Chute Family: Notes 73-1151 - 73-1180

Note    N73-1151         Back to Index        Back to Robert Lessley Chute and Colleen Ann Madigan Chute.
Notes on Robert Lessley Chute and Colleen Ann Madigan Chute:

From the South Bend Tribune, 12 MAY 1999, Robert Lessley Chute was listed as one of the incumbent candidates for the Niles, Michigan City Council. He was the incumbent, and was running unopposed in the 3rd ward. His term was to run for four years.

Obituary, Colleen Ann Madigan Chute
Sept. 9, 1942 - Sept. 26, 2006

"Colleen A. Chute, 64, of Oak Street, Niles, Michigan, died at 1:25 p.m. Tuesday, September 26, 2006, in her home due to an extended illness.

Mrs. Chute was born September 9, 1942, in Newberry, Michigan to Archibald and Geraldine (MacNeil) Madigan. She moved to Niles in May of 1968 with her husband in his transfer from Flint as a Michigan State Police Trooper.

On July 27, 1963, in Bay City, Michigan she married Robert L. Chute who survives. She was a caring mother to her three daughters, Leslie (Joe) Surch of Coloma, Michigan, Susan (Rod) Taylor of Buchanan, and Cynthia (Rick) Wolkens of Niles. She was a devoted grandmother to her six granddaughters and two grandsons. A grandson, Benjamin, preceded her in death in 1993. Also surviving is her sister, Kathie (Pat) Mills of Midland, Michigan. An older brother, James Madigan, preceded her in death.

Colleen was an active parishioner of Saint Mark Catholic Church. She was the past chairperson of the annual church Christmas Bazaar and a member of the Christian Mothers. Her interest in miniatures led her to the position of past-state representative in the National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts (N.A.M.E.) She also served immediate past A-3 regional director of N.A.M.E. A former Girl Scout, she eventually became a leader. The foundations she learned helped Colleen operate for twenty-one years a home day care provider service named Colleen's Kiddie Korner. She then founded the Southwest Michigan Day Care Association.

A Mass of Christian Burial for Colleen A. Chute will be celebrated at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday October 3, in Saint Mark Catholic Church. The family will receive friends and relatives from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday in the Halbritter Funeral Home, where a Rosary service will be held at 7:30 p.m. that evening. Burial will be at Mission Hills Memorial Gardens. Contributions in memory of Mrs. Chute may be made to Hospice-at-Home."

Source: South Bend Tribune, South Bend, Indiana
Obituary Publication Date: 28 Sep 2006


Note    N1152          Index
Notes for Crosbie: Her father was high sheriff of Kerry.


Note    N1153          Index
Notes for Arthur Chute: Died without issue.


Note    N73-1154         Back to Index        Back to Richard Chute (Roxborough I) and Mary or Jane Austen Chute.

Notes on Richard Chute (Roxborough I) and Mary or Jane Austen Chute:

"Richard Chute, Esq., of Tulligaron, m. Charity, da of John Herbert, Esq., of Castle Island, Kerry Co., and had: i Francis, his heir, ii Richard, of Roxborough, Kerry Co. iii. Margaret, m. George Rowan, Esq., of Rahtany. iv. Agnes, m. John Sealy, Esq., of Maglass. v. Catharine, m. Cornelius Mc- Gillicuddy (McGillicuddy of the Reeks)."

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 15.

"II. Richard, of Roxborough, in Kerry, who m. Jane, dau. of � Austen, Esq., of Waterfall, in the same county, and left one son and two daua., viz., Richard, who m. Miss Morris, of Ballybcggin, in Kerry, and has one son, George, and three daus.
Mary. m. to Hugh Jamison, Esq. of Cork.
Charity, m. to Robert Torrens, Esq., M.P. for Bolton."

Source: Burke, J. Bernard, Esq. A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Commoners of Great Britain And Ireland for 1852, Comprising Particulars of Upwards of 100,000 Individuals: Volume I, A-O, Colburn & Co., Publishers, Great Marlborough Street, London 1852. Page 221


Note    N73-1155         Back to Index        Back to Cornelius Connor McGillicuddy and Catherine Chute McGillicuddy.
Notes on Cornelius Connor McGillicuddy and Catherine Chute McGillicuddy:

"Cornelius McGillicuddy could trace his pedigree to Edward I. According to notes obtained from the McGillicuddy family, "Upon attaining his majority he proceeded to obtain an account from Mr. Herbert, his mother's second husband, of the assets of his father, and for that purpose took out administration to his elder brother Dennis. In 1743, Cornelius had thoughts of marrying a Roman Catholic, as appears from a letter which he received from Redmond Keatinge, a lawyer whom he consulted. In this letter, dated from Dublin January the 7th, 1743, Mr. Keatinge thus advised the McGillicuddy: "I am of opin, ye can't w'th safety marry a Papist. Such marriage is attended with very many legal disabilities, such as to be deemed a Papist, unless the lady shall conform within y* year and day after y* marriage. But I do not think y* such marriage, tho' she should not conform, could affect y* present estate. There is a bill brought in this session to annull all future marriages between Protestants and Papists, but whether it will pass into a law, I know not as yet." The McGillicuddy seems to have adopted the advice of his counselor. In the month of April 1745 (as appears by his love letters still preserved), he was engaged to Catherine, daughter of Richard Chute, esq. of Tulligaron, co. Kerry, by Charity, dau of Arthur Herbert of Currens and Mary Bastable. The McGillicuddy's marriage with this lady was solemnized on the 16th of July, 1745."

Source: The McGillicuddy Papers: A Selection from The Family Archives of "The McGillicuddy of the Reeks" with An Introductory Memoir: Being a Contribution to the History of the County of Kerry, W. Maziere Brady, D.D., Longmans, Green and Co., London, 1867, Page 199

Cornelius MacGillycuddy, of the Reeks, b. in 1720, who m. in 1746, Catherine, dau. of Richard Chute, Esq. of Tulligaron, by Charity, his wife, dau. of John Herbert, Eaq. of Castle Island, and had issue,
I. Denis b. 31 Dec. 1747, d.s.p.
II. Richard, heir.
III. Francis, b. 17 Aug. 1751, m. in 1788, Catherine, relict of Darby McGill, Esq., and third dau. of Denis Mahony, Esq. of Dromore Castle, and, dying 6 April, 1820, left issue,

Richard, the present MacGillicuddy of the Reeks.
Francis, d. unm. in 1833.
Denis, m. Miss Mary Kirwan, and d.s.p. in April, 1843.
Catherine, m. in 1827 to Montgomery Agnew Martin, Esq., and has three sons and two daughters.
IV. Daniel,
V. Eusebius.
VI. Cornelius, b. in July, 1762.
i. Charity; ii. Mary-Anne; iii. Margaret; iv. Agnes; v. Ruth; vi. Avis.

MacGillycuddy d. in 1787, and was s. by his son, Richard MacGillyciddy, of the Reeks, b. 30 May, 1750, who m. the Hon. Arabella Mullins, dau. of William Lord Ventry, but dying without issue, 19 Nov. l826, was s. by his nephew, the present chief.

Arms: a wivern, or.
Crest� The "Reeks," resting on a feudal coronet.
Motto� Sursum corda.
Seat�Baun Cluen House, Killarney.

Source: Burke, J. Bernard, Esq. A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Commoners of Great Britain And Ireland for 1852, Comprising Particulars of Upwards of 100,000 Individuals: Volume I, A-O, Colburn & Co., Publishers, Great Marlborough Street, London 1852. Page 802.

"I'm seeking the parents of John McGillicuddy,born ca. 1782, who m. Catherine Sullivan, daughter of Matthew Sullivan and Nora Lynch*, 31 Aug 1802 in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland. (*This detail is disputed).

It has been suggested that John, who named his eldest son Cornelius, is the son of Cornelius McGillcuddy, b. July 1762 -- 6th son of Cornelius McGillicuddy (of the Reeks) and Catherine Chute, but other than a "right age" fit, we have no other evidence. Any help will be greatly appreciated."

Posted by Jim Holloway,


Note    N1156          Index
Mary Chute was not listed in Burke's Peerage but was named in a deed, in 1869. The following record may explain her absense ... as her birthdate would make her one of the eldest of the siblings:

Level: Category Records in public repositories
Level: Fonds
Reference Code T/A 855

Scope and Content Photocopies of letters written to a Mrs Balfour of Shapinsay, Orkney, by Mrs Holland and her daughter Charlotte Clifford 1808-1812 from a seminary in Brentwood run by Mrs Mitchell. Original letters are deposited in Orkney Archives. These letters form part of a larger collection of Balfour Papers in Orkney Archive (reference D2/27/22) and were written by Mrs Holland (formerly Clifford, formerly Montgomery nee Chute) and her daughter Charlotte Clifford to Mrs Balfour of Shapinsay, Orkney between 1799 and 1812. The letters copied here cover the years 1807 to 1812 when Mrs Mitchell moved her seminary from Wimeswold, co. Leics to Brentwood.

Mrs Holland was born Mary Chute of Chute Hall co. Kerry in 1763, in 1781 married Alexander Montgomery and in 1797 met Colonel Thomas Balfour of Elwick, Shapinsay, Orkney conceiving a daughter by him. She fled from her husband and gave birth to an illegitimate daughter given the name "Charlotte Clifford" on 15 July 1799. Colonel Balfour died in Bath in September 1799 but his widow, Mrs Balfour made arrangements for �31,000 to be invested for the child's education. In the meantime Alexander Montgomery returned to Ireland and divorced his wife by Act of Parliament. Mary Clifford married again, this also ended in separation and as Mrs. Holland she went to live from 1803 with her Swiss friend Mrs. Mitchell while her daughter was educated at her school.


Note    N73-1157          Index
Notes on John Desmond Francis Chute and Alice Beberman Chute:

John Chute is an attorney in Edinborough, where the family also owns and operates a bed and breakfast. Alice is a talented artist who often shows her work in Edinborough under her own name, Alice R. Beberman.

Daughter Daisy Chute is an actress and vocalist who won a scholarship to the specialist music school for Scotland, where she sings as a chorister for St. Mary's Cathedral. She played Cosette in Les Miserables, Second UK Tour, 1997-2000. Her performance opened in Edinborough, December 1, 1998.

