The Historical Society of Schuylkill County Wynkoop Family Holdings
1. Papers relating to the complaint of Anna Wynkoop widow of Francis Wynkoop against Angelina Wynkoop mother, John Wynkoop brother, Mrs. Anna Wynkoop Atwood, etc.
2. Deposition of William and Emily Wynkoop Brindle
3. Letter of H. Gressang to Mrs. Francis Wynkoop (1858)
4. Various papers of General and Colonel George C. Wynkoop including:
Muster out roll of August 1861
5. Other papers of George C. Wynkoop including:
1877 enrollment of Pottsville
6. Letter of Benjamin Haywood to Mrs. George C. Wynkoop 1868
7. Letter of Mrs. George C. Wynkoop 1861
8. Letter of George C. Wynkoop to Henry Morris 1848
9. Col. John Wynkoop letters to Gen. L. Thomas and others 1862-63
10. Mrs. John E. Wynkoop 4 letters to Col. George C. Wynkoop 1863
11. Two Wynkoop swords are in the possession of the Historical Society of Schuylkill County, PA. One sword belonged to Col. Francis Wynkoop and the other belonged to Major John Wynkoop both of Pottsville. They are very highly prized items in the collection of the Historical Society. General George Wynkoop's sword is on display at the Pennsylvania Museum of History in Harrisburg.
Historical Society of Schuylkill County
I would like to thank Mark Major, [email protected], Asst. Treasurer of the Historical Society of Schuylkill County, Pottsville, Pennsylvania for the time and effort he took in making an inventory of the Historical Society collection for me and for keeping a watchful eye out for Wynkoop researchers.
Mark is the author of several books on local Pottsville history, including a terrific one on the notorious Molly Maguires of mining fame: A Guide to the Molly Maguires, by Howard T. Crown and Mark T. Major, 1996. A general guide to the Molly Maguires, including: The Molly Maguire Tour, Chronology, Participants, Mining & Related Industries, and closing issues. He is also the author of an article on "Schuylkill County in the Civil War" which features, among many things, Col. George Campbell Wynkoop's efforts in the war.
Thanks for all your help and enthusiasm, Mark. I couldn't have done it without you.
Created May 31, 1999; Revised October 27, 2002
Comments to [email protected]
Copyright © 1999, 2001-2002 by Christopher H. Wynkoop, All Rights Reserved
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my written consent.