. Dawson, David Davis, Lewis Fleming, Christian Foyster, James W. Gray, Isreal G. Kinney, Granville Lipscomb, John W. McNear, John J. Manual, Caleb Nusum, William T. Pierce, Jabez Spurgeon, John A. Smith, Joseph F. Underwood, Jacob Williams, Saul Weekly, Richard Welch, Abraham Williams, Charles W. Zahn, John S.S. Herr, James M. Gray, American Doak, Marshall Allen, Joel Bee, Alexander S. Lowther, Washington P. Moore, Benjamin D. Moore, John W. Pratt, Francis Spray, Lewis Baker, George Carder, William E. Critchfield, William E. Haught, Lewis M. Overfield, Martin V. Overfield, Elisha Y. Weekly, and Aaron Walters, David W. Gray, James Gallion, Joseph Hart, and Charles W. Kelch. - Aggregate 121 men.


Jacob Smith, captain; William W. Lewis, first lieutenant; Elijah L. Wade, second lieutenant; Austin N. Davis, first sergeant; Martin V. Trough, Thomas Bond, Samuel Russell, William A. Nicholson, Benjamin L. Brown, Lemuel C. Snyder, James M.R. Hoovey, John L. Ash, Samuel C. Parks, Joseph L. Britton, Thomas Freeman, Adam Ash, William Barker, Simon Cumberledge, George Clyce, Isaac Criss, Granville H. Davis, William R. Denison, Clinton Doak, Benjamin F. Davis, Enoch F. Ellefritts, George W. Fox, James S. Fox, Thomas J. Gain, Thomas E. Holiday, Samuel Hardesty, George W. Husk, John F. Jordan, Alexander Knight, 13

Snowden S. Kinney, H.S. Knight, Michael Knight, John McClary, William J. Maulsby, Cornelius Maxon, Thomas W. Magill, David H. Nicholson, Benjamin Ambrose Nicholson, Willis E. Nutter, George W. Null, Levi Roberts, Samuel Richards, James Richards, Jesse M. Richards, Lemuel Richards, James H. Russell, Flavius J. Ruley, Arnold C. Snider, Jesse Seeders, John T. Seeders, Lafayette Swiger, Harvey Smith, Hiram Smith, Jacob Sheets, Israel W. Sutton, Zadok Stout, Joseph Stout, Thomas J. Smith, George W. Thomas, John Weekly, Eleazor Williams, Isaac Williams, Israel Williams, Daniel W. Wilcox, Samuel J. Walker, James Welch, Benjamin Welch, Solomon Weekly, Eli Davis, Jonah S. Dennison, William Fox, David W. Kinney, Leonard Roberts, William W. Lewis, William P. Greene, Amazah Ashburn, James O. Duckworth, John R. Bogard, John J. Allen, Riley G. Davis, Eastbourn A. Davis, Eli F. Davis, Uriah B. Duckworth, James H. Dennison, John Hutson, George M. Morris, Madison Nicholson, James S. Smith, Abraham Thomas, Joseph N. Thomas, Grove Tucker, George W. Weekly, Richard Weekly, Solomon Williams, and David Findley. - Aggregate 105 men.

No engagements occurred within the limits of the county, and during all the years of the war but one Confederate force entered it. This was the force of General Jones in May, 1863, when on his famous raid into the western counties; he came within three miles of the town of West Union, then turned away to the left into the Little Kanawha counties, when at Burning Spring he fired one hundred thousand barrels of oil, and thus started one of the largest fires ever lighted in West Virginia. The light was plainly visible at Parkersburg - distant 42 miles.


Was one of the most brutal crimes ever committed within the confines of the Virginias, and has few parallels in criminal history. The horrid deed was committed about ten o’clock on Wednesday evening, April 4, 1883. Bernard Doyle and his two little daughters, Mary and Anna, aged respectively ten and eight years, were the victims. Doyle was engaged in the grocery business, and was supposed to have a considerable sum of money in his possession.

On the above named evening Hattie Weekly and her mothers, who lived near by, heard the noise of a scuffle in Doyle’s house. They approached near, but were afraid to enter, so hastened on to the house of Amos Bee, and related what they had heard. Alonzo Bee, a son of the farmer, hastened to the Doyle residence, where upon entering, the horrible sight of three human beings weltering in their own gore met his gaze. He at once gave the alarm, and a large crowd collected at the scene. The victims of the cruel butchery were still breathing. Doyle was lying on the floor of the kitchen, Mary was lying on the floor of the same room while Anna was lying upon the bed. Drs. McCalley, Charter and Brennan were called, and did all in their power to save the victims. Anna died about one o’clock Thursday morning, and the father at three, but Mary became conscious at nine and finally recovered. 14

Sheriff McMillan, Constable Knight and Justice Cheuvront were soon upon the scene, and at once caused the arrest of one William Kinney. He was placed in jail to await an examination. The case was given to Detective Haggerty of Clarksburg, who soon after caused the arrest of another William Kinney and both are now in the Clarksburg Jail awaiting the action of the court.


The first newspaper published in Doddridge county was the West Union GAZETTE, the first number of which appeared in the year 1868. A.S. Rohrbaugh and C.J. Groves were the publishers. During the presidential campaign of that year it had a large circulation, but after the election, when partisan assistance ceased, it passed into the hands of Rev. Mr. Miller, who, because of a lack of patronage, was forced to suspend it in March 1869.

The next venture in the field of journalism was that of the WEST UNION HERALD, which came out in March 1871; it was published by the West Union Publishing Company, composed of the following named gentlemen: Captain M. Donahue, B.H. Maulsby, Colonel Floyd Neely, A. Jennings, Dr. L.R. Charter, Judge C.J. Stewart and C.C. Davis. It was edited by F.D. Hickman and W. Scott as a campaign paper, and like its predecessor it proved a financial failure and soon suspended.

The third paper was issued by David Goshorn; the initial number appeared in 1874, under the name of THE OBSERVER. It was "Independent in all things, neutral in nothing," for a short time, but soon declared in favor of the principles of the Republican party. A lack of patronage compelled it to suspend, but upon its ruins the proprietor began the publication of a religious journal call the BAPTIST MESSENGER, which had a precarious existence, suspending once or twice, when the proprietor rented the office to G.W. Biggs, who issued a Democratic paper called the WEST UNION BULLETIN, which failed after a short existence, and Goshorn once more revived the MESSENGER and continued it until 1880, when it received the finishing stroke and ceased to be.

The fourth enterprise of the kind undertaken in the county was that of the publication of the WEST UNION RECORD in 1878 by F. Hickman; it is the only venture that has proven successful, and this the publisher has accomplished by untiring energy and determination. He has had the prejudice growing out of the preceding failure to contend against, but to-day the RECORD is one of the brightest and best among the journals of the Little Mountain State 15


The bill entitled an act to provide for the division into townships of the various counties composing this State passed the house and received the governor’s signature July 31, 1863. Its provisions were carried into effect; the sub-divisions thus made were known as townships until the adoption of the present State constitution, when the name was changed to district. We now proceed to notice briefly the history of each of these divisions as they exist in the county.


This is the most northern district in the county. It was named in honor of General George B. McClellan of "On to Richmond" fame. It is bounded northwest by Tyler county, north by Wetzel, east by Harrison and south by Grant district. The surface consists of sloping hills of gentle elevation, intervening between which are fertile valleys in which lie considerable areas of level land. It is drained by McElroy creek and its tributaries, among which are Left Hand fork, Middle fork, Mud Lick creek, Robinson fork, big Battle creek and Beggins creek.

The first settlement was made in 1812, at what is know as "Three Forks of McElroy" by Joshua and Israel Allen; they were originally from New Jersey, but came to this locality from near Clarksburg. The land upon which they settled is now owned and occupied by George Cumberledge. They were soon after joined by Emanuel Bates, Joshua Bates, John George and Christian Ash, who like themselves came to find homes in the then western wilds of Harrison county. All these men reared large families, and many of their descendants yet reside within the limits of Doddridge county. In 1827 there were but six voters within the present bounds of the district, viz.: Christian and Joshua Allen, Benjamin Yeater, Israel Allen, George Yeater and John George, and they had to go to Salem, a distance of twelve miles, to vote. "Three Forks," now called "Center Point," was made a voting precinct in 1845, and at the first election the following names appeared upon the poll books: Charles Bonnell, Israel Allen, Joshua Allen, William Colbert, Hugh Tate, Morgan Hudson, Benjamin Yeater, Winter Hudson, John Ash, John Beverlin, Emanuel Bates, Andrew Bates, John Bates, John Ashkraft, Barna Swiger, Thomas Swiger and Jonah Swiger. There were others, but after a lapse of nearly forty years they can not be ascertained.

The first grist mill was erected in 1829 by Elias Swiger; it was located three and one-half miles below Center Point, on the farm now owned by John Yeater. It was a water mill with one run of stone, cut from Copeland’s quarry, six miles above Clarksburg; our informant says, "they were not the regular ‘Mill Buhr,’ but a hard stone that would not wear off in grinding and make the meal gritty."

The first saw mill was located at Langfitts on McElroy creek; it was built by John Baker in the year 1830, with water power and the old-fashioned upright sash saw; the capacity was 1,000 feet per day. In 1847 flouring apparatus was added, and thus it became the first flouring mill in the district. 16

The school house was in 1825; it stood on the dividing ridge between Franks run and the Left Hand fork of McElroy creek. It was a small structure composed of round logs; with the roof held in place by weight poles; one end was occupied by a huge fire place, and from the other a log was cut out and over the aperture was pasted greased paper as a substitute for glass. The seats were made by splitting small logs in halves and inserting pins for legs, in the oval sides. The school was supported partly by taxation and partly by subscription. Zedic White was the first teacher, at which time there were about twenty pupils in attendance. There are now fourteen good school buildings in the district, of which five are hewed log and nine are frame. In them competent teachers are employed four months in the year.

The first church organization was that of the Pleasants Baptist Church, in 1845. Among the first members were Joshua Allen, Israel Allen, Samuel Beverlin, John Beverlin, John Mackey, and several members of their families. The second society formed was that of Mount Pisgah Methodist Church, of which the Rev. Boreman is the present pastor.


Is bounded on the north by McClellan district, east by Harrison county, south by New Milton and West Union district, and west by Tyler county. A freestone soil exists, in which is found occasional traces of limestone. A good building stone is found in several localities, and a shallow vein of bituminous coal lies near the level of the beds of the streams, but has not as yet been developed. The district is drained by Big Flint creek, Little Flint creek, Brush creek, East creek and Island creek, all of which flow either directly or indirectly into McElroy creek. Morgans run and Buckeye run in the south are tributaries of Middle Island creek.

The first actual settler within the present bounds of the district was Jesse Davis, who reared his cabin on Buckeye run, where George Ford now lives, in the year 1811. He was followed to his new home by W.F. Davis, Adam Ash, R.P. Nichols, Thomas Ford, H. Davis, W.B. Davis, H.B. Davis, and several others, all of whom were hardy pioneers, and by their industry and economy established the many comfortable homes now enjoyed by their descendants. The first white child born her was P.S. Davis, a daughter of Jesse Davis and Hannah is wife, in the year 1812. The first marriage was that of William B. Davis and Martha Hughs, in 1825. The second was that of D.D. Davis and Anna Davis; the marriage rite was performed by the Rev. John Davis.

The first grist mill was built in 1841, by Nathan J. Davis; it was situated on Buckeye fork of Middle Island creek, on the farm still owned by the builder of the mill. It was a water mill, and ground both corn and wheat; the bolting was done by hand. Mr. Davis also built the first saw mill, in 1845. Jacob Hanes, a practical mill wright, was the architect. The capacity was about 1,000 feet per day. 17

The first postoffice, called "Buckeye Run," was established in 1852. Mark Davis, a son of Colonel D. D. Davis, was the first postmaster. There are now three - Long Run, Morganville, and Flint.

The first sermon was preached in 1820 on buckeye creek by the Rev. Peter Davis, of the Seventh Day Baptist Church, and the Victory Baptist Church was the first religious society organized. It was formed about the same time that Mr. Davis began his ministry. The second organization was that of the "Carr" Methodist Episcopal Church, on big Flint creek. There are now several congregations in the district, among which are the Methodist on Big Flint and Buckeye creeks; the United Brethren on Buckeye and Morgan’s run, and the Baptist on Buckeye run. The first Sabbath school was organized by the Methodist on Little Flint creek in 1857. There are at present but two in the district, namely, the Union School on Big Flint and the Methodist on Buckeye. Of the former J.P. Carl is superintendent, W. Moore, H. Baker and I. Terkey are teachers.

Mrs. Mary Pinnell was born in Princess Ann county, Virginia, February 8th, 1782, and is consequently in the 102 year of her age, being the oldest person now living in Doddridge county. Her maiden name was Grow, but she changed it for that of Pinnell eighty four years ago, when she was united in marriage with her husband, with whom she lived fifty-nine years. She has been a member of the church for seventy years, and has reared eleven children, all of whom grew to maturity, and in turn have raised large families. Mrs. Pinnell has perhaps to-day the greatest number of living relatives of any one in the State. She claims to have at present time no fewer than 300 grand and great grandchildren.


So called for the fact that Central or Midway Station on the Parkersburg Branch of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad is situated within it, lies in the extreme western part of the county. The surface is considerably broken but not rough. Two ranges of low hills separated by Arnolds creek, traverse the entire district from northwest to southeast The soil consists of a mixture of the various clays, the whole underlaid with coal; which, however, has not yet been developed. Good building stone abounds throughout the district. Arnolds creek is the principal stream; it passes entirely through the district from the southeast to the northwest, and falls into Middle Island creek, where the Tyler county line crosses the latter. The other streams are Long run, Shinn run, Willow run, Clay lick, Middle creek, Right Hand and Left Hand fords - all of which are tributaries of Arnolds creek, so called in memory of a man by the name of Arnold, the second settler upon its banks. He reared his cabin near where Mr. Hudson now resides.

