1801 - Armistice with Denmark


Next Page

Previous Page
Naval History of Great Britain - Vol III
1801 British and Danish Fleets 74

opposed to it, and that only for a time, was comparatively uninjured. This battery therefore continued its fire; and, as about 1500 men had been thrown into it from the shore, was considered too strong to be stormed. It was now deemed an advisable measure to withdraw the fleet out of the intricate channel while the wind continued fair; and preparations were making for that purpose, when the Danish Adjutant-general Lindolm came, bearing a flag of truce: upon sight of which the Trekroner ceased firing; and the action, after having continued five hours, during four of which it had been warmly contested, was brought to a close.

The message from the crown prince was to inquire the particular object of Lord Nelson's note. The latter replied, in writing, that humanity was the object; that he consented to stay hostilities; that the wounded Danes should be taken on shore ; and that he should take his prisoners out of the vessels, and burn or carry off his prizes as he should think fit: his lordship concluded with a hope, that the victory he had gained would lead to a reconciliation between the two countries. Sir Frederick Thesiger, who had returned with the Danish adjutant-general, was again sent with the reply ; and the latter was referred to the commander-in-chief for a final adjustment of the terms.

The opportunity afforded by this delay, the London being nearly four miles distant, was not lost by Lord Nelson; and the leading British ships, all of which were much crippled in their rigging and sails, weighed or slipped in succession. The Monarch led the way, and touched upon the shoal; but the Ganges, taking her amidships, pushed her over it. The Glatton, drawing less water, passed clear; but the Defiance and Elephant grounded about a mile from the Trekroner; and, in spite of the exertions of their active crews, there remained fixed for many hours. The Désirée, also, at the opposite end of the line, having gone to assist the Bellona, became fast on the same shoal as the latter: The Bellona, however, was soon got afloat by resources of her own. An experienced quartermaster, observing the Isis in the act of slipping, suggested to the first lieutenant that, if a boat were sent to pick up that ship's cable, they might haul off by it. The hint was taken, and the Bellona quickly freed herself from the shoal.

Soon after the Elephant had grounded, Lord Nelson quitted her, and followed the Danish adjutant-general to the London. While the conference is holding, we will proceed to show, as well as we are able, at what expense England had brought Denmark to so subdued a tone. Taking the ships in the order in which they stand in a list at a subsequent page, the Désirée had one lieutenant (Andrew King) and three seamen wounded; the Russel, five seamen and one marine wounded; the Bellona, nine seamen and two private marines killed, and her captain (leg

^ back to top ^