|Home||Censuses||Parish Registers||Site Map|
The stone church of St Michael and All Angels (originally just St Michael) is a traditional Early English church which was restored about 1901 under the auspices of the distinguished architect T. Micklethwaite. It consists of an early 12C Nave, early 13C Tower and Chancel, two side chapels, a porch and a peal of six bells restored in 1995/6.
The Tower was restored in 1951. The walls, which are two metres thick at the base, are supported by ten buttresses. The mechanism for the one-handed clock dates from 1725 and is powered by two large stone weights.
The 13C Plowden Chapel on the north side was built, and is still owned by the Plowden family (Roman Catholic).
The Walcot Chapel on the south side was built in the late 17C and was converted into a side chapel in 1976. The carved stone heads of Queen Victoria and King Edward VII were added to the entrance archway when the Chapel was restored in 1901. In 1662, John Shipman, "an old servant of the house of Walcot", left money to build a school room over the Walcot Chapel and this was used as the Parish School until 1843 when the present school was built.
On the north wall of the Nave is a First World War memorial plaque. The Parish War Record Book shows that 150 parishioners served in the First World War.
The wooden candlesticks above the altar were given to the church by Archbishop Laud in 17C. The lectern was presented to the church by the Countess of Powis in 1897 and the candlesticks on the altar were a gift from the Earl of Powis in 1910.
The church is situated in the Hundred of Purslow, Clun Rural Deanery, South Salop Archdeaconry, Diocese of Hereford.
|Plowden Chapel||Walcot Chapel||Memorial to Hester Bright (d.1790)|
Thanks to the Lydbury North PCC for permission to use extracts and pictures from their leaflet "Welcome to St Michael and All Angels, Lydbury North"
For details of forthcoming events and Services see the church website
The living was a vicarage, with the chapelry of Norbury annexed, including dwelling and 1 acre of glebe land (worth £486 p.a. in 1863, and £565 in 1877). Norbury is now a separate parish.
|James Atcherley||1791||1800 resigned|
|John Bright Betton1||1800||1805|
|John Bright Bright1||1805||1833|
|Edward Augustus Bright||1878||1881|
* These dates show the earliest and latest records of the individual officiating at a ceremony (which could have been as a curate, for example)
1 John Bright BETTON assumed the name John Bright BRIGHT by royal licence 12 Oct 1807. He died 22 Dec 1833.
|Robert Cuthbert Hesketh||1799||1800 resigned|
|John Meredith Williams||1836||1837|
|John T Hughes||1865||1865|
|1747||Robert Norton||John Maund|
|1748||Thomas Hotchkiss||Thomas Richards|
|1749||Samuel Hotchkiss||Samuel Evans|
|1750||Robert Norton||Richard Evans|
|1751||William Hay||John Matthews|
|1752||Samuel Hotchkiss||Edward Hotchkiss|
|1753||Thomas Bird||Thomas Evans|
|1754||Samuel Hotchkiss||John Harding|
|1755||Thomas Norncot||William Watts|
|1756||Robert Norton||Samuel Bright|
|1757||John Matthews||James Williams|
|1758||John Everald||Francis Collins|
|1759||Thomas Crosland?||John Watts|
|1760||James Williams||William Cartwright|
|1761||James Williams||William Bluck|
|1762||Edward Bright||Thomas Hankins|
|1763||Edward Bright||Edward Wainright|
|1764||Edward Bright||William Palfrey|
|1765||Samuel Bright||Thomas Harding|
|1766||Thomas Corston||Nathaniel Poston|
|1767||William Watts||Humphrey Turner|
|1768||John Harris||Thomas Gwilt|
|1769||John Norton||Howell Owens|
|1770||Edward Bright||Francis Collings|
|1771||Humphrey Turner||Edward Hammonds|
|1772||William Ward||William Rawlings|
|1773||William Bluck||Edward Bright|
|1774||Thomas Norncot||Francis Buckley|
|1775||Humphrey Turner||Robert Philips|
|1776||Edward Bright||Thomas Collins|
|1777||John Harris||John Watts|
|1778||John Norncot||Edward Prichard|
|1779||John Watts||Evan Davies|
|1780||Edward Harris||Francis Norwood|
|1781||Thomas Robinson||Edward Price|
|1782||Thomas Robinson||Francis Collins|
|1783||Edward Bright||Edward Bright jnr|
|1784||Edward Bright jnr||John Beddoes|
|1785||Edward Davies||Thomas Sayce|
|1786||Joseph Smallman||Thomas Jones|
|1787||Humphrey Turner||Thomas Wainwright|
|1788||Thomas Collins||William Plowden|
|1789||John Gwilliam||Thomas Pugh|
|1799||Edward Bright jnr||Thomas Turner|
|1800||Francis Southern||George Starr|
|1802||William Jervis||John Morris|
|1803||George Farmer||John Morris, John Langford|
|1804||George Farmer||Thomas Hammonds|
The well tended cemetery around the church contains over five hundred grave markers spanning the period from 1667 to the present day. The oldest legible headstone being that of John RANSFORD who died 2nd December 1667.
This site includes transcripts of the pre-1950 Monumental Inscriptions.
© Mark George, 2007
|Home||Censuses||Parish Registers||Site Map|