The first settler was Richard Dotson, who entered 600 acres of land, and in 1802 built his cabin near where Thomas Scott now resides. His earliest neighbors were James Scott, Nathan Davis, the Arnolds, Lottridges, Haltermans, Ruddecks and Fergusons. The first white child born in the district was Ruth Dotson, a daughter of Richard and Millie Dotson. The first person married was a Mr. Richards, who was united in marriage with a lady near Clarksburg, who at once accompanied him to his pioneer home. 18

The first grist mill was put in operation in 1845 by William B. Dotson; it was a horse-power mill, commonly known at that time as a tread mill, and was situated near the present site of Greenwood Station. The same year Shinn & Wilson erected the first saw mill; it was constructed after the old "Sash saw" pattern.

An old pioneer still living says that the first school was taught where Greenwood now stands, in the year 1812, but the name of the first teacher is among the things which have faded from the memory of men; the house occupied was a rude log cabin. The first building erected for school purposes was a cabin which stood four miles east of Greenwood on what was afterward known as the old State road. Both of these primitive buildings have long since disappeared, and not a vestige now remains to show the traveler where some of the boys, afterward prominent in the history of the new State, spent their first school days. There are now six good school buildings, two of which are designed for graded schools, namely, one at Central Station and the other two miles west at Duckworths Summit; both are two story buildings; the others are for primary country schools. There are but two postoffices in the district - Greenwood, the first one established, and Central Station, which came with the opening of the railroad in 1858.

The first religious discourse ever delivered in this section was by a traveling Hebrew in the year 1808, at the house of Richard Dotson. He claimed to be a member of the Masonic fraternity, and wore neither shoes nor hat, and declined to accept money when tendered him. He spent several days in the vicinity, and may years passed away before the old settlers forgot the eccentricities of the "Wandering Jew."

It appears that ministers of various denominations were preaching here as early as 1840, but no organization was perfected until 1851, when a society of the United Brethern was formed by the Rev. Elisha McLauthlin, at the house of Noah James, he being one of the first members. Others were Mary James, Aaron Duckworth and wife and Mrs. James, the mother of Noah James. On the 7th day of March, 1858, the celebrated Bishop Edwards visited this locality and preached in a little plank house at Central Station. In 1857 this denomination formed another society and still another in 1872. They have tow church buildings - a frame at Central Station and a hewed log structure on Long run. Rev. J.A. Blagg is the pastor in charge of the three congregations. The Methodist Episcopal Church have an organization at what is known as the Pleasant Grove Church in connection with which they have a flourishing Sabbath school. Rev. Cleuvront is the pastor. The Protestant Methodist also have a society at what is called Sunnyside Church in connection with which there is a Sabbath school. Rev. Wilson is in charge. The first Sabbath school was organized in 1853 by Rev. John Philips of the United Brethren Church. There are at present three in the district all under the care of this denomination - the Otterbein school and the Central and Greenwood schools. Of the first Rev. Devol is superintendent, of the second M.V. Carder, and of the third J.W. Boggess. 19

Greenwood and Central Station are the only villages in the district. Both are situated on the Baltimore & Ohio Railway. The former was for several hears called Fairview. The latter was laid out as a town in 1855, and the site sold by Lewis S. Davis to the Baltimore & Ohio Company in 1858.


J. S.C. BEE – is a son of Hon. Ephraim and Mary [Welch] Bee, and was born in this county, April 15, 1855. In Ritchie county, West Virginia, May 25 1882, he was united in marriage with Salina, daughter of Felix and Emily [Greathouse] Prunty. Her parents settled in Ritchie County in 1826, and in that county she was born, July 29, 1854. The father of Mr. Bee, one of the oldest and most prominent of the settlers of Doddridge county, four times a representative from the county to the General Assembly, and one of the signers of the constitution of West Virginia, has history in full on another page of this ENCYCLOPEDIA. J. S. C. Bee resides at Oxford, a town on the dividing line between Doddridge and Ritchie counties, where he has a well-stocked store of general merchandise and is postmaster.

S. V. BROWN – has a farm of 265 acres in South West district, on Lower run of Middle fork of Hughs river. It is well improved and under excellent cultivation with good buildings, and in one of the healthiest portions of West Virginia. He is a son of David E. and Deborah [Stalnaker] Brown, who have made their home in Ritchie county since 1852, but at the time of his birth, in 1835, were living in Lewis county, [now] West Virginia. S. V. Brown made his residence in Doddridge county in 1858, and in this county, in that year, he married Sarah E. Carrol. She was born in this county, May 18, 1842, a daughter of Godfrey and Mary A. [Grey] Carroll. Her father died in 1866, and her mother is living in this county. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Brown were born: Nancy Jane, 1859; Laurie E., 1863; James G., 1871; Whitmer D., 1873; Philmer S. S., 1881 – all living in Doddridge county. John M., born in 1862 died in the same year. S. V. Brown was eighteen months a member of the county court. In the war between the States, he was three years a member of the 6th Virginia Infantry. He is a leading member in the South Fork Baptist Church, and has been for many years one of its officers. His postoffice address is Holbrook, Ritchie county, West Virginia.

R. A. McCLAIN – born November 16, 1837, was a son of Robert and Elizabeth [Heck] McClain, who live in Ritchie county, this state. His birth was in Marion county, [now] West Virginia, and he came to this county before its organization. In Doddridge county, April 21, 1861, he married S. J. Summers, and their children are eight, all living in Doddridge county, the second daughter married, and living in a home of her own. These children were born: Alice, April 21, 1862; Josephine, January 1, 1864; Effie L., April 21, 1966; Walton Herbert, March 15, 1868; Cora, March 6, 1871; Jennie, February 22, 1874; Creed, July 12, 1878; Clark R., April 23, 1881; Elijah and Susan [Barnett] Summers, both deceased, are the parents of Mrs. McClain. They were well-known and esteemed residents of Doddridge county and in this county she was born, May 27, 1841. Mrs. McClain has a desirable home and a valuable farm of 102 acres in South West district. The land is watered with numerous fine springs, is under good cultivation 20

and well adapted to stock-raising in which he is largely interested, and is near a good market. He receives his mail at Holbrook, Ritchie county, West Virginia.

PETER B. MICHAEL – a native of Maryland, born April 8, 1844, is a son of George and Catharine [Broadwater] Michael, who live in Alleghany county, Maryland. April 14, 1866, in Ritchie county, West Virginia, were recorded the marriage vows of Peter B. Michael and Angie Collins, and their children were born: Lulu M., September 14, 1867; Jessie L., April 30, 1869; Rose J., December 15, 1872; Icera D., June 15, 1874; Brice E., January 19, 1877; Willie F., May 7, 1880; George T., July 10, 1883 – all residing in Doddridge county. John and Phoebe [Brice] Collins, residents of Ritchie county, are the parents of Angie, wife of Mr. Michael, and she was born in that county, in December, 1845. In 1878, Peter B. Michael took up his residence in Doddridge county, and his farm lies in South West district, where he has 400 acres of land, the best farm in Doddridge county. Over 100 acres of it is river bottom, numerous springs abound making it specially adapted for dairy purposes small fruit is raised in abundance, and one orchard contains 1,500 bearing apple trees. Mr. Michael is a large grower of stock, the entire farm well adapted to all kinds of stock-raising. His postoffice address is Oxford, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

JACOB A. RUPPERT – was born in Darmstadt, Germany, March 20, 1805, a son of Matthews and Elizabeth [Arnold] Ruppert, who were born and died in Darmstad. In that province, in 1833, Jacob A. Ruppert married Catherine Winebach, and in 1842 they left Germany to make their home in the New World. After a short stay in Baltimore, they came to Doddridge county, which has been their home since the year 1842. Henry S. and Mary [Charman] Winebach, the parents of Mrs. Ruppert, were born in the province of Darmstadt, came to America in 1837, and are now deceased. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ruppert were: John who married Clara Laibach, and lives in Lewis county, this State; Joseph who married Mary Reidenich, and lives in Cumberland county, Maryland, engaged in farming; Mary, who died at her parents’ home in Doddridge county in 1871, and lies buried at Baltimore, Maryland; Jacob, living at home; Millie, who died in 1875, and was buried at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where she was living at the time of her death. Jacob A. Ruppert has 485 acres of the best improved land in South West district Doddridge county, and 141 acres in Lewis county. His postoffice address is St. Clara, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

JOSEPH A. SUMMERS – Deceased – was born in Monongalia cunty, [now] West Virginia, April 14, 1833, a son of Elijah and Susan [Barnett] Summers. When he was seven years old his home was made in what is now Doddridge ounty, and here he continued to reside until his death, always, after he reached the years of manhood, prominently identified with the best interest of the county. He helped to build the first school house of this district, which also served as a church, and which was of the primitive pattern elsewhere described in these pages He waschosen justice of the peace, and for sixteen ears acceptably filled the office. When war was declared in 1861, he was one of the first to respond to the call for troops, and served as second lieutenant in the 6th Virginia Infantry and was afterwards made first lieutenant in the 4th Virginia Cavalry, and in the service he gave the causse he defended he contracted the disease from which his death ultimately resulted. In Doddridge county, February 2, 1856, Joseph A. Summers was joined in marriage with Nancy, daughter of Benjamin L. and Martha [Kelley] 21

Wilson. She was born September 29, 1838, in what is now Marion county, West Virginia. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Summers: M. A., August 28, 1857; Orvilla J., June 12, 1859, married Rev. George A. Woofter, and lives in Lewis county, this State; Frances P., August 14, 1862, and Emma J., April 13, 1865, are deceased; Dora O., April 2, 1867; Marion B., April 24, 1869; Grace A., August 27, 1871; Francis L., February 6, 1874; Dosia E., July 18, 1976; Josie A., May 2, 1879; M. A. Summers, for whom this sketch is compiled, resides in Doddridge county, South West district, and successfully follows the profession of teaching. His postoffice address is Holbrook, Ritchie county, West Virginia.

NEWTON G. WALDO – was born in Ritchie county, October 11, 1845, but since he was five years old has lived in South West district, near the boundary line of Ritchie. When he was eighteen years old he went into the Federal service, that being the third year of the civil war, and he was one year in the army, returning then to farm life, which has ever since been his occupation. In Ritchie county, March 11, 1875, were spoken the words joining in one the lives of Newton G. Waldo and Rosalie D. Bond, and to them have been born two sons: Walter l., December 30, 1876; Evert L., March 5, 1879 Hickman and Mary Waldo, the former born in 1818, are the parents of Newton G. Waldo, and his wife is a daughter of Richard E. and Emeline Bond. She was born in Doddridge county, the date of her birth June 20, 1854. Newton G. Waldo’s postoffice address is Holbrook, Ritchie county, West Virginia.

W. M. WILLIAMS – is a son of S. M. and H. A. [Vanhorn] Williams, who made their wedded home in Doddridge County in 1848. His father has a farm on Middle Fork of Hughs River, in what is know as Pine Grove. He has under cultivation 133 acres, and a school-house and church buildings are on the land. He was one of the first settlers in the district, and in 1854 helped to build its first school-house, of the pioneer style of architecture; he organized and was first superintendent of the first Sabbath school of the district. The children of M. and Mrs. Williams were born: Marcellas C., September 19, 1849; Helen V., September 8, 1851; Bertha A., July 3, 1854; Franklin P., October 28, 1856; S. L. , is deceased, Bertha A. living in Ritchie county, ad the other children in Doddridge county. Wm. And Jane [Maxson] Vanhorn were the parents of Mrs. Williams. W. M. Williams is a farmer of SouthWest district, with postoffice address at Grove, Doddridge County, West Virginia. 22


WILLIAM MATHIAS ASHBURN – is a son of Amaziah and Margaret [Cowell] Ashburn, and grandson of William Ashburn, who came to Doddridge County in 1841, was farmer and school teacher, and did much for the advancement of the county in its early days. William Ashburn’s children were four: Amaziah, born May 22, 1830; Flavius Josehus, March 10, 1832; Sarah Ann, January 3, 1834, died June 2, 1857; Alcinda, April 10, 1837. Amaziah, father of William M., served in the Federal army as sergeant of Company A, 14th West Virginia Infantry, also as surgeon. He was taken prisoner at Greenlands Gap, Maryland, and sent to Libby prison, where he was released after great suffering. He was again made prisoner at Cloyd Mountain, and sent to Andersonville. With his family he is now a resident in Doddridge County. William M. was born near West Union, August 21, 1852, and was married in Ritchie County, Columbia Josephine Butcher becoming his wife at her father’s residence in that county, April 30, 1874. Five children were born to them: Laura Etna, June 4, 1875; Aaron Lewis, December 5, 1876; George Parley, May 27, 1878; Jettie Levina, February 22, 1880; Ivy, April 12, 1881, died February 24, 1882; Tensie Isephine, August 21, 1882. Mrs. Ashburn was born in Ritchie County, Deember 6, 1851, a daughter of George W. and Amy [Stansbury] Butcher, now of Lewis County, West Virginia. Her father was born March 28, 1828, and was a soldier of the 1861 war, 17th West Virginia Infantry; her mother was born Aril 9, 1828. William M. Ashburn is a farmer of West Union district, with postoffice address at West Union, Doddridge County, West Virginia.

AMOS BEE – was born February 28, 1828, in that part of Harrison County, Virginia, now included in Doddridge County. He was a son of Ephraim and Catharine [Davis] Bee, whose extended record is given on another page of the ENCYCLOPEDIA. In that connection is also given the honorable war record of his three brothers, Josiah, Stinnett and Ephraim. Amos Bee was enrolling officier during the civil war, for Capt. Stone of Wheeling, preparing for draft. He served as deputy sheriff four years, 1877-81, was the first clerk of the school board under the free school system, and has been clerk of the board of supervisors. At West Union, March 20, 1856, Amos Bee and Melissa Welch were united in marriage, and to them have been born eight children; Genevra, April 6, 1857; Alonzo, April 17, 1859; Annie Bee, March 28, 1861; James A., November 12, 1863; Clara V., January 17, 1866; Ephraim E., August 17, 1868; Catharine, October 22, 1871; Mary, April 22, 1975. James and Margaret [Talbot] Welch, who died in Doddridge County, were the parents of Melissa, wife of Amos Bee, and she was born in Barbour County, [now] West Virginia, May 2, 1863. Amos Bee is successfully engaged in the tanning business, at West Union, Doddridge County, West Virginia.