In 2005, she released her first CD: "Simply Jazz".


Note    N73-1158         Back to Index        Back to Lieut. Challoner Francis Trevor Chute, C.F.T. and Mary Emily ("Maud Emily") Hobson Chute.

Notes on Lieut. Challoner Francis Trevor Chute, C.F.T. and Mary Emily ("Maud Emily") Hobson Chute:

Lieutenant Challoner Francis Trevor Chute, 2nd Battalion RMF (Royal Munster Fusiliers), was the Son of Francis Blennerhassett Chute, J.P., of Chute Hall, Tralee, Co. Kerry; Ireland, and husband of **Maud Emily Hobson of Corbally. Chute married Hobson on Thursday June 29th 1911 in St. Mary's Cathedral, Limerick Ireland. The Best Man was the groom's elder brother Captain Richard Chute of the Manchester Regiment.

Lieutenant C.F.T. Chute was killed in action on Thursday 27 August 1914. He was aged 29 years. He is buried in the ETREUX BRITISH CEMETERY Aisne, France, grave reference II. 6.

Etreux is a village in the Department of the Aisne, 32 kilometres north-east of St Quentin and 20 kilometres west of La Capelle. The British Cemetery is in an orchard at the entrance of the village on the Landrecies road (D946).

On the 27th August, 1914, Etreux was the scene of the Rearguard Affair, in which the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers were overwhelmed, after a long resistance, by nine German battalions.

Lieutenant C.F.T. Chute was in command of the machine gun party and they fought to a last man.

The British Cemetery is in an orchard on the Landrecies road, beyond the railway line, very close to the scene of the 2nd Munster's last stand. It was made by the survivors on the 28th August, by permission of the enemy. It contains a Celtic Cross (erected by the mother of one of the Munster's officers) and two big graves.

The cemetery was consecrated on October 5th 1921, among those present was Captain Richard Chute, paying his respects at his brother's grave. **Maud Emily Chute remarried, I believe the groom was a St. Clair Carew of Howes Place, Cambridge England, I have no marriage details.

Notes courtesy of James O'Sullivan.

History of the Royal Munster Fusiliers by Capt. S. McCance. Published 1927, I have the two volume set bequeathed to me by my father.

Journal of the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association, issue number 12, Spring 1998, I am an Honorary Member.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission database of WW I casualties, online database at

The account below is from the pen of Lieutenant-Colonel H.S. Jervis M.C., late Commanding the 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers. Jervis was well equipped to write up this account of the rearguard action. Holding rank of Captain, Jervis Commanded 'D' Company during this conflict, and at the end of the day was also taken prisoner.

His history of " The 2nd Munsters in France ", was first published by Gale & Polden, Aldershot, in 1922. (H.S. Jervis's father, Lieutenant W.S. Jervis, served with the *Bengal European Fusiliers, and participated in the Indian Mutiny.)

"The 2nd Battalion arrived in France as a part of the 1st Infantry Brigade on August 13th. It proceeded from Havre by train to Le Nouvion, going into billets in the village of Bou�, three miles east of Etreux, which was to be the scene of its first great action. After five days the Battalion marched up north to the Belgian frontier, doing a double march of over forty miles on the 22nd without undue fatigue, and remained in reserve on the 24th during the Battle of Mons. The retreat during the next three days was carried out in hot weather, the reservists especially being much galled by carrying the pack, to which many of them were quite unaccustomed. However, they "stuck it out" manfully, and the Battalion�s percentage of stragglers compared favourably with that of other units.

Up to the 26th, though continually within hearing of heavy firing, the Battalion had done no actual fighting, and it awaited somewhat impatiently the order to engage the enemy.

It is occasionally given to a brigade to hold up a whole division. A division may occasionally stop the advance of an army corps, but for one battalion of infantry�or, to be more exact, three companies�with the aid of a couple of field guns, to stein the advance of an entire army corps is probably an incident without parallel in modern warfare. Yet this was done on August 27th, 1914, by the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers.

The 1st Infantry Brigade, under the command of Brigadier-General Ivor Maxse, was covering the withdrawal of the 1st Army Corps. On the British right�i.e., to the east wards�was the 5th French Army. To the west stretched the whole British Expeditionary Force, at that date some five infantry divisions and a cavalry division. The Battle of Le Cateau bad been fought the day before, and the badly shattered 2nd Army Corps, under Smith-Dorrien, was withdrawing to the south.

The German Army, in the full flood of its successful invasion of Northern France, was sweeping all before it. Nothing seemed to stop it or even check it. Fresh troops appeared like magic on the heels of our tired infantry, harassing the rearguards, cutting off small parties, getting in between different divisions, and generally impeding our retirement and involving the British Force in actions which threatened time after time to leave it "in the air," cut off from its Miles. General Maxse determined that these mosquito tactics should not be allowed to interfere with the withdrawal of the 1st Army Corps, and he accordingly disposed of his rearguard in such depth as to keep a distance of over eight miles between the main body and the enemy. To effect this, he judiciously selected as rear party commander the Commanding Officer of the Munsters, giving him a free hand as to how to conduct his retirement. This officer was possessed of such a remarkable personality as to deserve special mention.

By name Paul Charrier, by rank a Major, he was mentally and physically one of the biggest men in the Army. Convinced twenty years ago that Britain would find herself sooner or later involved in European warfare on a large scale, he had concentrated his attention on preparing himself for the inevitable struggle. Having the advantage of French blood in his veins, he was equally at home on both sides of the English Channel.

He knew Northern France like the palm of his hand, spoke fluent French, and knew as much about the organization of the French Army as any British officer in France. His tactical ability and wide range of knowledge had already brought him into prominent notice at Aldershot.

After a somewhat tiring march on August 26th, the 1st Infantry Brigade found themselves billeted in and around the village of Fesmy, some seven miles south-east of Le Cateau. The next day the withdrawal was to be continued, and Major Charrier was allotted the task of covering the withdrawal of the remainder of the rearguard. He was given his own battalion, a troop of the 15th Hussars, and two guns of the 118th Battery, R.F.A., for this purpose. With the guns came Major A. R. Bayly, as gallant a gunner as ever stepped. Early in the morning of the 27th Major Charrier issued orders for the disposal of his small force, throwing out feelers to the east to get in touch with our Allies. Unlike most of France, the country here was much enclosed and movement, except by the roads, was a slow and laborious proceeding.

Charrier therefore concentrated on the defence of the roads by which any large force of the enemy must advance. Two companies were sent to an important road junction a mile to the north of Fesmy, and the greater part of a third company to cross-roads a mile to the south-east. The rearguard was thus facing, roughly, north-east, from which direction, as was afterwards ascertained, masses of the enemy were sweeping forward.

About 9 a.m. it was discovered that our Allies were beginning to withdraw from their positions farther east, and to move southwards in conformity with the general plan. In the meantime an entire German Army Corps (the 10th Reserve Army Corps) was approaching the positions held by the Munsters by two parallel routes. Both these routes were blocked, either directly or indirectly, by the Battalion. Shortly after 9 a.m. the action began with the appearance of the German cavalry, who advanced with great caution in front of their main columns. By this time our men had dug themselves in comfortably, and were prepared to make things hot for any intruder.

However, the 17th Brunswick Hussars were no thrusters, and patiently awaited the arrival of reinforcements before investigating the position. These arrived an hour and a half later, and at about 11 a.m. a brisk action opened. The 2nd Guards� Reserve Division, consisting of twelve battalions, advanced to the attack on both flanks of our position. To the south-east they penetrated into the village of Bergues, and after a sharp fight the company holding that flank, having inflicted heavy casualties on the enemy, withdrew to the south. On our other flank the enemy encountered a tougher proposition, for there he found "B" and "D" Companies of the Munsters strongly entrenched waiting for him. For half an hour he tried in vain to find a "soft spot" in the defence, and then retired to await reinforcements. Mean while, "D" Company�s cooker had come up, and dinners were served out. Half the company was then separated from the remainder by a road, up which the enemy was firing heavily. The dinners were carried across this at the double by the company�s cooks, and the sight of these gallant fellows running across under their heavy loads with bent heads seemed irresistibly comic to the remainder of the company, who called out all sorts of facetious remarks. "Don�t be emptying all the tay down your trowsies"; "Come out of that, Micky; what are you stopping in the middle of the road for ?" etc. The cooks were highly incensed, and threatened reprisals, but these bad to be postponed.

The sky now rapidly clouded over, and about noon a heavy thunderstorm broke over head, the rain coming down in sheets for a full half-hour. The enemy, who had been massing north-east of Fesmy for some time, now made a desperate effort to take the village.

Pushing his attack home with great energy, and, making use of largely superior numbers, he penetrated into the village and established himself there. He even got as far as a couple of gun limbers drawn up on the roadside, and killed and dispersed the gunners and the horses. Things were looking so grave that a counter-attack was ordered by Captain Rawlinson, commanding "C" Company. This was delivered by a couple of platoons with a swing and dash that carried all before it. The village was cleared every German in it was killed or captured, and the enemy was driven back in disorder to the north-east. Elsewhere in the attack, delivered with the same energy, failed completely before the devastating fire of the Munsters, aided by their two machine guns and the two field guns which had been firing heavily for nearly an hour. The enemy, always cunning, tried the ruse of driving cattle in front of him to cover his advance, but this trick was soon discovered, and such a stream of lead turned on to him that he was sorry he tried the experiment, and hastily abandoned it. The machine-gun officer was Lieutenant C. F. Chute, one of the cheeriest and best of sportsmen.

Heavy German reinforcements had by now come up against "B" and "D" Companies on the left (northern) flank, and a furious fire was opened on these companies. The Munsters held their fire until the enemy arrived at short range, and then pumped lead into them. The rain was still pouring down, and, taking advantage of it and of the confusion caused by the sudden outburst of fire, both companies withdrew towards Battalion Headquarters north of Fesmy. Suspecting a trap, the enemy advanced cautiously to the evacuated positions, and by the time he realized the bird had flown a mile separated the combatants.

