HMS Cumberland

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Cumberland, 1774
Type: 3rd rate ; Armament 74
Launched : 1774 ; Disposal date or year : 1805

1780 St Vincent.

14 Jul 1793 departed with the Channel fleet from St. Helen's. On the 18th to the west of the Scilly Isles and subsequent manoeuvres.

31 Jul 1793 briefly sighted, but was unable to close the French fleet ; returned to Torbay on 10 Aug.

23 Aug 1793 the Channel Fleet departed to escort the Newfoundland trade, West Indian convoys in home waters.

27 Oct 1793 departed in search of the French fleet and squadrons. 18 Nov brief skirmish with a French squadron : by mid-December the fleet had returned to Spithead.

14 Jun 1795 the British fleet, then off Minorca, joined by a squadron from Gibraltar and England, including the Cumberland, Captain Barth. Samuel Rowley.

8 Jul 1795, the fleet, at anchor at in San-Fiorenzo bay, once aware that the French fleet was close by, gave chase. It was sighted on the 13th and later the order was given for the general chase, but apart from the loss of a 74 by the French the result was inconclusive and resulted in not a little criticism, the consequence perhaps being Admiral Hotham's resignation on 1 Nov 1795.

6 Aug 1795, Admiral Hotham put to sea on a cruise, sighting the French fleet in Toulon road.

5 Oct 1795, a squadron under Rear-admiral Mann, including the Cumberland, departed from San-Fiorenzo in pursuit of a French squadron returning from Toulon to Brest ; but too late !

Circa 9 Nov 1799 went out of Portsmouth harbour to Spithead, and departs shortly to join the Channel Fleet under Lord Bridport.

24 Apr 1800 Torbay, the Channel Fleet, under the command of Sir Alan Gardner, departed, viz. Ville de Paris, Barfleur, Glory, London, Neptune, St George, Temeraire, Windsor Castle, Ajax, Achilles, Cumberland, Canada, Captain, Centaur, Defence, Defiance, Elephant, Excellent, Hector, Impetueux, Marlborough, Ramilies, Resolution, Robust, Russel, Saturn, Superb, Terrible, Venerable, Warrior, Sheerness, Amelia, Sea Horse, Thames, and Havick.

11 May 1800 Plymouth, arrived from off Brest, to refit.

3 Aug 1800 Plymouth, arrived from the Channel fleet with the Mars.

6 Oct 1800 Portsmouth, arrived from the Downs.

27 Oct 1800 Portsmouth a Court-Martial was held on board the Gladiator for the trial of John Brown, a private marine belonging to the Cumberland for writing a disrespectful letter reflecting on the conduct of Captain Gardiner, of the Marines, and Captain Growes, and on William Dean, and Thomas Taylor, private marines, for abetting and advising the said John Brown in his libellous and seditious conduct, and for endeavouring to propagate the same disrespectful spirit amongst the ship's company. The charges being proved against the prisoners, Brown was sentenced to receive 100 lashes, and the two others 50 lashes each.

21 Nov 1800 Portsmouth, departed with the Juste, to join the Channel Fleet.

5 Feb 1801 sent into Falmouth the Danish dogger Stadt Altona, De Boo, master, from St Martin's, bound to Altona, laden with hides.

11 Feb 1801 the squadron described below parted company with the Channel Fleet, and stood to the S.W., with a fresh wind from the Eastward, with a view to tracking down Contre-amiral Ganteaume's squadron, which due, apparently to intelligence errors at the Admiralty, sent R.-Adm. Calder to the West Indies, which turned out to be a wild goose chase, Ganteaume being in the Mediterranean. The Squadron consisted of : the Prince of Wales, 98, R.-Adm. Sir R. Calder ; Pompée, 80 ; Juste, Spencer, Courageux, Montague, Cumberland, 74s ; Thames, and Magicienne, frigates ; Telegraph, brig.

13 Feb 1801 made Cape Ortegal ; captured and destroyed a Spanish brig, laden with wine.

15 Feb 1801 experienced an exceedingly violent storm, in which the Montague lost her main mast, and the Magicienne, and Telegraph, were separated from the squadron. The Montague rigged jury masts and made her way to the Tagus.

16 Feb 1801 before the Port of Ferrol.

18 Feb 1801 the remainder of the squadron assemble under Cape Finisterre, and proceed to the Southward.

19 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales was reported to be off Lisbon with La Juste, Pompee, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, ships of the line, along with the frigates Diamond and Thames by the packet arriving from Falmouth.