JOSEPH CHEUVRONT – a merchant and proprietor of the Grant House, at West Union, Doddridge County, has been a resident of this county since August, 1845. He has served as justice of the peace, and in the troubled days when the Virginians were torn apart, he was appointed a division of the State. His birth was in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1821. Caleb and Rebecca [Colvert] Cheuvront his parents. They both died in the county of his nativity. 23

The first wifeof Joseph Cheuvront was B. A. H., daughter of Edward and Margaret Stewart. She was born April 30, 1823; and died February 27, 1877. Her father, born in 1800, is no longer living, and her mother born in 1805, is making her home in Harrison County. The Stewart family, to which Mrs. Cheuvront belonged, were among the earliest settlers of Western Virginia, and her parents came to Harrison County before the county of Doddridge was organized. Her father was one of the substantial and prominent men of his day. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Cheuvront were: Edward, born October 9, 1852; Lucy M. [Dotson], January 2, 1855; Charles S., February 28, 1859; Ellsworth, December 9, 1861, died January 15, 1867; Jane, March 3, 1865, died February 19, 1874. At West Union, Mary Ripley, born in Doddridge County, became the wife of Joseph Cheuvront. William B. Ripley, her father, is no longer living. Her mother, Maggy M. [Jarvis][Jones] Ripley, resides in Doddridge County. Jacob and Elizabeth Ripley, parents of William B., came from Greene County, Pennsylvania, at an early date, and were among the first settlers of this section. John and Margaret Jarvis, grand-parents of Mrs. Cheuvront, were also among the first settlers of Doddridge County. Mr. Jarvis died in 1860. His wife is still living in Doddridge County at the age of 87 years.

WILLIAM H. CHEUVRONT – son of Enoch B. and Jane [Courtney] Cheuvront, was born November 8, 1841, in Harrison County, [now] West Virginia. His mother died in Harrison County, and his father in Wood County, West Virginia. Theodore Cheuvront, half-brother of William H., was a member of Bowen’s Cavalry, during the war between the States, and had his left hand shot off in action. In November, 1857, William H. Cheuvront made his home in Doddridge County, and at West Union, November 8, 1876, his marriage was solemnized. His wife is Lelia M., daughter of John G. and Ella E. [Hatcher] McCally, and she was born in Glenville, Gilmer County, West Virginia. Here parents are residents in West Union, having made their home in Doddridge County in 1874. William H. Cheuvront has acceptably filled the office of mayor of West Union, and he is now a justice of the peace. His residence and postoffice address, West Union, Doddridge County, West Virginia.

OTHO COLMAN – is a native of Maryland, born in Alleghany County, January 20, 1829. Jesse Colman, his grandfather, was of English descent, born and raised in Pennsylvania, near Wilksbarre, on the Susquehanna River, Cumberland County. His son, Alton Colman, married Rachel Wilson, and made his home in Allegheny County, Maryland. He had a family of ten sons this sketch was the seventh son. Alton Colman and Rachel, his wife, died in Allegheny County. In 1855 Otho Colman came to Doddridge County, settling on Middle Island Creek, four miles from West Union He has 200 acres of improved land, one of the finest farms in the county. In 1849, in the State and county of his birth, Otho Colman was joined in wedlock with Rebecca Trolinger, born in that State and county, October 2, 1828. Their children were ten: Mathalena, Alva, John Lewis, Floyd Freeman, William Franklin, James E., Russell, Frances Elizabeth, Cora Ann, and Laura Alice. Alva, John and Laura are deceased. Mathalena married Solomon Weekly, in August, 1870, and they make their home in West Chester, Washington County, Iowa; and the other children are at home. S. D. and Jesse Colman, brothers of Otho, were soldiers of the Federal army in the 1861 war. Otho Colman’s postoffice address is West Union, Doddridge County, West Virginia. 24

EDGAR DAVISSON - owns one of the best improved farms in Doddridge county, consisting of 241 acres of land, located on Nutters fork of Middle Island creek, in West Union district, three miles from the county seat. He was born September 4, 1831, on Ten-mile creek, Harrison county, [now] West Virginia, a son of Julius E. and Nancy [Willis] Davisson, now deceased. In 1858 he made his home in Doddridge county, and his family record is: First wife, Mary, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Starkey. She died in the spring of 1861, and her remains are interred at the White Oak emetery, Ritchie county. She left one daughter, Eliza, born in 1859, now wife of Mr. Ratcliff. At the bride’s residence in Doddridge county, December 21, 1865, Edgar Davisson wedded Alcinda Bland, who died November 1, 1882. She was born December 19, 1847, a daughter of Richard, and Jane [Starkey] Bland. The children of Mr. Davisson’s second marriage are two: Willie H., born June 5, 1867; Harriet J., March 10, 1871. Edgar Davisson volunteered for service in the Federal army in the fall of 1861, entering Company H, 7th West Virginia Infantry. He marched from Grafton to Port Republic, where he first smelled powder and made his first retreat. He was in the battles of Port Republic, Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and at the surrender at Appomattox. He received from the government a medal bearing date "1861," and a shield, and the names of his engagements, for bravery on the field. He was detailed to work in the "pioneer corps," and was the only member who escaped imprisonment at the hands of the enemy. He was twice captured, but escaped before reaching prison each time. He was honorably discharged at Stephensburg, Birginia, in 1865. His postoffice address is West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

HAMILTON DOAK – was born near Josephs Mills, Tyler county, [now] West Virginia, January 22, 1834, a son of Alexander and Eliza [Ireland] Doak, who are still residents in Tyler county. In Doddridge county, October 30, 1856, Hamilton Doak was joined in marriage with Martha A. Freeman, who was born in Belmont county, Ohio, July 16, 1831, a daughter of Eleazar and Elizabeth [Smith] Freeman, her father now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Doak are the parents of nine children, all living in Doddridge county, who were born: Thomas, February 19, 1859; Albert, February 7 1861; Eleazar, February 1, 1963; Sarah E., December 25, 1864; Franklin and Francis, April 4, 1866; Eliza Ellen, July 26, 1869; Alexander, February 18, 1872; Harvy L., January 19, 1874. Thomas Freeman, rother of Mrs. Doak, served for three years in the civil war in the 14th West Virginia Infantry. Samuel Doak, grandfather of Hamilton, with his wife emigrated from Ireland to America in the early days of the nation, and reared a family of five children. Alexander his third child, came from Ohio to Tyler county, shortly after marrying, and reared a family of five sons and four daughters. His children are all living, the oldest now about forty-four years old. Eleazar Freeman, father of Mrs. Doak, was a son of Thomas and Lydia Freeman, who came from Pennsylvania. Her father moved from that State to Ohio, thence to Tyler county, where the parents of Mrs. Doak reared five sons and five daughters, she being the oldest. Hamilton Doak after marriage settled near Josephs Mills, Tyler county, where he cleared and put under cultivation a good farm. In 1872, he came to Doddridge county, and took up his abode on the waters of Nutters fork. He now has 346 acres, 240 cleared, and gives his attention principally to stock-raising and grazing. He may be addressed at West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia. 25

