USS McDougal, DD54 WWI

USS McDougal, DD-54

WWI "Thousand Tonner"

Displacement: 1,050 tons, length: 305'6", beam: 31'1"; draft: 9'6"; speed: 29 k, crew: 101 in peace time, 132 war time, armament: 4 four-inch 50 cal. guns, eight 21-inch torpedo tubes in 4 twin-deck mountings, Machinery, 17,000 SHP; Direct Drive Parsons (geared crusing) Turbines With Triple Expansion Engines, 4 Normand boilers with a total heating surface of 21,509 sq. ft., 2 screws, Fuel Oil Capacity: 327 tons Class: Cushing

The first McDougal (DD-54) was laid down by Bath Iron Works, Ltd., Bath, Maine, 29 July 1913; launched 2 April 1914; sponsored by Miss Marguerite S. LeBreton; and commissioned at Boston 16 June 1914, Lt. (jg.) J. H. Hoover in temporary command and Lt. Comdr. Leigh C. Palmer in command 27 July 1914.

During her speed trials she turned in a speed of 30.7 kts., making her the fastest of the six ships in her class. After shakedown, McDougal began duty with the Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet. Prior to America's entry into World War I she operated out of New York and Newport R.I., and carried out maneuvers and tactical exercises long the east coast. She cruised to the Caribbean and took part in fleet war games between January and May 1916, and in addition served intermittently with the neutrality patrol. For the first 3 months of 1917 she again joined in exercises in the Caribbean, then returned to New York and Newport to prepare for distant service.

McDougal departed Boston 24 April 1917 and steamed with the pioneer American destroyer group under the command of Comdr. J. K. Taussig to Queenstown, Ireland, arriving there 4 May. When the British Navy commander, Vice Admiral Sir Lewis Bayly asked Cmdr. Taussig when his squadron would be ready for service, Taussig gave his famous reply "We are ready now, Sir." Among the first destroyers to join English Forces for duty after the entry of the United States into World War I she patrolled off the Irish coast and escorted convoys of merchant ships and troop transports through waters menaced by German submarines to British ports and the French coast. She carried out unrelenting patrols against the U-boats and, in addition, performed rescue operations in the war zone.

Every day the McDougal was at sea she was on aleart for a lurking German U-boat. On May 9, 1917 at 05:06 in the morning in position 50.35N 11.20W the McDougal sights a torpedo track head for the ship. The torpedo missed the ship and the crew dodged thier first attack, however no U-boat was seen before or after this attack. Four days later on May 15 they sight a surfaced U-boat at 06:15 in the morning, but the German quickly dove under and that was all they saw of the sub.

When British ship SS Manchester Miller was torpedoed at 08:30 in the morning on June 5, 1917, McDougal sped to her assistance and rescued 33 of her survivors. There were 8 killed aboard the Manchester Miller by the explosion of the torpedo. While the McDougal was picking up the 33 survivors another of the ships in the same convoy, the HMS Camelia closed into the Manchester Miller, and made fast a tow line, but the Miller was mortally wounded and sank a short time while still being towed. The next event took place on June 16, 1917 when the SS Falloden was torpedoed but did not sink. The McDougal arrived and escorted the stricked Falloden back to port where they arrived the next day on June 17.

The next month on July 27, 1917 at 10:30 that morning the McDougal picks of 24 survivors of the SS Begonia IV which had been sunk at position 51.14N 11.43 W. On September 8, 1917 the McDougal is just south of Lizard when they sight a U-boat near thier convoy at 01:25 in the morning. The Captain of the McDougal rings up flank speed and circles to drop a pattern of depth charges of which resulted in a large amount of oil that appeared on the surface in the spot where the depth charges were dropped. This was likely a kill for the men of the McDougal.

While escorting a convoy in the Irish Sea McDougal collided with the 3,535 gross ton British merchantman Glenmorag on 4 February 1918, slicing off most of the stern of the McDougal. The Glenmorag was a 350' long single-screw steamer built in 1906 by A. Rodger & Company of Port Glasgow, Scotland. The 48' beam Glenmorag survived the collision and was repaired and continued in service in the 1920's on the Cuba to New York routes for the Easton & Greig Co. She was sold and renamed Anton in 1932, ending her service life by scrapping in 1935. McDougal after the collision made her way to Liverpool for repairs and was laid up until mid-July 1918 when she again resumed convoy escort duties.

McDougal in the dry-dock at Liverpool showing her damaged stern.
Both her propellers can be seen and a sailor stands on the Second Deck showing just how opened up the stern was from the collision with the Glenmorag. The Main Deck can be seen above his head.

As of March 1, 1918, this is a list of officers and warrant officers who had served aboard the McDougal:
Ensign (T) Walter P. Shiel, USN
Machinist (T) Adolphus M. Dryden, USN
Lt. Chapman C. Toff, Jr., USN
Lt. Robert C. Bourret, USN
Lt. Francis S. Craven, USN

On August 11, 1918 at 3:05 in the afternoon the troopship USS Henry R. Mallory was attacked by an unknown German U-boat. The U-boat fired one torpedo and missed the Mallory. In a report filed by the USS Conner, one of the escorting vessels this is what happened. The Mallory was traveling in a convoy of 8 ships and 10 escorts. The 8 ships were the USS Henry R. Mallory, SS Calamares, USS Maui, USS Siboney, USS Tenadores, the Italian ship Re D'Italia, SS Orizaba and the SS America Italian. The USS Siboney was flagship for this convoy. The escorts were the USS Conner, USS Winslow, USS Dayton, USS Porter, USS Warrington, USS McDougal, USS Fanning, USS Roe, USS Ericsson and the USS Tucker. That day August 11, 1918 the weather was misty the sea was smooth and visibility was 7,000 yards. The convoy was traveling on a base course of 108° and had just changed course 45° to port on account of the destroyers were dropping depth charges off the starboard side of the convoy. At 3:08 in the afternoon a torpedo track in the water was sighted off the port side of the Mallory. The torpedo missed ahead of the Mallory. Two minutes after that a periscope was sighted by one of the other ships in the convoy. The USS Maui fired one shot at the sub from her port side deck gun. The escorting destroyers USS Fanning, Ericsson, and Roe searched the spot where the sub was spotted and the convoy disappeared off into the mist. The Fanning dropped 14 depth charges, Ericsson dropped 8 depth charges and the Roe dropped 5 depth charges on the U-boats position.