19 Feb 1801 brought to off Lisbon ; saw the Montague at anchor there, under jury masts.

21 Feb 1801 proceeded to the Southward ; and the squadron was joined by the frigate Diamond.

22 Feb 1801 made Cape St Vincent ; no intelligence.

23 Feb 1801 stood to the S.W.

25 Feb 1801 detached the Thames towards Madeira.

26 Feb 1801 fell in with the outward-bound West India fleet, under convoy of the Topaze, frigate, and a sloop of war.

26 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales, Adm. Sir R. Calder, with the Pompée, 80 ; La Juste, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, 74 ; and the frigates Diamond and Thames, 38, reported to be at Madeira, and did not anchor, but departed the following day for the Canaries, en route for Martinique.

27 Feb 1801 the squadron and convoy arrive at Madeira. The convoy anchor. Received here a few bullocks and some wine for the use of the squadron. Also, received some vague information of the enemy's squadron being at Teneriffe.

28 Feb 1801 set all sail towards Teneriffe.

1 Mar 1801 saw Teneriffe ; prepared the ships for battle and anchorage.

2 Mar 1801 the squadron plying to windward towards the Bay of Teneriffe, where a few small vessels only were found under the batteries.

3 Mar 1801 stood over to the Grand Canary.

4 Mar 1801 captured a Spanish brig laden with wheat.

5 Mar 1801 detached the Diamond to the Eastward, and prize with her.

6 Mar 1801 bore up to the West Indies.

19 Mar 1801 detached the Thames towards Barbadoes.

25 Mar 1801 brought to off Bridgetown, Barbadoes, without seeing one strange sail the whole outward passage. Called out the Thames per signal, and proceeded with the Squadron to the Northward.

26 Mar 1801 arrived and anchored in Cassa Navire Bay, Martinico.

29 Mar 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, wood and water. Weighed.

30 Mar 1801 before Dominique.

31 Mar 1801 before Montserrat.

1 Apr 1801 brought to before the Swedish Island of St Bartholomew. Saw the British flag flying on the garrison. The same at St Martin's.

2 Apr 1801 saluted R,-Adm. Duckworth, before the Danish town of Christianstadt, Santa Cruz, which with the Island of St Thomas, had been taken possession of a few days before, by a detachment of troops brought from Martinique in his squadron. Same evening departed company with R.-Adm. Duckworth's squadron, and bore up to the Westward.

3 Apr 1801 steering down the coast of Porto Rico.

4 Apr 1801 becalmed ; anchored in the White Grounds off Cape Roxa.

6 Apr 1801 plying through the Mona passage, fell in with the Thetis, and Bordelais ; supplied the latter with some provisions ; captured and destroyed a Spanish schooner. Finding the current setting strongly against the squadron bore up to the S.W.

7 Apr 1801 before the City of Hispaniola.

10 Apr 1801 before Jaquemel.

13 Apr 1801 arrived and anchored in Port Royal, Jamaica. Found here the squadron of V.-Adm. Hugh Seymour, consisting of 5 sail of the line and frigates. In entering Port Royal, the Spencer ran on one of the Knowles, but was hove off the same evening without damage. Found here also the Topaze.

18 Apr 1801 arrived the Magicienne (which parted in the storm off Cape Ortegal), with a prize corvette of 16 guns, which by mistake had attacked the Magicienne in the night. In this encounter the frigate lost 2 men, but the loss on the corvette was considerable. On entering the harbour the Magicienne ran aground and injured her copper.

19 Apr 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, &c. Supplied the squadron of Lord Seymour with several cables, boats, water casks, and volunteer marines. Also attached to his squadron the Cumberland and Magicienne ; the Thunderer being annexed to the squadron of Sir R. Calder, in want of repair. Prepared to sail, but the wind being unfavourable the squadron had one day's respite, being the first since they left England. Received here four days of fresh beef and some vegetables. Sailed the packet for England, with the Retribution frigate, formerly Hermione, to convey her through the Windward Passage. Also sailed four homeward bound merchant ships under convoy of the armed merchant ship Thetis.

29 May 1801 arrived the Thames at Spithead with dispatches from Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Calder, whom he left in the Prince of Wales, with the Pompee, Juste, Courageux, Spencer and Thunderer, to the north-ward of St. Domingo, on their passage home. The Cumberland, one of Sir Robert's squadron, was left in the West Indies, instead of the Thunderer, being so leaky, as to require her being sent home.

Circa 31 May 1801 - 1 Jun 1801 spoke with the Formidable in the Channel, which gave orders from the Admiralty to Sir Robert to join the Channel Fleet, which he has done with the remainder of his squadron.

11 Oct 1801 Henry William Bayntun, Esq. captain of the Cumberland, and temporary senior Officer for ships and vessels at Jamaica.

