Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind



King’s Chapel Baptist Church was the first name of the church now known as Olin Baptist Church. King’s Chapel was located northeast of Olin, about thirteen miles north of Hamilton, near what is now County Road 239. The community was later called Dry Fork.  

Organized in 1878 by Presley O’Keefe, W. J. Hicks, Shelby King, and A. A. Hensley, this church was first called King’s Chapel Baptist Church and later Dry Fork Baptist Church when it was located in the Dry Fork community before changing its name to Pleasant Hill. Macedonia Baptist Church formed by 1885 changed its name to Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in 1890. Pleasant Hill Baptist Church was admitted to the Hamilton County Baptist Association on 14 August, 1891. The last year Pleasant Hill Baptist Church submitted a letter to Hamilton County Baptist Association was 1898. On 12 August, 1899, Pleasant Hill Baptist Church purchased one acre of land at a cost of $100 out of the P. A. Sublet Survey from Mr. and Mrs. Erastus Kimber Ridenhower at Crossroads . The Pleasant Hill Church was moved to the new site at Crossroads (current location of Olin Baptist Church) and changed its name in 1900 to Olin Baptist Church.


Home ] Up ]

People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress