Introduction to the Bernard Family of Carlow, Laois and Offaly, Ireland
Charles Bernard of Carlow born circa 1638 - died 1668 (Children: Thomas John and Philip)
Thomas Bernard and Deborah Franks (Children: Charles, Franks, Elizabeth, Joseph and Anne)
Philip Bernard (1668-1721)
Charles Bernard of Laois (Queen’s Co). (Eldest son of Thomas and Deborah)
Franks Bernard of Carlow (Second son of Thomas and Deborah)
Joseph Bernard of Carlow (youngest son of Thomas and Deborah)
Thomas Bernard of Castletown, Offaly (Son of Joseph and Mary)
John Bernard of Carlow (Son of Joseph and Mary)
William Bernard of Carlow (Son of Joseph and Mary)
Thomas Bernard of Carlow (Son of William and Mary)
Arthur O’Brien Bernard of Carlow and the Isle of Man (son of Thomas and Anne)
Bernards of Tullow, Aghade, Newstowne and Rathrush, Co Carlow
Franks Bernard (the elder) was born about 1689 in Carlow and died in 1760. Most of his descendants were living in Clonmulch, about 8 kilometres south of the Town of Carlow. He attended Trinity College Dublin.
“[Franks] Bernard (mistranscribed as Francis), Pen. [i.e. fee-paying] (Mr Young, Carlow)[his tutor], July 11, 1705, aged 16 [admitted]; s. of Thomas, Generosus [Gentleman]; b. Oldtown, Co. Catherlogh.” (Ref: Alumni Dublinensis.)
Franks (the elder) married Elizabeth probably about 1707. Elizabeth Bernard, widow of Franks, is mentioned as a beneficiary of an annuity in a deed in 1761 (1).
They had one son and four daughters:
- Franks Bernard (the younger) born about 1708, died 1782. He married Susanna Bunbury, probably about 1720. She died some time before 1735 leaving him with seven children.
- Thomas Bernard * (born about 1728, died about 1757). He is described in various deeds as living in Cloghristic which is adjacent to Clonmulch. He married Mary ? (possibly Bambrick) in 1746. He died when their children were still minors. His daughters were made wards of Franks Bernard by the court. Later, his widow Mary married Thomas Bernard of Castletown in 1768.
- Mary Bernard m. ? Roberts.
- Philip Roberts
- Frances Bernard,
- Susanna Bernard (b. about 1754, died 1835) m. in Oct 1773, to Hardy Eustace, Esq. (who died in1820), Hardy Eustace was previously married (1770) to Catherine (Kitty) Bernard, daughter of Philip Bernard
Children of Hardy and Susanna Eustace: James Hardy Eustace; Hardy, Capt.;Thomas Lieut.; Frances; Catherine; Elizabeth; Bridget and Anne (twins); Susanna; Mary, m. Charles Bernard. (youngest son of Franks Bernard of Clonmulsh)
- Catherine Bernard
- Mary Bernard. Born about 1729 Died 1745
- Franks Bernard* b.
about 1731. Married Rebecca Hall in July 1775 (she was the daughter of Capt. John Hall of Dublin). In a
deed a Franks Bernard is made guardian of Frances, Susanna, Catherine and
Mary Bernard, all minors, children of Thomas (his brother)
(4). I have found no records of Franks and Rebecca having
- Henry (Harry) Bernard*. Born about 1732. Mentioned in his brother Benjamin’s will so still alive in 1796.
- Benjamin Bernard, Born about 1733, later lived in Bideford,
Devon. Army Colonel. Died 1796/7, leaving a will; Wife Ann Mawry. No children
- Jemma Bernard born
about 1734. In a deed between Jemma and her brother Franks in 1765 she
is described as a spinster (5).
- Richard Bernard* (later, of Ferbane, King's Co.) born about 1735. Married Elizabeth Jessop of Ferbane after Oct 1763 (7). Richard Bernard died in 1771
- Franks Bernard, born about 1764
- Thomas Bernard, born about 1766
- Benjamin Bernard born about 1767, married Jane Horne in 1805. He died before 1812 leaving John and Eleanor (minors)
* Birth order of sons described in a 1748 deed (6).
After Susanna's death Franks Bernard married Mary Grantham in 1735. (2)
Children of Franks and Mary (Grantham) Bernard:
- John Bernard. Born Jan 15th 1739. Died 1740
William Bernard Baptized May 5th 1742. Buried Oct 1742
Mary (Grantham) Bernard died in May 15th 1742.
Following Mary's death Franks Bernard married Margaret Bonham in 1750 (3).
- Susan Bernard, b. about 1712
- Mary Bernard,
b. about 1713 m. to James Butler.
Esq. about 1737; Son:
- Anne Bernard b. about 1714 m. to Edward Pickering, of Carlow; She died 1762.
- Deborah Bernard b. about 1716, m. ?
Registry of Deeds: Vol #, Page #, Memorial #
(1) Memorial 212/160/138761 Image#412
(2) Memorial 102/204/70383 Image#127
(3) Memorial 144/247/97348 Image#433
(4) Memorial 271/275/179704 Image#154
(5) Memorial 242/136/156076 Image#430
(6) Memorial 133/108/89682 Image#374
(7) Memorial 221/285/147855 Image# 488
To find the Memorial go to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland. Insert Volume# and Image #
Back to Charles Bernard of Laois