As McDougal escorted a convoy off the southwest coast of England, she detected a surfaced submarine in the early hours of 8 September and gave chase at fun speed. The U-boat submerged about 500 yards ahead of the closing destroyer, and McDougal dropped two depth charges which brought an oil slick to the surface. Her skillful maneuvering and prompt attack saved the convoy from attack and resulted in probable damage to the submarine.

During the remaining months of World War I she operated out of Brest, France, as escort for convoys approaching and departing that vital Allied port. Following the Armistice, she served along with the USS Ericsson as part of the escort for USS George Washington when the transport arrived at Brest 13 December with President Woodrow Wilson embarked.

During World War One the McDougal was commanded by 4 different Skippers. They were; Commander Vaughn K. Coman, Lt. Commander Francis Cogswell who had previously commanded the USS Fanning, Commander William T. Conn, Jr., and Commander Arthur P. Fairfield.

McDougal departed Brest 21 December with Destroyer Division 7 and reached New York 8 January 1919 where she resumed duty along the east coast. In May 1919, McDougal sailed to the Azores to observe and support the historic first aerial crossing of the Atlantic, made by four Navy seaplanes on 8-31 of May. These were the Curtiss (NC) Flying Boat Nicknamed the "Nancy Boat". Franklin D. Roosevelt, Assistant Secretary of the Navy and a leading proponent of the flight, petitioned Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels for approval of the flight. Roosevelt traveled to Rockaway Beach prior to the transatlantic flight, asked for and recieved a ride in the number 3 plane, NC-3 piloted by his boyhood friend Lt. James L. Breese, USNRF Cmdr. Richard E. Byrd, USN, invented aerial navigation instruments that made the flight possible and later used them in his polar explorations. There were 61 station ships on the route to assist in navagition and weather information and to supply fuel and supplies. The McDougal was one of 13 ships stationed in the Azores to Lisbon section. Of the 13 ships 3 of her other ships in her class were on station with her. They were the USS Winslow (DD53), USS Ericsson (DD56), USS O'Brien (DD51). Of the four Navy Curtiss Flying Boats only one, the NC-4 made the historic trip. The other 3 planes were damaged and could not finish.

After completing exercises in the Caribbean, she was placed in commission in reserve at New York 7 August. She was laid up in reduced commission at Philadelphia and Charleston in the years that followed, but she trained in New England waters during the summer of 1921. She decommissioned at Philadelphia 26 May 1922 and berthed with the reserve fleet until loaned to the Coast Guard as CG-6 on June 7 1924. While with the reserve fleet McDougal on 1 July 1923, was one of 6 Destroyers in Destroyer Division Two, Destroyer Squadron One. After her duties with the Coast Guard she was returned to the custody of the Navy 30 June 1933, she remained in noncommissioned status. She lost her name to new construction on July 1, 1933. In accordance with terms of the London Treaty, she was ordered scrapped 29 June 1934. Her name was struck from the Navy list 5 July 1934, and she was sold for scrap to Michael Flynn, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., 22 August 1934.

USS McDougal Images

Post Card shared by Tom Osborn

A early hand colored post card showing the USS McDougal making her way down the newly opened Cape Cod Canal. On June 22, 1909, construction of the canal finally began under the direction of August Belmont, Jr of the Boston, Cape Cod & New York Canal Company, using designs drawn by engineer William Barclay Parsons. There were many problems that the engineers of the canal encountered. One was mammoth boulders left by the retreat of Ice Age glaciers. Divers were hired to blow them up, but the effort slowed dredging. Another problem was cold winter storms, which forced the engineers to stop dredging altogether and wait for spring. Nevertheless, the canal opened, on a limited basis, in 1914, and it was completed in 1916. The privately-owned toll canal had a maximum width of one hundred feet, and a maximum depth of 25 feet, and took a somewhat difficult route from Phinney Harbor at the head of Buzzards Bay. Due to the narrow channel and navigation difficulty, several accidents occurred which limited traffic and blackened the canal's reputation. As a result, despite shortening the trade route from New York City to Boston by 62-miles, toll revenues failed to meet investors' expectations. A German U-boat, the U-156, surfaced three miles off Orleans, on July 21, 1918 and shelled the tug Perth Amboy and her string of four barges. The Director General of the United States Railroad Administration took over jurisdiction and operation of the canal four days later under a presidential proclamation.

McDougal under way and making smoke.

This photo was shared by the grandson of Leon Francis Guinaud (b abt. 1892 d. 1954) and Chief Enginman aboard the McDougal. It is the excact same as the one above and this photo has been rolled up for almost 90-years and is not in the best of shape. The family story about this photo is that as the McDougal was making smoke and passing by the photographer the men are standing at the rails. If you look between the four funnels of the McDougal there is but one man standing dressed in whites, which was said to have been a place of honor. But Leon Francis and his son Leon Carl Guinaud were both known in the family to be great story tellers.

The USS McDougal running in a smoke screen. On her starboard side can be seen the coveted Navy "E". This is a May 1917 photo and she would have been with the American destroyer group under Comdr. J. K. Taussig in Queenstown, Ireland at that time.

Above is a photo of the officers and crew of the McDougal when the ship was in Queenstown, Ireland. Next to the McDougal is another unidentified desytoyer of the same class. In the group of 5 seated officers in front of the main gun the center officer has the sleeve markings of a Lt. Commander. During WWI the McDougal had 4 commanding officers, three of whom were full Commanders but only one was a Lt. Commander. So it is assumed that this is Lt. Commander Francis Cogswell, USN shown on this photograph.

USS McDougal's Ships Muster

As I find names of men who sailed this ship I will add them here with what I know of each. If you know additional facts about these men or others who were crew of the USS McDougal please e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

Lt. Cmdr. Francis Cogswell, US Navy

Lt. Cmdr. Francis Cogswell was the Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Fanning & U.S.S. McDougal during World War I. He was awarded the Navy Cross and his citation reads: "The Navy Cross is awarded to Lieutenant Commander Francis Cogswell, U.S. Navy, for distinguished service in the line of his profession as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Fanning and the U.S.S. McDougal, engaged in the important, exacting and hazardous duty of patrolling the waters infested with enemy submarines and mines, in escorting and protecting vitally important convoys of troops and supplies through these waters, and in offensive and defensive action, vigorously and unremittingly prosecuted against all forms of enemy naval activity."

