In nearly all the earlier and later improvements inaugurated and carried to successful termination in Muncie and throughout Delaware County, Dr. Anthony bore a conspicuous part. He came to the village of Muncietown when it was scarcely more than a clearing in the wilderness, and throughout a number of years was one of its most active and worthy citizens, and was long identified with its mercantile and commercial interests.
He was born December 2, 1792, at Lynchburg, Va., at the age of twenty years, removed with his father, to Ohio. During the war of 1812, he served as a teamster in the United States Army, and after the close of the war (in 1814), went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he and his father started the first tobacco manufacturing establishment west of the Alleghany Mountains, the conduct a very successful tobacco and general merchandise trade for several years. While at Cincinnati he studied medicine, and after completing his medical education removed to Clinton County, Ohio where he was engaged for three years in the practice of his profession. At the end of that time, he removed to Cedarville, in the same state, where he engaged in the practice for an equal length of time.
He then located at Muncie, Ind, in 1831, where he spent the residue of his life, practicing medicine and selling merchandise. He invested largely in real estate, purchasing thousands of acres in this and adjoining counties, and by close attention to business, amassed a large fortune, which at the time of his death, was variously estimated at from $250,000 to $500,00. He opened a general merchandise store at Muncie, shortly after his arrival here, and for more than forty years was identified with that branch of the public interests of the town. He practiced medicine for twenty-five years, and during that time, established a fine reputation as a successful physician. He could not retire from the practice altogether, for there were many who refused to have the administration of any other physician in case of sickness. When called out upon such a mission to one of his old patients, he always responded cheerfully, and never took a fee for his service. He was himself a man of robust health, and up to the day of his death, was engaged in active business life. Although he had almost reached the age of eighty-four years his physical and mental faculties were unimpaired
He was active in all public enterprises, which seemed to him calculated to promote the interest of this city and county. When the Bellefontaine & Indianapolis Railroad was advocated, he at once enlisted to help the project along by taking stock to the amount of several thousand dollars, and personally soliciting subscriptions to the road. He served as one of the directors of this road and later, was elected President in which capacity he served about a year. He then resigned and was succeeded by Hon. John Bough, of Ohio and again became a Director. He was President of the Fort Wayne & Southern Railway, and a Director of the Lafayette, Muncie & Bloomington Railway.
On the day preceding his death, he had transacted his business as usual and at evening repaired to the resident of his son, with whom he was then living. He felt no premonition of what was to come until late in the night, when he was seized with violent pains, which culminated in paralysis, and at 1 o'clock on Saturday morning July 22, 1876 he died. In his death Delaware County lost one of its most substantial citizens and one of its best financiers. He seemed to possess a natural talent for making money, while he was never penurious or unwilling to contribute his share to public or private charities. In all his dealings with the world he was strictly conscientious and honorable, and never took an unfair advantage. He was prompt in the fulfillment of his own obligations, and expected others to be so when they were the debtors. In many cases he found it necessary to be exacting hence he was called by some a hard man, but those who understood him knew that in his nature there was more of kindness than any other trait and his life was replete with kind deeds performed away from the public gaze and known only to recipients.
He was twice married-first in 1817, to Miss Narcissa Haines who died in May 1858, leaving one son, Edwin C, in 1859; he married Miss Emily G. Venaman who still survives.