The action farther south was still raging when the two companies marched up very pleased with themselves, in spite of being soaked to the skin. By now it was after 1 p.m., and the withdrawal was proceeded with. The Battalion Headquarters were in a small estaminet at a cross-roads north of Fesmy; the din prodigious, rifle, machine-gun and artillery fire mingled with each other; the enemy added appreciably to the clatter. German wounded were brought in under cover by the Irish stretcher-bearers, groaning as they lay close by. The neighing of the excited gunner horses mingled with the shouted words of command as the guns were moved from one position to another.

In the midst of this babel of sounds Major Charrier conducted operations precisely in the same manner as he had a hundred times before in mimic battle at Caesar's Camp or Salisbury Plain�an admirable example of the soundness of the general lines on which our peace training was conducted. A lighter touch was added by one of the company cooks, who was chasing a stout young porker round a yard close by, and its yells could be plainly heard above the din of the battle.

Major Charrier now altered the order of battle, "B" Company under Captain G. N. Simms, M.V.O., becoming right flank guard (to the east), "D" Company left flank guard and rearguard. Our right, as we withdrew facing the enemy, was our most dangerous flank, and a better man than Captain Simms to meet such a situation could not be found. To the casual observer he would have been put down as a mere well-dressed man-about-town. But he was something more. He had a hobby, and that hobby was commanding a company. Indeed, it was claimed that he was the best company commander at Alder-shot before the war. He had the happy knack of training his subordinates to think and act for themselves, and before the end of the day this capacity was to be tested to the utmost.

By 2 p.m. the Germans attacking Fesmy village made up their minds that they were not going to put their heads into a wasps� nest again without adequate precautions, and withdrew to await the arrival of their artillery. In the meantime the Munsters were silently evacuating their positions and marching through the village southwards. The two field guns preceded the move, and, taking up a position in the fields to the south of the village, again opened fire on the enemy. One company after another filed through the streets, leaving the unfortunate inhabitants behind them, until all were reported clear. At the last moment one section of "D" Company was reported missing. Back dashed an officer of the company under heavy fire through a farmyard into the fields beyond, found the section closely pressed by the enemy and reluctant to leave them without "one more crack at them, sir"; he hustled them off, and rejoined the rearguard within ten minutes. The country here was rather more open, and the withdrawal continued slowly, "B" Company to the east keeping the enemy at bay. The enemy now decided to play "long bowls" with us, and showed great distaste for close quarters.

By 5.30 p.m. the main body of the Munsters assembled at a cross-roads due east of a village named Oisy, through which lay our road southwards. Only " B "Company was missing. Messages were sent off eastwards by runners and bicycle; the signaller got busy, but it was nearly an hour before the right flank guard rejoined the Battalion. This delay, as it was afterwards proved, was fatal to the Munsters, for all the time the French to the east were getting farther and farther distant, the German forces were getting closer and closer to our line of retreat, and our chances of escape were reaching vanishing point. The Brigadier�s orders for Charrier to retire never reached him, the orderly not being able to get through.

The battalion re-formed as a rear-guard, "B" and two platoons of "A" Company leading, followed by "D," and "C" bringing up the rear. While the battalion marched through Olsy, "C" Company, under Captain Rawlinson, held the outskirts of the village to keep off the enemy. Cavahy now appeared to the south � a somewhat ominous sign�but they were easily brushed aside by the accurate long-range fire of the Fusiliers� machine-guns. The 6th Reserve Dragoons were no greater fire-eaters than their brethren from Brunswick. The 2nd Guards Division had suffered two sharp checks already, but, seeing the main body of the rearguard passing through Oisy, they made a bold plunge for the two entrances to the village. Out crashed the rifle fire again, spurts of flame burst from two harmless-looking houses at the east end of the village, a bridge over which the Germans were forced to come was quickly blocked with dead and dying. Efforts made to surround the village were checked by the deadly fire of the two platoons holding it. Brilliantly supporting each other, Lieutenant Deane Drake and Sergeant T. Foley held on until escape seemed impossible. From the high ground to the south the action was clearly visible. Major Charrier sent back to offer assistance. No, "C" Company could finish its job without outside help, and finish it they did. Gradually man after man was withdrawn, and after a final burst of fire the gallant Irishmen leaped to their feet and ran for it. Once more the rebuff administered took out all the sting of the German pursuit, and "C" Company rejoined the Battalion without further interference.

All this time the main German advance was steadily continuing. The 19th Reserve Infantry Division (i.e., the other half of the 10th Reserve Army Corps), under the command of General Von Barfeldt, was advancing on the left (east) of the attacking Germans, and making for Guise, twelve miles to our rear. Coming within two miles of the action of Fesmy, this division hesitated, and then halted. What was this heavy firing to the north? Should not the enemy be to the south? Rumours of a big British counter-attack were rife. Was this it? Obviously the situation demanded cautious handling. A careful reconnaissance was ordered, and the march southwards discontinued. Signs of fighting were observed close by; a couple of badly wounded Munsters were brought in. Heavy rifle and artillery fire continued at intervals during the afternoon. Patrols were pushed forward cautiously toward the village of Etreux to the west, and the 6th Reserve Dragoons reported a heavy column moving southwards through Oisy Then at last the German General, a "dug-out" long past his prime, was galvanized into activity, and pushed on with all speed to Etreux to crush this presumptuous British force under the famous German hammer.

Major Charrier must by now have realized that the situation was very grave, and he gave orders for the withdrawal to be carried out in a formation which was probably completely original. He appears to have anticipated a sudden flank attack, and ordered the battalion to move along the shallow ditches on both sides of the Oisy-Etreux high road, whilst the two Munster machine guns took up a position on the road, firing up the human corridor thus formed at the enemy to the north. While the stream of lead flowed north, the column steadily marched south, and such was the accuracy of the fire that once more the enemy�s pursuit was checked, and yet no misdirected round fell near our own men, who were within a few feet of the direct line. In this way the Munsters approached Etreux. Suddenly, a few hundred yards in front of the advance guard (" B" Company), a party of men were seen to double across the road. Major Charrier, on perceiving this, ordered Captain Simms to brush aside this party of the enemy, which seemed to have taken refuge in a house on the west side of the road. He also ordered up the two field guns. The Munsters, ready as ever for a scrap, shook out and began working up on both sides of the road through orchards and fields.

The gunners whipped up their horses and galloped down the road. Crash! A German shell burst amongst the leading gun team, killing and wounding most of the horses and men. A second shell bit a small farmhouse the guns were passing at the time, and a murderous short-range rifle fire was opened from the south. The last avenue of escape was dosed. The Munsters were cut off. While the few remaining gunners, under the gallant Major Bayly, made desperate efforts to get their guns into action, Major Charrier went forward to the post of danger to organize an attack on the enemy holding the outskirts of the village, including a loopholed house on the side of the road. Passing the gunners, he called out, "Come on, Bayly, and put a round into that house. We�ll soon boost them out of that." As he went, his gigantic figure was rendered especially conspicuous by the khaki-coloured helmet with the green and white hackle of Munster, which he always wore. On still with a handful of officers and men, along the road to within a hundred yards of the loopholed house. Man after man dropped; the last unwounded gunner met his fate struggling to carry an 18-pounder shell to the gun, standing on the road, surrounded by a small heap of huddled-up bodies. The devoted group pushed on and gradually melted away. Back came Paul Charrier, still unwounded, to make yet one more effort. "C" Company was coming up from Oisy. Both Captain Rawlinson and Lieutenant Deane Drake were wounded; both gamely carried on. The company was brought up in support, leaving "D" Company in reserve, lining the ditches under fire from all points of the compass, but unable to reply to it. Supported by Captain Douglas Wise, the best of Adjutants, Lieutenant O�Malley and Lieutenant Moseley, the Commanding Officer led another dashing attack up the road. Once more the hail of lead was met, and one after another fell. Heedless of this, the remainder pushed on, until Captain Wise actually got up to the loopholed house, under cover of which the enemy was firing unceasingly, and, taking a rifle from one of the dead lying near, he fired through the loophole until knocked senseless by a blow on the head.

Again the attack failed; but Major Charrier was not the man to give in while hope still existed. Once more he collected a handful of men, and though now suffering from a severe wound, he again returned to the charge with a determination beyond all praise. Alas! this time was the last. Providence was tempted once too often, and the great soldier fell, riddled with bullets, Lieutenant Moseley being stunned by a bullet a few moments later. Dusk was now approaching, and it became difficult to distinguish friend from foe. A farmhouse near by caught fire, and its lurid flames added to the wildness of the picture.

While the attacks just described were proceeding, Company Sergeant-Major McEvoy, a fine old soldier, finding his company losing heavily in officers and men, ran back to get reinforcements, and returned down the bullet-swept road shouting, "Come on, boys; the Irish never lost a Friday�s battle yet." His officers, exposed to a terrible fire fell one by one, until the whole five made "the great sacrifice," headed by their dashing commander, Captain Simms.

The last phase was developing faster than it takes to tell. Perceiving the gravity of the situation, and without waiting for orders, Captain Jervis took the main portion of "D" Company over into the fields to the east of the road, in a desperate endeavour to break through the enemy drawn up due south, by prolonging the Irish attack eastwards. At first all went well; a dip in the ground favoured the movement; the company, moving in alternate waves, steadily advanced, firing at each halt. The farthest point reached by the other companies was reached and passed. Was this the weak spot at last? The company passed through an orchard, across a couple of fields, and discovered a thick hedge bordering the last field between it and the village. This was in reality lining the top of a steep cutting, at the foot of which lay the railway line. From the hedge, which provided admirable shelter to the enemy, a heavy fire was opened. The advance still continued methodically until the company approached to within 70 yards of the position. Then a sharp rifle duel ensued between the opposing sides, followed by a shrill whistle and the order to charge. Up got the Irish and dashed forward with a cheer, bayonets fixed. The enemy�s fire redoubled in vigour and took heavy toll of the company. Lieutenant Phayre fell cheering at the head of his men. Huge gaps appeared in the on-rushing wave; the survivors, reduced to a few groups, struggled forward a few yards, only to fall in their turn. One officer reached the hedge alive. Drawing his revolver, he accounted for six of his opponents in rapid succession; but, alas ! the last desperate effort to cut through the enemy had failed.