Cmdr. Vaughan Kimball Colman, US Navy

Cmdr. Coman was one of the Commanding Officers of the U.S.S. McDougal during World War I and was awarded the Navy Cross. His citation reads: "The Navy Cross is awarded to Commander Vaughan Kimball Colman, U.S. Navy, for distinguished service in the line of his profession as commanding officer of the U.S.S. McDougal, engaged in the important, exacting and hazardous duty of patrolling the waters infested with enemy submarines and mines, in escorting and protecting vitally important convoys of troops and supplies through these waters, and in offensive and defensive action, vigorously and unremittingly prosecuted against all forms of enemy naval activity."


Bill Lawson shared with me about his father. Bill grew up thinking that his father served on the McDougal in WW1. Recently, though he looked up the ship's history and cross checked it with Dad's time of service in the Navy. Apparently, he left the ship before it went to war. His service dates were Mar. 27, 1913 to Aug. 2, 1916.

Edmund McGrath

The Grandfather of Sean Hart served on the USS McDougal during WWI. His name was Edmund McGrath he was born in 1899 and lived in Brooklyn, New York. He died in 1979 and is buried in the National Cemetary in Farmingdale, New York.

Charles Minor Blackford, McDougal Crewman and Author od the book Torpedoboat Sailor

An excellent source of additional information on the McDougal and her World War I service is the 1968 book Torpedoboat Sailor by Charles Minor Blackford. Blackford was transferred from his first ship, the old torpedo boat destroyer USS Paulding (DD-22), when she was decommissioned to the newer and larger McDougal in January of 1917.

He had mixed emotions about being sent to the McDougal. While her “snap and dash” thrilled him, she was also known by east coast destroyer sailors as the “Madhouse Mac” because of her captain’s inclination to run her like a battleship and maintain her like a private yacht.

On April 23, 1917, Blackford and the McDougal departed the Brooklyn Navy Yard for Queenstown, Ireland, as part of the first group of American destroyers sent to aid Great Britain during World War I. The planned wartime role of the McDougal and her sisters had long been scouting, patrolling, and torpedo attack. In the cold waters of the North Atlantic, the crew of the McDougal and the other American destroyers had to quickly learn their new role in modern warfare against the Kaiser’s deadly U-boats. Specifically the use of the depth charge and the intricacies of the convoy system

Blackford was almost killed early on the morning of February 4, 1918, when the McDougal, while escorting a convoy in the Irish Sea collided with the British merchantman Glenmorag. Asleep in his bunk in the after berthing compartment, Blackford was rudely awakened when the British ship sliced off the end of his rack along with most of the stern of the McDougal. So close was his brush with death that he had a smear on his shoulder where he had rubbed against the bow of the Glenmorag.

Sometime in September 1918 the author was transferred off the McDougal while she was operating out of Brest, France, to the USS Kennison (DD-138). This is just a small sample of the information about the McDougal and her crew found in the book Torpedoboat Sailor written by her former crewman Charles Minor Blackford.

This information from the Torpedoboat Sailor was shared by Sam Bono who is a Naval History Buff.

Seaman Frank J. Hanszczyk

Seaman Frank Joseph Hanszczyk

Frank Joseph Hanszczyk was a member of the crew of the McDougal during WWI. It is known by his great-grandson Eric Tutskey that Frank, who was a Seaman, was aboard the McDougal in September of 1918 when the McDougal dropped depth charges on a U-boat, and he was aboard the McDougal when she collided with the British merchantman Glenmorag on 4 February 1918.

Within days after America had entered the war in Europe Frank Joseph Hanszczyk in April of 1917 enlisted into the United States Navy at the Recruiting Station in Chicago. According to Hanszczyk’s discharge papers he was on Active Duty from April 9, 1917 through February 26, 1919. He was assigned to the Great Lakes Naval Training Station in Chicago and upon completion of Basic Training was assigned to the Receiving Ship at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and then on December 31 of 1917 was assigned to duty aboard the McDougal.

By summer 1918 Hanszczyk was at sea chasing German U-boats and providing convoy escort duty during the war aboard the USS McDougal from Mid July 1918 until early January1919. On January 8, 1919 the McDougal reached New York after being at sea and in England for over 21 months. It is likely that Seaman Hanszczyk was released from the McDougal at the time as he was discharged on February 26, 1919.

Frank Joseph Hanszczyk was born on July 20 of 1896 to John and Marcyanna Hanszczyk in Chicago, IL. John and Marcyanna were both German-Polish and born in Poland. They were married about 1880 and had one son Peter born in Poland. John Marcyanna and Peter then came to America about 1886 or 1887 and settled in the Polish community in Chicago.

In 1910 it took both John and Marcyanna working to support the large family they had living in the home on Holt Street in Chicago. John was working as a watchman in a local factory and Marcyanna was working on a farm. There were 4 sons and two daughters, the eldest was Peter born about 1886 in Poland and was working as a teamster; John was born about 1891 also working as a teamster; then Frank Joseph; Veronica born about 1898; another daughter named Tekla born about1901; and youngest son Anton born about 1903. All the children except Peter were born in Chicago.

After his discharge from the navy Hanszczyk returned back to Chicago. In April of 1930 Hanszczyk and his wife Julia were living in an apartment house located at 2437 Moffat Street in Chicago. Frank was then working as a chauffeur. The family consisted of Frank and Julia along with two adopted children, Elaine Shepler and Joseph Shepler ages nine and seven, and Frank and Julia’s son Francis who was born about December of 1927.

By 1941 the Hanszczyk ‘s had moved to 2447 N. Mozart Street in Chicago where Frank had been working at the Chicago Quartermaster Depot on Pershing Road, as a security guard. Frank Hanszczyk would live the rest of his life in Chicago and passed away on June 7, 1979 in Chicago.