JAMES FORD – was born near Salem, in Grant district, Doddridge county, October 29, 1829, a son of Thomas and Elizabeth [Dye] Ford. Thomas Ford with his wife came from Eastern Virginia to what is now Doddridge county in 1810. His wife died February 10, 1833, and he married for a second wife Hannah Davis. He died February 9, 1860, having been the father of nine children. At the bride’s residence in Lewis county, [now] West Virginia, April 22, 1851, James Ford wedded Talitha W. Davis, and the record of their children is: Mary Florence, born October 24, 1852, died July 13, 1876, and is buried at New Salem, Harrison county, this State; Olive Sonora, born October 6, 1854, married Fred M. Swiger, September 15, 1881, and they live in this district; Septemius Ardvern, November 27, 1856, lives in this district; Samuel Lee, January 12, 1859; Clarence Laton, March 8, 1861; Waitman T. Willie, July 25, 1863; Lillie May, September 2, 1866; Ernest Ozro, March 26, 1869 – these five living at home. Jacob and Sarah [Hoffman] Davis, now deceased, were the parents of Talitha, wife of Mr. Ford, and she was born in Lewis county, near Jane Lew, August 1, 1827. George Ford, brother of James, was a soldier of the Confederacy, serving eighteen months. James Ford resided in Grant district for twenty-six years, and removed to his present farm in West Union district in 1877. He has 415 acres of land, of which about 275 acres are improved. His postoffice address is West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

JOSEPH FREEMAN – has a farm of 240 acres in West Union district, Doddridge county, principally devoted to stock-raising. He was born in Tyler county, near the Doddridge line, July 23, 1849, and his marriage was solemnized in Tyler county, November 14, 1871, Flora Smith on that date becoming his wife. Her birth was in Tyler county, the date February 25, 1848, and Hugh and Agnes [Thomas] Smith her parents. They are still honored residents in the county of her nativity. Her father was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, her mother in Tyler county, and the date of their marriage was May 5, 1841. Eleazar Freeman, born in Mahoning county, Ohio, married Elizabeth Smith, who was born in Greene ounty, Pennsylvania. Their marriage was consummated September 12, 1830, and they settled among the first pioneers in this vicinity. They were the parents of Joseph, subjet of this sketch. Thomas, another of their sons, served in the 1861 war, enlisting August 23, 1862, and receiving an honorable discharge, with rank of corporal, July 2, 1865, after having participated in some of the hardest fought battles of the war. Joseph Freeman’s postoffice address is West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

JOHN W. GATRELL – took up his residence in Doddridge county, West Virginia, in May, 1882, and at West Union is following his trade, that of blacksmith. He was born in Tyler county, [now] West Virginia, September 24, 1835, a son of Thomas and Catherine [Baker] Gatrell. His father died in 1858, at Sweeneys Mills, Doddridge county, and his mother died in West Union, in 1863. John W. Gatrell was a soldier of the 1861 war, serving in Company A, 25th Virginia Infantry, through the entire war. In 1863 he was wounded at the engagement of Mine Run. Duckett W. and William Gatrell, his brothers, were members of the 6th West Virginia Infantry, and the first-named was made prisoner in 1863, and sent to Salisbury prison. He escaped and came back through Tennessee to the union lines, breaking prison December 7, 1863, and reaching his home, March 19, 1864. The first wife of John W. Gatrell was Lou S. Benson, born February 14, 1843, died at Toll Gate, Ritchie county, West Virginia 26

June 15, 1878. Near Toll Gate, September 12, 1878, John W. Gatrell married Jennie, daughter of Joseph and Ruthie [Harris] Davis. Her parents are residents in Doddridge cunty, and in this county she was bor, on New Years Day, 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Gatrell have one adopted daughter, Daisy Alice, born August 26, 1878. John W. Gatrell’s postoffice address is West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

PHINEAS GANO – mayor of West Union, has been a resident of Doddridge county since April 29, 1870. He has been four years prosecuting attorney of the county, and is now serving his third term as mayor. He was born in Monroe county, Ohio, July 13, 1838, a son of John M. and Maria [Sykes] Gano. His father is still a resident of that State and county, and his mother’s death was in that county. Near Woodsfield, Monroe county, in August, 1859, Phineas Gano and Susanna Okey were united in marriage, and the children of their union are seven: Annie M., Viola A., John H, Permelia A, Grace I. A., Phineas J., and Theodore B. The wife of Mr Gano was born in Monroe county, Ohio, in September, 1839, a daughter of Henry and Ann Elizabeth [Brooks] Okey. Her mother is still a resident in Monroe county, her father deceased. Her mother’s mother is still living at the age of nearly 100 years, and her mother’s father died at the age of something over 100 years. From April 29, 1861, till the summer of 1865, Phineas Gano served in the Federal army. He enlisted in Company B, 25th Ohio Infantry, was promoted to quartermaster sergeant, then first lieutenant, and then assigned to duty as regimental quartermaster. His brother Jacob, who was a member of the 1st Ohio Cavalry, was body guard to General Thomas, acquitting himself with coolness and bravery on many dangerous occasions, notably on the field of Chickamauga. Phineas Gano is the present Grand Madter of the West Virginia I.O.O.F.

PETER S. HALDEMAN – born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, August 23, 1832, in that State and county became the husband of Anna E. Martin, March 1, 1855. She was born in Fayette county, November 18, 1837, and the children of their marriage were born: Sarah L., November 17, 1855; Emma J., February 28, 1857; Ella S., July 11, 1858, died December 23, 1882; Margaret E., March 16, 1861, died July 14, 1883; Mary A., December 14, 1862, died August 21, 1870; Henry M., February 22, 1865; George C., January 1, 1867; Alice A., July 17, 1869. The parents of Peter S. Haldeman were Peter Haldeman, who died in 1869, and Salome Shirer, who died in 1865. His wife was a daughter of James and Susan [Roderick] Martin. Her father died November 17, 1875, and her mother is living in Fayette county, Pennsylvania. In 1878 Peter S. Haldeman cast his fortunes in with the people of Doddridge county, establishing himself at West Union as blacksmith and wagonmaker. He is a thorough mechanic in his line, a manufacturer of first-class work. He is in the membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a member of the I.O.O.F. His postoffice address is West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