Many of the survivors of the various attacks fell back to the orchard near the main road. Captain C. R. Hall, of" A" Company, took command. Seeing the enemy pressing forward on the east, he ordered a charge. A small party of heroes sallied forth, and though the enemy were fifty to our one, they fell back, afraid to meet our cold steel. The little party then returned to the orchard. The enemy now formed a complete ring round the remnants of the battalion. Nine officers had been killed, and Captain Hall was shortly afterwards severely wounded. The command devolved on Lieutenant Gower. For the first time since early morning the machine guns were silent. Lieutenant Chute, having fought his guns to the last, was killed. Sergeant Johnson immediately assumed command, and continued firing until the last cartridge was used; then he took his beloved guns in turn, and smashed them to pieces. Ammunition was nearly exhausted, but the survivors, husbanding every round, lined the four sides of the orchard and kept the enemy at a distance. Lieutenant Moseley had recovered consciousness, and fought up to the last. It was now growing dark, and the situation was at length regretfully recognized as hopeless. Sounds of the expected reinforcements were listened for in vain, and our cup of bitterness was full.

At 9.15 p.m. a bare 240 men, including many wounded, staggered to their feet, with four unwounded officers. This was the remnant of the splendid battalion which had set out so full of hope that same morning. How long ago it seemed!

To do the German justice, he recognized and admitted the desperate bravery of his enemy. But when he ascertained the paltry numbers opposed to him, he was furious. The General blamed his subordinates. The battalion commanders said nothing, but thought volumes. The main body of the British Army had vanished to the south, and were by now twelve miles away. The famous German hammer had crashed on to the anvil and had crushed what? A butterfly, a battalion, a mere detachment; and a whole German army corps had been delayed! It surely was a fitting opportunity for the series of guttural expletives roared out into the night by the enraged Teuton. And this paltry detachment had, by their ill-advised obstinacy, caused great and unnecessary loss to the Fatherland. No less than 1,500 German wounded were assembled in the village of Etreux next day. It is not known how many casualties occurred earlier in the day in the other villages, but the number must have been considerable. So ended the action of August 27th, 1914.

When the last shot was fired a space of twelve miles separated our 1st Army Corps from the 10th German Reserve Army Corps; valuable breathing time and space had been procured, and the next morning the Germans were fourteen hours behind their programme. A few more such victories, and the enemy would have scarcely been in a condition to reach the Aisne, much less the Marne. That splendid soldier Paul Charrier, with some 110 of the Musters, lies buried in a peaceful orchard near Etreux, the scene of their exploit. May history accord to these heroes the merit they so richly deserve!

Additional notes.

On the proposal being put forward by the 2nd Battalion to erect a Regimental Memorial at Etreux, the following letter was received from the Secretary, Battle Exploits Memorial Committee,


"The action is likely to become the classical example of the performance of its functions by a rear-guard. The Battalion not only held up the attack of a strong hostile force in its original position, thereby securing the unmolested withdrawal of its Division, but in retiring drew on to itself the attacks of very superior numbers of the enemy. It was finally cut off at Etreux by five or six times its numbers, but held out for several hours, the remnant only surrendering when their ammunition was practically exhausted and only a small number of men remained unhurt. The survivors were warmly congratulated by the Germans on the fine fight they had made. No other claim to a memorial near Etreux is likely to be advanced, certainly nothing which would not take second place to the Munsters."

(Sgd.) C. T. Atkinson,

7/6/1919. Historical Section, C.I.D.

The 1st Infantry Brigade consisted of the following regiments -
2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers.
1st Bn. Coldstream Guards, 1st Battalion
Scots Guards, 1st Battalion. Black Watch


Note    N73-1159         Back to Index        Back to Lance Sargeant Eric Cecil Chute.

Notes on Lance Sargeant Eric Cecil Chute:

Eric Cecil Chute fought in World War I. His birth record has him being born in Woollahra, Australia, while his induction records have his birthplace as Sydney, Australia. His next of kin has his mother as "H.G. Chute"*, when in fact, that would be his father, Henry George. The reference to the location of "Tasmania" refers to the location of the second set of records.

*Oddly enough, Henry George arrived with an "H.G. Chute". There may be some connection between the "HG" who arrived with "Henry George" and the reference here. Birth records clearly state that his mother is Fanny; marriage records indicate that they were married in 1878 in Australia, so this reference is baffling. Further comments follow:
Chute Eric Cecil : SERN 900 :
POB Sydney NSW :
POE Sydney NSW :
NOK M Chute H G
Series number: B2455
Control symbol: CHUTE E C
Contents date range: circa 1914 - circa 1920
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3249072

Chute, Eric C, Lance Sergeant, Regimental Number 900, 3rd Battalion [Allotment file]
Series number: P1868
Control symbol: T12416
Contents date range: 1915 - 1920
Access status: Open
Location: Tasmania
Barcode no: 1543929

"Having looked at Eric Cecil Chute's entry on your database, I noticed his military rank is listed as Sergeant; in actual fact his record lists him as a 'Lance Sergeant', the intermediate rank between Corporal and full Sergeant.

Eric Cecil Chute's name is engraved on Memorial Panel number 35 of the Australian War Memorial.

Info source AWM Roll of Honour Database,

Lance Sergeant, 900, 3rd Battalion [1st Australian Division], Australian Infantry, A.I.F
Killed in action on Saturday 7 August 1915.
Aged 26.
**His name is commemorated on Special Memorial C. 95. LONE PINE CEMETERY, ANZAC Turkey
Info source Commonwealth War Graves Commission database

Lone Pine has 18 rows of graves mostly unmarked. Special Memorials to those known or believed to be buried there, form two long U-shaped rows in front of the Remembrance Stone. Lone Pine Cemetery stands on the plateau at the top of Victoria Gully, and is located on the road from Gaba Tepe to Chunuk Blair.

The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea. Every soldier at Gallipoli had a story to tell of the fighting, but one battle stands out because it was so fierce.

This was the battle fought at a place named Lone Pine by the Australian troops during early August 1915. The ridge line was given its name because when the Turks were making protective roofs for their trenches, they chopped down every tree except one. On hearing the signal to attack, the ANZAC troops jumped out of their trenches and raced across no-man's-land, the open stretch of land that separated them from the Turks. When they reached the Turkish trenches, they had to fight their way through logs and mud to get underground. When they finally broke through, there were so many soldiers they could not raise their rifles to fire. Much of the battle was hand-to-hand conflict. It took two days of the most intense and horrible fighting before Lone Pine was captured by the ANZAC's. The Australians lost 2273 soldiers, and the Turks lost at least 4000.

Info source ' Gallipoli a Battlefield Guide ', by P. Taylor & P. Cupper. Published 1989 by Kangaroo Press Sydney. ISBN 0 7318 0983 1.

The Australian War Memorial Roll of Honor

The names on the Roll of Honour have been replicated in the Roll of Honour database. Information for this database is based on the same card indexes used to compile the original Roll of Honour. The card indexes contain information transcribed directly from original records produced during or immediately after each conflict. The Roll of Honour database has been enhanced with information from further research and other sources. It also includes the panel number which refers to the bronze panels outside the Hall of Memory.

More than half of the database records have digital images of Roll of Honour circulars attached. For the First World War the circulars were forms sent to next of kin seeking details regarding the deceased. Unfortunately not all circulars were completed or returned for each person on the Roll of Honour. The digital images are stored in PDF format.

The attached image, I have created from the PDF file, this form appears to have been out by Eric's mother [circa 1920's] and returned to the AWM, so now you have a sample of her handwriting. Some of the entry is not all that clear and I have included an interpretation using the reference numbers for the lines on the form, I have added some notes in [ ] brackets.

Roll of Honour - Text from the PDF File
Roll of Honour - Photo of the PDF File
Particulars Required for the Roll of Honour of Australia in the Memorial War Museum.
1.  Eric Cecil Chute
2.  3rd Battalion, number 900
3.  Town Sydney, District Woolahara, State NSW (New South Wales)
Note: Woollahara is approximately 3-4 miles east of Sydney]
4.  Woolahara
5.   About 7th August 1915
6.   Lone Pine

Particulars Required for the Nations Histories
1.   blank
2.   26 [years of age]
3.   Fort Street School [history of school below]
4.   blank
5.   blank
6.   blank
7.   blank
8.   Brother, Lieut. C.H. Chute, killed Polygon Wood [France]
9.   F.C. Chute,  Relationship to soldier  Mother
10.   Address:  'Lyminge', Waratah Street, Katoomba, New South Wales
11.   Signature: Fanny Clara Chute, it's possible her husband was deceased as these forms were sent out in the 1920's I think, will endeavour to confirm. Katoomba is west of Sydney and is located in the Blue Mountains, a popular tourist region.
12.   blank

Fort Street's School History

In 1849 the Government of New South Wales established a Model School in the old Military Hospital, which had been built by Governor Macquarie in 1815. This building stood on Observatory Hill, the highest ground in the city near the site of Fort Phillip and the military barracks. It stands there today, the headquarters of the National Trust.

The school takes its name from a street which was partly incorporated in the playground during the reconstruction of the hospital and which disappeared when the approaches to the Sydney Harbour Bridge were built. The street name is perpetuated in the small street in Petersham, leading to our present school.

Fort Street was to be not only an institution where boys and girls of the colony could be taught, but it was also to serve as a model for all other schools. Its scholars were to play a most important role in the growth of the colony and in the federation of the nation. Students and staff were selected to attend the Model School. Their contribution is basic to the fabric of Australian society today.

The school became two high schools at the beginning of secondary education in NSW. At this time a headmaster and headmistress were appointed to lead Fort Street Boys and Fort Street High Schools. In 1916, Fort Street Boys' High was relocated at the present site on Taverners Hill, Petersham; the Girls' High School remaining on Observatory Hill. In 1975 the two schools were re-united as Fort Street High School on the new Petersham site.

Fort Street is proud to continue its co-educational traditions. We value the mix of young men and women learning together. Our young women thrive in this special co-educational, selective setting as leaders in all aspects of school life. The school celebrated its sesquicentennial in 1999. The current school population comes from over 100 suburbs in Sydney. Of the 930 students, over 600 come from language other than English. Students speak up to 40 different languages. Fort Street truly reflects multi cultural Australia.