Fireman 1st Class Robert Lester Kennedy

Written by Major Robert L. Martin, United States Army, who is the grandson of Robert L. Kennedy

Robert L. Kennedy was born in Boston, MA. He enlisted in the United States Navy on March 27, 1917, at Boston and had to lie about his age to join the Navy, listing his birthdate as February 26, 1895, when he was actually born in 1898.

Robert L. "Bob" Kennedy was a first generation American, whose grandfather was from Dublin, Ireland, and his father immigrated from Nova Scotia, becoming a U.S. citizen in 1896. His mother died when he was very young and he was raised by his father, Robert Kennedy, a woodworker, and his grandmother.

Once he joined the Navy he was rated a Fireman 3rd Class (F3c) and assigned to the battleship, U.S.S. Virginia from March until May of 1917. Kennedy was then transferred to the destroyer tender U.S.S. Melville for less than a month before his assignment to the U.S.S. McDougal in July of 1917. He joined the crew of the U.S.S. McDougal at Queenstown, Ireland, and remained on the McDougal for the remainder of World War I. On September 18, 1917, Kennedy was promoted to Fireman 2nd Class, and on January 1, 1918, F2c Kennedy was promoted to Fireman 1st Class. Fireman 1st Class Kennedy returned to New York aboard the McDougal on January 3, 1919. He remained on active-duty, assigned to the U.S.S. McDougal, until he was Honorably Discharged from the U.S. Navy on August 6, 1919, at the District Disbursing Office in Boston, Massachusetts. For his active-duty service he received the World War I Victory Medal, with Patrol Clasp, and the Navy Good Conduct Medal. He remained a member of the Naval Reserve between World War I and World War II (dates of Naval Reserve service and assignments are not recorded). It also appears that he was a member of the New York National Guard at some point in the 1920s or 30s, but the records are not clear as to service dates.

Between WWI and WWII, he worked as a Policeman and Fireman in Nyack, NY, and for the police department at Rockland State Hospital in Orangeburg, NY. He was working at Rockland State Hospital when he was recalled for WWII.

On July 27, 1942, Kennedy was recalled to active-duty from the Naval Reserve as a Petty Officer 1st Class/Boatswain's Mate (BM1c). His initial assignment was the U. S. Naval Training Station at Newport, Rhode Island. From July of 1942 until August of 1943, BM1c Kennedy served at the New York Naval Recruit Station, the Brooklyn Naval Hospital, and the Staten Island Section Base. On August 30, 1943, BM1c Kennedy was promoted to Chief Boatswain's Mate (BMC) and was transferred to the Naval Ammunition Depot at Iona Island, New York. He remained at that location until March 21, 1945, when he entered Naval Hospital Saint Albans, Queens, New York. Chief Kennedy was medically retired from the United States Navy on August 25, 1945 due to a bullet lodged near his spine. Additional awards for BMC Kennedy's World War II service include the Navy Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Medal, American Campaign Medal, Naval Reserve Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

Following WWII, he moved to Dade County, FL, where he ran his own charter fishing boat in Miami, Florida, and also raced greyhounds in Dade County, Fla. In 1950, he married Sudie "Sugar" Jane Martin and retired to Inverness, Florida. He lived in Inverness until his death at the Gainesville, FL, Veteran's Hospital on August 22, 1975. He was buried in the Pine Hill Cemetery in Corbin, Knox County, Kentucky.

Fireman 1Class Robert L. Kennedy during WWI shown wearing his Navy P-Coat.
Chief Boatswain's Mate Robert L. Kennedy during WWII. On his left sleeve can be seen two service stripes indicating 8-years of service in the navy.
Patrolman Robert Kennedy Badge No. 10 can be seen on his hat. Undated photo.
Kennedy driving the Nyack, NY police department's car during the 1920's
Patrolman Kennedy
Kennedy serving with the New York National Guard
U.S. Navy - circa 1942. Probably taken at Newport, R.I. after being recalled from the Naval Reserve for WWII.
Kennedy's Bronze grave marker located in the Pine Hill Cemetery, Corbin, KY

Harry D. McConnell Engineman 1st Class

Written by Bruce McConnell, fifth son of Harry D. McConnell

Engineman First Class
Harry D. McConnell

My father, Harry D. McConnell enlisted in the Navy in April 1917 and was discharged in January 1919.  He served his enlistment on the USS McDougal and experienced the historic events associated with his ship to include German submarine hunting and sinking, having shipmates put down a near-mutiny on a Russian ship and his ship being part of the flotilla escorting President Wilson.  Dad kept a journal noting the daily comings and goings of his ship and its encounters.  Typical of Dad, his writings are very matter of fact and not revealing of his thoughts about the experience.  There is one notable gap in his journal during the period when the McDougal was in dry dock for repairs after the February 1918 collision.  Dad and another sailor, Sawyer, shared a room ashore during this period and we suspect they were otherwise occupied!  Dad also used the journal book as a repository of important information.  There are addresses of fellow sailors and of homes in the countries where McDougal came into port.  Subsequent to the war the journal book was used to record home remedies for livestock ailments and recipes for meat cure and sausage.

Dad was in business after the First World War, in Dallas County, Iowa, with a man named Mahaffey raising registered Poland China hogs.  In the summer of 1924 scarlet fever occurred in the community and his wife, Mae Huston McConnell and daughter Clara were taken within the same month.  Dad was left with a two-week old infant, his son Howard.

In 1934 Dad and his siblings Horace and Mabel purchased a 400-acre stock farm in Guthrie County, Iowa, and after several years dad became sole owner.  He operated a dairy business, marketing the products in Redfield, Iowa.  In 1937 he married his second wife, Miss Irene Shelley.  They lived together on the farm until his retirement in about 1957 when they sold the farm and moved to Runnells, Iowa.  His children from the second marriage are Richard, Leslie, Harold, Bruce, Carol, Nancy and Rebecca.

Dad lived a life of integrity and quiet strength, always faithful to his Christian beliefs and his family.  He enjoyed playing baseball and was proud to have played first base on a team with future Cleveland Indians star pitcher Bob Feller.  Although retired in 1957, Dad continued to work as opportunities arose helping local farmers in the Runnells Iowa area.  He passed away March 14, 1976.

