White's Directory 1863
White's Directory 1863

PEATLING-MAGNA, on the western acclivity of a pleasant valley watered by a small rivulet, 8 1/2 miles S. of Leicester, 7 miles WE. of Lutterworth. and 2 1/2 miles S.E. of Countesthorpe Station, on the Midland Railway, is a village and parish, containing 272 inhabitants and about 1900 acres of land, mostly a stiff clay. Wm. Smith Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Jervis family; but a great part of the soil belongs to H. B. Wayte, Robt. and Hy. Hall, J. S. Sherwin Gregory, and Wm. Newton, Esqrs., and Mrs. Hall. The ancient Manor House, which was occupied by the Jervis family in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries, was taken down about 30 years ago, and a farm-house built upon its site. Of this family there are many memorials hi the Church, which is an ancient structure, dedicated to All Saints, and having a tower, spire, and four bells. It does not appear to have ever had aisles. The nave and chancel are separated by an open oak screen, and have undergone many repairs. In the nave is an ancient circular font, the old parish chest, and some old wooden open seats, the earliest dated 1604. The building is partly in the early English and partly in the perpendicular style, but the tower and spire are of the geometrical period, and there is a modern brick porch on the north side of the church, and a wretched east window. One of the windows on the north side contains two small portions of ancient stained glass. A portion of the sedilia may still be seen, but the rest has been destroyed as well as the piscina to make way for a monument. On the north side of the chancel is a fine early English sepulchral recess, with deep mouldings and the tooth ornament; and near it are two fine alabaster tombs, one of which bears incised figures of Wm. Jervis and Katherine, his wife, the former of whom died in 1597, aged 94. Eighteen small figures ornament the end and side of this tomb, and six of them are in swaddling bands, probably children who died in infancy. The other tomb has incised representations of Wm. Jervis, who died in 1614, his wives Ann and Frances, and their two sons and two daughters. On the south side of the chancel is is a monument, with, kneeling figures of Wm. Jervis, and Elizabeth, his wife, the former of whom was high-sheriff of the county, and died in 1618. In the churchyard is the shaft of an old stone cross, erected in Roman Catholic times, and now braced together with iron. The benefice is a discharaged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 5, 10s. 2d., and consolidated with the rectory of Willoughby Waterless, in the patronage of Mrs. Blucke, and incumbency of her son, the Rev. W. S. Blucke, M.A. The two livings were united in 1720. On the rivulet here was formerly a Fulling Mill-, to which cloth was brought on pack horses from all the surrounding parishes. The Sunday school was built about 20 years ago, by the late William Hall, Esq., and is attended by about 90 children. The parish feast is on the Sunday after Nov. 12. Post from Lutterworth. Cadness Miss Catherine,

Chapman William, bricklayer

Holmes George, farm bailiff

Mawby John, shopkeeper and carrier to Leicester, Wednes. and Saturday

Chamberlain John Pollard Wm. wheelwright, carpenter, ;and vict. Cock Inn

Redgrave Joseph, shoemaker

Smith Win. blacksmith and par. clerk

Wagstaff Mr James

Wood Thomas, shoemaker

FARMERS. (Are Owners.)

Bosworth John

Chamberlain John

Clarke Henry

Fluke Rebecca

*Hall Mrs

Hall Robert

Horton William

Newton William

*Smith William, Peatling Lodge

*Wayte Hy.Brown

Williamson Chas.

To return to main Peatling Magna page