Origin: Apparently "sharn"means filth or dung so the name refers to a ford fouled by cattle.

Domesday: Hugh de Grandmesnil held 2 carucates. Land for 1 plough. 1 sokeman with 3 bordars have plough. Countess Judith held 1 carucates of land. Turchil held carucate of land. 3 bordars had 6 oxen.

A small village which still has an agricultural feel to it. Little is evidently old, most buildings are red brick and appear to date from after the mid to late 1800s.


The general feel of the place is not helped by the (old) A46 main road running through the centre.


The church is however attractive and mainly dates back to the 15 th century.



Sharnford was the home of the Ha(y)nes family from the 1790s and the Ellis family from around 1810 having moved from Claybrooke and Sapcote respectively.

For a description of the village in the mid 1800s a Directory of 1849 is attached