Fort Street remains a selective high school providing a wide choice of subjects for study by talented young men and women. It is a school which has assimilated modern educational methodology whilst preserving the best in a long and honoured tradition.

Info source Fort St. School web site -

All research, handwriting translation and notes courtesy of James O'Sullivan.

Note    N73-1160         Back to Index        Back to Claude Henry Chute

Notes on Claude Henry Chute:

Link to Correspondence, Clyde Henry Chute to Margery Doyle, 1917

Claude Henry Chute's service records, also from World War I, again contradict his birth records, listing his Place of Birth as Sydney instead of Woollahra. Unlike his brother, is point of entry into the armed forces is Enoggera, in Queensland.

Chute Claude Henry : SERN LIEUT :
POB Sydney NSW :
POE Enoggera QLD :
NOK F Chute Henry George
Series number: B2455
Control symbol: CHUTE C H
Contents date range: circa 1914 - circa 1920
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3249066

Chute Claude Henry : SERN LIEUT :
POB Sydney NSW :
POE Enoggera QLD :
NOK F Chute Henry George
Item barcode: 3249066
Series number: B2455
Series accession number: B2455/1
Control symbol: CHUTE C H
Contents date range: circa 1914 - circa 1920
Extent Location National Office
Access status: Open
Reason for restriction:
Date of decision: 12 Apr 2001

With no further identification of the full name, I'm assuming this record pertains to Claude Henry Chute.

[Official History, 1914-18 War: biographical and other research files:] Churchill W, Chute C H, Cilento W A, Clack R O, Clammer R, Clancy D, Clancy J S, Clare G W B, Clareborough J A, Clareborough J W, Clarence E A, Clarendon-Hyde G, Clark A, Clark A A, Clark A G, Clark B A, Clark C A, Clark C F
Series number: AWM43
Control symbol: A152
Contents date range: 1914 - 1968
Access status: Open
Location: Australian War Memorial
Barcode no: 507336

Notes courtesy of James O'Sullivan:

"I am curious why no 'Particulars Form' was submitted, perhaps by 1917 his mother was dead, or the loss of a second son was just too much and the form was never attended to, but all this is conjecture, I will endeavour to obtain further information on the parents. Note on this N1160, has Claude Henry Chute enlisting at Enoggera QLD, Enoggera is a suburb of Brisbane and across the Brisbane River from where I live, Forest Lake. James.

Claude Henry Chute

Lieutenant, 31st Battalion, Australian Infantry, A.I.F. [Australian Imperial Force]. Killed in action Wednesday 26 September 1917. Aged 33. His name is commemorated on the YPRES MENIN GATE MEMORIAL, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Has no known or identified grave. Son of Henry George and Fanny Clara Chute, of "Lyminge," Waratah St., Katoomba, New South Wales. Native of Sydney. Brother of Lance Serjeant Eric Cecil Chute. From information supplied by Chute's mother, he was killed in action at Polygon Wood. [North East of Ypres Belgium]. Refer to Lance Serjeant Eric Cecil Chute's military record and the image of the form titled - 'Particulars Required for the Roll of Honour of Australia in the Memorial War Museum'.

Ypres (now Ieper) is a town in the Province of West Flanders. The Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town on the road to Menin (Menen) and Courtrai (Kortrijk). Each night at 8 pm the traffic is stopped at the Menin Gate while members of the local Fire Brigade sound the Last Post in the roadway under the Memorial's arches.

[Info source Ypres Memorial, CWGC [Commonwealth War Graves Commission] database].

To the best of my knowledge, no additional 'Particulars Form' was submitted to the Australian War Memorial, by next of kin for this officer.

The Menin Gate Memorial Ypres Belgium.

After the Armistice was signed in November 1918, there were notions to build some form of memorial in the Ypres area. The Belgian Government offered two sites to the British for their use as memorials - the ruined Cloth Hall and the Menin Gate site. However when it was decided to rebuild the Cloth Hall to it's original majesty, the option left to the British Government was the Menin Gate. The memorial was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and was built in the face of considerable construction difficulties, the spanning of the moat and the need to keep the road open to traffic. The Memorial was dedicated on July 24th 1927 by Field Marshall Lord Plumer, ten years after the terrible Third Battle of Ypres - the beginning of the campaign involving British and Australian troops, which ended with the capture of the village of Passchendaele by Canadian troops.

The Menin Gate is a prominent memorial, an integral part of the town of Ypres now spelt as Iepers, the Menin Road being the main thoroughfare passing through the Memorial, a daily reminder to the townspeople and visitors of the great sacrifice paid by British and Empire troops. Following the inaugural ceremony the last post was played by the Somerset Light Infantry, followed by a lament from the pipes of the Scots Guards.

It was this simple ceremony that prompted the local Superintendent from the Ypres police Force, Supt. Vandenbraamussche, to consider the idea of repeating the ceremony, following his discussions with the local Fire Brigade the ceremony was repeated nightly through the summer of 1928.

And so the tradition was born. With the exception of the period under which Ypres was occupied during the Second World War, the Last Post has been played every night since 11 November 1929.

During World War Two, the day the Germans were driven out of Ypres [6th September 1944], the ceremony was enacted that night.

[Refer montage image by J.O'Sullivan, Menin Gate].
[Info source Menin Gate, research by J. O'Sullivan].
[Menin Gate web page]

Polygon Wood
Named so because of it's shape, resembling a closed figure of many angles. Prior to 1914, this wood had been used as a firing range by the Belgian Army.

[Info source JOS]

"...During September and October in the baffles of Menin Road Ridge, Polygon Wood and Broodseinde, the British Second Army took all of its objectives and held them against determined German counter-attacks. The baffles were so effective that they caused Ludendorif great concern; he wondered whether or not the German line in the area could hold at all. The set-piece victories had once again emboldened Haig who, against Plumer's advice, decided to press for more, even though the rains had returned. The resulting deluge, referred to by some as a monsoon, transformed the battlefield once again into a nearly impassable wilderness of mud. Slogging through mud that often reached their waists, first ANZAC troops then Canadian troops strove to reach the top of the last ridge and the village of Passchendaele. Due to the muddy horror of this futile portion of the battle, many refer to the entire offensive as the Battle of Passchendaele rather than its proper name the Third Battle of Ypres. Some men fell into water-filled shell holes and due to their slippery sides were unable to clamber out and drowned. Wounded men struggled in the clinging mud only to be dragged down to their horrible deaths. The Germans added to the plight of the forlorn soldiers by using mustard gas for the first time in the war. It had all gone terribly wrong. One soldier remembers his experience at Passchendaele:

"...Mud. We slept in it, ate in it. It stretched for miles a sea of stinking mud. The dead buried themselves in it. The wounded died in it. Men slithered around the lips of huge shell craters filled with mud and water ... [On] each side of the track lie the debris of war ... Here an arm and a leg. It was a nightmare journey ... Finally dawn broke, a hopeless dawn. Shell holes and mud. Round about rifles with fixed bayonets stuck in the mud marking the places where men had died and been sucked down..."

In the end the brave Canadian units seized the ruined village of Passchendaele and the Third Battle of Ypres dragged to a halt. Estimates vary widely, but both sides suffered over 300,000 total casualties during the struggle. To many of the British, Third Ypres ranks with the Somme as one of the twin disasters of World War I. The first and last phases of the battle were misguided and horrific. However, often lost in the shuffle are the successful battles fought under Plumer's direction...".

[Info source Polygon Wood, The Illustrated History of World War 1, by Andy Wiest, published 2001 by Amber Books Ltd, London. ISBN 1 897884 70 2]
[Polygon Wood web page and photo]

Transcribed Letter: Claude H Chute

This letter was graciously transcribed and sent to us by Bruce Clydsdale of Australia. He had located correspondence between Claude Chute and his grandmother among his family's possessions and found this letter particularly poignant. Claude and Margery, despite a considerable age difference were good friends, and the friendship is evident in this charming, descriptive and detailed letter, written after he had been shipped to Europe as a soldier in World War I.

(From the pen of Lt. Claude H Chute, 31 Bat. 9th Reinforcement A. I. F. Envelope stamped Field Post Office 10 June 1917)

Dear Margery,

I promised the other day when I sent you the postcard that I would write a longer letter soon when I got time so now I have the time so here goes.

I arrived in England first in the first week of December and after coming through the tropics felt the cold tremendously and the whole time I was in England it was never done snowing and raining alternately, the snow was something beautiful really, but deep in places and lying on the ground for weeks together and cold some days no matter what you did you couldn't get warm. Luckily we had the warmest camp in Salisbury district at a place called Hurdcott near Wilton in Wiltshire and sometimes on Sunday we would motor down to Bournemouth at the sea side and used to have some pleasant evenings there.

Salisbury too was a great meeting place for Australians and the tea shops there on a Saturday afternoon were just like huge Officers Messes. Everything around the district was so fearfully old and just at the back of Hurdcott was an old Roman Camp and portion of the old city of Sarcum (Roman) still exists and the Cathedral itself in Salisbury is comparatively modern being built in 1322, and one could sit in the ------- Room of the "Haunch of Venison" with its blackened oak rafters and have a steak same as our ancestors did 700 years previously. The country is very pretty even in the winter round Hampshire and Wiltshire and I can only imagine what it what it looks like now with the Summer on.

Twice we were reviewed by George Rex while I was there, once at Fovant and once on the Bulford Plain. The latter was quite a large affair and about 40,000 Australians altogether took part in the march past and looked truly magnificent, the Artillery being particularly fine. Poor old George looked bored to distraction really and wasn't the least bit interested and I could have assured him neither were we as it was a bitterly cold day and we had three days marching to get there in the rain and they kept us standing and groaning for hours before he arrived.