F. D. HICKMAN – born in Tyler county, [now] West Virginia, March 8, 1825, and Harriet S. Morris, born in Tyler county, December 19, 1825, were in that county joined in marriage, August 30, 1845. He was a son of David and Nancy [Wells] Hickman, and his wife 27

was daughter of James and Elizabeth [Davis] Morris, and the parents of both are now deceased. His father was a veteran of the 1812 war. The record of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Hickman is: Laura A. [Stealey], born in October, 1846, lives in Middlebourne, Tyler county; Edwin H., born June 28, 1849, died the same day; Francis F., June 28, 1851, died March 31, 1853; May [Jeffrey], born June 25, 1853, lives at West Union; F., born October 8, 1856, editor at West Union; Lizzie, born October 29, 1858, and Thomas, born December 1, 1861, live at West Union. F. D. Hickman was appointed clerk of the circuit and county courts, and held both offices for fourteen years. He was clerk of the board of supervisors for five years, until the office was abolished, and he is now commissioner of accounts for Doddridge county. He was one of the earliest settlers of the county, and assisted in making the original survey of West Union, and was a merchant at this point for many years. He was editor of the Herald, one of the first papers of the county. F. Hickman, the eldest living son, is editor of the West Union Record, which he began to edit in September, 1878, at the age of twenty-two years, with no experience in the business. He is the first man who has made the newspaper business a success in this county.

SNODEN S. KINNEY – is a son of Israel and Cassandra [Tucker] Kinney, who became residents in Doddridge county in 1831, and he was born in this county, December 24, 1839. His father died April 24, 1872, and his mother died March 9, 1874. John Kinney, grandfather of Snoden S., came to this county from Greene county, Pennsylvania and Israel, his second son, father of Snoden S., accompanied him. On arriving at manhood Israel settled on the farm on Nutters fork of Middle Island creek, where his son was born, and which is now the son’s home. In this county, December 2, 1866, Snoden S. Kinney married Rosaline, daughter of James and Cassia [Williams] Pinell. She was born in Doddridge county, on Big Flint run, May 2, 1844, and the children of her union with Mr. Kinney were born: James Porter, September 13, 1867; Margaret Lenora, July 20 1869; Gordon Warren, August 8, 1871; Malzina, January 21, 1874; Ora Alice May 20, 1876; Laura Agnes, February 23, 1880; Crtis Garfield, September 22, 1882. Snoden S. Kinney entered the Federal army at West Union, in July, 1862, Company A, 14th West Virginia Infantry, and was in engagements of Cloyd Mountain, Lynchburg, Winchester, Opequon, Fishers Hill, and others. At the last named engagement he was wounded by a shell, and lay two months in the hospital, returning then to the service. He receives his mail at West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

JOHN J. INGLE – prosecuting attorney of Doddridge county, West Virginia, was born in West Union, November 10, 1855, a son of John Jacob and Mahala R. [Inghram] Ingle. His father is now deceased, and his mother living in West Union. The wife of Mr. Ingle is Gertrude L., daughter of Alfred C. and Eliza W. [Holt] Holmes. She was born in Gilmer county, [now] West Virginia, in 1858, and was eleven years old when her parents became 28

residents of Doddridge county. At West Union, October 31, 1878, were recorded the marriage vows of John J. Ingle and Gertrude L. Holmes, and one son and one daughter have been born to them: J. Mahala, August 15, 1880; William H, August 10 1882. Arthur Ingle, brother of John J., was a member of Company 1, 7th West Virginia Cavalry, during the civil war. William, another brother, died in Mississippi, carrying provision to the yellow fever sufferers. In 1877, John J. Ingle was elected school commissioner, and has filled the office to the present time; March 21, 1877, was appointed notary public; was census enumerator of West Union district for the census of 1880; was appointed commissioner of the county court in 1878, and of the circuit court in 1879. He is filling his present office of prosecutor with credit to himself, and acceptably to the people.

BENJAMIN H. MAULSBY – born November 5, 1835, in Harrison county, has been a resident in what is now Doddridge county, since he was three years of age. His parents were Lawson B. Maulsby, who died in Harrisville, Ritchie county, in 1844, and Elizabeth [Ogden] Maulsby, still a resident of Doddridge county. Near Parkersburg, Wood county, [now] West Virginia, March 13, 1860, Benjamin H. Maulsby was united in marriage with Ann B. Foley, who was born in that county, February 29, 1832. She was a daughter of Mason and Hannah [Phelps] Foley, now both deceased. Etta Virginia, born June 9, 1861, and Camilla Ann, born February 21, 1868, are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Maulsby. He had three brothers in the civil war: John W., three years a member of the 6th Virginia infantry; Thomas A., captain of the Maulsby Battery of Artillery, and George J., who served three years in the 3rd West Virginia Infantry. Thomas A. was severely wounded at Martinsburg, in 1862, and incapacitated by his wound for further service. Mr. Maulsby had also five sisters: the oldest, Louisa E., was married to E. B. Southworth, and resided in West Union, died in 1862; Tabiltha A. died in 1844, at Harrisville, Ritchie county, at the age of thirteen years; Emily V. was married in 1853, to D. H. Lantz, who lived but few months; she was afterwards married to Levi Zartman, of Perry county, Ohio, where she still resides – Mr. Zartman died several years since; Charotte A. was married to Noah Hetrick, of Perry county, Ohio, where they resided for a number of years – they now reside in Hardin county, Ohio; Mary L., the youngest of the family, was married to John T. Johnston, of this county, in 1862, and has resieded in the county since that time. Benjamin H. Maulsby has served in Doddridge county as justice of the peace, and he is one of the county commissioners at the present time. At West Union he is engaged in a mercantile business and is agent for the B. & O. Railroad. He is also engaged in faming and grazing in Doddridge and Wood counties this State. Postoffice address, West Union.

COL. FLOYD NEELY –was a son of Matthew and Maria [Newlon] Neely, both now deceased, and a grandson of John Neely, a soldier of the Revolution. Matthew Neely was a soldier of the 1812 ward, and was a resident in Harrison county, [now] West Virginia, where the subject of this sketch was born. In 1832, with his family, Matthew Neeley settled in that part of Harrison county now included in Doddridge, and he was therefore one of the earliest settlers in this county, and was its first sheriff. From 1852 to 1856 Floyd Neely was sheriff of Doddridge county, and he served as deputy sheriff for three or four years previous to 1852. He was again 29

elected sheriff in 1860. During the civil war he was colonel of the 18th West Virginia Infantry. In 1869 he represented Doddridge county in the State legislature. At Parkersburg, Wood county, West Virginia, April 3, 1883, Floyd Neely was joined in wedlock with Nannie Smith, who was born in Smithfield, Isle of Wight county, Virginia, March 31, 1840. She was a daughter of Rev. Thomas Smith, nw deceased, and A. M. Smith, now living in Parkersburg. Col. Neely’s postoffice address is West Union Doddridge county, West Virginia.