16 Oct 1801 the Falmouth packet, Princess Elizabeth, Capt Kidd, called at Jamaica, where he found HM Ships Cumberland, Abergavenny, Topaze, Circe, Cerberus, Retribution, Volage, Shark, Calypso, and Merlin, and during her stay the Carnatic, Seine, and Crescent arrived, and Capt Kidd departed Jamaica 2 Nov., with HM ship Apollo in company.

12 Jan 1802 a Court Martial was held on board the Cumberland, Captain Bayntum, in Port Royal, Jamaica, to try Thomas New, Esq. late Commander of HM late sloop Bonetta, and such of the Officers and Crew as were at Port Royal, for having ran the said sloop Bonetta on a shoal near the east end of the Jardines, P.M. on the 25 Oct last, where she bilged and overset ; and having examined the conduct of Captain New, and of such of the Officers and Crew of his Majesty's late sloop Bonetta as were at that port, and very maturely and deliberately considered the whole of the evidence and information produced, the Court is of opinion that no blame is to be attached to Captain New, the Officers and Crew, except Lieutenant Goakman, who had the charge of the watch at the time the ship run aground. And that it appears that Captain New, the Officers and Crew, did their utmost to save his Majesty's late sloop Bonetta and her stores after she was run on the shoals called the Jardines. The Court doth therefore adjudge that the said Thomas New, Esq. late Commander of his Majesty's late sloop Bonetta, and such of the Officers and ship's company of the said sloop as were then at Port Royal, be acquitted in the fullest manner from any blame for the loss of his Majesty's said sloop Bonetta, and they are hereby fully acquitted accordingly.

17 Jan 1802 a Court Martial was also held on board HM ship Cumberland in Port Royal Harbour, Jamaica, H. W. Bayntum, Esq. President, On the 17th of January, and continued by adjournment until the 19th, on Mr. Goakman, Second Lieutenant of his Majesty's late sloop Bonetta, for being the cause of the loss of the said sloop, by sleeping on his watch, and disobeying the orders he received from his Captain. The charge being proved, he was adjudged to be dismissed HM service, rendered incapable of serving his Majesty as an Officer, mulcted of all his pay, and to suffer two years imprisonment.

13 Jan 1803 when the Falmouth packet Leicester arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica, she found lying there the Leviathan, 74 ; Bellerophon, 74 ; Vanguard, 74 ; Elephant, 74 ; Desiree, 40 ; and sloops Shark, Pelican and Racoon ; the De Ruyter arriving on the 17 Jan, with the 87th Regt., from Curacoa, and on the 21st the Theseus, 74 ; Cumberland, 74 ; Goliath, 74 ; and Ganges, 74, from a cruise.

14 May 1803 letters are received at Plymouth, reporting the arrival of the Hercule, Capt Ferris, at Guadaloupe on 5 Apr, from Plymouth, and expects to depart shortly for Jamaica. The letters also advise that the Blenheim has recently been ashore and had to throw 18 guns overboard to get off, and has gone to Martinique. The Elephant, Vanguard, and Bellerophon, 74s, and the frigate Desiree, were reported to be at Jamaica. The Goliath, Cumberland and Theseus were on a cruise, as were the Tartar, Shark and Echo, off the North of Jamaica, and the Calypso off Cape Tiberon.

28 Jun 1803, cruising off Cape Nicholas-Mole with a small squadron.

30 Jun 1803, captured the French 40-gun frigate Créole, which was purchased into the Service, however, she foundered on her passage to England.

16 Jul 1803 departed Port Royal for off Cape Francois, to relieve the Leviathan.

24 Jan 1804 the Cumberland, Capt Sorrell, arrived at Spithead from Jamaica with dispatches and news regarding the surrender and evacuation of St Domingo. The frigates Cloriade, Servillante, and Jerneas, and 17 sail of merchantmen, laden with merchandise were captured in the harbour and taken to Jamaica ; along with Gen Rochambeau and 5-6,000 prisoners ; 100,000 gold dollars. The French officers were landed at Portchester, along with 250 Frenchmen from an accompanying transport. The Creole, French frigate accompanied the small squadron, but became so leaky she was emptied of anything of value and allowed to sink. The Cumberland lost most of her convoy in the recent gales, and some of them have been observed at Portsmouth passing up the Channel for the River. In addition to the Cumberland the French also surrendered to the Bellerophon, Capt Loring ; the Vanguard, Capt Walker ; Hercule ; Capt Dunn ; and the frigate Blanche, Capt Mudge.

4 Feb 1804 came into Portsmouth harbour from Spithead.

Circa 25 Feb 1804 paid off at Portsmouth.

Circa 4 Aug 1804 the Barfleur, Cumberland, Zealous, Success, Dido, and Serpent are being prepared at Portsmouth for being brought into commission.