I was in London three times for a few days each time there and had a lovely time there. Saw everything worth seeing and spent a lot of money each go and thoroughly enjoyed it. I ran into no end of Australians I knew more especially Queenslanders and of course we had lots of yarns to swap re. except that one was constantly reminded of it at meal times though it is hard to realise that there's a war on at England's back door. At meals though when you ask for a little more bread you would be reminded that "you've had your ration Sir" and even a bribe would produce no more from the waiter. Also it was pretty difficult for us to get a decent feed as Officers are limited to 5/6 (5 shillings and 6 pence-$ 0.55) for dinner and the soup would just about cut that out, however we used to get a girl or two to dinner and letting them sort of pass the cash under the table, then we could dine ad lib and I'm afraid some of the dinner bits would shock you. However you never know your luck in this game so eat drink and be merry re our motto. The thoughts of the grilled salmon at the Trocadero or a roast partridge at Ciro's makes my mouth water even now not that I've done too badly tonight. What do you think of this for a menu under shell fire. Hors d' Venores (Salmon or Sardines on toast), Pea Soup, Roast Sirloin and Baked Potatoes, Plum Pudding, and Custard with English Ale and Coffee, all nicely cooked. Of course we are not in the front line but in reserve in the rear.

I came over from England a couple of months ago landing in France after a quiet trip across the channel escorted by four destroyers and an airship besides a number of aeroplanes. I put in a couple of days at the base depot and then went on my way to join up with my battalion and have been with and since I have been with them we have never been "over the lid" as the boys call getting out of the trenches for an attack sometimes called a "hop-over". Of course we have done patrol work and wiring parties at night and is a most uncomfortable feeling just as you think you are getting on famously up goes a Fritz flare within a few yards and everyone immediately flops to the ground and waits for the machine gun to open on you and after a minute or so which seems hours, you get up and go on as you were not seen. Margery, anyone who ever tells you that they've never felt frightened is the biggest stuffer unhung. I don't care who the man is he gets the "wind up" sometimes and your heart gets tangled up with your teeth especially when a big shell bursts close and knocks you all over. I can tell you everyone sort of feels themselves to see where the blood is and are more surprised when they find no blood at all. And another thing, no man ever gets used to it, you can pretend you don't care after a bit but its darn poor bluff after all. As I'm writing now Fritz is putting over one or two big ones every now and then, there not doing any harm but they make a rotten yell coming over and give you the jumps until you hear them burst safe three or four hundred yards away. We are in reserve just at present and only in range of the big stuff and our artillery keeps him too busy in the front line for him to waste much time on us back here and its just a sort of spiteful swipe he makes at us. Last night there was a devil of a go in with the artillery and the air fairly screamed and tore for about 2 hours. I did curse him as I was sound asleep but when he started little Willy couldn't sleep until he stopped. However they did stop about 2am. Tonight except for the organisation you'd hardly know there's a war on and its lovely.

It hardly gets dark now as we have twilight and can play cricket up to 10pm and its broad daylight again about 3.30am so don't get much real night. We are camped in tents which are quite a treat. I don't know whether we will go into line again in this sector but are inclined to think not for a bit anyway as the present fighting has shifted further up north and they couldn't possibly keep us out of it. The Australians have certainly excelled themselves the last few months, they can call them all the "Rag-Time" armies they like but by gosh they can attack second to none and have played a leading part in all the big events and am sorry to say have had some very rough handlings but despite it all they seem to succeed in their objective which after all is the main thing in this game.

I suppose you are having good seasons same as Queensland. The last letters I had from them they were measuring the rain in feet and as it was as late as March they ought to have a lovely winter. My place must be nearly washed off the map of Australia as there have been tons of rain there. It is lovely over here now and the crops back behind me are growing beautifully, all the work is being done by women and decrepit old men. The destruction up this way is absolutely appalling and how the man who kept the corner pub is ever going to find it again goodness knows.

I haven't written many pages but have written very small and hope you can read it. I have no table to write on, only my knee. I have had a party out digging trenches all day and am fairly tired (I didn't dig I might say) so will bid you fond-night with best wishes and regards to all at "Werriston"* and "Purlewah"* not forgetting the lady at the bank.

Very Sincerely Yours,

Claude H Chute+

[Note from Bruce Clydsdale: Prior to enlistment indicates there was a close friendship between Claude and Margery Doyle# despite the age difference. They had attended social functions in southern Queensland (Longreach) together a number of times. Claude had a property at Jundah and worked on "Fairfield".

*Located just to the east of Werris Creek N.S.W. Home to Margery.
#Grandmother to Bruce Clydsdale
+Killed in action 26 Sept. 1917

Additional information provided by Bruce Clydsale:

"Family history wise, it is something I tend to pick up and work on as time permits.Currently the focus is on keeping our cattle alive due to the curret drought which is severe and looks like being long lasting.

I spent some time today looking at some of the correspondence from Claude to my Grandmother, Alice Marjory Doyle from late 1913 while she was at Sydney Church of England Girls School Darlinghurst(A suburb in the centre of Sydney) She would have been 16 years of age( b. 20 March 1897 Qirindi) and as stated previously, how they met is a question.

I had previously forwarded to you the correspondence from the front in France.

What may be of interest to you is details of his rural activities in western Queensland. Claude was the overseer of 'Fairfield' some 70 miles north of Longreach. The other thing I discovered is that he was allocated by ballot, a block of some 33,000 acres (his letter dated Nov. 1913) of a property called ' Wurringle' some 50 miles out of Jundah- as he writes, 'on the edge of nowhere' He also makes mention of the extension of the rail line which will lessen the isolation.

It is interesting that at the some time my Grandfather, John (Jack) Islay Clydsdale was overseer at ' Thurrulgoona' a very large station in S W Queensland south of Cunnamulla. He went away to WW1 1917 as a 35 year old man.

I thought I would pass this on to you."

Bruce Clydsdale

Sent Fri, Feb 7, 2014 5:17 am


Note    N1161          Index
George Thomas Chute was born in London, England and emigrated to Australia sometime before 1914.

Chute George Thomas : SERN 19176 5393 :
POB London England :
POE Ascot Vale VIC :
NOK W Chute Ellen
Series number
Control symbol: CHUTE G T
Contents date range: circa 1914 - circa 1920
Status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3249096


Note    N1162          Index
Eric Frederick George Chute was born and lived and Melbourne, and also fought in World War I. There may be a discrepancy on his first name, as he is listed as "Eric Frederick George", with a "CHUTE F G" control symbol, suggesting that his name was Frederick George, and that "Eric" may have been added to the record in error. He's been listed under both names in the Chute index, and he may be the same Frederick George from Australia already in the database.

Chute Eric Frederick George : SERN 5663 :
POB Melbourne VIC :
POE Melbourne VIC :
NOK W Chute Annie
Series number: B2455
Control symbol: CHUTE F G
Contents date range: circa 1914 - circa 1920
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3249076


Note    N73-1163         Back to Index        Back to Handley Chute and Hannah Chute.
Notes on Handley Chute and Hannah Chute:


Note    N1163          Index
Mella Mary Chute and George Hovick may reside in Queensland, Australia as they are quite recent (1969-1971). The nature of these records are not identified.

Movick, George;
wife Mella Mary [nee Chute] and children Emmaleen, Adrian, John, Henrietta
Series number: J25
Control symbol: 1969/17178
Contents date range: 1969 - 1971
Access status: Not yet examined
Location: Queensland
Barcode no: 5085607


Note    N1164          Index
Darrell Pierce Chute. His name may be spelled incorrectly, and should be spelled Darryl Pierce Chute. This is being substantiated. This individual is interesting ... although there may be no relation, I feel compelled to mention that there is a Darryl Chute, a music producer and songwriter, in Australia who may be a descendant of this Darrell - and the middle name of "Pierce" suggests the connection with the Irish Chutes, specifically "Pierce Thomas Chute" whose photo appears in the database, mentioned by his brother John William Chute. I'm assuming the next of kin, in this case, is actually Lily Bennett and not Bennett Lily - the order of NOK ("next of kin") names (first, last or last, first) varies in different records.

Service Number - NX96939 :
Date of birth - 23 May 1914 :
Place of birth - BALLINA NSW :
Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW :
Next of Kin - BENNETT LILY
Series number: B883
Control symbol: NX96939
Contents date range: 1939 - 1948
Access status: Not yet examined
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 5670717


Note    N1165          Index
This George Chute may or may not be the same individual as George Thomas Chute. The nature of the Civil Construction project with which he was involved is not specified, nor whether he lived in the region (Western Australia) where it took place.

CHUTE George [Civil Constructional Corps file]
Series number: K1291
Control symbol: 815
Contents date range: circa 1942 - circa 1946
Access status: Open
Location: Western Australia
Barcode no: 3102821


Note    N1166          Index
Members of the Ellis family may be related to the Chutes of the Vyne. The connection is being researched.

RANR record of service - PM4732, Ableseaman, ELLIS Thomas Chute
Series number: A6770
Control symbol: ELLIS TC
Contents date range: 1942 - 1945
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 4786362


Note    N1167          Index
There are several individuals with both Chute and Erson names attached to them. Edward Francis Erson was born in Douglas, England, and then joined the military in Adelaide, Australia. His next of kin, Betty Finlay (S) may be his sister, as spouses are usually identified as "W".

Erson, Edward Francis Chute Leger : SERN 3230 :
POB Douglas England :
POE Adelaide SA : NOK S Finlay Betty
Series number: B2455
Control symbol: ERSON E F C L
Contents date range: circa 1914 - circa 1920
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3544138


Note    N1167          Index
John Chute Ellis is probably the brother of Thomas Chute Ellis.

RAAF Service Record - 418080 Flight Lieutenant ELLIS, John Chute
Series number: A9300
Control symbol: ELLIS JC
Contents date range: 1944 - 1997
Access status: Open with exception
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3360070


Note    N1168          Index
It's not evident in this record if Kathleen Chute Erson has, like Edward Francis Chute Leger Erson, the Chute name as part of her maiden name, or was born a Chute and has married into the Erson family. This record is for a copyright issued to Kathleen Chute Erson, who went by the nom de plume "Henriette Andante". This copyright was for a musical work entitled, "Echoing Voices".