His son, Edwin C. Anthony was born at Cincinnati Ohio, May 29, 1818 and received his education at Richmond, Ind. On the 30th day of September 1849 he was united in marriage with Miss Rebecca G. Venaman who has proved a loving and devoted wife throughout the years that have followed. They are the parents of six children. Florence, Samuel P, Edwin C, Jr., Ella A, Charles H, and Adelia. Florence is the wife of E. H. Swain, and now resides in the State of Florida. Samuel P married Miss Fannie F. Bayless and is engaged in manufacturing at Muncie. Ella A now deceased was the wife of George R. Gamble, and resided at Muncie. Adelia is the wife of C. F. Robinson and resides in Florida. (page 134-5)
MAJ. THOMAS S. WALTERHOUSE
Maj. Thomas S. Walterhouse, a prominent attorney of Muncie, and a gallant officer during the war of the rebellion, was born Sept. 6, 1832, in Genesee Co., N. Y. At the age of three years, he accompanied his parents to Oakland Co., Mich., where he grew to manhood. He attended the district school during the winter and worked on his father's farm during the remainder of the year, his early life being no more eventful than that of farmer boys in general. At the age of nineteen years, he entered a select school, and after remaining for one term in that institution, he adopted the vocation of school-teaching as a means for furthering his plans for the study of law. He was thus engaged four winters, devoting all his spare time to the pursuit of his studies , and, in 1854, entered the literary department of the Kalamazoo (Michigan) institute. In the meantime he had acquired a knowledge of the watchmaker's trade, under the instructions of a friend, and after remaining one year at the Kalamazoo Institute, he found it impossible to longer support himself and continue his studies. In the spring of 1855, he removed to West Liberty, Ohio, where, in partnership with William Nichols, he opened a jewelry store. In the following May, with a number of the citizens of West Liberty, he emigrated to Montezuma, Powesheik Co., Iowa. Here he again engaged in the jewelry trade, but, finding the business unsatisfactory, he sold his stock and entered the law office of Reuben Mickle, Esq., to complete a course of reading, and prepare himself for the practice of the profession which, from boyhood, had been his choice. He was admitted to practice in the Powesheik District Court on the 26th day of November, 1857. In October, 1859, on account of his wife's failing health, he removed to Muncie, Ind., where, in the spring of 1860, he formed a partnership with Mr. David Nation, a prominent lawyer of Delaware County. In May, 1862, he was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Indiana, and in the United State Circuit and District Courts, for the District of Indiana.
Early in the war of the rebellion, he abandoned his practice to take part in the victories or defeats of his comrades and old-time neighbors, in their efforts to prevent secession and quell the rebellion that promised to cast an eternal stain upon our fair names as a nation. On the 17th day of July, 1862, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant to recruit a company for the Sixt-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteers, which regiment was then about to be organized by W. A. Bickle. He was valuable and successful recruiting officer, and in response to his earnest pleading, the muster-roll of the Sixty-ninth received many a name, and many valuable dditions to its ranks. By the unanimous choice of the memeber of th Company B, of this regiment, he became Captain of the company, and was commissioned as such on the 8th of August, 1862. On the 19th of the same month he was commissioned Major of the regiment by Gov. Morton, and mustered into service in this caacity. At the unfortuante battle of Richmond, Ky., on the 30th of August, 1862, he was shot in the left hip, and at nearly the same time, Col. Korff and Lieut. Col. Stout were also seriously wounded. The command of the regiment then devolved upon the Major, and in spite of the pain caused by his bleeding would, he remained in his saddle giving orders and encouraging his men. The fight at Richmond was disastrous. The Union forces were overpowered, and a large portion of the Sixty-ninth fell into the hands of the rebels as prisoners. They were almost immediately paroled, however, and returned to Richmond, Ind., for re-organization. Maj. Walterhouse reached Greensburg, Ind., shortly after being wounded and was confined to his house for several weeks, but he rejoined his regiment at Richmond, Ind., and after it was re-organized, went with it to the Mississippi River. He was engaged with his regiment at the battle of Chickasaw Bluffs from December 28, 1862, to January 3, 1863, and at the capture of Post Arkansas, January 11, 1863. He was afterward retired to the sick list, and was never again reported for duty. He was forced to resign on account of physical disability, and was honorably discharged on the 15th of February, 1863.
While at Montezuma, Iowa, he became acquainted with Miss Zerald B. Kemper, sister of Dr. G. W. H. Kemper, of Muncie. Friendship ripened into love, and, on the 12th day of April, 1857, they were united in marriage at her home in Clarksburg, Decatur Co., Ind. After his return from the army, Maj. Walterhouse spent a short time at home, resting and recuperating his health, and then returned to Muncie, and resumed the prctice of law with Mr. Nation, who had resigned his position as Captain in the Sixty-ninth Regiment. Capt. Nation withdrew from the firm in August, 1863, and Maj. Walterhouse continued the practice alone until the spring of 1864, when he formed a parnership with Charles W. Moore. This relation was dissolved in the winter of 1868-69, and, in April, 1869, partnership relations were formed between Maj. Walterhouse and James B. Weir, which continued about one year. Since the dissolution of the latter partnership, Maj. Walterhouse has continued to practice alone. His eminent success at the bar justifies the conclusion that his youthful inclinations led him to adopt the profession for which he was best adapted. He is a close student and thoroughly versed in the law. His cases are managed on their merits, and he will not undertake the defense of a cause that seems to him wrong. He is devoted to the interests of his clients, and is valued as a counselor. He is an able and eloquent pleader, and has displayed great ability in the management of difficult and complicated cases.