The picture of Dad is copied from a post card from the Brooklyn Navy Yard in New York and sent to his future first wife, Mae Huston in April 1917.  His journal is transcribed in the paragraphs below.

April 1917

Wed 4: Passed physical exam for US Navy.

Fri 6:  Was sworn into the service and left for Brooklyn Navy yard at 9:00 PM in the company of F. F. Sherman for electrician.

Sun 8: Arrived at navy yard at 7:00 PM.  Was sent to receiving ship New Jersey.

Mon 9:  Drew bag and hammock.

Wed 11: Drew part of clothing, on general detail on New Jersey.

Mon 16:  Was transferred to USS Maine on general detail.

Fri 20: Was transferred to USS McDougal.   Drew rest of bag of clothes from USS Illinois and was assigned as mess cook.

Mon 23:  Left Brooklyn Navy Yard at 8:30 AM.  Arrived in Boston at 11 PM.

Tues 24:  Left Boston under sealed orders.

May 1917

Fri 4:  Arrived in Queenstown Ireland after a very rough trip.  Was sea-sick six out of ten days.

Tues 8: Left Queenstown on patrol.

Wed 9:  Had general quarters several times yesterday and this morning.  Were fired at by subs, one torpedo coming very close.  We lost one torpedo accidentally.

Thurs 10:  Convoying tramp steamer.

Sat 12:  Arrived in Berehaven at 10:00 AM.

Sun 13:  Was put on sick list today on account of an abscess under my left arm caused by small-pox vaccination.

Mon14:  Left Berehaven on patrol at 10:00 AM.

Tues 15:  Sighted Sub at 6:30 AM. Was too far away to fire at.

Sat 19:  Convoying a tramp of 10,000 tons loaded with explosives bound for Glasgow.  Sighted a small boat with a phony mast.  We opened fire on it believing it to be a decoy.  A British sloop heard the firing and came up behind us and sighted a sub.  It submerged.  The sloop ran over the spot and dropped a depth charge and sank it.

Sun 20:  Arrived in Queenstown last eve at 10:00 PM.  We ran in from Tusca light in three hours making 31 1/2 knots.  Went to ball game in Queenstown between McDougal and Wadsworth score McDougal 8, Wadsworth 3.

Tues 22:  Left Queenstown on patrol.  Picked up liner St. Louis and convoyed her to next patrol.

Sat 26:  Arrived in Queenstown at 6 P.M. after a very rough trip. 

June 1917

Fri1:  Left Queenstown on Patrol.

Mon 4:  Convoying two ships.

Tues 5:  Picked up Manchester Miller.  Ship was torpedoed at 2:30 PM.  Torpedo struck in fire room just as watch was being relieved.  Eight men were killed.  Thirty-two escaped in lifeboats.  We circled around her for two hours and then took survivors on board.  The steamer was then taken in tow by an English sloop.  She sank at 8:34 PM.  Her cargo consisted of powder and grain.

Wed 6:  Arrived in Berehaven.  Oiled ship and took on supplies.

Sat 9:  Left Berehaven at 8:30 A.M. on special duty to convoy hospital ship Wanadilla.

Mon 11:  Picked up Wanadilla off coast of France.  Many subs reported in vicinity.

Tues 12:  Brought ship to her destination.  Passed entrance to Queenstown harbor this eve.  We were all ordered on deck with life preservers on account of mines.  Saw a mine blown up about five miles off starboard bow.  Passed English Q-boat at 8:30 P.M. She had been fired at by sub.  She returned fire and claimed to have sunk her.

Wed 13:  Arrived in Queenstown.  Saw two ships that had been torpedoed, one on the beach and one in the mouth of the harbor.

Thurs 14:  McDougal beaten in ball game 14 to 4.

Fri 15:  McDougal beaten by Porter.

Sat 16:  Left Queenstown on patrol.  Picked up steamer that had been torpedoed but not sunk.  Convoyed her to Queenstown.

Sun 17:  Arrived in Queenstown at 9 A.M.  Took oil and left at 2 P.M.

Thurs 21:  Arrived in Berehaven at 8 A.M.  Played against Jarvis.  Were beaten 10 to 1 in six innings.  I played 4 innings went to bat once and got 1 hit.

Sat 23:  Left Berehaven to meet convoy.

Mon 25:  Met convoy at 8:30 A.M.  Convoy consisted of U.S.S. Charleston, One collier, one coal ship and three transports with U.S. soldiers.  Destroyers were Jarvis, Nicholson, Benham, Davis, and McDougal.

Thurs 28:  Arrived at St. Nazaire with convoy and left for Queenstown

Fri 29:  Arrived in Queenstown at 1 P.M.  Went ashore

Sat 30:  Was taken off the mess and turned too in Engine Room.

July 1917

Sun 1:  Had 4 of July dinner.  Went ashore at 1 P.M.  Went to Cork and attended Presbyterian Church.

Mon 2:  Left Queenstown on patrol.

Tues 3:  Picked up ship.

Thurs 5:  Convoying White Star liner Celtic.

Sat 7:  Arrived in Berehaven.  Played Davis, beaten 8 to 4.

Sun 8:  Went ashore.  Beaten by Dixie 13 to 9.

Wed 11:  Left Berehaven at 9 A. M.

Sat 14:  Arrived in Queenstown at 9:30 P. M.  Oiled ship at once.

Sun 15:  No turn to today.

Thurs 19:  Left Queenstown at noon on patrol.

Fri 20:  Convoying Red Star liner New Zealand.

Sun 22:  Convoying two White Star liners, one of them, the Belgic on her Maiden trip.

Tues 24:  Arrived in Berehaven at 8 A. M. Oiled ship.

Fri 27:  Left Berehaven on special duty at 5 A. M.

11P. M. Picked up 22 survivors off British tramp.  Were in two lifeboats.  Two men went down with ship.

Sat 28:  Noon:  Picked up convoy consisting of 17 British tramps making 6 1/2 knots.  Were joined during afternoon by seven other U.S. Destroyers.

Mon 30:  One oil tanker left for Queenstown with Wadsworth.  Five tramps left for France with British destroyers.  French hydroplane flying over us this A.M.

Tues 31:  Took convoy into Milhaven South Wales at 11:30 A.M.  Arrived in Queenstown at 5 P.M.