AUTHOR Henriette Andante (Kathleen Chute Erson) and Margaret Nicol (Margaret Corbet) :
ADDRESS Adelaide :
TITLE OF WORK Echoing Voices :
TYPE OF WORK Musical Work :
APPLICANT Kathleen Chute Erson and Margaret Corbet (nom de plume M. Nicol) :
Series number: A1336
Control symbol: 6425
Contents date range: 1918 - 1918
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 3439391


Note    N1170          Index
John Coleman Chute:

AUTHOR John Coleman Chute :
ADDRESS Oldham, England :
TITLE OF WORK East Lynne : TYPE OF WORK: Dramatic Work :
APPLICANT John Pitt Hardacre :
Series number: A1336
Control symbol: 3069 Contents date range: 1913 - 1914
Access status: Open
Location: National Office
Barcode no: 4823253


Note    N73-1171          Index

Notes on Arabella Chute:

The passenger below may reflect the emigration of Arabella Chute, daughter of Francis Chute and Arabella Denny in Chute Hall, but she appears in the passenger list of the "Duke of Newcastle" without the presence of other Chutes - or Denny's either, for that matter. Women of her status would not have traveled alone in 1865, so the next question would be: who was she traveling with? If this is the same Arabella Chute, we can closely approximate her birthdate as ~1846, if she is listed as being the age of 19 in this record.

The "B" in the record represents the Port of Entry in Victoria. Without a key provided on the web site, it can only be guessed that that would be Brisbane.

The other possibility is that this record does not refer to this Arabella at all, but is in fact the Arabella Denny Chute who married a "Pierce Chute", as recorded in the Cork Examiner. As some Australians trace their descent from a "Pierce Chute" (as yet unidentified), this should be considered strongly.

Age: 19
Arrival: 1865 OCT
B, 251, 4


Note    N1172          Index

Michael Chute: there are three records on Michael - the only problem with these records is that they never address - or at least not in these database summaries - what became of him. I haven't found a record of him on a convict passenger list yet, or on any prison release voucher lists, so without looking at the original source documents, it's difficult to tell if this was an application that was accepted, or denied, or if he actually went to Australia, and was later released. I would wonder if the stigma attached to someone convicted of rape held true in Ireland (and Australia) during that time period, as it does now. If so, his mother may have made the petition for his own safety, although imprisonment in Australia might not have been much of an improvement, if that were the case.

Michael would have been born, according to these records, in Cork, ~1824. We can only hope he survived the experience and went on to live a full, productive - and law-abiding - life - wherever he went.

Record 1 of 3

AGE: 20
TRIAL DATE: 31/07/1844
DOCUMENT DATE: 14/09/1844
SENTENCE: Transportation life commuted 7 yrs
PETITIONER: Margaret Chute

Sentenced commuted to transportation for 7 years. Petitioner's residence given as Doneraile, Co. Cork.

Record 2 of 3
AGE: 0
TRIAL DATE: 31/07/1844

Record 3 of 3

AGE: 0
DOCUMENT DATE: 27/01/1845


Note    N1173          Index

Notes on Henry George Chute and Fanny Clara Lockyer Chute:

Henry George Chute arrived in Brisbane on the Thomas Stephens in January 1872. There are two records of two individuals, on the same voyage, which might be this Henry George Chute:

CHUTE    H G    23    1872    JAN    THOMAS STEPHENS    B   308    2
CHUTE    HY   GEO    30    1872    JAN   THOMAS STEPHENS    B    308   2

Depending on which H G or HY GEO he was - we suspect the second of the two - he would either have been born in 1842 or 1849.


Note    N1174          Index

Notes on Robert, Lucas & William de Shete:

Shute, St Michael

The earliest record of the church is a Deed of Bishop Marshall (1194-1206) which refers to ecclesia de Colinton et Cappella de Schieta proving the early foundation of the chapel. There are other records of 1269 when a vicar was endowed with the whole attalage of the church of Colyton and its chapel at Shute. And in July 1301 when a visitation was held at Shute and a report given as to the state of the chapel and contents. In 1205 the men of Devon paid 5,000 marks to King John to have the county disafforested, all but Dartmoor and Exmoor, and sometime afterwards the Manor of Shute was created out of the waste land, and given to Lucas de la Shute (or Schiete), who built a manor house and church. The builders of Shute Chapel, taking as their model the mother church of Colyton erected a cruciform building with and Early English centre tower.

The church bears evidence of three architectural periods: Early English, Perpendicular and Hanoverian. The font is 15th century, probably later re-dressed. There is Devonshire foliage on the 15th century capitals in the side chapel, and the heraldic glass in the same chapel is early 17th century. The earliest parish register dates back to 1568. There were three bells in the tower in 1553 which survived until 1760 when a licence was granted to cast three bells into four and add another to make a peal of five. A sixth bell was added in 1923.

The statue of Sir William Pole in the Lady Chapel is a good piece of statuary of its kind.

From the Coffin Family:

"I'm afraid that I can't help much with your Robert de Shete. He was the son of Lucas de Shete, and Roesia Coffin was the daughter of Elias Coffin of Ingarly (now Inwardleigh), a large manor with a "fair deer park" not far from Hosworthy in Devon. This is not our line [i.e., not the ancestral line of the Coffin researcher] who held the manor of Portledge from about 1200 until the mid 1990's. There is a question about which of these families was the senior but some of us think they are related and the Ingarly line the senior and that Portledge came to a Coffin by marriage to an heiress of Count Mortain who held Alwington where Portlege sits at the time of Doomsday.

There is a record of a deed from Alice, wife of Elias to Robert de Shete and Roesia, daughter of Alice Coffin. This is for the manor of Combe Coffin, one of several held by Elias Coffin. Combe Coffin is near Axminister, about 20 imiles NE of Exeter, Devonshire. This information comes from Devon Feet of Fines; Volume I, Richard I to Henry III 1196-1272 by The Reverend Oswald J. Reichel, pub at Exeter by The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1912. This was Fine 277 on p138. The fine was dated "At Exeter, 15 dys from the day of St. John the Baptist un rhe 22nd year od King Henry (19 July 1238)." This was a marriage dowry so if she was born 1210 as you said,she must have been 27 or 28 when she married, very unusual in those times."

And from another researcher, Ria Mimmack, from an e-mail to Steve Chute. Note there is already a conflict between the names of Robert's father: the record above makes him the son of Lucas, the following makes him the nephew of Lucas, and the son of "William". Still no names above or below this family, linking them to an Edward or an Alexander:

"I also wondered if the SHUTES came from Shute Parish and searched the Parish Registers:

Baptisms 1568-1827
Marriages 1561-1837
Burials 1562-1837

Not a Shute or variant to be found and none on the Muster Roll.

There is an interesting book that you may be able to borrow from a Public Library:
"The Story of Shute" by M.F. Bridie.
Pub. by Shute School Ltd. Axminister 1955.
Reprinted in 1995 by Creeds the Printers, Broadoak,Bridport, Devon, England. DT6 5NL

Quote from above book (page 3)

The name of the manor is variously written in ancient documents as "Shieta," "Schute," and "Shete." The earliest recorded dwellers here were Sir William and his brother Sir Lucas, and William's son Robert, who took their surnames in traditional fashion from their dwelling-place at Schete and were known as "des Schetes." The meaning of the word is variously interpreted but is probably connected with parklands on a hill, for there is a reference in the Disafforestation Charter which concerned this part of the county."

[Note: Recall that our oral tradition has our Robert building the manor that Alexander lived in. The manor being described here is Shete Manor - not the same structure as Shute Barton; if this is the same Robert, he would have been born and raised at Shete Manor, but built another home for himself - possibly closer to Taunton. I'd be interested in looking at those "other interpretations" of the name, as Chutes have been fairly emphatic in their insistance that the name did NOT come from the old English word for forest. Jackie]

"Apparently some, at any rate, of their lands were leased, for The Hundred of Colyton in early Times, an ancient document is quoted as saying that Lucas de Schete had his rent raised in 1228.

Some of the Schetes still lived here during the reign of Henry III but when the Bonvilles settled in the Colyton district they soon became the most important family, till the arrival of the Courtenays."

"The name Schete is mentioned again briefly on pages 8 & 9 but otherwise the book is about the Bonvilles and Poles.

William Bonville built The Manor House at Shute about 1380, with bits added and altered over the years. The House is now known as Shute Barton and is in the care of the National Trust."

"When I was looking for Shute Wills at Exeter R.O. I came across one made by Edward CHUTE, of Exeter, 6th Dec 1788. It was very long, mentioning property and land in Exeter and Somerset. It didn't have any links to our Shutes from the South Hams, but it may link into your Chutes. If you are interested, the reference number was D5/27/22.

[Note: I'm not sure who this is yet, either -- may be one of our Coombs St. Nicholas Chutes' descendants. Jackie]

Hope this of some help, please keep in touch."

Best wishes



Note    N1175          Index

Notes on Dianna Chute Kenneally:

The record is an application for a patent in New Zealand for an "Improved Product Dispenser with Enlarged Non-Dispensing Application/Distribution Surface". (No, I have no idea what that means, either, but it sounds quite useful.) One of its inventors was a New Zealand employee of the Procter & Gamble Company, a Dianna Chute Kenneally.

Patent Number 266929
Current Status Voided Pre-Acceptance
International Application Number PCT/US94/04769
WO Publication Number WO95/24141
Patent Type Patent PCT Inward
Patent Title: Improved product dispenser with enlarged non-dispensing application/distribution surface
Filed 28-APR-1994
Nat 03-SEP-1996
Date Country App No:
09-MAR-1994 United States of America 94 209032
Schedule and Edition
No documents on record or public access is restricted
Applicant: THE PROCTER & GAMBLE COMPANY. One Procter & Gamble Plaza, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, United States of America
Contact : A J PARK . 6th Floor, Huddart Parker Building, 1 Post Office Square, Wellington, New Zealand
Service Address :
No address
Action Completed
Application Abandoned 27-APR-1998
Filed 28-APR-1994
Dornbusch, Arthur Harold
Kenneally, Dianna Chute
Taylor, JoAnn Lee


Note    N1176          Index

Notes on Cpl J J J Chute:

[War Crimes and Trials - Affidavits and Sworn Statements:]

Statements by VX51176 Sgt G Chisolm; NX505080 Capt JWS Chisholm; NX72603 Pte B Choice; NX34807 Capt RH Chown; QX19990 Gnr R Christie; VX36425 Sgt TW Christopherson; Lia Thai Chuan (Hokien); No Number, Lt-Com Chubb; VX58456 Cpl JJJ Chute; WX10945 Drv A Clark; VX64170 Drv DH Clark; QX17307 HV Clark; NX48140 Pte R Clark; QX22806 Major BLW Clark; QX18215 Pte WR Clark

Series number AWM54
Control symbol 1010/4/32
Contents date range 1945 - 1947
Access status: Open
Location: Australian War Memorial
Barcode no: 478861


Note    N1177          Index

Notes on Hilary Therisa Chute: Her record was located in an Intellectual Properties database - the patent was issued to her, among others, for "B7-LIKE MOLECULES AND USES THEREOF". Hilary is an employee of AmGen, Inc., based in Thousand Oaks, California, which specializes in oncology, genomics and other areas of pharmaceutical and medical research.

