Ninth Pastor- Rev. Adolph Lehman
In September, 1878, Rev. Adolph Lehman took charge of this Church. For nine years Rev. Lehman studied the best interest of this Church and community and the work of his hands and heart were abundantly blessed. Mrs. Lehman was a true helpmeet, though with manifold duties, with four stirring little people, to keep up with. There were Ray now M.D.,Mary Augusta, a Y.W. worker in New York City, Carl, attorney-at-law in Cincinnati, and Frank Scott, Captain Lehman of the Army. These are ours born here. We are proud of them. All of Rev. Lehman's sons and daughters are doing Christian work in their locations. Rev. and Mrs. Lehman have both been called up higher.
One month after Rev. Lehman left, Rev. Deighton was called. He was very strong intellectually and very companionable. We remember a number of his sermons: "The Destructive Penknife." and "The Soldier's Dream" were two. As the family did not move here his was a short pastorate. A daughter, Miss Ada, came on a visit and remained and tought "Stony Point" school and boarded at Mrs. Jane Lane's. She proved to be a very bright and interesting girl. Then Mrs. Deighton, a lovely lady , came on a visit and all felt that she and a home would have been of great advantage to both pastor and people. Rev. Deighton accepted a call to Huntington, Ind., after two years service.
Rev. James Hickling was the successor of Rev. Deighton and they were as different as Moses and Aaron, though both were Englishmen. However, Rev. Hickling came over when quite young, was educated here and was thoroughly Americanized, as all who come should be. Rev. Hickling was a deeply spiritual man and a preacher of more than ordinary ability. He was also progressive and looked carefully after the best interests of town and Church. In Rev. Lehman's time we were connected with Adams Mills. Under Rev. Deighton we were united to the Muskingum Church. During Rev. Hickling's regime we bought the much need Manse.
Mrs Hickling was the consecrated assistant of the pastor. She was a faithful teacher in the Sabbath School and a zealous worker in the missionary and other societies of the Church. For five years they faithfully performed all the duties of their office. It was a great loss to town, and Church when they left us. In June, 1919, Rev. Hickling"passed through the gates into the city." Mrs. Hickling is indeed bereaved.
In March, 1896, Dr. Barnes came to us. Very soon their only son, Henry , was called above, leaving only Emily to comfort them. Eighteen years earlier, or when Rev. Millikan left here in March , 1878, Rev. Barnes had preached for this church all summer, and very acceptably. The Church desired his services but were too slow in saying so and when they did speak he had accepted a call elsewhere. When Rev. Hickling resigned in 1895 the labors of Dr. Barnes were secured in March, 1896. Mrs Barnes was abundant in good works and a faithful co-worker with her husband. They mourned tenderly with those who mourned and were very companionsable for the aged. Emily grew into womanhood among us-a favorite with all.
They ministered to this people in season and out of season and were greatly missed when they left in 1903. After serving various churches Dr. Barnes health failed, they went to Florida to recuperate in 1916, and there at St. Petersburgh, he was called to the "many mansions." He, too, sleeps among us, beside little Henry.
Dr. Barnes was a fine sermonizer and always helped the hearer. He was an optimist, as every Christian should be, a welcome visitor in the home, always leaving a more genial atmosphere. Mrs. Barnes resides with Emily-Mrs.Callum- her husband and their little son. God has set the solitary in the family.