August 1917

Thurs 2:  Went to Cork and took jaunting car to Blarney castle.

Sat 4:  Left Queenstown at 9 P.M. to meet convoy.

Sun 5:  Received word convoy was late.  Were ordered into Berehaven.

Mon 6:  Arrived in Berehaven at 8 A.M.  Left at 6:30 P.M.

Tues 7:  Picked up convoy at 11 A.M. consisting of 16 ships.

Thurs 9:  Left convoy at 3:30 P.M.  Arrived in Queenstown at 10:30 P.M.

Mon 13:  Left Queenstown on patrol.

Thurs 16:  Left Queenstown at 2:30 bound for Liverpool to go into dry-dock for repairs.

Fri 17:  Arrived in Liverpool at 12 N.  Boilermakers were on a strike.  Left at 5:30 PM for Chatham.

Sun 19:  Arrived at Sherness and unloaded all ammunition.

Mon 20:  Left for Chatham at 10 AM arrived at noon.

Tues 21:  First furlough party left

Wed 22:  Went into dry dock.

Sat 25:  Left for London on four-day furlough.

Tues 28:  Came aboard ship at 6 P.M.

Fri 31:  Left for Queenstown

September 1917

Sat 1:  Arrived in Queenstown at 5:30 P.M. Oiled ship

Sun 2:  Left Queenstown at 4:30 A.M. with convoy.

Sat 8:  Sighted sub at 1:30 A.M.  Dropped two depth charges and sank her.  Arrived in Queenstown at 8:30.  No liberty on account of Sinn Fein riots.

Tues 11:  Left Queenstown with convoy.

Fri 14:  Picked up another convoy of 25 ships bound for France.

Sun 16:  Were relieved of convoy.

Mon 17:  Arrived in Queenstown at 8 A.M.

Wed 19:  Was rated F1C.

Sat 22:  Left Queenstown on patrol.

Tues 25:  Narrowly escaped being rammed by tramp.  She missed us about 5 feet.

Thurs 27:  Arrived in Queenstown at 8 A.M.

Sat 29:  Wire brushed stacks and uptakes

October 1917

Tues 2:  Captains inspection of ship and crew

Thurs 4:  Left Queenstown with convoy at 4:30 A.M.

Sat 6:  Left convoy

Sun 7:  Picked up convoy of 26 ships

Wed 10:  Left convoy at St. Nazaire, France at 3 P.M.

Thurs 11:  Arrived in Queenstown at N.

Mon 15:  Was put in 4th section Johnson water tender.

Tues 16:  Left Queenstown with four ships.

Mon 15:  Cassin torpedoed by sub.  One gunners mate killed five men injured.

Thurs 18:  Left convoy and picked up another of 23 ships.

Fri 19:  Subs reported in vicinity.  Lit off other two boilers.  One of convoy a converted cruiser was torpedoed at 6 P.M. and sank later in the night.

Sat 20:  Thought we saw the wake of a sub.  Dropped depth charges but it proved to be the wake of a porpoise.

 Sun 21:  Arrived in Queenstown at 1 P.M.  Oiled ship.

Sun 28:  Left Queenstown to convoy troop ships.

November 1917

Thurs 1:  Arrived in Queenstown.

Mon 5:  Left Queenstown.  Picked up six ships and took them out to sea.  Picked up another convoy of 25 ships off Gibraltar and took them to Brest France.

Mon 12:  Arrived in Queenstown.

Wed 14:  Was put in Engine room gang and moved aft.

Thurs 15:  Left Queenstown with 2 ships taking them to Tusca light.

Fri 16:  Arrived in Queenstown at 8:30 P.M.

Mon 19:  Was put back in fire-room and moved forward.  Left Queenstown.

Fri 23:  Picked up two U.S. transports and U.S.S. San Diego.

Mon 26:  Arrived at St. Nazaire, France and left for Brest to take oil

Tues 27:  Went ashore in Brest at 8:30 A.M. liberty up at N.

Wed 28:  Left Brest at 4 P.M. with two American liners bound for Southampton Eng.  Ships made 20 knots.

Thurs 29: Arrived in Southampton at 11:30 A.M.

Fri 30:  Arrived in Queenstown at 8 A.M.  Oiled ship and tied up alongside Melville at 9:30 P.M.

December 1917

 Wed 5:  Left Queenstown

Fri 7:  Picked up ships consisting of four transports U.S and two other ships, one of them a cruiser.

Mon 10:  Arrived at St. Nazaire 10:30 A.M.  U.S.S Jacob Jones was sunk in Irish Sea by sub.  Seventy-two lives were lost.

Tues 11:  Arrived in Queenstown at 9:30 A.M.

Fri 14:  Left Queenstown to patrol place where Jacob Jones was sunk.  Were caught in worst storm in years.  Two ribs in the bow were sprung and the paint locker filled with water.  Parker lost foremast and Nicholson’s chart house carried away.

Mon 17:  Arrived in Queenstown at N.  Oiled ship and pumped out paint locker.

Tues 18:  Left Queenstown.

Sat 22: Picked up Leviathan.  Sea was so rough we couldn’t keep up with her.

Sun 23:  Sea calmed down.  We lit off four Cans Made 30 knots and caught Leviathan.  Arrived in Liverpool Sun eve.  Laid too outside harbor until Mon morning.

Mon 24:  Arrived in Queenstown.

Xmas day:  Oiled ship

Thurs 27:  U.S.S Santee.  U.S boat on her first trip was torpedoed off Kinsdale.  Liberty party was recalled and we were sent out.

Fri 28:  Were fired at by sub.  Torpedo crossed our bow about 150 yards ahead.

Sat 29:  Saw wake of a sub at 10:45 A.M. Ran over spot and dropped depth charge. Doubled back over the spot and saw oil on surface.  Dropped another depth charge and great deal of oil came to the surface.  Gunter a seaman was washed against the charthouse by a heavy sea.  His collarbone was broken, two ribs cracked and one leg broken.  Put into port and left him on Melville.  Went out again on patrol.

Sun 30:  Arrived in Queenstown.  Oiled ship

January 1918

Wed 2:  Under way with three oil tankers.

Fri 4:  Left oil tankers.  Picked up 19 ships.

