|Letters from Tom Hayes' Letters of the Civil War site (apparently inactive)|
via local links:
- Report from the Bayou Teche, Boston Herald, April 23, 1863
- Fort Bisland evacuated, Boston Herald, April 28, 1863
- With the Army of General Banks, Boston Traveller, May 5, 1863
- 38th Massachusetts Action from the Cambridge Chronicle, May 30, 1863
- The death of Charles E. Tenney, Worcester Aegis and Transcript, June 6, 1863
- The first assult on Port Hudson, Worcester Aegis and Transcript, June 13, 1863
- The 53rd Arrives Home, Worcester Aegis and Transcript, August 29, 1863
|Other Letters and Diaries|
- Diary of Marvin Adams
- Diary and Letters from and to Thomas Augustus Hills
(pdf files from typed copies supplied by John W. Hager)
- Diary of Thomas Gardner Lesure
- Letters from Silas W. Browning
- To his Wife and Daughter Sarah, June 21 & 22, 1863
- To his Wife, June 28-30, 1863
- To his Wife, July 7-9, 1863
- To his Wife and Daughter Clara, July 10, 1863
- To his Wife, July 25 & 26, 1863
- To his Daughter Sarah, July 26, 1863
- Letter to Levi Parker from his mother
- Captain Joel Stratton's memoirs (It's back, local link).
|From August 2 to August 16, the New Orleans Daily True Delta published |
a series of articles describing the Port Hudson siege, taken from the diary
of Howard C. Wright, a Confederate lieutenant in the 30th Louisiana Infantry
of the Port Hudson garrison. The text was also published in book form in 1937,
and reissued in 1978. See this National Park Service site for further information.
Spelling etc. is original. The Daily True Delta did not publish on Mondays.
|More information about Lt. Howard C. Wright is available here.