ZACHARIAH OFFUTT – son of Andrew and Eliza [Warfield] Offutt, was born in Montgomery county, Maryland, July 12, 1826. His paternal great-grandfather emigrated from Wales to America, settling in Montgomery county Maryland, where three generations of the family were born. His maternal great-grandfather came from England, and under the English law left his entire estates to his oldest son, oseph, who was father of Eliza, wife of Andrew Offutt. Joseph Warfield served in the Continental army in the Revolutionary war receiving no compensation therefore except his three rations a day. AndrewOffutt was a soldier of the 1812 war, and is now deceased, as is his wife. In Doddridge county, November 25, 1855, Zachariah Offutt was united in marriage with Harriet Neely, who was born in this county, November 26, 1836. Matthew and Maria [Newlon] Neely, her parents, died in this county, her mother’s death occurring on the 24th of February, 1851. Edwin S. Neely, Mrs. Offutt’s brother, served three years in the Federal army. Mr. and Mrs. Offutt’s children were born: Harold W., August 26, 1856 died at Chattanooga, Tennessee, September 18, 1878; Franklin F. M., December 10, 1857, died in Anderson county, Tennessee, July 24, 1882; Julia Eliza [Pride], December 25, 1859; Harriet, December 6, 1861; Robert W., December 13, 1863; Willie G., December 3, 1866; Eva B., September 8, 1868; Matthew, November 10, 1870; Mary H., October 19, 1873; Nicholas D., August 25, 1876, died April 4, 1877; J. B., April 5, 1878, died September 27th following. Robert is at school in Pittsburg, the other living children at home. The tow oldest were born in Tennessee, Eliza in Baltimore, Nicholas in Maryland, and the other children in Doddridge county. In 1853 Mr. Offutt and his brother N. D., took a contract for four sections of grading for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, in Harrison and Taylor counties, and he permanently settled in Doddridge county in 1859. At Smithton he engaged in mercantile pursuits for five years, then settled on his farm in West Union district. In 1855 he went to Tennessee, and lived there three years. In 1873-4 he lived in Montgomery county, Maryland. In 1870 he was elected justice of peace in and for Doddridge county, and served two years. His postoffice address is Morgansville, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

L. C. SHANNON – was born and wedded in Doddridge county, and in this county is following the avocations of farm life. He was born near West Union, August 1, 1848, a son of William and Providence Odell [Jones] Shannon. At West Union, November 17, 1869, he married Maria L. Duckworth, born in Alleghany county, Maryland, May 14, 1846. Their children are eight: Willie, born September 13, 1870; Charles, March 20, 1872; Anna Odell, January 21, 1874; Ernest, August 17, 1875; Frank, December 17, 1879; Arthur Garfield, December 20, 1880; Emma Laura, January 11, 1883. Israel Duckworth, father of Mrs. Shannon, died in 1882; her mother is still living in this county. The father of L. C. Shannon died in Ohio, 30

in 1852, and his mother is living near Vinton, Gallia county, Ohio. Thomas A. Jones and Gamble Shannon, grandfathers of L. C., were pioneers of Doddridge county, both settling near the present site of Smithton. His grandfather Jones was a veteran of the 1812 war, and died in 1883, at the age of about ninety years. Lewis E. Jones, uncle of L. C., was a Federal soldier in the war of the States, serving in Company B, 30th Ohio Infantry. Mrs. Duckworth’s parents came from Maryland to this county about twenty years ago, locating on the farm in West Union district now owned by L. C. Shannon and N. E. Duckworth. Mr. Shannon’s address is West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia.

HON. CHAPMAN J. STUART – son of Edward and Margaret Stuart, was born January 8, 1820, in that part if Bath county, Virginia, now included in Highland. His first wife was Elizabeth E., daughter of William and Anna [Unkles} Litle. She was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, September 20, 1823, and died October 27 1855. Of this marriage one daughter survives, Anna R., born November 1, 1849, now the wife of Dr. M. C. Daugherty, of Grafton, Taylor county, West Virginia. One daughter and two sons, Isabella, William and Arthur, died young. In Highland county, Virginia, Chapman J. Stuart and Mary A. Stuart were married, January 25, 1858. She was a daughter of Charles and Therese Stuart, and was born in Bath county, Virginia, May 18, 1837. The children of this marriage were five: W. Scott, born May 27, 1861, now a cadet at the West Virginia University; Agnes, May 27, 1866; Elizabeth, October 2, 1869; Therese, January 18, 1872; Douglas, December 17, 1874. The subject of this sketch held the office of prosecuting attorney for Doddridge county by successive re-elections, from 1852 until 1861, when he resigned. He was elected from the district composed of Doddridge and Tyler counties to the convention that met in Richmond in 1861 [in February], and there opposed the ordinance of secession. When it had been passed he returned to his constituents and opposed its adoption. He was a member of the Wheeling convention of 1861, where the action taken in Richmond was repudiated. In the spring of 1861 he was elected to the Virginia Senate from the counties of Harrison, Doddridge, Ritchie, and Wood, and met with the restored government at Wheeling until the formation of the State of West Virginia. In 1862 he was a member of the constitutional convention that framed the constitution of West Virginia; was chairman of the committee on boundaries of that body and when submitted to the people its adoption was advocated by him over a large portion of the State. In 1863 he was elected judge for the 4th Judicial Circuit of West Virginia, composed of Wetzel, Tyler, Doddridge, Ritchie, Gilmer and Pleasants counties, and at the expiration of his term of office he was re-elected, serving until, under the new Constitution, the office ceased to be, Januart 1, 1873. He represented Doddridge county in the State legislature in the session of 1874-5, and again in 1878-9. In the first-named session he was one of the managers of impeachment and trial before the Senate of John S. Burdett and E. A. Bennett, State treasurer and auditor, and prosecuted these cases through the entire proceedings. He was in the service of the Federal government for nine months of the civil war, holding commission of lieutenant-colonel of the 14th West Virginia Infantry, and taking an active part in recuiting volunteers. He raised Company A, of the 14th regiment. Judge Stuart made his home in Doddridge county in 1846 and his residence and postoffice address are West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia. 31

WILLIAM D. MATHEWS – was born on Christmas Day, 1856, in Marshall county, [now] West Virginia, a son of William and Susan [Sampson] Mathews who are still residents of that county. In Marshall county, December 14, 1849, was born Mary E. Zink, who, on the 29th of December, 1880, became the wife of William D. Mathews. Henry M. and Mercy [Ingraham] Zink, her parents, died in Warren county, Illinois. In July, 1881, Mr. and Mrs. Mathews became residents in Doddridge county, and at West Union he is keeping a furniture store. His wife is general agent for West Virginia for the most perfect system of cutting ladies’ and children’s dresses yet invented. It is a system based on true mathematical principles, is not complicated, and does lightning work. Intelligent persons comprehend and can use the system in twenty or thirty minutes, and an hour’s study will give a full understanding of it to the slowest mind. The great points of this system are: Simplicity, rapidity of work and perfect results. Perfect fits can be made every time. Every woman and girl can sew, but only one in a thousand dares to cut or can cut. This system fully supplies their want, and every sewing machine should have one for a companion. The system consists of five pieces, complete, and full directions accompanying each system. Price per system, complete, $4.00, by express, mail, or at the agency. You can learn without a teacher, but special instructions will be given if required, in which case the price is $5.00. Apply for an agency, or for a single system, to the furniture store, or for further particulars address Mrs. W. D. Mathews, West Union.