Mon 7:  Part of convoy left for English ports.

Wed 9:  Left convoy at Brest.  Arrived in Queenstown in evening.  Oiled ship and left to convoy Philadelphia from Liverpool.

Mon 14:  Arrived in Queenstown at 8 A.M.  Left at 5 P.M. for repair period at Liverpool.

Tues 15:  Arrived in Liverpool at 2 P.M.  Left ship with furlough party at 4 P.M.  Took 4:35 train to London.  Arrived at 11 P.M.  Stayed at Eagle Hut (American Y.M.C.A).

Sat 19:  Left London at 7:45 P.M.

Jan 20:  Arrived on ship at 8 A.M.  In dry-dock in Birkenhead navy yard.

Sun 27:  Left dry dock Oiled ship at Seacomb and left with convoy.  Was put in engine room force.

Jan 30:  Arrived in Queenstown at 8 A.M.

Thurs 31:  Went ashore

February 1918

Fri 1:  No liberty on account of storm, which made it too rough in harbor to run liberty boats.

Sat 2:  Under way to Liverpool to take convoy of four transports loaded with Canadian soldiers.

Mon 4:  McDougal was rammed by an unknown steamer at 4:02 P.M. off Tusca light about 15 miles.  I had just come off watch and was on deck.  Our stern was cut off up to the after guns.  Men in the after compartments narrowly escaped.  They lost all their clothing.  Our rudder was carried away and we could only turn over the starboard propeller.  The Paulding stayed with us. A yacht took us in tow at 3 P.M.

Tues 5:  Sub sighted by one of the destroyers convoying us.  She dropped depth charges at 11:45 A.M.  I was on watch in Auxiliary room at the time.  Arrived at Liverpool at 7:30 P.M.  Anchored in Mersey River.

Wed 6:  Went into basin in Birkenhead Navy Yard at 6 A.M.

Fri 8:  Went ashore in Liverpool.

Sun 10:  Went ashore at 1 P.M. spent afternoon in Y.M.C.A

Mon 11:  Went ashore at 1 P.M. to get prescription filled.  Bought pair of dress trousers for 1 (pound).  Threatened mutiny on two Russian ships, the Rassvet and Probet at anchor in Mersey River.  The captain called for aid and seven men with gats and one machine gun under command of Ensign Shiel together with a squad of marines off the Shannon and some English soldiers were sent over.  They arrived barely in time to stop the mutiny.  No shots were fired.  The crew of one ship and all except ten of the other were taken prisoners.  Are chipping paint and work in the engine room.

Sat 16:  Went into dry dock.

Sun 17:  I went ashore with Sawyer. We went to church at 11 A.M. and 6:30 P.M.

Tues 14:  Took examination for Engineman 2C.

Fri 23:  Helped to carry stores from Ericsson and Duncan.

Sun 24:  Went to Presbyterian Church.

Wed 27:  H.M.S. Burke torpedo boat destroyer launched at 10:30 A.M.

March 1918

Fri 1:  Was rated Engineman 2C.

Sat 2:  Captain’s inspection of ship and crew.

Tues 5:  Raised starboard high pressure turbine and lowered it again.

Wed 6:  Raised starboard backing turbine and lowered it again.

Sun 10:  Sawyer and myself were invited to the home of Mr. [sp] to spend the evening.

Mon 11:  Engaged a room at Miss Chuch’s 32 Falkner Square Liverpool rent 1Q/week.

Sun 17:  Went out to Bideston Hill, Berkenhead in the afternoon and to church in the eve.

Wed 20:  Moved into rooms.

Sat 23:  Captain’s inspection of ship and crew.

Tues 26:  Captain’s inspection of ship and crew. Captain Conn left and Captain Coman took charge.

Sat 30:  Captain’s inspection of ship.

April, May June 1918  In drydock at Berkenhead

July 1918

Mon 15:  Dock trial in wet basin Satisfactory

Wed 17:  Trial run – made 26:6 knots for short time.  Leaky joints in turbine casings.  Fixed up in wet basin.

Thurs 18:  Left wet basin at 8:30 P.M. Tied up at Woodside

Fri 19:  Under way with convoy with convoy at 8:30 P.M.

Sun 21:  Left convoy, Arrived in Queenstown at 12:30 P.M.

Mon 22:  Left Queenstown at 8:30 A.M.  Arrived in Brest at 10:15 P.M.

Wed 24:  Left Brest with convoy at 6:30 P.M.

Sat 27:  Left convoy

Sun 28:  Picked up convoy of 12 troop ships.

Tues 30:  Arrived in Brest at 5 P.M.

August 1918

Thurs 1:  Under way at 7 P.M. with convoy

Sun 4:  Left convoy picked up 7 troop ships

Tues 6:  Arrived in Brest at 5 P.M.

Wed 7:  Left Brest at 6 P.M.

Thurs 8:  Received S.O.S. from U.S. ship at 6 A.M.  Made 25 knots and found her at 1 P.M.  Sighted periscope and dropped 11 depth charges.  Fanning and Roe also dropped depth charges.  Name of ship is Westward-ho, new standardized ship of 5,000 Tons.  Two U.S. tugs came out from Brest and towed her safely in.  One French cruiser and three other ships from the same convoy were sunk.

Fri 9:  Roe came alongside at 3:30 and took 15000 gal of oil.

Sat 10:  Met eight troop ships and U.S.S Charleston at 10:00 A.M.

Sun 11:  General Quarters at 9:00 A.M.  Conner and Fanning dropped depth charges.  General Quarters at 2:33 P.M. sub on starboard side of convoy.  3:15 sub on port side.  No torpedoes fired several depth charges dropped but no more signs of sub.  4:05 P.M. General Quarters sub reported.

Mon 12:  Arrived in Brest at 9:00 A.M.

Tues 13:  Under way at 5:30 P.M. with Leviathan, Great Northern and Northern Pacific.

Wed 14:  Left convoy at 10:00 P.M.  Went back and met another convoy going out from Brest.

Thurs 15:  Left ships at 9 P.M.

Fri 16:  Met troop ships and Cruiser Pueblo at 8:30 A.M.

Sun 18:  Arrived in Brest at 3 P.M.  Went out to mouth of harbor and had target practice.  Secured at 7:30 P.M.