In politics he is always found working earnestly and unselfishly for the success of his party, while he has never sought official recognition or elevation to public office. He cast his first vote for President for Abraham Lincoln, in 1860, and has ever since been a staunch Republican. He is a member of the Baptist Church at Muncie, and unites the virtues of the Christian gentleman with his professional ability. He is a member of Delaware Lodge, F. & A. M. of Muncie Chapter, and of Muncie Council, and was a charter member of Muncie Commandery. No. 18.
In 1868, a great sorrow came over his home, until then the abode of joy and happiness. His wife was taken from him by death, and three children--John T., Charles R., and Sarah Zerelda--were left to mourn her loss and comfort her husband in his grief. In September, 1869, he was wedded to Miss Sarah M. Kemper, his present companion, and the sister of his first wife. She was a teacher in the public schools of Muncie, and as such, won a warm place in the hearts of her pupils, and a high reputation as an able and accomplished instructor. (Page 192)
LEVI GIDDINGS SAFFER.
Levi Giddings Saffer was born July 4, 1831 in Posey Township, Harrison County, Ind., of which township and county his father, Enoch Saffer, was also a native. His mother was of New England ancestry, and died when her son Levi was but three years of age.
He never attended any but the rude log schoolhouses of his native county, and the entire period of his school life, probably, did not exceed twelve months. But he was always a close observer and a diligent student, and to these facts alone is he indebted for the attainments of later life; for, by persevering and rigid course of study, he has achieved a high degree of scholarship, and is perhaps one of the best ornithologists and entomologists in the State. He is a member of the Society of Natural History, at New Albany, Ind., and was at one time a regular contributor to the American Entomologist, edited by Charles B. Riley.
At the age of fourteen years, he started out to earn his way in the world, and was engaged on steamers and flat-boats, plying between Louisville and New Orleans, continuing this line of employment, with brief intermissions, until he was twenty-one years old. In 1853, he was married to Miss Ruth Peters, from which union came three children, named respectively, Almeda Gertrude, Matthew Edwin and Matilda Ellen, all of whom are now living. But the happiness of his wedded life was sundered in 1862 by the death of his wife, leaving a void in his heart that has never been filled. At the outbreak of the late rebellion, he enlisted in Fifty-third regiment Indiana Volunteers, but was honorably discharged, before the expiration of his term of enlistment, on account of failing health.
He adopted the profession of school teaching, and in this vocation he has achieved very pronounced success, ranking among the best in his profession. He came to Delaware County in 1874, and took charge of the public school at Albany, in Delaware Township. He afterward taught the C and D Grammar Grades in the Jefferson School at Muncie. In 1876, he taught the "Riverside" School, north of Muncie, in Center Township, and, in 1877, became Principal of the public school at Selma, and has since continued to officiate as such. It is no more than simple justice to Mr. Saffer to say that, under his management, the Selma Graded School has been materially improved, and its usefulness enhanced.
His education has been comprehensive, and his attainments are varied. He is a pointed and sarcastic writer, and was at one time city editor of the new Albany (Ind) Ledger-Standard. He afterward belonged to the editorial corps of the Louisville (Ky.) Ledger, and contributed to various newspapers, among which are the Cincinnati Times, Louisville Commercial, Indianapolis Journal, and Indianapolis Sentinel. He is quite proficient in the Graham system of short-hand writing, and is a very successful reporter. Although not a candidate for political honors, he has alway taken a decided stand in political matters. He was an Abolitionist, and stoutly advocated emancipation in the face of a hostile public sentiment. His position on this question was somewhat advanced, but his old neighbors have grown up to it, and see the matter in the same light, commending him for his courage and judgment in championing a cause so righteous, when public opinion was largely in sympathy with the slaveholder. Page 232-3)