Hazel Park Historical Commission -Business Photos

Photo Index-Businesses

Photo Categories



Clubs & Organizations

Street Scenes

City Buildings & Parks


Plat Maps



Clubs & Organizations

City Records


Other Transcriptions

Commission Links

About Us

What's New

Contact Us

Related Links

Related Links

Many businesses have called Hazel Park home over the years, Here are some views of these businesses.Click on the underlined link to view the picture, use your browser's back button to return here.

NEW - Ice cream palaces of Hazel Park, Dairy Queen, circa 1957, and Dairy Park 1972.

The sign from the 8 mile Elias Brothers store, from the 60's
And continuing with the burger theme, Burger Chef on 
John R from the 60's

Hocking Standard Station on 8 Mile Road 1962

Tony's Barber Shop interior, currently home to Shellnut Hair Care Center 

Dixie Drive In Waitreses, probably at the 8 Mile store. Hope to identify these people soon.
A second photo of the Oakdale Theater on 8 Mile Road

Another photo of the Farmhouse on 9 Mile

Interior Shot of Dick and Bud's circa 1957

Marinco drugstore 1957 on Vassar

Harmony House interior photo

Ray's Firestone on John R near Stephenson (S Chrysler)

A business on John R. An example of what existed in the 30's and 40's.

Service Stations- Gas stations in Hazel Park were plentiful. In 1950, the Mayor stated that there were 30 gas stations in the city. We have some examples of these here.
Bedenko Service station originated on 9 Mile and Easterling, then relocated to it's present location on 9 Mile and Dequindre.
Bud And Al's Gulf  was on John R and Goulson. Popp's gas station on 9 and Stephenson .
Movie Houses- In the days before television, motion pictures were very popular. Here in the city, we had 3 theatres, the Hazel Park, the Oakdale, and the Cambridge Mall.
All are gone now.

Restaurants- Many restaurants have come and gone here. The Farmhouse, sited where the Arbor Drug store is on 9 Mile and Russell, Claramay's on John R and Stephenson, the Dairy Bar on Stephenson Highway, the original Duke's Fish And Chips on John R and 8 Mile, The Dixie Drive In, owned by the Elias Brothers, pictures of their grand opening, outside view during WWII, and interior view.
Grimm's Dairy as well as the Pizza Hut (love that juke box).Also the Chuckwagon Drive In on Stephenson, and De Angelo's on 9 Mile, formerly Duke's Fish & Chips, now Jackie's.(Sent by Jim Walker)

Retail Stores- Henry's retail store, also known as John R Dept. Store, was in the space now occupied by the new development at John R and 9 Mile. Also in this area was Gail's Jewelry, and Food Fair Market. In the Food Fair photo, you can also see Vi's Rex Pharmacy, as well as the Sinclair Gas station on the corner where City Hall now stands.

The Moon Nightclub - The building which houses the Hazel Park Eagles Club started out as a nightclub called the Moon. This is a pic of three waitresses from the club, from the early sixties.

Views Of various businesses that are no longer there. The Dairy Bar on Stephenson,  , 2 views of Fine Arts Drugs on 8 Mile, interior and exteriorCarl Graves Appliance on John R and Goulson, Packers Market on 8 Mile and Caledonia, Holbrook Market on 8 Mile.
Gail Jewelery, John R Dept Store, the Stephenson Club , People's State Bank,  the first Harmony House exterior and interior

And some that the buildings still exist, although in different forms. Hitchcock Real Estate, Olar's now a party store, A Ford dealer, was Draper Building Supply, now a marble supplier, Hopcroft Funeral Home, a concept of Hazel Park Bowl , Albaugh Motors,  The former pizza shop next to Pi's Thai on John R and 10 Mile,  and a view of theHazel Park Racetrack from the early 50's.

A photo of a lumber yard which was on John R near Otis.