Requested Patent: WO0200710 A
Publication date: 2002-01-03
Application Number: WO2001US20719 20010628
Priority Number(s): US20000214512P 20000628; US20000729264 20000628
IPC Classification: C07K14/47
Data supplied from the esp@cenet database - wo


Note    N1178          Index

Notes on William Norton Chute Ellis: "This list of graduates of Otago University, New Zealand has been transcribed from "The Calendar for the Year 1920".

Transcribed in Auckland New Zealand 29th October 1993 by Marianne Philson.

ELLIS, William Norton Chute    B.A.    1909    19


Note    N1179          Index

Notes on Alice Maud Chute and William Henry Chute. At this point there are two records: the first is a marriage record between Alice Maud Chute and John Cantwell in 1936, and the second is this military record of the death, in 1940, of a William Henry Chute, born 1906, whose mother was Alice Maud Chute.

The theory that there are two Alice Maud Chute's, one the daughter of the other, is based on this death record - if the marriage to John Cantwell represented a second marriage for Alice Maud Chute, not the first, she probably would have been identified as Alice Chute Cantwell, or Alice Maud Cantwell by the time of her son's death in 1940. This theory has many potential pitfalls in it (i.e., she could have re-married after his enlistment and records were never changed; this could be a relative with the same name), but until more information on this family comes to light, I will assume that there are two Alice Maud Chute's, and that the Alice who married John Cantwell in 1936 was named after her mother.

The military record of William Henry Chute and following notes are courtesy of James O'Sullivan:

[World War Two soldier]
Private, VX28859, Australian Army Service Corps who died on Sunday 6 October 1940, aged 34.
Cause of death, Illness. Place of death Australia.
Son of Alice Maude Chute, * of ** Waubra. R.C. Plot. Compt.
[*The above is from the additional information entry on the CWGC database.I assume from this info, his mother was deceased. JOS]
Grave reference, O. Grave 650.
FAWKNER MEMORIAL PARK Victoria, Australia.
[Fawkner web page]
[Info source, combined records Commonwealth War Graves Commission and Australian War Memorial databases].

**Waubra is about an hour's drive north-west along the Sunraysia Highway from Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. The small sheep country town of Waubra boasts two churches, a pub, a general store and a bowling green.

[Link to map page]


Note    N73-1180         Back to Index        Back to Rev. Clarence Linam Chute and Jean Elizabeth Richardson Chute.

Notes on Rev. Clarence Linam Chute and Jean Elizabeth Richardson Chute:

Biographical Sketch, Rev. Clarence Linam Chute

The Rev. Clarence Linam Chute served in France in 1918-1919. He was a student minister in Saskatchewan for one summer, second summer at Indian Harbour, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, where he met Jean Richardson. Another year at Greenfield, Queens County, Nova Scotia, where he was ordained in 1924. Jean's father Isaac died during the flu epidemic of 1918. Jean worked in an office at Simpsons until her marriage.

He attended Mount Hermon, 1914-1917 and Gordon College of Theology & Missions, where he graduated in 1923. The family lived in Port Medway, Little River, Caledonia, Debert, South Ohio and Tiverton, in Nova Scotia, Canada."

Source: Earl Burton Chute, 2003

Correspondence, between Rev. Clarence Linam Chute and George Maynard Chute, Jr.

Debert, N.S.
Mar. 3, 1952

Mr. George M. Chute
546 Garfield Avenue, Plymouth, Mich.

Dear Mr. Chute �

Several years before his death father gave me his copy of the 1894 �Genealogies of the Chute Family�. It is interesting to know that there is one of �our family� that is undertaking to bring that work up to date and I am glad to help the little that I can.

My grandfather�s name occurs on Page 161 after 198 James William Chute and my father is II James Lyman in the list of seven children. However, from the time I knew anything father was always Linam or L. Chute. He was married 1891 instead of 1890 I believe, and there were just the two of us boys.

Nelson had Ralph whose address is 55 Mary Street, Quincy, Mass. He has one son � Nelson.

Edmund had no children but adopted Elbert, son of his sister Sophia, and he lives in Worcester, Mass. Edmund is the last of the family living in Worcester. My brother would have his address. Would be glad to hear from you anytime.


C.L. Chute

PS: Glad to know of the Chutes in the Baptist ministry.

Tiverton, Digby Co., N.S.
Mar 7/66

Dear Mr. Chute

My health and age called for my retirement from active pastorate nearly two years ago. We live in a fishing village on an island just off the tip of Digby Neck I used to know who lived in nearly every house that I can see across the Passage as I was pastor at Little River etc. for 13 years, nearly. Thanks to U.S. Vets pension and old age security pension we are quite happy and comfortable here. We hope to visit daughter Jean & family in B.C. this summer and also see Royce. He likes to vacation in B.C. He was here for a few days in 1964 soon after we came here.

May you have a happy retirement and success in completing or bringing up to date the Chute genealogy.

I have recorded your address and will send you anything that might be of interest.

If you travel this way again, we would be pleased to have you and yours call on us.


C. L. Chute

PS: Mrs. Chute reminds me that the name of Glenn's eldest is Elizabeth April. She is called April, so I forgot.

What is your son Earl's present address?
Middleton, N.S. Son Robert Charles born [Private].

His occupation?
Co-Partner, Andrews Department Store.

Royce's address?
6183 Overdale Avenue, Oakland, A 94605

He is single?

Has Jean remarried?
Yes. Mrs. Neil Byers, Moyie, B.C. Her boy, C. Craig now near 7 years old.

Has Joyce children later than Sheree Lynn Graham?
Yes. Patricia Gail, born [Private].

Has Glenn children later than April Elizabeth?
Yes. Charlotte Marie, born [Private], Penny Darlene, born [Private].

Where does Glenn live?
South Ohio, Yarmouth County, N.S.

Is he still with the "Bluenose"?
No. He has been with the Yarmouth Ice Cream Dairy Company, Yarmouth, N.S. for a number of years.

Your brother Charles Earl lives where?
Middleboro, Mass 02326, Box 71, 167 Bedford Street. His wife Agnes died Feb. 23, 1966.

Do you know of other Chute data of recent years?
Ralph Chute, 55 Mary St., Quincy, Mass. His wife Pearl died Feb. 5, 1966. His son Nelson married 1964, lives in Norwood, Mass.

Tiverton, Nova Scotia
Oct. 4, 1968

Mr. George M. Chute
546 Garfield Avenue
Plymouth, Mich.

Dear Mr. Chute

Retiring in 1964, after a heart attack, wife and I are living happily now in this fishing village just off the tip of Digby Neck, 30 miles from Digby. Looking over my 1894 Chute Genealogy, I found 3 of your letters of 1952 and '54, so venture to write. Sometime ago, I cut out from The Digby Courier a clipping copied from the Halifax Chronicle-Herald re: Mrs. Ira McCormick of Bear River, N.S. She has started, well started, tracing genealogies of Nova Scotian families, "This work fills more than 160 typed and bound volumes to which additions are made almost daily - a full-time hobby." She is especially interested in her mother's family (Chute) and is trying to bring that 1894 genealogy up to date. I should have sent this information to you long ago. However, you may know of Mrs. McCormick's interest.

Our family, to date:

Earl and wife: Middleton, N.S.. David - at Mt. Allison University. Cathy - high school. Robert - about 3 years old.

Royce - Oakland, California. While there (Sept '66) I saw a Miss Chute listed in Oakland Phone directory.

Jean, Mrs. Neal Byers, Moyie, B.C. Husband at Canada Customs, Kingsgate. Son Craig, 9 years.

Joyce, Mrs. Wm. Graham., Shearwater, N.S. Husband with Fairy Aviation. Debbie, Janet, Sheree, Patricia.

Glenn & wife - Calgary, Alberta. April, Charlotte, Penney.

My brother Charles lives yet on Bedford St. in Lakesville, address Middleboro. His wife died.

Hoping that this note finds you well and happy. I am yours sincerely,

C.L. Chute

546 So. Evergreen
Plymouth, Michigan
Oct. 8, 1968

Rev. C. L. Chute
Tiverton, N.S.

Dear Mr. Chute,

Your letter today is very welcome, and I'm glad to learn that you are enjoying your retirement, as I also enjoy mine.

Since you continue to refer to your copy of the 1894 Genealogy, I enclose two pages of an Outine to the book, which may help you to trace relationships - I use it often.

In March of 1966, I sent you a list of questions about your family, which you answered, together with a nice letter on the back of it, mentioning your move to Tiverton. So your family information now appears on page 17 (which I enclose) of my 126-page sheets which I call "Chute Family in America in the 20th Century". I sent about 100 copies of this to various Libraries in North America, including a copy to Acadia University, one to Public Archives in Halifax, one to Yarmouth Museum at 584 Main Street, and one to Annapolis Royal in their Fort Anne Museum. This was done last December.

Thanks for telling me about Mrs. Ira McCormick of Bear River. I saw a copy of the clipping you mention, and I sent her a set of my pages, to help her in any publication she may undertake. We have exchanged several letters.

I think my page 17 is nearly up to date, except that Glenn's family has moved from So. Ohio to Calgary.

We recently returned from a 3-week train trip to California, returning by San Francisco and Vancouver, on the CN Railway to Toronto, to Detroit.

All are well here. I expect to be kept happily busy the next two years, as I must revise one of my textbooks, "Electronics in Industry". Will require lots of study.

Many thanks for keeping in touch.


George M. Chute

Previous Page
Next Page