Wed 21:  Underway at 6:00 A.M.

Thurs 22:  Met 15 merchant ships at 10:30 A.M.  Gave them orders and stayed with them until eve.

Fri 23:  Met 6 troop ships at 12 N.

Sun 25:  Arrived in Brest at 9:30 P.M.

Fri 30:  Underway at 6:30 P.M. with two merchant ships.

September 1918

Sun 1:  Left ships at dark.

Mon 2:  Met Mt. Vernon, La France and Agamemnon with troops.

Tues 3:  Arrived in Brest at 11:00 A.M.

Wed 4:  Left Brest at 6:00 P.M. with Mt. Vernon and Agamemnon

Thurs 5:  Mt. Vernon torpedoed at 7:45 A.M. thirty-seven men killed.  She went back to Brest on her own steam convoyed by three destroyers.  We went on with Agamemnon. Left her at dark.

Fri 6:  Met Leviathan, Northern Pacific and Great Northern at 10:00 A.M.  Heavy seas running and only able to make 13 knots.  Speeded up to 19 at 2:00 P.M.

Sat 7:  Arrived in Brest at 6:30 P.M.

Thurs 12:  Underway at 6:00 P.M. with Leviathan, Great Northern and Northern Pacific.

Sat 14:  Arrived in Brest at 8:30 P.M.

Fri 20:  Left Brest at 9:00 A.M.  Arrived at St. Nazaire at 4:30 P.M.  Underway at 6:00 P.M. with convoy of three ships.

Sun 22:  Left convoy at 9:00 A.M.

Mon 23:  Met Von Steuben and Louisville at 9:00 A.M.

Tues 24:  Arrived in Brest at 5:30 P.M.

Thurs 26:  Under way at 7:00 P.M. with oil tanker

Fri 27:  Left oil tanker at 12:00 Midnight.

Sat 28:  Met convoy of 22 merchant ships at 7:00 A.M.  Convoy separated at 5:00 P.M.  Part of convoy going to English port.

Sun 29:  Arrived in Brest at 11:30 A.M.

October 1918

Fri 4:  Underway at 12:00 noon with 2 transports

Sun 6:  Met Leviathan at 10:00 A.M.

Mon 7:  Arrived in Brest at 10:30 A.M.

Wed 9:  Under way at 4;00 P.M. with Leviathan

Thurs 10:  Left Leviathan at 7:30 P.M.

Fri 11:  Met 6 transports

Sun 13:  Arrived in Brest at 10:00 A.M.

Wed 16 Under way with 5 transports at 2:30 P.M.

Thurs 17:  Left ships at 7:30 P.M.

Fri 18:  Met 7 transports at 3:00 P.M.

Sat 19:  6:45 A.M. Sub came up on starboard bow.  Shot depth charges from deckhouse.  Charge landed very near sub.  Dropped 16 more depth charges around the first one.  Are sure we sank her.  We saved some of the convoy at least.

Sun 20:  Arrived in Brest at 10:30 A.M.

Tues 22:  Under way at 5:30 P.M.

Thurs 24:  Met Great Northern at 6:20 P.M.

Sun 27:  Arrived in Brest at 9:30 A.M.

Mon 28:  Was examined in morning till noon for 1st Class Engineman

Tues 29:  Was examined on mechanical part

Thurs 31:  Called up for further exam and rated Eng 1st C.

November 1918

Tues 5:  Under way at 5:00 P.M. to meet troop ships.

Sat 9:  Arrived in Brest with 7 ships.  22 more came in today, all troop ships.

Sun 10:  Under way at 3:30 P.M.

Tues 12:  Met convoy of 35 merchant ships

Wed 13:  Stripped blades in second expansion of high-pressure turbine.  Came in to Brest on port eng.

Thurs 14:  Arrived in Brest at 2:00 P.M.

Mon 25:  Completed work of raising casings and rotor and cutting out eleven rows of damaged blades.  Left Brest at 7:30 A.M. with Empress of Asia and Empress of Russia.

Tues 26:  Arrived at Liverpool light ship at 7:00 A.M.  Turned back to Brest.

Wed 27:  Arrived in Brest at 8:00 A.M.

Fri 29:  Was granted seven days leave to Paris.  Went over to bridge first and drew pay on special requisition.

December 1918

Mon 2:  Left Brest for seven days furlough in Paris.  Arrived in Paris at 7:30 P.M.

Sun 8:  Left Paris at 7:30 A.M.  Arrived in Brest at 9:30 P.M.

Thurs 12:  Under way at 2:30 P.M. to meet the George Washington with President Wilson on board.

Fri 13:  Met George Washington at 8:30 A.M.  Ten Battleships, forty-two destroyers three areoplanes and one Zeppelin in escort.  Arrived in Brest at 1:30 P.M.

Mon 16:  Under way at 10:00 A.M. bound for the states via Azores with the Tucker, Drayton, Burroughs, Cummings and the Yacht Isabel.

Thurs 19:  Arrived off Ponta del Garda at 10:30 A.M.  Tied up alongside oil Collier at 1:00 P.M.  Liberty at 4 O’clock

Fri 20:  All hands restricted to the ship on account of someone breaking into the ice box and stealing some fruit and butter.  Petty Officers Mess chipped in and bought two turkeys for dinner Sun.

Sun 22:  Under way for Bermuda at 12:30

Fri 27:  Sighted an abandoned Nova Scotia fishing ship, which had been shelled by German Sub.

Sun 29:  Arrived in Bermuda at 10:30 A.M.

Tues 31:  Left Bermuda at 2 P.M.

January 1919

Thurs 2:  Arrived in N.Y at 2:30 P.M.  Ordered to get under way at once and take some acetylene tanks and one machinist mate to Northern Pacific grounded on Fire Island

Fri 3:  Arrived in Brooklyn Navy Yard at 6:30 A.M.

Sat 4:  Put in application for discharge

Mon 27:  Discharged

This page is owned by Joe Hartwell © 2012-2018

If you have research comments or additional information on this page E-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

This page was created on 23 February, 2004 and last modified on: October 2, 2018

[ Return back to the Site Map] [ Return to the Main Ship's Histories Page ]